***World Cup Play-off Draw - Ukraine. ***

iantjambo

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Dunno, he might fancy Euro 2024.

We aint getting there with Clarke in charge.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Malinga the Swinga

• Mikey1874

• Sooks

WheatfieldWarrior
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He isn’t the best left back in the world by a long shot. Far from it. 

He’s a system player for Liverpool who is effective on an overlap. 

Tierney better overall IMO.

I've never seen Robertson play well. not once. 

WheatfieldWarrior
1 minute ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

We aint getting there with Clarke in charge.

I think he should go now as well tbh.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Dunno, he might fancy Euro 2024.

Can’t change his nationality. 

5 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Hendry and Souttar are better than any of the three that started in central defence. 

Stephen was golfing and Alan had a shift at the fire station, but yes you’re right, they are better than any of the 3 imposters Scotland picked tonight. 

Fozzyonthefence
14 minutes ago, XB52 said:

We were better when we played Mctominey in midfield, the position he plays every bloody week. Got 2 CHs on the bench but no, put a midfielder there instead

We actually had 3 CBS on the bench - Soutar, McKenna, Hendry.  Yet Clarke plays a midfielder who’s been brutal for us at RCB previously including at the Euro finals.  Utterly baffling.

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Stephen was golfing and Alan had a shift at the fire station, but yes you’re right, they are better than any of the 3 imposters Scotland picked tonight. 

Alan is actually just one “t”. 🎯 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yep. Best thing to do when the other players around you are one-dimensional hod-carriers is to avoid standing out as a decent player. That's team spirit :) 

Or how about adjusting your ineffective play, to let others have a chance to change their play, so you can all work together. He didn't look decent, just isolated. He looked better later when he connected with other players on his side. It's a team game. He shouldn't be playing wide right anyway.

4 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

I think he should go now as well tbh.

So, who's coming in ? Not saying Clarke is the man, but who the **** is ?

25 minutes ago, stirlo said:

The thing is that regardless of whether Clarke got his tactics right or wrong tonight, there were far too many players who just didn't turn up. 

One thing that I still cannot get my head around is why did Chelsea send Billy Gilmour on loan to Norwich of all places? They were always going to be in a relegation struggle so how did they think that was going to benefit him? He looks like a player really short on confidence. 

Agree, the moment McTominay stepped up into midfield we looked a different side. Gilmour has had a torrid year - shouldn't have been near the team.

Fozzyonthefence
2 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Or how about adjusting your ineffective play, to let others have a chance to change their play, so you can all work together. He didn't look decent, just isolated. He looked better later when he connected with other players on his side. It's a team game. He shouldn't be playing wide right anyway.

Why not?  He’s played there in Serie A this season and for us.

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Certainly not for Scotland. Must do something to stay in that Liverpool team, but he very rarely seems to deliver a killer pass or goal for the NT.

Probably more to do with Jota/Salah/Mane/Diaz/Firmino instead of Dykes/Adams/McGinn or Nisbet. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, spacerjoe said:

Agree, the moment McTominay stepped up into midfield we looked a different side. Gilmour has had a torrid year - shouldn't have been near the team.

Not sure if it had much to do with that, they walzed through about four times when he moved forward. 
He will be emptied from Man U soon and end up at WBA or some such place, his defensive shortcomings don’t disappear when he’s in midfield. 

49 minutes ago, Rockwell said:

Too many Scotland  players were playing for struggling clubs at the end of the season and their poor club form carried on to tonight

That's a perceptive comment.  And I would add that others will have been involved in many pressured games at the other end of their tables.

Whereas Ukraine players have had no such pressure and have merely trained.

stevie1874
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

He is tactically stubborn but like any other Scotland manager he’s got a limited pool of talent to work with. For someone in that position to stick loyally to players where other options might work or at least should be tried is a glaring deficiency. I think he tried to change it at half time realising we were getting done in the middle of the park but 2 minutes in we lose a second and the plan goes out the window in favour of trying to Chuck the kitchen sink at them which they are just too good to fall for.

