Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

AlphonseCapone

Ukrainian children being murdered by the Russians and the same gimps are going on about Sturgeon. Pathetic. 

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

That would be excellent news if true. It will take a mutiny or rebellion from within to remove Putin. 

NEW: Russia's 40-mile long tank, artillery, and supply convoy moving toward Kyiv has mostly "stalled," per a senior U.S. defense official. "We don’t believe that it is making a lot of progress," the official said, partly due to supply troubles.

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I think it’s an interesting phenomenon which is linked to something someone posted here a few days ago.

Social media and 24/7 news in our pockets means we feel arguably more involved in such events than ever before. It’s not a newspaper we get this 81st from, it’s a personalised, cookified, curated set of sources that we have chosen to consume. It’s only logical that, having involved ourselves on the same devices we use to call our friends, loved ones and do our work on, we feel the need to have some sort of involvement, no matter how insignificant it is.

Slacktivism 

this is a good article 

https://www.citizenlab.co/blog/civic-engagement/slacktivism/

SwindonJambo
3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:
NEW: Russia's 40-mile long tank, artillery, and supply convoy moving toward Kyiv has mostly "stalled," per a senior U.S. defense official. "We don’t believe that it is making a lot of progress," the official said, partly due to supply troubles.

Just seen it on the BBC live feed. It looks like a lot of this operation has been poorly planned, with untrained troops using ancient unreliable kit and they're not even feeding them! A mass surrender of pissed off Russian troops would be good. They can't possibly feel good about killing their Slav brethren. 

Lord Montpelier
1 minute ago, SwindonJambo said:

Just seen it on the BBC live feed. It looks like a lot of this operation has been poorly planned, with untrained troops using ancient unreliable kit and they're not even feeding them! A mass surrender of pissed off Russian troops would be good. They can't possibly feel good about killing their Slav brethren. 

Hopefully the Ukrainians can make the most of this and counter attack. 

SwindonJambo
5 minutes ago, Lord Montpelier said:

Hopefully the Ukrainians can make the most of this and counter attack. 

They're certainly a tough,brave and determined lot. This will bind them together as a nation for sure. I think Putin's statement that they aren't really a country has stirred them right up. 

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

£14m? That shows how much they value the Tories. About an hour of the cost of the Ukrainian invasion? Maybe less?

Enough to get their way I suppose. 

10 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Well exactly. Be like the UK going to war with and invading Ireland. Couldnt imagine killing folk in somewhere I have friends and have went on holiday to. Russian soldiers must be wondering why they are being forced to kill their ilk. 

SwindonJambo
2 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Good! About time too. 
we should treat Belarus no differently from Russia. ****s!!!

Totally agree. But they're not all counts. Only their leader and his henchmen. There was a very vocal and visible opposition to Lukashenko at the last set of bent elections, which was violently suppressed. Hopefully he'll get his arse handed to him on a plate too after this.

Francis Albert
23 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I don’t think I’ve met any Russians enthusiastic about much bar chess and vodka.

I have met a few who are enthusiastic about Robert Burns. A big country that deserves more than stereotypes.

4 minutes ago, SwindonJambo said:

Totally agree. But they're not all counts. Only their leader and his henchmen. There was a very vocal and visible opposition to Lukashenko at the last set of bent elections, which was violently suppressed. Hopefully he'll get his arse handed to him on a plate too after this.

👍

I get it. Even the Russian people have been mostly against this invasion. A good few have relatives in Ukraine. The soldiers go where the politicians point them. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Enough to get their way I suppose. 

Get there way about what exactly? For the price of one of the cheaper flats in Belgravia ?

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

she deviates from WM in every single topic at every single opportunity - this is a time for national unity..

Fundamental flaws in you other points as well but not the place for it

It's yet another tricky one for the Nationalists when basically what Ukraine is doing, is pretty much the opposite of what the SNP is for.

They should really be coming out in support of Lukhansk and Donbass given their aims exactly mirror each other.

Not so much of a bandwagon to jump on there though.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, pablo said:

It's yet another tricky one for the Nationalists when basically what Ukraine is doing, is pretty much the opposite of what the SNP is for.

They should really be coming out in support of Lukhansk and Donbass given their aims exactly mirror each other.

An inconvenient truth 

1 minute ago, pablo said:

In what way do their aims exactly mirror each other? 
Has England invaded Scotland with tanks and cruise missiles???

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, pablo said:

Just now, JamesM48 said:

An inconvenient truth 

You guys don't half talk some shit when it comes to Scottish independence.

