Barrie Mckay

Selkirkhmfc1874

kingantti1874

Has as much ability as any player I’ve seen in the last 30 years.. 

im actually struggling the remember a more talented player.

give him souttars wage tomorrow 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Unknown user

• niblick1874

• Canscot

3 hours ago, Gorgieshed said:

I'd say McKay ie our best outfield player.

On his day absolutely....a joy to watch and something we ain't used to over a number of years! Let's enjoy him as it's far from certain how long we will have him 😖

8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Just text a far away Jambo pal exactly that...natural ability to caress the ball, use 2 feet, find a pass, as good as I have seen in 35 years watching the Hearts...all the while making it look like he ain't outta 2nd gear....

bringonthesevco

We should let him take our next penalty - a goal will see his confidence soar even higher ….

if he misses it just let him keep taking them until he scores one !!

He was outstanding last night, and with the level of ability he has we should be looking for that more often.  Too many games where he is lovely to watch but doesn't affect the game enough so far for my liking but his recent form is great

Edited by Diego10

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

So what if we offer him a new contract next week and he says no?

Then we get to boo him for 18 months 

Win-win. 

😎

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, GavK1012 said:

On his day absolutely....a joy to watch and something we ain't used to over a number of years! Let's enjoy him as it's far from certain how long we will have him 😖

He's 27 and already earned a decent wedge from down south, maybe not the same situation as a Souttar or a Hickey and therefor mindset 

If he's enjoying his football, Get him on a 2/3 year  extension. 

20 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

He was outstanding last night, and with the level of ability he has we should be looking for that more often.  Too many games where he is lovely to watch but doesn't affect the game enough so far for my liking but his recent form is great

I think the only reason he has not been as effective is the forwards he has been trying to serve. I have lost count of the number of times he has sent wee flicks and subtle passes into space expecting the forwards to be reading it coming only for them to be caught standing still then the wee man looks like he just gave the ball away. Yesterday Ginnelly was on the same wavelength as Barrie and we saw what can happen. We need better forwards who can run in behind at pace to take advantage of Barries ability to thread a sublime pass through. Get it done Joe!

Bazzas right boot
40 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

He does affect most games. 

julienbrellier

Our best player at the moment, so so positive in his play and an assist machine. It’s got to be him and Gino either side of Boyce when they are all fit

29 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

He's 27 and already earned a decent wedge from down south, maybe not the same situation as a Souttar or a Hickey and therefor mindset 

If he's enjoying his football, Get him on a 2/3 year  extension. 

I do hope you are right! 

4 minutes ago, julienbrellier said:

Our best player at the moment, so so positive in his play and an assist machine. It’s got to be him and Gino either side of Boyce when they are all fit

Not sure Boyce is a player that will feed off Barrie’s passes. To slow and ponderous for me. He has his attributes but speed and working channels are not two of them. Would love to be proven wrong though😜

13 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Someone posted a sky stat summary of McKay he was one of the most effective forward players in the league and the most effective at Hearts.

If you have eyes you will also se that without the need for any confirmation tbh.

Correct , that is what I was basing it on , as its been posted, stats can be misleading

23 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Here’s todays Barrie Mckay observation.

Barrie Mckay wearing Salt Bae’s glasses, looks like Salt Bae.

BC7B1D4F-04FD-4E0A-9675-FA60BB11A449.jpeg

34F77E68-D4E3-4926-9FFB-52B91EA4294B.jpeg

54165A46-F20E-45A8-B672-4C843DA4A196.jpeg

hahahaha brilliant - hope he ignores instructions going forward and runs at defences and continues to play FORWARD passes....possession is great but its when you first gain possession that you are at your most dangerous - Attack when defences arent "set". !!! (you reading Robbie ?)

On 19/01/2022 at 12:59, Vlad Magic said:

I made this exact point a month or 2 back. Specifically about the tap tap sideways and backwards passes around the back allowing defences time to reorganise.

It was infuriating to watch and completely counter productive.

Its refreshing to see a change in the attitude of the players with regard to quick direct attacking moves.

There was very little of the slow ponderous play sideways at the back stuff last night.

I hope this continues as we look very dangerous when playing at pace and being direct. 

Sounds daft (and Im NOT stalking haha) but did you ever post on Evening News/Scotsman a few years back ? (its just that your moniker rings a bell....maybe Im just getting old)

14 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Settle down dear.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, busbyfth said:

hahahaha brilliant - hope he ignores instructions going forward and runs at defences and continues to play FORWARD passes....possession is great but its when you first gain possession that you are at your most dangerous - Attack when defences arent "set". !!! (you reading Robbie ?)

:berra:

14 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

And a five year contract. 

17 minutes ago, busbyfth said:

I don’t think I’ve seen him do anything but try and get the ball forward, either by running with it or passing.