I think it might be time for a change now. He’s done his best but he’s becoming a dinosaur and we need a more modern thinking and tactician who can work with a basket of mostly broken toys and make some of them work.

Think your possibly right regarding change in the manager position, but I do think we have a decent squad of players who mostly are technically good but tonight so many of them looked of it although we deffo lack a quality striker.  Clarke’s deficiencies is he’s to loyal to certain players, really don’t know how Mcginn lasted the whole game he was woeful. 

Howdy Doody Jambo

Scotland 😂 minnows

Great keeper but nothing else,  have been playing player's out of their club positions for decades 

Clarke will be looking to get back into league football soon 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Porteous on sportscene, what the **** does he know about this level 🤦🏽

Yes a strange appointment.  Though he did speak reasonably well.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure if it had much to do with that, they walzed through about four times when he moved forward. 
He will be emptied from Man U soon and end up at WBA or some such place, his defensive shortcomings don’t disappear when he’s in midfield. 

It was more from an attacking sense I thought we improved, as he was in the opposition half causing problems, whereas Gilmour just sat back.

Don't doubt your predication on his career though!

lost in space

Ratings-

Gordon - 8

Dykes - 2

Adams - 3

McTominey - 3

Rest -4.

Clarke - 1 - shocking tactics. Craig Levein in disguise.

2 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Scotland 😂 minnows

Great keeper but nothing else,  have been playing player's out of their club positions for decades 

Clarke will be looking to get back into league football soon 

Why Souttar didn't get on I can't comprehend. 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Yes a strange appointment.  Though he did speak reasonably well.

He does actually 😆

8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Agree to disagree on this, mate? I can't be arsed defending Hickey all night after he had an average game. Although it appears from reading the thread that pundits and online bams are saying he was terrible. I think that accusation could be laid at the central defence, midfield and forwards tonight.

Yes, agree. He was no better, or worse than many tonight. I don't think he was good, but, that could be said about most. Maybe not big Craig. All the best Jonesy, I'm disappointed, and still down after the cup final. Fitba is hard, but we keep coming back. :laugh:

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

It was more from an attacking sense I thought we improved, as he was in the opposition half causing problems, whereas Gilmour just sat back.

Don't doubt your predication on his career though!

He’s actually better going forward, shouldn’t see him again at CH surely. 

Dennis Reynolds
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

He does actually 😆

Agree, I did not expect that. Think it's time for bed 😶

15 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Alan is actually just one “t”. 🎯 

True dat. Definitely more of a verbal quip. 😁

9 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Gilmour is a player who really needs to rip it up and start again somehow or he’ll get lost and forgotten. Not good enough for Chelsea. Not good enough to make a difference at Norwich. Needs to drop down a league or try and get himself to Glasgow if they’ll take a chance on him.

13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Why not?  He’s played there in Serie A this season and for us.

He's better on the left turning in to the right, always was.

WheatfieldWarrior
1 minute ago, whodanny said:

So, who's coming in ? Not saying Clarke is the man, but who the **** is ?

Moyes, most likely IMO.

Or a hilarious punt on Naismith.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

That's a perceptive comment.  And I would add that others will have been involved in many pressured games at the other end of their tables.

Whereas Ukraine players have had no such pressure and have merely trained.

The Everton, West Ham and Man City players had pressure games, they all also had the weight of hope and expectation of a war torn nation on their shoulders. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

Agree, I did not expect that. Think it's time for bed 😶

I’m sober as well 🤦🏽

Howdy Doody Jambo
4 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Why Souttar didn't get on I can't comprehend. 

It would have been common sense however Clarke picked a midfielder to play at the back instead 

I said ages ago I was done for the night, so I'm away lads, disappointed with the last couple of weeks of fitba. But that's life as a Jambo. I won't change. Hearts by a loooooooooooooong way, and Scotland. Night guys.

2 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Moyes, most likely IMO.

Or a hilarious punt on Naismith.

Moyes ? Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Naisy ? A long shot, but maybe a breath of fresh air.

WheatfieldWarrior
32 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Hendry and Souttar are better than any of the three that started in central defence. 

Hendry's pish, but still better than those three.

