Barrie Mckay

Selkirkhmfc1874

9 hours ago, Tazio said:

Unless you compare their stats in terms of goals and assists. Not say Barrie isn’t great but GMS on paper has been more effective. 

If you look at the proper nerd stats like chances created and expected assists then it's clear that McKay is far and away our most creative player and one of the top 3/4 creative players in the league overall. That tallies with what people are seeing on the pitch.

GMS has the same number of assists as McKay but I can think of loads of instances where latter has created very good chances which weren't converted and very few such instances for the former. GMS's tally also includes a penalty win v Aberdeen and a 5 yard square pass to Boyce away at St Mirren, whereas McKay's are all incisive passes or crosses.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Unknown user

• niblick1874

• Canscot

3 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

To be fair, in a few years time it'll be 20 years since the likes of Bednar and Janny were running right in 2005. So it is indeed decades 😊

No one likes a pedant but a decade is 10 years and so far it's been 16 ;)

Just watched the highlights back after seeing the second half last night and they might as well be titled "the Barrie McKay show" - involved in absolutely everything.

Fozzyonthefence
23 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

If you look at the proper nerd stats like chances created and expected assists then it's clear that McKay is far and away our most creative player and one of the top 3/4 creative players in the league overall. That tallies with what people are seeing on the pitch.

GMS has the same number of assists as McKay but I can think of loads of instances where latter has created very good chances which weren't converted and very few such instances for the former. GMS's tally also includes a penalty win v Aberdeen and a 5 yard square pass to Boyce away at St Mirren, whereas McKay's are all incisive passes or crosses.

McKay is always looking to be involved whether he is playing well or not.  GMS just seems to go awol for long spells.  As you said, McKay creates a lot of chances that are not converted (I think another 3 last night on top of the actual 2 goal assists).

He was outstanding. One of the best performances I think I’ve seen from a Hearts player, certainly in the Budge era, He was involved in everything and never stopped running. 

Contract extension pls. 

42 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Would still be 3 decades surely. 2000s, 2010s and 2020s. We are now in to the third decade since Romanov.

Someome born in 1988 would now be into their 5th decade of life even though only 34.

Edited by i8hibsh

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Would still be 3 decades surely. 2000s, 2010s and 2020s. We are now in to the third decade since Romanov.

Someome born in 1988 would now be into their 5th decade of life even though only 34.

Someone born in 1988 is far more likely to be 33 ....

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Someone born in 1988 is far more likely to be 33 ....

In this scenario they were born on the 5th of January.

:gok:

53 minutes ago, King prawn said:

A decade and a half then 😁

Mackay has a footballing brain...intelligent player. Please note Robbie that we scored the goals while opposing defences were out of position - we broke at pace. normally when we dispossess opposing teams we move forward while grinding passes sideways and backwards - But many goals are scored by hitting teams while defenders are pulled out of their safety zones. RN take note. (Good result !!!)

1 hour ago, briever said:

Apart from his sublime skills and vision the thing that impresses me the most about him is his attitude.  He gets kicked - he gets up - he gets bottles and coins thrown at him he shrugs it off.  

He's a brilliant professional and is easily our best signing of the last few years, we need to be talking to him now about extending the 2yr deal he signed in Sept.

This all day long. Great signing and would be a real coup to keep him beyond the 2 years.

27 minutes ago, OTT said:

He was outstanding. One of the best performances I think I’ve seen from a Hearts player, certainly in the Budge era, He was involved in everything and never stopped running. 

Contract extension pls. 

Absolutely.  A class act.  I find a comparison with GMS on here quite baffling.  Despite "stats" for most games GMS seems a lost laddie, wandering about not really sure of his role and far too lightweight, being far too easily knocked off the ball and soft in the tackle.

12 minutes ago, busbyfth said:

Mackay has a footballing brain...intelligent player. Please note Robbie that we scored the goals while opposing defences were out of position - we broke at pace. normally when we dispossess opposing teams we move forward while grinding passes sideways and backwards - But many goals are scored by hitting teams while defenders are pulled out of their safety zones. RN take note. (Good result !!!)

Top post.

27 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Nope, they're in their 4th decade.

They've lived in 5 numerical decades but that's different.

Romanov was still the owner 10 years ago so this is still the first decade since Romanov.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Nope, they're in their 4th decade.

They've lived in 5 numerical decades but that's different.

Romanov was still the owner 10 years ago so this is still the first decade since Romanov.

They have experienced life in 5 decades.

