Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

25 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Yeah, your playground characterisations really won the day for you. 

Go you. 

🤣

I said you were asleep if you felt that those peddling snake oil for Brexit and for Scottish indy weren't very similar. 

If that's enough for you to go off in the cream puff just stick me on ignore and save yourself the bother of having to deal with my ghastly language in future. 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

The Mighty Thor
8 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

I just wanted you to confirm that you would happily vote for further economic pain. 

Still going with that last line of defence?😂

I'm assuming you're a Scot, living in Scotland?

You know what puzzles me is that guys like yourself can sit in the current climate, after 13 years of Tory rule, after watching your own standard of living be decimated, watching the funding for your services be stolen and handed round donors and sponsors like baubles and despite all that you think the answer for the country is to go for the other guy who wants to continue with the central planks of that Tory policy but with a throwaway suggestion, not a commitment, that he might, maybe address the economic vandalism if he possibly hoodwinks enough dafties to get in?

Have you actually sat and thought that through? Have you actually thought about how that even remotely improves Scotland?

You're voting for economic pain with no outcome, no improvement. Actively seeking more of the same? 

Worse still, you want the branch office to take direction from the guy that stands for nothing to run the Scottish Parliament? 

How very 1970s of you. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Still going with that last line of defence?😂

I'm assuming you're a Scot, living in Scotland?

You know what puzzles me is that guys like yourself can sit in the current climate, after 13 years of Tory rule, after watching your own standard of living be decimated, watching the funding for your services be stolen and handed round donors and sponsors like baubles and despite all that you think the answer for the country is to go for the other guy who wants to continue with the central planks of that Tory policy but with a throwaway suggestion, not a commitment, that he might, maybe address the economic vandalism if he possibly hoodwinks enough dafties to get in?

Have you actually sat and thought that through? Have you actually thought about how that even remotely improves Scotland?

You're voting for economic pain with no outcome, no improvement. Actively seeking more of the same? 

Worse still, you want the branch office to take direction from the guy that stands for nothing to run the Scottish Parliament? 

How very 1970s of you. 

So none of the current economic pain could be attributed to say Covid, the war in Ukraine, the SNP govt … or is it just West Minster rule .. ok blame a Tory and the U.K.  

The economic vandalism of Brexit, how wouldn’t that be even worse come Scexit, where upon joining the EU would see us stuck on the same terms. If the economic case for independence existed, this would have been clearly communicated and the people of Scotland would have voted yes. 
Listen it’s been a bad bad week for independence and you rehashing the Indy dictionary isn’t going to help or change that … 

The Mighty Thor
43 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

So none of the current economic pain could be attributed to say Covid, the war in Ukraine, the SNP govt … or is it just West Minster rule .. ok blame a Tory and the U.K.  

The economic vandalism of Brexit, how wouldn’t that be even worse come Scexit, where upon joining the EU would see us stuck on the same terms. If the economic case for independence existed, this would have been clearly communicated and the people of Scotland would have voted yes. 
Listen it’s been a bad bad week for independence and you rehashing the Indy dictionary isn’t going to help or change that … 

No the current economic pain has its roots in 2010 when Osborne made some fundamentally shit decisions and we are reaping the outcome of that now. Successive Tory PM's & Chancellors have only made it worse. Covid/Ukraine/Global conditions are the lame excuses trotted out to fool the dafties that read the Mail & Express. They clearly work too. 

If you have an economic summary of Scexit then I'd love to see it. Otherwise your just repeating the shite you read on you facebook page. 

I've absolutely no idea what you're on about in your last sentence and I honestly think you don't either. 

45 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

That is it for me.
I don't care what flag is on or the colour of my passport.
I want a better standard of living. The fact there is no proper costed economic case makes me steer well clear. 

This mob at Holyrood are just as nasty and clueless as the bigger mob in Westminster.

I can just about get by right now but if things got worse under Independence then I would be screwed. Can't take that risk but I understand that people who are better off or at the other end of the spectrum, those that are on benefits don't have those concerns.

il Duce McTarkin
15 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

If you have an economic summary of Scexit then I'd love to see it.

That's what we're all after, tbf.

16 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Otherwise your just repeating the shite you read on you facebook page. 

Erm...

1 hour ago, jambomjm74 said:

A “ bad week “ more like the last month or so . An absolute unmitigated disaster . It’s fabulous 

48 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

No the current economic pain has its roots in 2010 when Osborne made some fundamentally shit decisions and we are reaping the outcome of that now. Successive Tory PM's & Chancellors have only made it worse. Covid/Ukraine/Global conditions are the lame excuses trotted out to fool the dafties that read the Mail & Express. They clearly work too. 