2 minutes ago, pablo said:

So Ukraine wanting to be a sovereign nation and not under control of a bigger neighbour is the opposite of what the SNP stand for?

Interesting.

The White Cockade
16 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

Putin might be nuts but he's also an SNP enabler and disgraced Salmond's bully pulpit on RT is proof positive of that. Nicolie Insurgent is carrying on his efforts to destroy Britain and is doing a very good job of running Scotland into the ground while bleeding Westminster. It's a sideshow for Putin but every little helps. Agent Nicolie will also be on RT when she hangs up and Krankies will keep their wee heeds in the sand. 

Get a grip 

why do people feel the need to post up made up crap?

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Children being killed and it's just another excuse to troll for pleasure for people.  

Jings.

And an excuse for others to demean  , discredit  and mock others views . Bringing the deaths of children into it is a low blow . A desperate one . Calculated . 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

And an excuse for others to demean  , discredit  and mock others views . Bringing the deaths of children into it is a low blow . A desperate one . Calculated . 

:wtf:

Watching the news now. Ordinary folks, men and women filling beer bottles with petrol to make

molotov cocktails and manning blockades with AK47’s in the hope that they will be able to defend their streets and homes from the massive Russian army bearing down on them. 

Just unbelievable bravery. Incredible. 

indianajones

How much failure and backing into the corner will Putin put up with and what will he do when he's had enough? 

Pretty horrible thought. 

2 hours ago, Herbert said:

Mind in the 30s and 40s when some people stripped money and possessions from millions of people  because they were Jewish, Gypsy, gay  Polish etc. We shouldn't punish people because they are Russian. For all you know you've cut the funds of someone willing to take putin on.

2 hours ago, Herbert said:

Are all Russians bad then?

You nearly got the point with your first reply, the second is just risible.

The oligarchs targeted for sanctions are known to fund/influence Putin. Cutting off their funds is not due to racism, it is precisely because they will agitate with Putin because they want their money back. Or they will starve Putin of funding that he was relying on.

Wider sanctions will hurt the Russian people but not half as much as the Russian missiles and bullets will hurt the Ukranian people. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

You joining up to fight then?

Aye, because the UK, US and EU have no professional military and don’t spend billions on them year on year

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, indianajones said:

How much failure and backing into the corner will Putin put up with and what will he do when he's had enough? 

Pretty horrible thought. 

This is the problem . Saw what happened with Germany after world war 1 . Internationally humiliated . 

“ I don’t know how world war 3 will be fought but I know world war 4 will be fought with sticks and stones “ 

manaliveits105

Edinburgh Ukrainian Club Facebook page has details of their appeal and in photos section a list of what can be donated apart from money and times Ukrainian Community Centre open at 14 Royal Terrace for drop offs 

I read the article about the missing Russian air force and that the Ukranian air force is still functioning. I wonder why then then never deployed to attack the Russian convoys?

Of course there are risks of hitting civilians but there must have been at least a couple of opportunities.

I guess as well that given the age of these jets, their accuracy will be off by some bit as well.

2 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Pretty horrible thought. 

Worrying piece on Sky News about Putin sidelining his more moderate advisors, pretty much left with hardliners and security types now.

1 minute ago, indianajones said:

Pretty horrible thought. 

From some of the stuff I've read/watched today, people closer to Putin are more concerned than western analysts. Macron described him as more different during their last meeting. 

If it is true Putin has been ill/is ill and wants to cement his legacy, yeah it could be a balancing act as to how much you risk hemming him in.

That said, I thought it was revealing that he went very bullish and very aggressive with his posturing as soon as he attacked. I would have expected someone with his experience, both in power and in the KGB, to play his biggest cards only when he had to. Again, it perhaps betrays his desire to reach his aims sooner rather than later, which ties back in to the first point re his mindset/health.

I hope that both much better analysts than some bod on a fitba forum, and experienced diplomats, are continually assessing this and maintaining any open diplomatic channels in the background. 

3 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

You nearly got the point with your first reply, the second is just risible.

The oligarchs targeted for sanctions are known to fund/influence Putin. Cutting off their funds is not due to racism, it is precisely because they will agitate with Putin because they want their money back. Or they will starve Putin of funding that he was relying on.

Wider sanctions will hurt the Russian people but not half as much as the Russian missiles and bullets will hurt the Ukranian people. 

One of them,  Mikhail Fridman,  has been crying about the unfairness of being targeted and demonised and denied any influence he might have.  No direct condemnation of Putin of course.  And quite happy to have gained his obscene wealth through the Russian gangster system while the going was good.

It's a thoroughly disgusting world.

