energy prices

Masonic

19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Looks like your current rates tie in with mine so I assume I'll be going to the same rates you've been offered from Oct.

If so looks like a £7pm saving for me. Exciting times ahead :lol:

don't spend it all at once

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Looks like your current rates tie in with mine so I assume I'll be going to the same rates you've been offered from Oct.

If so looks like a £7pm saving for me. Exciting times ahead :lol:

I could change as well and save the same.

Can’t be bothered for that amount.

mrmarkus1981_1

My email says I should up my DD from 150 to 168. When I log on to 'change my tarrif' the best deal they have is 188. Talk about miscommunication!! I'll sling them £100 if it's a cold winter and they can GTF

• 3 weeks later...

We should brace ourselves for rising gas prices due to the war in Gaza. 

Just seen this on the BBC 6pm news. 

Jeremy Hunt says it will “take time” for prices to lower. 

First it was covid, then it was Ukraine, then it was the exchange rate, then it was inflation, then it was OPEC cutting back on production levels. 

Lies and excuses by the energy companies to fleece us. 

Greedy, greedy barstewards are rubbing their hands together!!!

Israel isnt even an oil producing country and theres no major oil infrastructure anywhere near the place!!!

Dafuq is Gaza being levelled got to do with the oil and gas price??? 

Speculators and Financiers no doubt see an opportunity to make a few Billions more at our expense. BBC just lap it up. Whos asking the questions that need asked?

We get told anything and because its on the BBC, it just get accepted. 

Just in time for winter. 

Wanx. 

On 26/09/2023 at 22:20, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

My email says I should up my DD from 150 to 168. When I log on to 'change my tarrif' the best deal they have is 188. Talk about miscommunication!! I'll sling them £100 if it's a cold winter and they can GTF

When Octopus took over my account, I have been making sure I know my usage and tariffs.

They ask me to pay £330pm, a few months back, I was a year in with them. I then knew my usage and tariffs and caculated £260pm. I cut my payment myself to £295.

A new fixed rate taken out, £246 monthly.

Up to this month they kept advising me to pay £330 pm.

Other than that issue, very pleased with Octopus.

henrysmithsgloves
1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

First it was covid, then it was Ukraine, then it was the exchange rate, then it was inflation, then it was OPEC cutting back on production levels. 

Israel isnt even an oil producing country and theres no major oil infrastructure anywhere near the place!!!

Speculators and Financiers no doubt see an opportunity to make a few Billions more at our expense. BBC just lap it up. Whos asking the questions that need asked?

Just in time for winter. 

Wanx. 

Only thing that should go up in price are Jaffa oranges.

On 08/09/2023 at 14:20, Cade said:

This is why you Nationalise all the strategic national industries.

No more being held ransom by profiteers.

The people with money are the people in power, the people in power are the people with money, nothing is going to change unless we all put commando gear on and start shooting people. 

That's not a tip, by the way. I'm just making a point. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

BBC news were discussing soaring consumer debt to the energy companies.

Can't see anything on website.

Just being some £2.6b has now, don't quote me on this, but it has went up by £0.5b in months of Spring, when bills should be lower.

Energy companies (bless them) are wanting Government intervention.

Cluster****.

16 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Just in time for winter. 

Wanx. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/israels-gas-reserves-grew-by-40-over-past-decade-report-2023-06-22/

14 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

The people with money are the people in power, the people in power are the people with money, nothing is going to change unless we all put commando gear on and start shooting people. 

That's not a tip, by the way. I'm just making a point. 

Also because they control the narrative and have hammered home the privatisation line since 1979.

And the electorate lap it up, and where are we now?

Crumbling infrastructure, soaring costs and energy insecurity.

Tory ****ers.

17 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

When Octopus took over my account, I have been making sure I know my usage and tariffs.

They ask me to pay £330pm, a few months back, I was a year in with them. I then knew my usage and tariffs and caculated £260pm. I cut my payment myself to £295.

A new fixed rate taken out, £246 monthly.

Up to this month they kept advising me to pay £330 pm.

Other than that issue, very pleased with Octopus.

Just fixed mine last night with Octopus as well, at the same tariff as I was paying on the standard variable tariff, £118 pm, which is only £2 pm more than I was already paying. 

Of course bills could come down over the next 12 months (mmmm), but if they did it will probably be single digit %, whereas any increases will more than likely be well in the double digit % bracket, I could be wrong of course.

Footballfirst

Looking at MSE website, they are predicting the following quarterly variations for 2024 (less certainty the further ahead)

Jan-Mar +3.5%

Apr-Jun -4%

Jul-Sep -2%

Oct-Dec +2.5%

Fixing certainly takes the unknown variables (conflicts and natural disasters) out of the equation, but the fixes I've seen are all a bit higher than I'm currently paying, e.g. my current supplier SO Energy is asking for £106 a year more for their fixed tariff.

I'll hold off for the moment in the hope that, with a more certain and settled outlook, suppliers will start undercutting the cap.

2 hours ago, Boris said:

Also because they control the narrative and have hammered home the privatisation line since 1979.

Tory ****ers.

If you see Sid,  tell him. 👍

:wonga:

On 14/10/2023 at 11:14, Boris said:

Tory ****ers.

And the only time since 1979 when those ****ers weren't in charge, we had labour trying to be like them and diving head first into PFI buildings.

PFI contracts were generally 25-30 years, and rent has to be renegotiated after that. That's got to be looming on the horizon, and I can't imagine the owners will be looking for less.

I'll give Blair his , he sold a better life to everyone back in 97. Starmer isn't selling anything,  the Tories are just horrendous,  but are still in the hunt. Mental. 