If you have an economic summary of Scexit then I'd love to see it. Otherwise your just repeating the shite you read on you facebook page. 

I've absolutely no idea what you're on about in your last sentence and I honestly think you don't either. 

Do you understand how aggressively you communicate… your writings are like something from the National. 

It’s actually funny reading your tripe. 

49 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Yes you’re no telling me that covid lockdowns had zero impact on the economies of the world ? 

45 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

those that are on benefits don't have those concerns.

They have zero to Lose and everything to gain by Indy 

manaliveits105
34 minutes ago, jambomjm74 said:

Do you understand how aggressively you communicate… your writings are like something from the National. 

Fair comment :jjyay:

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, jambomjm74 said:

I really genuinely don't care. 

Use ignore. 

2 hours ago, jambomjm74 said:

😿

5 hours ago, jambomjm74 said:

I’d be aggressive as well if I’d been chasing that same carrot for this long. Wee Nic’s ripped the utter piss out of them and they just can’t get enough. 

This time next year Rodney. 😂

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

I’d be aggressive as well if I’d been chasing that same carrot for this long. Wee Nic’s ripped the utter piss out of them and they just can’t get enough. 

This time next year Rodney. 😂

😂

Another Jockholm Syndrome sufferer appears. 

This time next year Dazo you'll be worse off than you are today, same as every year for the last 13 years.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

😂

This time next year Dazo you'll be worse off than you are today, same as every year for the last 13 years.

Fair comment.

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

😂

Need to take the rough with the smooth Thor, I’ll get through it. 😊

manaliveits105

Another failure - completion of the A9 dual carriageway won’t be completed by target date 2025 

not the snp governments fault though apparently it’s Brexit - Covid and the Ukraine war the very things that Sturgeon won’t accept as excuses from the UK Government 

peep peep ! 

On 07/02/2023 at 18:42, BlueRiver said:

Handing that same closed shop to the SNP who've done in my view very little since 2007 isn't much better but that's by the by. 

The Brexit conundrum is a tough one I admit. Personally I see it more as a pragmatic approach for the time being. Labour need to actually get close to power and undermining support in key constituencies won't help that. I know Starmer isn't for everyone, but I actually like the look of a Labour leader who appears to want to exercise power for a change after so long. 

On this point though and circling back to the overall intentions of this thread. Do you think a Scottish independence vote would overnight see the economy of Scotland transformed for the better? Many forecasts place the damage on a par or worse than that of Brexit. You wouldn't be arguing to rejoin the Union after 2 years if the Scottish economy wasn't performing as it had before would you? 

Edit: Also for avoidance of doubt I didn't call the voters monkeys. I said they'd vote for a monkey in a yellow rosette. 

TBF the monkey would probably be more coherent than Stephen Flynn

11 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Another failure - completion of the A9 dual carriageway won’t be completed by target date 2025 

not the snp governments fault though apparently it’s Brexit - Covid and the Ukraine war the very things that Sturgeon won’t accept as excuses from the UK Government 

peep peep ! 

I blame the Tories. 

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

I blame the Tories. 

I'd blame the principal contractor. 

Mind you soft lad probably imagines Sturgeon and Swinney are laying the road themselves. 

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Mind you soft lad probably imagines Sturgeon and Swinney are laying the road themselves. 

No probably just presiding over another shitshow of Scottish public procurement.

They might be quicker laying it themselves mind.

More productive for Scotland too.

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You mean they bloody aren't?! 

Then what they getting all that money for? Disgraceful. Lead from the front Nicola! 

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

You mean they bloody aren't?! 

Then what they getting all that money for? Disgraceful. Lead from the front Nicola! 

She'd be able to devote more time to transport if she wasn't firefighting transphobes.

manaliveits105

Nicola Sturgeon's plan to turn the next General Election into a 'de facto' Scexit referendum has been blasted by two of the party's leading figures.

Former Holyrood Cabinet minister Alex Neil and Nat MP Stewart McDonald, who was a key figure under Ian Blackford, have drawn up an alternative proposal for next month's special SNP conference.

the natives are restless - rebellion at the snp conference  awaits 

damn it :greggy:

32 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

In other words. The Scottish Government are talking pure Tom Kite, but I will never say that publicly.

23 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Labour are hopeless and he knows it! 

