The 'Battle' for 3rd ( merged )

Waterboy

Fxxx the SPFL

St Midden are technically our closest challengers win their game in hand and they are only eight points behind and we play them away in ten days lets hope we beat both saints next two games.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Waterboy

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

10 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

St Midden are technically our closest challengers win their game in hand and they are only eight points behind and we play them away in ten days lets hope we beat both saints next two games.

The four teams below us all have to play one of the OF in the next couple of weeks.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say two victories for us over the two Saints will be enough to secure third.

Half glass full kinda thing !

👍

5 minutes ago, Boab said:

The four teams below us all have to play one of the OF in the next couple of weeks.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say two victories for us over the two Saints will be enough to secure third.

Half glass full kinda thing !

👍

Probably not that far off! To be in the position we're in having played all our games vs the OF before the split is really promising & I can't see any of the teams below being able to string enough of a run together to make up the points difference because they're all so evenly matched & take points off each other.

1 minute ago, boag1874 said:

Probably not that far off! To be in the position we're in having played all our games vs the OF before the split is really promising & I can't see any of the teams below being able to string enough of a run together to make up the points difference because they're all so evenly matched & take points off each other.

Yip.

If we can get 13 points ahead with 28 played, it would need a five game swing with 10 to play to remove us from 3rd. 

A catastrophic collapse that only the flairmiesters could achieve !

1 hour ago, CMc said:

This is excellent! (Even if I’d like some of the recent updates to be different…)

It feeLs a bit like we had a purple patch at the start of the season and then have struggled once teams have figured us out. It looks like the others have also struggled. I guess playing everyone 4 times is likely to do this. 

The JS situation led to a bit of a shake up in January. I’m really hoping we improve in the rest of the 3rd round of fixtures as we settle. 

I guess the best bit of data is the other teams have slumped as we have, therefore maintaining our advantage. 

Not sure we can say it was a purple patch at the start.

We actually won more matches in the second round of matches. The difference was we failed to take points from Celtic and Rangers in the second round (probably not a surprise being honest) and we lost away at Aberdeen and Motherwell (again historically for us not something that overly shocks).

I think the nature of the last two defeats (the score in one, and the opponent in the other) makes our current run seem so much worse (at least it does for me!).

Spread across the season a couple of losses to Rangers and Celtic, a home win against Motherwell, a draw at Easter Road and our hopefully ‘once this season’ shocker perhaps wouldn’t raise too many eyebrows. Put them together in a run (as we have) then it makes us all rather nervous and it looks as though it could be something more concerning.

I honestly don’t think it is something more concerning but I will feel much better when we get our back line up to full strength again.

31 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Spread across the season a couple of losses to Rangers and Celtic, a home win against Motherwell, a draw at Easter Road and our hopefully ‘once this season’ shocker perhaps wouldn’t raise too many eyebrows. Put them together in a run (as we have) then it makes us all rather nervous and it looks as though it could be something more concerning.

Couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, **** the SPFL said:

True, however they only have 3 home games left before the split, one of them against Rangers and one against Hearts.  The remaining 5 are obviously away, and include trips to Celtic and Motherwell.  Can't see them picking up anywhere near enough points to get close to us (by the end of the season...).

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

True, however they only have 3 home games left before the split, one of them against Rangers and one against Hearts.  The remaining 5 are obviously away, and include trips to Celtic and Motherwell.  Can't see them picking up anywhere near enough points to get close to us (by the end of the season...).

:thumbs_up:

4 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Indeed. We need to be like the early Roman emperors and really destroy some saints.

I'll get ma coat.

3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm ambitious for us to be 16 points clear at the split.  

Heh. Imagine if we were 16th clear of 4th but 16 behind the OF.

Just recall all our loan players and call up 6-7 players off the youth side and let them have a go.

3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm ambitious for us to be 16 points clear at the split.  

Meant to add that we're 10 clear now and the OF are in our rear widow.  St M game in hand is away to Dundee.  I don't think a 16 point gap is unrealistic in these circumstances.

35 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Meant to add that we're 10 clear now and the OF are in our rear widow.  St M game in hand is away to Dundee.  I don't think a 16 point gap is unrealistic in these circumstances.

Our run in to the split isn't the easiest, on paper the only game I would say we should be winning is the Livi at home match and we didn't even manage that a few days ago.  Away to St Mirren, St Johnstone, Dundee Utd and Ross County historically hasn't yielded many points. 

2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Our run in to the split isn't the easiest, on paper the only game I would say we should be winning is the Livi at home match and we didn't even manage that a few days ago.  Away to St Mirren, St Johnstone, Dundee Utd and Ross County historically hasn't yielded many points. 

Completely agree.  We will only achieve the 16 point gap if we deserve it.

I looked at the table today and was astounded to see that we are 20 points off top. It wasn't that long ago that we were 3 off Celtic. Consistency matters, and I feel we aren't that far away from achieving it.

jamboinglasgow
5 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

Not sure we can say it was a purple patch at the start.