29 minutes ago, busbyfth said:

:what:

1 hour ago, busbyfth said:

:notsure:

1 hour ago, busbyfth said:

Sounds daft (and Im NOT stalking haha) but did you ever post on Evening News/Scotsman a few years back ? (its just that your moniker rings a bell....maybe Im just getting old)

I did. I also remember you posting kind sir👍👍

avhudtheteeshirt

I said on the match thread at half time, we needed to play through midfield quicker not stop the ball.

Within 17 seconds we did just that, and no defence can stop a quick ball to feet of a fast attacker without fouling!

Mackay's ball was superb and Ginnely's run was breath taking as was the finish!!! 

15 minutes ago, avhudtheteeshirt said:

I said on the match thread at half time, we needed to play through midfield quicker not stop the ball.

Within 17 seconds we did just that, and no defence can stop a quick ball to feet of a fast attacker without fouling!

Mackay's ball was superb and Ginnely's run was breath taking as was the finish!!! 

Yep. Ginnelly going a wee bit wider helped as well. McKay tried to play through balls to Gino a few times in first half but Gino found a bit more space second half.

Takeshi kovac
17 hours ago, Canscot said:

I think the only reason he has not been as effective is the forwards he has been trying to serve. I have lost count of the number of times he has sent wee flicks and subtle passes into space expecting the forwards to be reading it coming only for them to be caught standing still then the wee man looks like he just gave the ball away. Yesterday Ginnelly was on the same wavelength as Barrie and we saw what can happen. We need better forwards who can run in behind at pace to take advantage of Barries ability to thread a sublime pass through. Get it done Joe!

Agree with all of this, we will get the best out of McKay when we have a top striker he can combine with.

He combined brilliantly with Boyce for the goal against Livi but too many times he sends a pass that a team mate just hasn’t read. Love the way he accelerates through the gears as well, that second goal where he pulls away from the St Johnstone player and plays a pass at speed was a joy to watch

1 minute ago, Muppetboy said:

Imagine having a pacy striker running behind and onto his through ️! Haven’t had guile like his in a long long time

Given a bit of time to gel I believe Ginnelly will be the man to fit the pace.  Not Boyce, who is showing himself to be too slow of foot.  Apacey Japanese forward might fit the description.

I have watched both goals more than usual after a game. The first is close to a work of art. There were three times a Hearts player touched the ball, the first in our own half and after two more it ends up in the back of the net, all along the ground. The second is so much fun. I should add that all of that is down to two Hearts players☺️

Edited by niblick1874

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

Given a bit of time to gel I believe Ginnelly will be the man to fit the pace.  Not Boyce, who is showing himself to be too slow of foot.  Apacey Japanese forward might fit the description.

We want Boyce's touch, technique, speed of thought and awareness mixed with Ginos' desire to run in behind, speed and mobility.

Problem is everyone wants that type of striker!

Boyce isn't slow, it's just that his instinct is to come short rather than run the channels, we are getting to the point were the team needs a striker that does this.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Takeshi kovac said:

Agree with all of this, we will get the best out of McKay when we have a top striker he can combine with.

He combined brilliantly with Boyce for the goal against Livi but too many times he sends a pass that a team mate just hasn’t read. Love the way he accelerates through the gears as well, that second goal where he pulls away from the St Johnstone player and plays a pass at speed was a joy to watch

For me we have a few players with  technique, awareness and speed of thought now and they stand out.

Mckay is the best in this area, but Boyce, Kingsley, Smith, Souttar and Beni were/ are  all showing a speed of though and awareness that is a level above some of the other guys. TBH Walker and GMS can show it too.

They are footballers with footballers brains.

You do need other qualities as a team ( Pace, height, grit, determination, fitness etc) but when attacking the speed of thought, technique , movement ( on and off the ball) and awareness of these guys I mentioned above is level above the others. 

It is great to watch.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

A_A wehatethehibs

Folk saying “he needs a goal”, I don’t think he does. He’ll bag a few at some point when the ball falls to him. But he doesn’t “need” one he is full of confidence and totally focused on his game, 1 game at a time he’s getting better and better 

We need to throw the absolute kitchen sink at extending his contract now imo while he is still under the radar.

Did I mention the ability to see the pass coming and intercept it to start what lead to the second goal. We may well have something here.🙂

Edited by niblick1874

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Couple of questions

- is he actually a Hun or did he just play for them?

- how many years of his career will he have coined cash in so far? - like might he be well enough off to extend even just a year if he got a shot at Europe and the chance to showcase himself at higher levels?

Cheers

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

I hope you are right about getting him on another year. My reservation is at 27 he is in his prime earning years and will likely look to cash in. But hope not. 

