Barrie Mckay

Selkirkhmfc1874

pettigrewsstylist

Great performance tonight and mr reliable all season. Real consistency and provides benchmark for others.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Unknown user

• niblick1874

• Canscot

3 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Get him signed up long term now. I know we're only a few months into his deal but he's already proved he's a level above our other attackers. The last thing we need is him leaving for nothing at the end of next season.

The thing in our favour is that he's been and tried at the most likely contenders, can't see Rangers coming in for him again. And he's been down south and been released by an average Championship team. 

So hopefully that will be enough to make him realise his long term future should be in Gorgie, but yes not mucking around get it done ASAP.

Have a feeling him and Atkinson setting up Boyce and a new striker could do some real damage to this league. Fingers crossed for an extension soon. 

49 minutes ago, kila said:

Those 2 Saints players taking each other out is :rofl: worthy stuff. 

The outcome would have been the same, they were never catching him. 

He doesn't need to score goals if he continues to put them on a plate for others like that.  Ran the show tonight, and is rightly getting the plaudits. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

The thing in our favour is that he's been and tried at the most likely contenders, can't see Rangers coming in for him again. And he's been down south and been released by an average Championship team. 

So hopefully that will be enough to make him realise his long term future should be in Gorgie, but yes not mucking around get it done ASAP.

Exactly, it's the type fo thing we've not done in he past , but hopefully Joe Savage will realise that this is an asset we need to protect.

JennytheJambo
2 hours ago, Buster HMFC said:

Vision and passing is class. Joe Savage aint wrong when he says steve clarke should be looking at him 

If Nisbet, Porteous, Hanlon & P Mcginn also the likes of Ryan Fraser can get into the Scotland squad Barry McKay, Halkett, Kingsley must surely be worth a look in. 

1 hour ago, Jamdub said:

As a senior on this forum, he is the man that could do what Tommy Murray did at Ibronx where he sat on the ball and sent the ball to Bobby Prentice on the wing where Donald Ford stuck it into the cookie.

It was a discreet exit to the bus, as the natives were not happy bunnies.

I think it was Brown that crossed the ball.

And, of course, when we got hammered the previous season Bud Johnston sat on the ball - "what a lark," everyone said.  Not a peep from the authorities.

They banned it after Tommy.

JennytheJambo
1 hour ago, LMc said:

Hope he gets a goal soon. Costing me a fortune sticking him on every week! Great player who really seems to be kicking on well. Easily the most dangerous we have.

Saving it for the derby, here’s hoping. 

The Future's Maroon
23 minutes ago, JennytheJambo said:

If Nisbet, Porteous, Hanlon & P Mcginn also the likes of Ryan Fraser can get into the Scotland squad Barry McKay, Halkett, Kingsley must surely be worth a look in. 

👏👏👏

The way he passes the ball so accurately I think he should take our next penalty and “pass” it sweetly into one corner or the other. Get him on the scoresheet that way👍

I would rather say he was a very good addition to the team than say he was way better than everyone else we have. What is it with this place and the goofs that post on here. 

3 minutes ago, fila said:

Been a fantastic signing , unlike GMS. 

Unless you compare their stats in terms of goals and assists. Not say Barrie isn’t great but GMS on paper has been more effective. 

14 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Unless you compare their stats in terms of goals and assists. Not say Barrie isn’t great but GMS on paper has been more effective. 

Not looked at the stats, more an observation Barrie always looks more threatening and interested . Are the stats over the same amount of games ?

Definitely his best game so far.

He can get better by scoring.   Then again he could have his worst game but get a goal.   I'm enjoying his play without a goal.   Key player in the forward area, not bad at tracking back either. 

He's a contender for a shock goal at Easter Road. 

That moment where he glides away and leaves two St Johnstone players clashing into each other...

:verysmug:

5 hours ago, Tazio said:

But this is when I think the whole stats thing can be misleading. 

I’ve been a slight critic of Mackay on and off over a few games he’s been here but he clearly is more influential, much much more.  He helps our flow of play, looks for the ball more,  he’s just a far more effective cog than GMS.

If we live by stats I think GMS’s will diminish quickly if he keeps playing the way he is.  

A_A wehatethehibs
6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

But this is when I think the whole stats thing can be misleading. 

I’ve been a slight critic of Mackay on and off over a few games he’s been here but he clearly is more influential, much much more.  He helps our flow of play, looks for the ball more,  he’s just a far more effective cog than GMS.