Edited by ri Alban

On 13/10/2023 at 18:23, Pans Jambo said:

Just in time for winter. 

Wanx. 

When we are being 'advised' what the increases and decreases will be for the next 12 months, I can see why many think it's all just huge racketeering by the government and energy firms. 

2 hours ago, hmfcbilly said:

When we are being 'advised' what the increases and decreases will be for the next 12 months, I can see why many think it's all just huge racketeering by the government and energy firms. 

Let's not forget Centrica's record profits

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 10:48, OBE said:

Cold still nights, no movement of air apart from the expelled air from your lungs, breathe on a cold window you get condensation, bedrooms are bad, warm moist air rises.

Moving from mild to cold temperatures, see folks closing windows and turning heating on. The moisture has nowhere to got, especially if there's no wind outside.

I bought a Probreeze dehumidifier £180. Placed it on the middle of the landing. When I first switched it on the humidity level read 76%, after a few runs, it's now down to 56% and removed 12litres of water from the air upstairs...37p an hour to run.

We have had issues over winter drying clothes. Don't have a tumble dryer so the clothes horse and hanging over radiators is the only option. Obviously in the winter you don't want to have windows open though so airflow is an issue and often the clothes end up smelling damp as it's taken so long for them to dry/nowhere for the moisture to escape. 

Looking a getting a Dehumidifier to help with this as we have a baby on the way shortly so imagine our washing will become a fair bit more regular and we will want stuff properly dried. 

Seen the Probreeze getting good reviews, is it still performing well a year later? 

36 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

We have had issues over winter drying clothes. Don't have a tumble dryer so the clothes horse and hanging over radiators is the only option. Obviously in the winter you don't want to have windows open though so airflow is an issue and often the clothes end up smelling damp as it's taken so long for them to dry/nowhere for the moisture to escape. 

Looking a getting a Dehumidifier to help with this as we have a baby on the way shortly so imagine our washing will become a fair bit more regular and we will want stuff properly dried. 

Seen the Probreeze getting good reviews, is it still performing well a year later? 

Aye, it's still performing very well. The model I purchased has a mode specifically for drying clothes. Load the clothes horse, stick it in the smallest room, switch on the dehumidifier, couple of hours later clothes are dry. I was sceptical initially, but I needn't have been, these things work.

5 hours ago, OBE said:

Aye, it's still performing very well. The model I purchased has a mode specifically for drying clothes. Load the clothes horse, stick it in the smallest room, switch on the dehumidifier, couple of hours later clothes are dry. I was sceptical initially, but I needn't have been, these things work.

What size do you have @OBE ?

or recommend.

7 hours ago, OBE said:

Good stuff, cheers!

16 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Yep. Recommend a dehumidifier here. We have one and it isn't costly to run and helps dry the washing.

I’ve got a wee 500ml 20W dehumidifier in my office and it does a brilliant job. Pretty much empty it from full at the end of every week.

In the summer my humid will be around 40% but that doubles from about now right through the winter.

Just left Scottish Gas as I've moved house. I was originally paying £330 a month for an electric only, 3 bedroom older house that was F rated for heat efficiency. The new house is a new build 4 bedroom and A rated for heat efficiency, needless to say Scottish Gas wanted £500 a month for gas and electricity as it had an extra bedroom and just in case I was going to use more.

I told them to bolt as Octupus were quoting £152 a month. I got an email asking if I could fill in a survey for their performance and the last question was "would you pay more if a company offered great customer service?" Surely this should be standard!!

Edited by Statts1976uk

On 08/09/2023 at 14:20, Cade said:

This is why you Nationalise all the strategic national industries.

No more being held ransom by profiteers.

On 13/10/2023 at 18:30, Cade said:

Record prices.

Record profits.

Record dividends.

Record salaries.

Record bonuses.

Record number of excuses.

On 14/10/2023 at 09:09, Tommy Brown said:

BBC news were discussing soaring consumer debt to the energy companies.

Can't see anything on website.

Just being some £2.6b has now, don't quote me on this, but it has went up by £0.5b in months of Spring, when bills should be lower.

Energy companies (bless them) are wanting Government intervention.

Cluster****.

We are £210 a month Dual Fuel for a 3 bedroom with 1 of us working from home most of the time. This seems pretty high compared to what our mates are paying but there's not really anymore we can do to cut costs. 

Last year we used 6500KW/h Electric and about 7000Kw/h Gas.

Anyone else similar?

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

We are £210 a month Dual Fuel for a 3 bedroom with 1 of us working from home most of the time. This seems pretty high compared to what our mates are paying but there's not really anymore we can do to cut costs. 

Anyone else similar?

Does seem fairly high. Is it an old property?

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Anyone else similar?

Monetary wise we seem similar, I am 4-bed.

I am double your gas, but abit over half your electric.

From my Hugo, that I think you recommended 👍

I have more accurate data on my laptop  but I'm away for the weekend.

Screenshot_20231103_200805_Hugo.jpg

1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Does seem fairly high. Is it an old property?

1930s aye. Loft Conversion too

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

Monetary wise we seem similar, I am 4-bed.

I am double your gas, but abit over half your electric.

From my Hugo, that I think you recommended 👍

I have more accurate data on my laptop  but I'm away for the weekend.

Screenshot_20231103_200805_Hugo.jpg

Yeah I probably did as that where I get my info. No idea where all the electricity goes. We never leave lights on, and they are all LEDs too. The Shower is Electric so that will contribute a fair bit I imagine, but obviously saves on the gas. 
We also most use our air fryer over the oven when we can. We have underfloor heating in bathroom and kitchen which we have turned off to see if it makes a significant impact but it doesn't!
The neighbours must be hooked into our electric box.