Inflation

jamb0_1874

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Disagree. House prices need to come down in the UK by at least 25%.

I doubt a bit of house price pain will deter the BOE. As has been said a few times, the way to curb inflation is to have interest rates above the rate of inflation.

That would cause defaults to go through the roof so what you get is light touch fudge.

House round the corner from us, asking price £315k. Sold for £265K. My locality is a pretty decent postcode and we are swamped with new builds. Mortgage apps have collapsed in last few weeks

My missus works for a mortgage broker.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

5 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

House round the corner from us, asking price £315k. Sold for £265K. My locality is a pretty decent postcode and we are swamped with new builds. Mortgage apps have collapsed in last few weeks

Where's that if you don't mind me asking?

joondalupjambo
14 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Two bed cottage in immaculate condition a few streets from us.  Overs over £250k.  Two weeks ago went for £310k.  Another stone semi overs over £160k in need of upgrade went for £195k.  Madness.

It will depend on the location and there will be bubbles, always has been and pretty sure that will continue.

On 29/08/2023 at 12:59, Jambof3tornado said:

Yup

On another note asda dundee 144.9p unleaded.

Asda Grangemouth........149.9????

How the fekk???

Tesco Musselburgh 20 mins ago 154.9

So much for it coming down 

On 29/08/2023 at 12:59, Jambof3tornado said:

Yup

On another note asda dundee 144.9p unleaded.

Asda Grangemouth........149.9????

How the fekk???

Next to the refinery too

On 29/08/2023 at 13:02, il Duce McTarkin said:

Meh.

I'd take high inflation and interest rates over all those Catholics any day of the week.

IMG_5094.jpeg

On 07/09/2023 at 13:11, That thing you do said:

Disagree. House prices need to come down in the UK by at least 25%.

I doubt a bit of house price pain will deter the BOE. As has been said a few times, the way to curb inflation is to have interest rates above the rate of inflation.

That would cause defaults to go through the roof so what you get is light touch fudge.

Not really , frozen house prices and rising wages will soon do the job, but that would mean the govt paying people properly, so it won’t happen 

I think the worst has yet to come, a bit of a delay in what has happened previously. 

I personally know 2 local business owners who have just gone tits up. 

On 08/09/2023 at 21:48, Greedy Jambo said:

I think the worst has yet to come, a bit of a delay in what has happened previously. 

I personally know 2 local business owners who have just gone tits up. 

Damn straight the worst is to come, we're in a slide that needs slowed, steadied, then reversed, and the Tories are happy to let the next guys deal with that shit.

Diadora Van Basten
2 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Triple lock possibly getting fiddled with once again!!

I would imagine that would be the final nail in the coffin for the Tories.

They know that racist English OAPs in the South of England are their main supporters.

The Mighty Thor
20 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

This isnt good

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/sep/12/uk-mortgage-meltdown-looms-amid-terrifying-growth-in-arrears

Massive growth in Mortgage Arrears. Im not surprised as most people have eyes bigger than their rainy day funds but this still very depressing to see

The roller coaster has just crested the summit on this one. 

Once it goes, and it is going to go with current monetary policy, its going to go like feck. 

1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

This isnt good

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/sep/12/uk-mortgage-meltdown-looms-amid-terrifying-growth-in-arrears

Massive growth in Mortgage Arrears. Im not surprised as most people have eyes bigger than their rainy day funds but this still very depressing to see

My brother in law just bought his first house.

His fiancées parents told them to "buy something that is the most you can afford".

Personally I thought it was shite advice and said that to him. They didn't listen, and did it anyway.

They are planning to start a family in a year or two and are basically banking on them both working full time after having a kid and haven't factored in the costs of having a child and potential extra costs such as a second car, childcare etc etc.

What's to say his fiancée can't continue to work after having a kid or can't go back full time?

Anyway you live in learn...

That thing you do
1 minute ago, heartsfc_fan said:

His fiancées parents told them to "buy something that is the most you can afford".

Personally I thought it was shite advice and said that to him. They didn't listen, and did it anyway.

They are planning to start a family in a year or two and are basically banking on them both working full time after having a kid and haven't factored in the costs of having a child and potential extra costs such as a second car, childcare etc etc.

What's to say his fiancée can't continue to work after having a kid or can't go back full time?

Yep its uber shite advice, my pal is exactly the same. Bought a house at the very top of his budget because of the location (near a loch), had 5 banks reject him before one gave him a go.

Wouldnt listen to my advice which is the same as yours. Give yourself room in case shit happens.

Hes had the house 2 months and is part time lecturing at a University at night to pay it (on top of a full time IT Consultancy job) has no room factored in for children he wants, recently bought an Audi (gives him status he said) and thats conked out and needs a gearbox which he had to wait 3 weeks to be able to afford to pay. Disaster waiting to happen.

I blame the education system though. It brings people up to serve the rich 9-5 and doesnt teach them money or wealth management.

11 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Yep its uber shite advice, my pal is exactly the same. Bought a house at the very top of his budget because of the location (near a loch), had 5 banks reject him before one gave him a go.

Wouldnt listen to my advice which is the same as yours. Give yourself room in case shit happens.