If we live by stats I think GMS’s will diminish quickly if he keeps playing the way he is.  

GMS sole purpose at this point is because he is left footed and brings a bit of balance. Yes others can play LW but is our only left footed option. He has chipped in his fair share, let’s say he’s pulled his weight I think all can just about agree on that with his involvement in a number of important goals. 

I believe the club will be shopping for the next GMS successor - a talented young leftie. Be nice to see another Andy Driver type come through, someone with a bit more determination and power than Gary that gives the team more

momentum. But for right now, can you pick out a better left footed option throughout the league than Mackay-Steven? That’s a genuine question for anyone that watches other teams. Lefties seem to be a little bit hard to come by at the moment so I’m happy enough that he’s our one for now. 

As for Barrie Mackay, just a total quality signing whos took a bit of time to get to match sharpness. The perfect fit for what was needed that Walker could not offer. Pace, 90 minute engine, totally unselfish creator of chances. 

End product was their tonight. Just needs a goal now. A good striker and another class forward and we'll have the best forward line we've had in decades.

25 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

GMS sole purpose at this point is because he is left footed and brings a bit of balance. Yes others can play LW but is our only left footed option. He has chipped in his fair share, let’s say he’s pulled his weight I think all can just about agree on that with his involvement in a number of important goals. 

I believe the club will be shopping for the next GMS successor - a talented young leftie. Be nice to see another Andy Driver type come through, someone with a bit more determination and power than Gary that gives the team more

momentum. But for right now, can you pick out a better left footed option throughout the league than Mackay-Steven? That’s a genuine question for anyone that watches other teams. Lefties seem to be a little bit hard to come by at the moment so I’m happy enough that he’s our one for now. 

As for Barrie Mackay, just a total quality signing whos took a bit of time to get to match sharpness. The perfect fit for what was needed that Walker could not offer. Pace, 90 minute engine, totally unselfish creator of chances. 

But GMS isn’t being played LW.  He’s more central and i have sympathy for him in that respect.  He doesn’t look overly at home there.  Easily shrugged off the ball and his confidence drains as the 90 mins goes on. 

It’s different with Mackay who looks much more confident dropping in and turning to start creating.  

There was moments last night, more in the first half, where it should’ve been GMS on the ball rather than Cochrane in the last 25 yards out wide.  He doesn’t look happy being crowded centrally.  Play him wide where there’s often more space and can see the game in front of him. 

I know rotation is a good weapon but we need to look for someone else more suited if that’s going to continue to be our style.  

Absolute quality last night. The weight of his passes were sublime. Fast becoming one of the first names on the team sheet  (along with Sir CG  )

Edited by Rogue Daddy

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

But GMS isn’t being played LW.  He’s more central and i have sympathy for him in that respect.  He doesn’t look overly at home there.  Easily shrugged off the ball and his confidence drains as the 90 mins goes on. 

It’s different with Mackay who looks much more confident dropping in and turning to start creating.  

There was moments last night, more in the first half, where it should’ve been GMS on the ball rather than Cochrane in the last 25 yards out wide.  He doesn’t look happy being crowded centrally.  Play him wide where there’s often more space and can see the game in front of him. 

I know rotation is a good weapon but we need to look for someone else more suited if that’s going to continue to be our style.  

You’ve got to say needs must with Boyce out and Gino the only replacement replacement. In general Gary is on either the left or right of the 18 yard box with Boyce central. Him and McKay float and switch around as to who goes central to be near Boyce and who drops wider. 

As I say it’s the left foot aspect that for me raises the amount of game time GMS gets 

McKays contribution to the goals was class and was the difference. He is a special talent, he does not look for safe passing but for good movement from others. If you make a run ,every chance BM will play the pass. Our build up can be slow and predictable, McKay breaks that mould and Gino benefitted from that with good movement and superb finishes. Fair play to Gino for adapting to the central role, and now gives us another option. With other results that is a great three points, well done.

7 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

I think it was Brown that crossed the ball.

And, of course, when we got hammered the previous season Bud Johnston sat on the ball - "what a lark," everyone said.  Not a peep from the authorities.

They banned it after Tommy.

Didn’t know that Colin 

Doesn't surprise me though.

8 hours ago, tian447 said:

Those 2 Saints players taking each other out is :rofl: worthy stuff. 

The outcome would have been the same, they were never catching him. 

He doesn't need to score goals if he continues to put them on a plate for others like that.  Ran the show tonight, and is rightly getting the plaudits. 

