• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

Had a very cheery chap from City Fibre call me to announce that they are now installed in my street and I can switch to them - until I told him that I pay £27 for 500MB fibre with Hyperoptic at which point he sounded down and admitted he could not match that...

On 17/09/2023 at 14:04, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

I know people on benefits who work full time

Blow that whistle! We all pay for them to steal our taxes...Pretty stupid if you can do something about it but opt not to.

Nucky Thompson

Had to laugh when I saw that Greece's inflation rate was one of the lowest at 2%.

Just got back from Zante and everything was at least 50% dearer than 18 months ago.

I didn't buy petrol, but I noticed that diesel was 1.99 a litre and unleaded was 2.17

il Duce McTarkin
5 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Blow that whistle! We all pay for them to steal our taxes...Pretty stupid if you can do something about it but opt not to.

It's possible to work full time and claim benefits perfectly legitimately. 

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Had to laugh when I saw that Greece's inflation rate was one of the lowest at 2%.

Just got back from Zante and everything was at least 50% dearer than 18 months ago.

I didn't buy petrol, but I noticed that diesel was 1.99 a litre and unleaded was 2.17

My old man just back from Crete and reckons it's Edinburgh prices.

6 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

How does that work alongside minimum wage - is minimum wage just a nonsense?

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Tax credits help those on minimal wage when really the employers could pay a decent wage . 

Unknown user
28 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Which is exactly what I was getting at.

There are people working full time who receive taxpayer money because the employer doesn't pay enough to live on.

The taxpayer literally subsidising the employer's profits.

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, ǝǝɥʇᴉɯS said:

Which is exactly what I was getting at.

There are people working full time who receive taxpayer money because the employer doesn't pay enough to live on.

The taxpayer literally subsidising the employer's profits.

Or the taxpayer subsidising the cost to the consumer of the service or product as the company/employer margins are, well, marginal. 

Either way it's a bit of a feedback loop and part of a broken system.

Unknown user
39 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Bloody hell, there goes the cheap option

Nucky Thompson
52 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

That doesn't surprise me,

I've always found Crete the most expensive of the Greek islands

il Duce McTarkin
26 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That doesn't surprise me,

I've always found Crete the most expensive of the Greek islands

Are you still barred from Crete for your exploits in the '90s?

Nucky Thompson
4 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Are you still barred from Crete for your exploits in the '90s?

Nah, that's Belgium you're thinking about :biggrin2:

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Minimum wage is a nonsense, and the 'living wage' should be re-termed the existing wage. There's very little dignity in either.  

Greedy Jambo
29 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Minimum wage is a nonsense, and the 'living wage' should be re-termed the existing wage. There's very little dignity in either.  

However, If the minimum wage didn't exist, some employers would get away with paying people even less!

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

However, If the minimum wage didn't exist, some employers would get away with paying people even less!

Yep. So its swings and roundabouts in some ways. 

Why is unleaded 10p cheaper at the Tesco in Dingwall than it is in Musselburgh?  Same with Sainsbury's just outside Kilmarnock. They're ripping the piss out of us here.

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Yes they would, but it's still not enough to avoid some folk that are working full time having to rely on benefits to make ends meet.

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yep. So its swings and roundabouts in some ways. 

It's not swings and roundabouts at all, it's saying that a poke in the eye with a sharp stick is better than a poke in the eye with a shitty stick.

il Duce McTarkin
25 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Why is unleaded 10p cheaper at the Tesco in Dingwall than it is in Musselburgh?  Same with Sainsbury's just outside Kilmarnock. They're ripping the piss out of us here.

Profiteering. Pure and simple.

Greedy Jambo
44 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

That's a new low, if true, I've not seen a supermarket petrol station rip the piss, it's usually the BP's, etc on a main road that does it. 

That's when you know they're profiteering, but nothing gets done. 

DON'T GO TO LIZZY BRICE

Greedy Jambo

I mentioned a few weeks ago that a couple of local businesses i know have gone tits up, well now another one has hit the fan. 

I don't think people/the government know what's about to happen here. 

It's cool if you've got loads of money, you'll not notice, but for the working man/woman, it's game over. 

Edited by Greedy Jambo

33 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Well, if they're going to do it, then how about reversing the prices! :D

10 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

That's a new low, if true, I've not seen a supermarket petrol station rip the piss, it's usually the BP's, etc on a main road that does it. 

That's when you know they're profiteering, but nothing gets done. 

DON'T GO TO LIZZY BRICE

Got to say I was surprised tbh. Shell and Jet (bar Costco) in the weirdest of places tend to be the cheapest. Nothing caught my eye today, and I was Falkirk-Kippen-Dollar-Kennoway-Glenrothes-Lochgelly-Kelty. Tbf there ain't many petrol stations in Fife, haha.

Greedy Jambo

If you're on a main road and you know you're going to get traffic, you can charge what you want, if you're in the middle of knowhere, you're maybe needing more customers, so you lower your price to get them. 

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, ArcticJambo said:

Got to say I was surprised tbh. Shell and Jet (bar Costco) in the weirdest of places tend to be the cheapest. Nothing caught my eye today, and I was Falkirk-Kippen-Dollar-Kennoway-Glenrothes-Lochgelly-Kelty. Tbf there ain't many petrol stations in Fife, haha.

Your carbon footprint must be horrendous. Add in the seal clubbing, and wee Greta T wll be itching to kick your @**^ in.

Greedy Jambo
9 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Well, if they're going to do it, then how about reversing the prices! :D

You'll have to explain that one to me. 

45 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Yup.  Businesses charge what they can get away with.

I suppose it’s a bit like ‘Claim for everything and write off as much as you can’

2 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Your carbon footprint must be horrendous. Add in the seal clubbing, and wee Greta T wll be itching to kick your @**^ in.