3 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Worrying piece on Sky News about Putin sidelining his more moderate advisors, pretty much left with hardliners and security types now.

Sounds familiar.

Lone Striker

Dearie me.   Despite the horrific situation which is engulfing eastern Europe and potentially spreading, there's an absurd amount of bo11ox getting posted tonight.

Back on topic-  whats this all about ?

df4b3c90-98c2-11ec-adbf-41ff3d72969f.cf.webp

Photos of Putin at the head of  3 different huge tables with everyone else at the other end.    WHats the intended message ?     

"Look at me, I'm in charge"  or    "Thanks for attending, but I don't care what you think or say"

or  could it be virus-related ?  Is Putin paranoid about getting Covid or something even worse ?

Its a very strange way to conduct a meeting with your senior staff - the ones you actually rely on to keep you in power.

1 minute ago, Lone Striker said:

or  could it be virus-related ?  Is Putin paranoid about getting Covid or something even worse ?

This.

All his meetings seem to have been at distance due to covid.

Alex Kintner
37 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Watching the news now. Ordinary folks, men and women filling beer bottles with petrol to make

molotov cocktails and manning blockades with AK47’s in the hope that they will be able to defend their streets and homes from the massive Russian army bearing down on them. 

Just unbelievable bravery. Incredible. 

It’s hard to even imagine being in that sort of situation. So surreal and just so tragic. 😔

7 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Dearie me.   Despite the horrific situation which is engulfing eastern Europe and potentially spreading, there's an absurd amount of bo11ox getting posted tonight.

Photos of Putin at the head of  3 different huge tables with everyone else at the other end.    WHats the intended message ?     

"Look at me, I'm in charge"  or    "Thanks for attending, but I don't care what you think or say"

Its a very strange way to conduct a meeting with your senior staff - the ones you actually rely on to keep you in power.

There's been speculation that he could have health issues. Possibly keeping his distance to protect a weakened immune system? 

8 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Could be a number of things.  Covid.  Big power projection choreography.  Maybe a sleight of hand to project a false impression to the west re his state of mind,  etc

Lone Striker

Clive Myrie just signed off at the end of the 10 o'clock news  in a rather  worrying way.   He's a brave guy going into war zones (now in a big underground room with other folk), but the reality of what's coming seems to have hit home.   

dobmisterdobster

Putin has had plenty of practice in Syria.

Mariupol is surrounded and could be the next Aleppo. This could get very ugly. 😔

Alex Kintner
24 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Pretty horrible thought. 

20 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

This is what worries me. Slow progress coupled with growing info about his own soldiers laying down arms may just push him into more escalated action. The illness stuff is worrying too as he does seem the type who would go out inna blaze of ‘glory’.

Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

Putin has had plenty of practice in Syria.

Mariupol is surrounded and could be the next Aleppo. This could get very ugly. 😔

I saw a tweet from a Ukrainian yesterday that basically said instead of watching Kyiv the world should be watching Mariupol. 

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

He probably stands to gain as much from people thinking he’s nuts as from making any conciliatory gestures. He’s finished on the international stage, is untouchable at home, and has a big enough arsenal to piss about for years, all the time causing suffering to both his own folk and others without a shred of regret on his conscience. Nukes would spoil the fun he’s having.

The only end I can see that isn't disastrous is Putin being "replaced" from the inside. There must be senior officials who don't want Russia as the enemy of the world.

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

This.

All his meetings seem to have been at distance due to covid.

It’s a classic “ I’m in charge “ piece of work place furniture dynamics . If he is worried about covid , that’s a good sign as it means he wants to stay alive so that’s good for us . 😎 actually him “catching covid “ and dying from it might be the perfect way out of it for his team . It’ll save face all round . Unless they replace him with an even nuttier nut job . 

Seymour M Hersh
14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

This.

All his meetings seem to have been at distance due to his paranoia.

Ftfy.

dobmisterdobster
5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I saw a tweet from a Ukrainian yesterday that basically said instead of watching Kyiv the world should be watching Mariupol. 

They are probably right. All the action seems to be happening east of the Dnieper. It's a giant pincer movement.

87806492_Screenshot_2022-03-01-18-03-58-726_com.google.android.youtube2.thumb.jpg.c7575dac3059f2ac73ad66b4733c2e87.jpg

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

The only end I can see that isn't disastrous is Putin being "replaced" from the inside. There must be senior officials who don't want Russia as the enemy of the world.

It would need all of the top officials or one who was prepared to pay the consequences. 

What if he's weeded out the more pacifist Generals leaving the psychos and rabid war-mongering mad dogs?