Hes had the house 2 months and is part time lecturing at a University at night to pay it (on top of a full time IT Consultancy job) has no room factored in for children he wants, recently bought an Audi (gives him status he said) and thats conked out and needs a gearbox which he had to wait 3 weeks to be able to afford to pay. Disaster waiting to happen.

I blame the education system though. It brings people up to serve the rich 9-5 and doesnt teach them money or wealth management.

And “ keeping up with the Jones’s “ mentality too . Seen it loads , basically a mortgage is a credit agreement like a card . It’s a gamble but afford what you can hopefully repay Back and not to try and impress others with your “big hoose “ see it all the time on face book 

50 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Agree rank rotten advice. Buy something that covers what you need but still leaves room to do what you want and enjoy life. No point working hard just to keep the bank happy.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Old guy once said to me if you dont struggle for the 1st few years after buying a house you've "bought too cheap ".

Banks will simply solve the issue by 40 year mortgages becoming the norm!!! More interest for them,all sorted!!

joondalupjambo

The number of times I have heard folk say they have no debt. Then you ask if they have a mortgage and they say aye.  Mental.

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

The number of times I have heard folk say they have no debt. Then you ask if they have a mortgage and they say aye.  Mental.

It's an answer Delboy would give.:10900:

2 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Everyone will be at it not just Virgin.

I started a thread a while back for youfibre,

Defo moving to them at contract end in November.

Nucky Thompson

I won't be eating at McDonalds much anymore.

Granted, I don't go very often and I've not been in ages, but I was shocked when I saw that they had put up a standard meal to £6.59.

Greedy twats

5 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Everyone will be at it not just Virgin.

Yes. They are all at it. Where the feck is the regulators for all those price hikes in almost everything ?

4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes. They are all at it. Where the feck is the regulators for all those price hikes in almost everything ?

We can't demand all demand cost of living wage rises and expect it not to push prices up further.

2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

We can't demand all demand cost of living wage rises and expect it not to push prices up further.

The prices are rising significantly quicker compared to our wages. It isn't our demands that are causing the rise... it's profiteering plain and simple.

17 minutes ago, kila said:

The prices are rising significantly quicker compared to our wages. It isn't our demands that are causing the rise... it's profiteering plain and simple.

I am not saying that, but our wage rises push prices up further, also.

18 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

I am not saying that, but our wage rises push prices up further, also.

Without these wage rises then  people wouldn’t be able to afford even the basics . 
But then even with the wage rises people still can’t afford the basics. 

In our supposed developed society. People going without food and heating is a disgrace. 

Nucky Thompson
29 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

People going without food and heating is a disgrace. 

I know people on benefits who don't even go without their dope or bevvy 

14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I know people on benefits who don't even go without their dope or bevvy 

I know people on benefits who work full time

On 17/09/2023 at 17:06, The Mighty Thor said:

Some folks feel the need to punch down the way though. 

It's the tory way. Blame the ones with nothing while letting the tax dodging millionaires have free reign. 

il Duce McTarkin

Any reglar Joe that doesn't avoid as much tax as is legally possible is a simpleton that deserves to be skint.

On 23/09/2023 at 12:57, il Duce McTarkin said:

Any reglar Joe that doesn't avoid as much tax as is legally possible is a simpleton that deserves to be skint.

A bit harsh.  Us regular Joes have very  limited legal methods to reduce our tax bill  by a wee bit.  The ones in that graph on the right hand column are unlikely to be regular Joes - most likely big companies and very wealthy folk who employ savvy tax accountants to  unearth  loopholes and offshore investment hideaways.

I had a craving for hotdogs, I nipped to tesco, got the rolls, the dugs, onions, mustard....

I was then confronted by a small bottle of Ketchup at nearly 4 quid, oh hell no. 

Thanks for ruining my hotdogs, Tesco. 

Diadora Van Basten

I think that inflation might not be a bad thing just now if they had not raised interest rates.

The gap between the haves and the have nots has got too large and if the have nots are earning more in their pay while the haves see their spending power reduced it seems fair.

Raising interest rates punishes the have nots and rewards the haves.

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think that inflation might not be a bad thing just now if they had not raised interest rates.

The gap between the haves and the have nots has got too large and if the have nots are earning more in their pay while the haves see their spending power reduced it seems fair.

Raising interest rates punishes the have nots and rewards the haves.

You lost me at the haves and have nots, not gonna lie. 

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, Lone Striker said:

A bit harsh.  Us regular Joes have very  limited legal methods to reduce our tax bill  by a wee bit.  The ones in that graph on the right hand column are unlikely to be regular Joes - most likely big companies and very wealthy folk who employ savvy tax accountants to  unearth  loopholes and offshore investment hideaways.

It's got **** all to do with means at disposal and everything to do with giving it a go. 

Claim for everything and write off as much as you can.

:) 👍

Edited by il Duce McTarkin

5 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

It's got **** all to do with means at disposal and everything to do with giving it a go. 

Claim for everything and write off as much as you can.

WHen its legal and truthful, declaration,  fair enough.     But  the sum total of all the average Joes' tax avoidance  (mitigation is a less alarming term)  in a year won't come to anything like the billions described in the right hand column. 

On 23/09/2023 at 11:35, XB52 said:

It's the tory way. Blame the ones with nothing while letting the tax dodging millionaires have free reign. 

On 23/09/2023 at 12:51, joondalupjambo said:

Fraud.png

Summed up pretty well 👍