2 hours ago, King prawn said:

Decades? The current lot are no where near Skacel, Bednar, Jankauskas and Miko nevermind further back. Years maybe..

That was more than 15 years ago mate :lol: 

1 hour ago, busbyfth said:

I made this exact point a month or 2 back. Specifically about the tap tap sideways and backwards passes around the back allowing defences time to reorganise.

It was infuriating to watch and completely counter productive.

Its refreshing to see a change in the attitude of the players with regard to quick direct attacking moves.

There was very little of the slow ponderous play sideways at the back stuff last night.

I hope this continues as we look very dangerous when playing at pace and being direct. 

6 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

I don't mind whether he scores lots of goals or not. He's a game-changer, absolute class. Meanwhile our friends in EH7 imagine that we are watching hoofball.

I don't mind either. He's had some very decent shots at goal—I think it's a matter of just being weirdly unlucky. The goals will come, and in the meantime, he's still giving a lot to the side.

14 hours ago, Tazio said:

Unless you compare their stats in terms of goals and assists. Not say Barrie isn’t great but GMS on paper has been more effective. 

For me GMS does well creating things out of decent build-up and is key in converting possession into opportunities. McKay can turn nothing into something at the blink of an eye.

GMS gets too much stick on here but I do think McKay has a creative quality that's unique in the side and which really isn't comparable to the yeoman's work that GMS does.

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

Here’s todays Barrie Mckay observation.

Barrie Mckay wearing Salt Bae’s glasses, looks like Salt Bae.

BC7B1D4F-04FD-4E0A-9675-FA60BB11A449.jpeg

34F77E68-D4E3-4926-9FFB-52B91EA4294B.jpeg

54165A46-F20E-45A8-B672-4C843DA4A196.jpeg

:lol:

2 hours ago, Armageddon said:

This is so good i had to use it.

Have a great day

7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Such a good player.. long contract and scotland call up will follow

Barrie was one of the top players in the English Championship, this is the real deal coup of the century.

I would tag £5M on him, he is going to thrive over the coming year.

19 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Contract extension please

.....and lets not wait until it's too bloody late.

Start now and offer him a 1 or 2 year extension to his current 18 months.

Leave it until summer and we are back in the same position we are now with Souttar.

maroonlegions

Get him on a longer contract please. Just do it Hearts. 

Was outstanding yesterday. Has the attributes and ability of class, plus has a football brain and reads the game well.  

31 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Get him on a longer contract please. Just do it Hearts. 

Was outstanding yesterday. Has the attributes and ability of class, plus has a football brain and reads the game well.  

For me Barrie has played the same way from the off, the difference is he has an end product to aim for. Worked last night.

6 minutes ago, part_time_jambo said:

Did the first fallguy trip over a worm? He doesn't seem to connect with anything.

Fell over the electric blanket cable 😴 

maroonlegions
3 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Fell over the electric blanket cable 😴 

Nope...  This was on the 1 Million pound pitch at Tynie not Fester Road..

FTH.

1 hour ago, part_time_jambo said:

Did the first fallguy trip over a worm? He doesn't seem to connect with anything.

It looks like fall guy number 1 clipped fall guy number 2

8 hours ago, Armageddon said:

'Salt Barrie'

Right. Let's not have another John Souttar situation and wait until September/October time before asking Barrie McKay if he would like to sign another contract at Hearts. Get a two or three year extension on the table before the end of THIS season and get the deal done. 

It is obvious to anyone with eyes that this guy is not only good enough for Hearts, but good enough to be a standout player for Hearts. Come on Joe, you know it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

Right. Let's not have another John Souttar situation and wait until September/October time before asking Barrie McKay if he would like to sign another contract at Hearts. Get a two or three year extension on the table before the end of THIS season and get the deal done. 

It is obvious to anyone with eyes that this guy is not only good enough for Hearts, but good enough to be a standout player for Hearts. Come on Joe, you know it makes sense.

So what if we offer him a new contract next week and he says no?

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Well if he says no he says no. Then you negotiate. I think the point is, the closer you allow him to get to the end of his contract, the higher the chances are that he will say no. 

Just now, No Idle Talk said:

Well if he says no he says no. Then you negotiate. I think the point is, the closer you allow him to get to the end of his contract, the higher the chances are that he will say no. 

Not necessarily. His form might dip next season. This isn’t an exact science imo. 

Jambo_jim2001
5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Hope not..we have to be and I hope will be THE team in scotland that great players will be wanting to sign for.i honestly feel after 50 years following hearts this IS our time..HHGH