The British/UK Establishment is corrupt to the absolute core. The Scottish Establishment is infested by undermining, childish, foolish morons like Ross, Sarwar, Kerr, Cole-Hamilton and their ilk. That part of the establishment are not only poor politicians but come across as awful people. Wouldn't trust a unionist politician in any capacity that has the responsibility to represent Scotland!

So no members of the governing party in Scotland are part of the Scottish establishment?

:vrface:

16 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Unfortunately, Sturgeon is having some difficulties after the single carriageway stretch just after the snow gates self-identified as dual.

Dual carriageway, or Bisexual carriageway?

A lot of Independence supporters complaining about UK support for Ukraine today.

I think they are like Pavlovs dogs just on full grievance rather than supporters of Russia.

But you never know. Especially out of NATO. 

1 hour ago, Korky said:

So no members of the governing party in Scotland are part of the Scottish establishment?

:vrface:

Where did I say that? 

How much are the tax payers of Scotland having to fork up for all the siver polish we've used keeping the calcutta cup clean all these years? That's what I want to know.

9 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

How much are the tax payers of Scotland having to fork up for all the siver polish we've used keeping the calcutta cup clean all these years? That's what I want to know.

Brasso. Best for keeping the silver gleaming. It's what I use.

Just now, John Findlay said:

Brasso. Best for keeping the silver gleaming. It's what I use.

Isn't that a drink?

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

A lot of Independence supporters complaining about UK support for Ukraine today.

I think they are like Pavlovs dogs just on full grievance rather than supporters of Russia.

But you never know. Especially out of NATO. 

Suppose there’s the precedent of the SNP backing Nazi germany.

Like Ireland being neutral in the war, which was also the equivalent of backing the Germans.

Hagar the Horrible

The next big thing Nikoliar wants to come up with is zero branding on whisky and other wine/spirits and beer, like cigarettes.  And banning mechandise. 

Even the SNP members demand a pause to deposit return scheme.

She has got too close to the greens and the trade off is as always an impending disaster

She still wont answer the question is ISLA who has a penis a man or a woman? throwing the SPS under a bus and blaming it on big bad westminster as its their jurisdiction, in which she has confirmed that this is the case yet still wants to go to court with tax payers money for them to say the same bleeding thing.

She is now blaming Westminster again for energy companies breaking into peoples houses and installing pre-paid meters.  Its always big bad boys did it and ran away.

She is more and more looking like and acting like Maggie Thatchers spitting image dummy

11 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

The next big thing Nikoliar wants to come up with is zero branding on whisky and other wine/spirits and beer, like cigarettes.  And banning mechandise. 

Even the SNP members demand a pause to deposit return scheme.

She has got too close to the greens and the trade off is as always an impending disaster

She still wont answer the question is ISLA who has a penis a man or a woman? throwing the SPS under a bus and blaming it on big bad westminster as its their jurisdiction, in which she has confirmed that this is the case yet still wants to go to court with tax payers money for them to say the same bleeding thing.

She is now blaming Westminster again for energy companies breaking into peoples houses and installing pre-paid meters.  Its always big bad boys did it and ran away.

She is more and more looking like and acting like Maggie Thatchers spitting image dummy

Couldn’t stand thatcher but she’s no where in her league as a politician . Pound shop maybe . A busted flush and running on empty now . The greens was a deal with the devil . A party with little popular vote with some influence . So much for democracy 

On 09/02/2023 at 13:27, JudyJudyJudy said:

Couldn’t stand thatcher but she’s no where in her league as a politician . Pound shop maybe . A busted flush and running on empty now . The greens was a deal with the devil . A party with little popular vote with some influence . So much for democracy 

Jesus Frederick Christ man, you just spout thoughtless clichés some days!

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Jesus Frederick Christ man, you just spout thoughtless clichés some days!

😂😂😂

3C08EA0F-FB7A-43DC-99B2-E754834B564B.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

At the end of the day, as long as everyone gives 110%, it'll be a game of 2 halves 😆

Oh you are awful ,,,,

• 4 weeks later...
That thing you do

https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/climate-change-is-one-reason-why-scotland-is-drawing-closer-to-arctic-nations-angus-robertson-4049833

Found this very interesting read.

As much Scotlands link with Arctic nations as to the amount of funding grants with Scottish companies involved and some of the stupid cooperative projects the Tories through out for Brexit. It seems anything with European in the title was kicked out no matter now ridiculou

manaliveits105

Will they apologise and pay us compensation for all the vikings rape and pillaging ? 
If not they can GTF