:lol: Should have seen the day before! Thankfully, I passed it onto another mug.  She's a bit scary looking these days, even with my club I think I'd be toast!

4 minutes ago, Greedy Jambo said:

You'll have to explain that one to me. 

We get 148.9 and the highlanders and west coasters get the high 150s we seem to get mugged off with in Edinburgh. :thumbsup:

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Greedy Jambo said:

Talking Heads. 

I was thinking more theiving c**ts but yes you're bang on 👍 

will-i-am-a-jambo
On 16/09/2023 at 09:32, Nucky Thompson said:

I won't be eating at McDonalds much anymore.

Granted, I don't go very often and I've not been in ages, but I was shocked when I saw that they had put up a standard meal to £6.59.

Greedy twats

I've never understood the clamour for McDonalds food, it's over-priced shite and you have to wait ages to get anything. Cheap fast food my ass. They even had the cheek to charge 10p for a paper bag, plastic l can understand but paper?!?!

will-i-am-a-jambo
On 23/09/2023 at 12:51, joondalupjambo said:

Fraud.png

And yet the right wing media will convince the gullible otherwise. Best not tell the Daily Mail they might internally combust!

I also think Tesco etc are effectively all ran as Franchises so purchasing Fuel for your ForeCourt is done on an individual basis where you buy it from the Tesco companies stock rather than direct from supplier. This might impact the price you charge based on when you bought it.

il Duce McTarkin
10 hours ago, FWJ said:

Yup.  Businesses charge what they can get away with.

I suppose it’s a bit like ‘Claim for everything and write off as much as you can’

I suppose profiteering by large multinationals at a time of financial strife for the average Joe and an the average Joe legaly reducing their tax burden are morally the same thing.

29 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I also think Tesco etc are effectively all ran as Franchises so purchasing Fuel for your ForeCourt is done on an individual basis where you buy it from the Tesco companies stock rather than direct from supplier. This might impact the price you charge based on when you bought it.

I think people blindly fill up at supermarkets just assuming they will be the cheapest. Great advertising has convinced us and lead to the demise of many non supermarket petrol stations.  Tesco are one of the worst though and are never the cheapest. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I think people blindly fill up at supermarkets just assuming they will be the cheapest. Great advertising has convinced us and lead to the demise of many non supermarket petrol stations.  Tesco are one of the worst though and are never the cheapest. 

Shop in Bathgate and work in Livingston.

Tesco are generally the cheapest, BP & Shell are always dearer than the supermarkets (Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury & Morrisons)

2 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

I suppose profiteering by large multinationals at a time of financial strife for the average Joe and an the average Joe legaly reducing their tax burden are morally the same thing.

Everyone’s out for the most they can get.

Ain’t capitalism wonderful?

(Although better than the alternative, it seems)

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Everyone’s out for the most they can get.

Ain’t capitalism wonderful?

(Although better than the alternative, it seems)

Let's be honest you wouldn't want to live in a country under a Communist rule. Look at recent examples of that 

12 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

And yet the right wing media will convince the gullible otherwise. Best not tell the Daily Mail they might internally combust!

Sadly is the middle man that gets shafted. The wealthy can implement ways to avoid their tax. 150k Scots don't even bother to work and are propped up by the highly taxed PAYE workers. 

11 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Let's be honest you wouldn't want to live in a country under a Communist rule. Look at recent examples of that 

Danny Stendel's DDR is fondly remembered. Sure, they had the Stasi and wall, we had inner-city riots, the British Army shooting its own citizens, mass strikes and industiral unrest - a working class was turned into an underclass.

https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/homesick-for-a-dictatorship-majority-of-eastern-germans-feel-life-better-under-communism-a-634122.html

7 minutes ago, Gundermann said:

Danny Stendel's DDR is fondly remembered. Sure, they had the Stasi and wall, we had inner-city riots, the British Army shooting its own citizens, mass strikes and industiral unrest - a working class was turned into an underclass.

https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/homesick-for-a-dictatorship-majority-of-eastern-germans-feel-life-better-under-communism-a-634122.html

Interesting read thanks for sharing. I guess I always relate communism to the darker examples like the Soviet Union. Perhaps we in the west  have been raised to believe communism is bad.

8 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Interesting read thanks for sharing. I guess I always relate communism to the darker examples like the Soviet Union. Perhaps we in the west  have been raised to believe communism is bad.

👍

Different perspectives. Others in the Soviet Bloc obvs glad to be rid. East Germany not so much.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, TallPaul said:

Communism isn't very fondly remembered in Poland though.

But the former DDR didn't become an independent country, it had the sharp contrast of the prosperous west and struggled to deal with suddenly catching up to a mature capitalist democracy. The state used to provide and many were poor, now the state doesn't provide and many are poor. (NB a pretty uneducated take, born of no more than chats with a couple of Germans)

The good old DDR.

Makes you wonder why they built the wall.  Maybe it really was an “Anti-fascist Protection Rampart”.

Don’t know why dozens of people were shot trying to leave East Berlin though.

Lone Striker
20 hours ago, Greedy Jambo said:

If you're on a main road and you know you're going to get traffic, you can charge what you want, if you're in the middle of knowhere, you're maybe needing more customers, so you lower your price to get them. 

Sounds plausible.  On the flip side, the petrol stations on the A68  from the bypass down to the Borders almost seem to be operating like a cartel - all have roughly the same price, apart from the ones in Lauder & Earlston with a Co-op food store where diesel was a  whopping 12p cheaper (as at the end of Sept).   Good on them, I say.

Wasn't there a time when Supermarkets started selling cheaper petrol  when the rumour was that their petrol was "watered down"  in some way ?