We actually won more matches in the second round of matches. The difference was we failed to take points from Celtic and Rangers in the second round (probably not a surprise being honest) and we lost away at Aberdeen and Motherwell (again historically for us not something that overly shocks).

I think the nature of the last two defeats (the score in one, and the opponent in the other) makes our current run seem so much worse (at least it does for me!).

I honestly don’t think it is something more concerning but I will feel much better when we get our back line up to full strength again.

Would agree with this.

I also think the amount of tough games in quick succession will have taken it out on the team. I think the players were a bit drained with performances dropping off. I think having a few days off with a week between games should help a lot.

The players should see the coming games as a big opportunity. Get a few more wins over coming weeks and other teams will be too distracted with fights for fourth then focus on third. Having 4th-9th so competitive will also benefit us as there is no one team who can challenge us, St Mirren are on a good run but they could easily fall apart, then another team goes on a run which falls apart. I would say 6 wins between now and the end of the season and we will be third.

16 clear by the split with a semi final to look forward to would be immense. Has anyone else clinched 3rd before the split? Other than the teams that finished 1st and 2nd obviously. 

1 minute ago, Norm said:

16 clear by the split with a semi final to look forward to would be immense. Has anyone else clinched 3rd before the split? Other than the teams that finished 1st and 2nd obviously. 

I'm honestly wondering how often, in any league, third has been locked down with 1-2 and 4-6 to play for with five matches left. It could absolutely happen this season.

11 minutes ago, JamboCampbell said:

3rd place was done and dusted a few weeks ago. 10 points is a massive gap in this league.

Great position to be in

Knuckle down,take our chances this weekend and there's a good chance other results will see this 10 point gap extended. Do the double against St Miren and its easy Street.

Our to lose,as they say.

14 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

This season that's been two wins and two draws so I'm reasonably optimistic.

If we don't finish third I want Neilson sacked, hung, drawn, quartered, his balls cut off and shoved down his thoat....then his remains burnt and then thrown in the sewer!

No way we should be throwing away a lead like that.

Italian Lambretta
7 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

If we don't finish third I want Neilson sacked, hung, drawn, quartered, his balls cut off and shoved down his thoat....then his remains burnt and then thrown in the sewer!

No way we should be throwing away a lead like that.

Im not convinced he has any balls.

wattie exploited

with the way we have been playing since the split how many people on here think we will get third spot !

I personally will be gutted if we don't but with the way of play and losing to the bottom two teams  who haven't won in 19 games and 10 games previous before playing hearts does not offer  a lot off promise !

we lack creativity in midfield and look really lack of ideas right now !

fair enough we had made a great start to the season which was great to watch but now it is back to being pretty bleak !

we need the energy back in the team which we seem to have lost of late :rifle:  

Edited by wattie exploited

The split hasn't happened yet, but I'll play along in your parallel universe.

As the split has happened and we're well ahead I fancy us for 3rd.

So, it's a reality vote from me in a hypothetical manner. 

14 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

The split hasn't happened yet, but I'll play along in your parallel universe.

As the split has happened and we're well ahead I fancy us for 3rd.

So, it's a reality vote from me in a hypothetical manner. 

I think it's clear he meant the break.

Care to play along with that?

We have a handy lead but we’ve been poor for the last couple of months. I think the last game we played well was the 5-2 game against Dundee United in November. Still in our hands but we need to get back winning asap. 

33 minutes ago, wattie exploited said:

with the way we have been playing since the split how many people on here think we will get third spot !

I personally will be gutted if we don't but with the way of play and losing to the bottom two teams  who haven't won in 19 games and 10 games previous before playing hearts does not offer  a lot off promise !

fair enough we had made a great start to the season which was great to watch but now it is back to being pretty bleak !

Our movement off the ball is chronic.

And there seems to be very little set play imagination.

Whilst I think we’ll probably get 3rd my concern is we’ve just lost 2 games to teams who “wanted it more”. I worry if it got into a proper fight we don’t have the momentum to step up. 

Jambof3tornado

We wont finish 3rd, we will fail to turn the corner and our slump will continue. I genuinely cannot see us beating anyone post split and we'll struggle up to that point.

As mentioned by a previous poster we've been poor since the united game.

Sleepwalking along into a mediocre season.

26 minutes ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

We won’t finish 3rd spot if this shit show keeps continuing. Team needs to start playing more direct attacking football 

Change of manager required if we want to see what you are suggesting. Sadly I really don't see him going anywhere. He survived the worst result in the clubs history so no way will he get fired because of the teams current form. Pains me to say this. 

7 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

Your last sentence is the key, energy, we started yesterday, slow, very slow, even for them was bad, and lost a goal, we need to be like a greyhound out the traps at the start and be the ones getting the ball not them, hopefully this will happen in the next games, we are still well ahead and im confident of 3rd.

Once again we find ourselves talking about bottle and attitude . 