He looked like he was going to slow the move down then out of nowhere the burners come on, superb bit of play.

And there were folk on here questioning his pace earlier in the season :lol:

5 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

He looked like he was going to slow the move down then out of nowhere the burners come on, superb bit of play.

My first thought when he got the ball was "he's been running his arse of all game,has he the legs left to outsprint these defenders" Why was I worried eh!

Has knuckled down and really grabbed his opportunity here at Hearts. Has been so unlucky not to have a few goals but his overall performances have been absolutely top drawer. Once he gets one goal I think the floodgates could open up. 

Absolute Scenes

My concern was that if he had been chipping in with goals, we would batting teams away this window. I'm quite happy he hasnt scored yet because it means he is under the radar. His assist have been invaluable though. And if that is all he does i will still be happy as he is a class act. Remember the last derby he didnt even start...looking forward to seeing what he can do over in that dump.  

I’d like to see him offered a long term deal. He’s been consistent and positive in the vast majority of games for us. 

If he could chip in with some goals, he’d be immense (& worth a lot of money!)

58 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You’ve got to say needs must with Boyce out and Gino the only replacement replacement. In general Gary is on either the left or right of the 18 yard box with Boyce central. Him and McKay float and switch around as to who goes central to be near Boyce and who drops wider. 

As I say it’s the left foot aspect that for me raises the amount of game time GMS gets 

👍🏻

9 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

It's astounding that he hasn't managed a goal. Clark's save on his early drive was class.

I don't mind whether he scores lots of goals or not. He's a game-changer, absolute class. Meanwhile our friends in EH7 imagine that we are watching hoofball.

The Old Tolbooth
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

VG player. Now get him a striker.

He's got one, he's called Ginnelly, he really does look like a natural number 9 and I'd love to see them link up like this more often. 

As for Barrie, wow! What a performance that was, it's not often someone scores both goals and doesn't get man of the match. 

LarrysRightFoot

Never been a doubt about BMs natural ability but we need more of what he produced last night, which is end product. I think Robbie mentioned it as well - he needs to be scoring.

To me he seems to lack that ruthlessness to really kick on (I suppose if he had it he wouldn’t be here). 

I get the feeling Barrie McKay is going to be one of those players who flourish and play their best football in a maroon jersey. 

He was amazing last night and he seems to really be enjoying his football.

All roads lead to Gorgie

He reminds me a lot of Neil McCann in the way he can turn on a sixpence and quickly accelerate away from markers. He seems to have same level of consistency that Neil possessed as well. Our best attacking signing for some time.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

End product was their tonight. Just needs a goal now. A good striker and another class forward and we'll have the best forward line we've had in decades.

Decades? The current lot are no where near Skacel, Bednar, Jankauskas and Miko nevermind further back. Years maybe..

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I think some people forget it's one thing to run quickly in a straight line, it's another thing to do it with a ball at your feet. McKay must be the quickest at the club whilst actually dribbling past people.

Fozzyonthefence
9 hours ago, JennytheJambo said:

Will be very hard for Kingsley because of the position (well the 2 positions) he plays.  McKay playing like last night on a regular basis and still at Rangers would definitely get in the squad.  Will probably get overlooked at Hearts though.

2 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I think some people forget it's one thing to run quickly in a straight line, it's another thing to do it with a ball at your feet. McKay must be the quickest at the club whilst actually dribbling past people.

Agreed. The boys rapid.

Apart from his sublime skills and vision the thing that impresses me the most about him is his attitude.  He gets kicked - he gets up - he gets bottles and coins thrown at him he shrugs it off.  

He's a brilliant professional and is easily our best signing of the last few years, we need to be talking to him now about extending the 2yr deal he signed in Sept.

Thumb Up Emoji

He is a great player. I think we will struggle to keep him. He was on £17k a week at Swansea and dropped down to £4k to play for us, so I do feel we might be seen as a shop window for him. Enjoy him while we can.

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Tazio said:

8 hours ago, fila said:

Not looked at the stats, more an observation Barrie always looks more threatening and interested . Are the stats over the same amount of games ?

Someone posted a sky stat summary of McKay he was one of the most effective forward players in the league and the most effective at Hearts.

If you have eyes you will also se that without the need for any confirmation tbh.

22 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Decades? The current lot are no where near Skacel, Bednar, Jankauskas and Miko nevermind further back. Years maybe..

To be fair, in a few years time it'll be 20 years since the likes of Bednar and Janny were running right in 2005. So it is indeed decades 😊