8 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Think your possibly right regarding change in the manager position, but I do think we have a decent squad of players who mostly are technically good but tonight so many of them looked of it although we deffo lack a quality striker.  Clarke’s deficiencies is he’s to loyal to certain players, really don’t know how Mcginn lasted the whole game he was woeful. 

Because like almost all our forward players he’s got a ‘moment’ in him and we’ve lived off those moments for a while now. When the moments don’t come we look toothless. How long has it been since a reasonably top class striker was eligible for Scotland ? Mo Johnston ? McCoist ? Millar ?

25 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We actually had 3 CBS on the bench - Soutar, McKenna, Hendry.  Yet Clarke plays a midfielder who’s been brutal for us at RCB previously including at the Euro finals.  Utterly baffling.

Only Clark knows why, as you say, baffling. 

Tommy Brown
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Porteous on sportscene, what the **** does he know about this level 🤦🏽

Agreed. Switched off as soon as I realised who he was. 

Avoided the score to watch the highlights.

Well gubbed.

tiger Rudi

Playing at international level, you play the best players available in each position, it's not rocket science. You don't make a good left sided player, play out of position (Hickey) as a not so good right wing back. It's one thing doing it at club level but christ this was the World Cup qualifier!! Same story with McTominay. Clarke tried this before & Robertson was shite on the right. Did he not learn! Hickey is not even an established international yet. Ralston & even O Donnell should have played before him. Souttar was outstanding at Hampden, if there wasn't a place for McTominay in midfield, he shouldn't have started. Round pegs in square holes at this level doesn't work. Ukraine were excellent, our first half long ball game to Dykes was out of the dark ages ffs. Christie is an intelligent tidy player and should start from now on. He does the same link up play Boyce does, only better. 

WheatfieldWarrior
2 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Moyes ? Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Naisy ? A long shot, but maybe a breath of fresh air.

Maloney's available.  and Scott Brown could do a j...... actually no probably he couldn't.

7 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Hendry's pish, but still better than those three.

Ooooooo careful mate. He’s been mentioned in some quarters as a Hearts target. He’d do for me.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Agreed. Switched off as soon as I realised who he was. 

Avoided the score to watch the highlights.

Well gubbed.

Could’ve been 6 or 7.

5 minutes ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Maloney's available.  and Scott Brown could do a j...... actually no probably he couldn't.

:laugh: See you in the Wheatfield next season Jambo. HHGH.

10 minutes ago, tiger Rudi said:

Playing at international level, you play the best players available in each position, it's not rocket science. You don't make a good left sided player, play out of position (Hickey) as a not so good right wing back. It's one thing doing it at club level but christ this was the World Cup qualifier!! Same story with McTominay. Clarke tried this before & Robertson was shite on the right. Did he not learn! Hickey is not even an established international yet. Ralston & even O Donnell should have played before him. Souttar was outstanding at Hampden, if there wasn't a place for McTominay in midfield, he shouldn't have started. Round pegs in square holes at this level doesn't work. Ukraine were excellent, our first half long ball game to Dykes was out of the dark ages ffs. Christie is an intelligent tidy player and should start from now on. He does the same link up play Boyce does, only better. 

Thanks man, well thought out. Now ! goodnight Kickback.!

Francis Albert
16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Because like almost all our forward players he’s got a ‘moment’ in him and we’ve lived off those moments for a while now. When the moments don’t come we look toothless. How long has it been since a reasonably top class striker was eligible for Scotland ? Mo Johnston ? McCoist ? Millar ?

JR. Oh wait we didn't play him

40 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Absolutely hammered at home by a team that has hardly played a game this season... shocking performance by manager and players!

I watched it in Australia. My view is this, nobody can compete with the level of motivation that Ukraine had.

A simple choice between kicking a football around OR carrying a NLAW missile launcher on the Front Lines.

They’d have beaten France in Paris tonight….

WheatfieldWarrior
15 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Ooooooo careful mate. He’s been mentioned in some quarters as a Hearts target. He’d do for me.

:) He was ok for the part of the game today, but not sure I can unsee his Celtic performances.

He'll get a fresh start from me if he does sign, but I can't see it.