Our players are soft as shite and we accept mediocrity throughout the club when the chips are down .

There had been a cosy wee family culture fostered at the club for years now and that doesn't work at a football club , you need a few *******s from top to bottom to survive the inevitable slumps.

For that reason i think we could struggle to dig ourselves out of this, we have zero leaders on and off the park to do it. 

12 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Change of manager required if we want to see what you are suggesting. Sadly I really don't see him going anywhere. He survived the worst result in the clubs history so no way will he get fired because of the teams current form. Pains me to say this. 

Serios question to you and the rest of the clowns punting this angle.

Do you seriously think in your wildest dreams that we are going to sack a guy who has us sitting 9 points clear in 3rd place and in the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup ? I mean seriously? 

It was the same last season, once the mission was accomplished, the foot came off the gas. I think it’s the same this season , before anyone pipes up I am aware of injuries etc, but I do think the players consider third place buttoned up.

IF this is the case with our players and Manager then it’s not good enough, it lacks respect for the fans, it’s lazy and it’s a totally unprofessional attitude.

Just now, ramrod said:

Do you seriously think in your wildest dreams that we are going to sack a guy who has us sitting 9 points clear in 3rd place and in the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup ? I mean seriously? 

If you read what I said you will clearly see that I said there is no way he will be sacked. So please open your eyes fully. 

8 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Our players are soft as shite and we accept mediocrity throughout the club when the chips are down .

There had been a cosy wee family culture fostered at the club for years now and that doesn't work at a football club , you need a few *******s from top to bottom to survive the inevitable slumps.

For that reason i think we could struggle to dig ourselves out of this, we have zero leaders on and off the park to do it. 

So who is to blame for us being soft as shite with a cosy family culture. 

5 minutes ago, ramrod said:

A half decent manager would have us in exactly the same position.  A decent manager would have us about 12 points more. Dundee,St Johnstone, Hibs and Aberdeen. All games we should have won.

3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

What i dont get is these players are playing for the 3rd biggest team in scotland and should be giving 110% effort every week, some of us can only dream of playing at this level, possession counts for nothing as well, brighton had 69% against burnley and lost 3-0, we have to finish a lot better, too much faffing about the box.

Just now, Boris5115 said:

So who is to blame for us being soft as shite with a cosy family culture. 

Who knows , but its pretty clear thats the case and its been evident for years now.

It's no coincidence we are generally dreadful away from home and against teams at the foot of the table.  They get in our faces and we don't fancy it .

Just now, ramrod said:

Who knows , but its pretty clear thats the case and its been evident for years now.

It's no coincidence we are generally dreadful away from home and against teams at the foot of the table.  They get in our faces and we don't fancy it .

Well it's pretty evident to me that the people who run the club have made us this way. It would be interesting to know just how much input James Anderson is having as I've been told by an employee of Baillie Gifford this guy doesn't suffer fools. 

7 hours ago, Russ1977 said:

We have a handy lead but we’ve been poor for the last couple of months. I think the last game we played well was the 5-2 game against Dundee United in November. Still in our hands but we need to get back winning asap. 

November? Jeezo. That's bleak reading. 

35 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

My fear is we'll leave it too late .. yet again .. to either change our method, style, thinking whatever with the current set up .. or change management .. but something needs done !

6 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

Well it's pretty evident to me that the people who run the club have made us this way. It would be interesting to know just how much input James Anderson is having as I've been told by an employee of Baillie Gifford this guy doesn't suffer fools. 

Unfortunately for us I don't think he'll be to involved in the footballing side of the business that much.

The last  game at Ibrox has ****ed up our season imo

We got mullerd there and the players bottles have collapsed yet again.

The management have got to take responsibility as much as the players, not so much for the result,  as that can happen at Ibrox or Parkhead, but for the subsequent response.

We should be strong enough to put that result behind us and move on to beating the shite again, but once again we've bottled it feeling sorry for ourselves

Now evey club in the league smells blood when they play us . All the respect we've built up in the season is evaporating thanks to bottle and guts yet again. 

It really in embarrassing how quickly we fold when we get one going over.

Relegation form since the start of the year, so obviously if that continues we won’t get 3rd.  We need to get our shit together and now. We have Aberdeen and hibs at home but after the break the away games are likely to be horrendous.

Unfortunately under Neilson it’s returned to eye bleeding football and eye bleeding away form.  I dreaded it would return but it has. I have zero inclination to go to away games again which is sad and even travelling 50+ miles midweek  home games look unappealing due to his sides powderpuff shiteness. The squad themselves are fast becoming a disgrace and the manager needs to be replaced regardless of position end of season

Edited by 1971fozzy

3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

The last  game at Ibrox has ****ed up our season imo

We got mullerd there and the players bottles have collapsed yet again.

I agree with the game at Ibrox but I don’t think it’s bottle but that the confidence took a dull one and we need a win to get back on track. 

• davemclaren changed the title to The 'Battle' for 3rd ( merged )