Just now, Canscot said:

I hope you are right about getting him on another year. My reservation is at 27 he is in his prime earning years and will likely look to cash in. But hope not. 

Don't be scared.

Bazzas right boot

Who was the poster that said he'd be a great signing for us  and he was a really good player that would push for the Scotland squad  way back when we signed him?

Loads of posters ripped him to bits as well.

That guy clearly  kens his onions.

Glamorgan Jambo

McKay is sort of in the same boat as Kingsley. Done really well with us after difficult spells down south. For that reason his list of suitors from the Championship will be limited. As opposed to Souttar who would have had a much longer list given his unknown upside in the English leagues (shame he ignored this).

I don't imagine we'll be talking much to him until the window's shut, we get a striker or two, and we get Pete squared away with an extension. Hopefully by the end of February he'll be inked.

41 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We want Boyce's touch, technique, speed of thought and awareness mixed with Ginos' desire to run in behind, speed and mobility.

Problem is everyone wants that type of striker!

Boyce isn't slow, it's just that his instinct is to come short rather than run the channels, we are getting to the point were the team needs a striker that does this.

We obviously need two more forwards, or one fancy one plus Henderson, but I'm starting to think playing a little unbalanced with McKay on the wing, Boyce at the 10, and Gino at the 9 isn't such a bad look.

1 minute ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

McKay is sort of in the same boat as Kingsley. Done really well with us after difficult spells down south. For that reason his list of suitors from the Championship will be limited. As opposed to Souttar who would have had a much longer list given his unknown upside in the English leagues (shame he ignored this).

Not asking you specifically, however, can anyone remind me of his situation when he came to us. Could it be that all he needed was a run of games in a good place? It might be a case of right player right football club. Was he ever this good? 

Glamorgan Jambo

4 seasons down south between Forest, Swansea and Fleetwood. Don’t think there was an army of clubs looking to sign him when he was freed in the summer. No idea how he performed (had about 100 games in total). 

The only thing I can guess at is that Neilson had tried to sign him before possibly more than once (could have been at MK and/or Dundee Utd).

6 minutes ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

4 seasons down south between Forest, Swansea and Fleetwood. Don’t think there was an army of clubs looking to sign him when he was freed in the summer. No idea how he performed (had about 100 games in total). 

The only thing I can guess at is that Neilson had tried to sign him before possibly more than once (could have been at MK and/or Dundee Utd).

Thanks for that. I remember reading that Neilson had liked the look of him for a while. 

Don't know what others think. I feel Henderson could be a great striker with mckay in the same team. He's just as fast and knows how to find the net. Maybe I'm over (or more likely under) thinking this, but I feel Henderson fits the description of the type of striker that would really prosper with mckay.

Byyy The Light

If his stock isn’t high down south and/or he’s no appetite to head back down there then we’re in good shape. His only other option would be a Rangers return and that ship has probably sailed.

Get him on a Kingsley deal.

6 hours ago, niblick1874 said:

Not asking you specifically, however, can anyone remind me of his situation when he came to us. Could it be that all he needed was a run of games in a good place? It might be a case of right player right football club. Was he ever this good? 

I have a hun mate who told me when we signed him not to expect any defensive workrate, tracking back, tackling or anything like that, said he would drift in and out of games, basically decribed him as another GMS. After watching him play for us on telly a couple of times my mate said he barely recognises him as the same player.

It really does seem like McKay is taking his career more seriously since joining Hearts

10 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Who was the poster that said he'd be a great signing for us  and he was a really good player that would push for the Scotland squad  way back when we signed him?

Loads of posters ripped him to bits as well.

That guy clearly  kens his onions.

Aye, I mind him, he wanted Hibs to win the cup anaw. :whistling: 

::troll::

13 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Couple of questions

- is he actually a Hun or did he just play for them?

- how many years of his career will he have coined cash in so far? - like might he be well enough off to extend even just a year if he got a shot at Europe and the chance to showcase himself at higher levels?

Cheers

Think he done alright for himself before coming here. He will also be one of our highest earners and seems to be enjoying his football here. 

Think he is a Rangers fan through and through though. 

Tynecastle Valhalla
On 19/01/2022 at 22:18, kingantti1874 said:

he is fantastic and I am

a huge fan; but players such as pinilla, jankauskis, fyssas, aguair and probably more spring to mind ahead of him 

he’s a Scottish lad which is great and seems to be enjoying himself which is what’s its about

long may that continue eh 

21 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

I did. I also remember you posting kind sir👍👍

hahaha Im only half daft then - if memory serves we had pretty similar views back in the day - cheers

21 hours ago, boag1874 said:

:notsure:

Yep - being serious as I reckon we have loads of weapons just waiting to be allowed to be more direct. When we break directly at pace we could cause any team problems and that would be ideal for playing the ugly sisters as they are vulnerable to quick attacks.