TYNECASTLE STADIUM UPGRADE POTENTIAL - UEFA category 4 granted ( updated/merged )

rickyjambo

37 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

A lot of unnecessary negativity about ticket uptake for Saturday but to shine a bit of a different light on income from punters attending Tynecastle I had a conversation with the Manager of Hospitality at Tynecastle in the last hour and she and her team are absolutely run off their feet currently. They have absolutely no availability for any game pre split which has been the case for the last few matches, especially 3pm matches. They have both a waiting list for the St Mirren and Ross County games and a waiting list for any/all post split matches. They are currently planning for there to be games v both Celtic and Hibs and ANOther.

This marries up with what those in charge of merchandise have been saying for months now (back to the European away trips). The income stream for ticket sales, hospitality and merchandise will see records set in next years accounts. Never have Hearts seen the numbers that are being spent by our support. 

The new Main Stand and the facilities it offers are going to be so beneficial to the club for years to come not to mention the proposed hotel rooms. It does make you wonder how, in time, we can further develop the ground as there is no doubting the demand for hospitality and corporate space. She said they could easily be filling more seats/tables for these upcoming games and the standard of facility on offer is clearly proving popular at the price points available. 

Love all this good news. :flag2:

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Sooks

• Watt-Zeefuik

• OTT

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

highlandjambo3
On 06/03/2023 at 19:33, Bazzas right boot said:

Aye, or it pops out from a hole in tbe ground.

Right in the centre spot.

Flood lights off and  spot lights stay on the ref.

Forget that, what you said.

Could we change that to a laser gunsight?

highlandjambo3
3 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Absolutely, by end of year we'll have Hotel on 3rd floor of main stand 

Has work started?

3 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Does anyone have any knowledge of the club perhaps looking at the possibility of us extending capacity...These things generally take a good couple of years in planning, never mind funding...I so hope they are with future demand and us trying being closer to the big two and more competitive overall.  We are still a work in progress and you can clearly see that the club is steadily improving on and off the park. With the hotel to open hopefully this year i hope they are exploring every single avenue possible. 

Onwards & upwards......

Don’t think there’s any meaningful way of increasing current site capacity without spending upwards of £25m. Doubt they will be discussing that unless Mr Anderson is willing to fund it over a long term period 

A_A wehatethehibs

Great to hear we are 1 of 5 Scottish stadiums to get to this level 

Let’s enjoy this era of Tynecastle. In 20-30 years time things may change but since Budge came in, It’s been about pragmatism to work with what we have, we have made the decision to upgrade Tynecastle to a level on par with the best premium elite stadiums in the world, this category 4 status makes that official. Great achievement by the club 

Craig Herbertson

Fantastic news. BVB Dortmund have screens outside the stadium and beer gardens. Shame we can't do this. We'll have to look at alternatives to filling the stadium - huge screens up in the suites, other venues. Bright future ahead.

2 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Arite Rodney

49 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Great to hear we are 1 of 5 Scottish stadiums to get to this level 

Let’s enjoy this era of Tynecastle. In 20-30 years time things may change but since Budge came in, It’s been about pragmatism to work with what we have, we have made the decision to upgrade Tynecastle to a level on par with the best premium elite stadiums in the world, this category 4 status makes that official. Great achievement by the club 

Cant be right Hibs.net think they and Pittodrie have it already and have for a long time

highlandjambo3
3 minutes ago, sadj said:

Cant be right Hibs.net think they and Pittodrie have it already and have for a long time

AAC98C00-CBF2-406C-B073-A384F18CDEFA.png

A_A wehatethehibs
23 minutes ago, sadj said:

Their faces when they find out it’s not 

blowfish giff.jpg

Excellent news this. Would love to know if the club have any plans to apply to host any matches such as the UEFA Super Cup. A brief look at the venues used for the Super Cup in recent years shows they’re all 4 star stadiums with varying capacities, but there have been a few that are around 20k. 

Could you imagine that? Real Madrid or Bayern Munich playing at Tynecastle. :lol: 

Luckies1874

3-1 Rangers. Wrong thread but who cares! 😂

Edited by Luckies1874

I think that is a tremendous achievement. I really want to hear that there are some discussions at board level around stadium expansion though. Its silly, but it bothers me that our stadium isn't the 3rd largest club stadium in Scotland.  Beyond that, a waiting list of over 3k says the demand is there if we're competitive. We don't even need to be laying a glove on the OF, just to be getting 3rd and competing in Europe. 

Its worth the investment if we can pull together the funds to do it. Max out the capacity of a new Wheatfield so that the club can continue its upwards trajectory!! 

5 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

A lot of unnecessary negativity about ticket uptake for Saturday but to shine a bit of a different light on income from punters attending Tynecastle I had a conversation with the Manager of Hospitality at Tynecastle in the last hour and she and her team are absolutely run off their feet currently. They have absolutely no availability for any game pre split which has been the case for the last few matches, especially 3pm matches. They have both a waiting list for the St Mirren and Ross County games and a waiting list for any/all post split matches. They are currently planning for there to be games v both Celtic and Hibs and ANOther.

This marries up with what those in charge of merchandise have been saying for months now (back to the European away trips). The income stream for ticket sales, hospitality and merchandise will see records set in next years accounts. Never have Hearts seen the numbers that are being spent by our support. 

The new Main Stand and the facilities it offers are going to be so beneficial to the club for years to come not to mention the proposed hotel rooms. It does make you wonder how, in time, we can further develop the ground as there is no doubting the demand for hospitality and corporate space. She said they could easily be filling more seats/tables for these upcoming games and the standard of facility on offer is clearly proving popular at the price points available. 

I don't see the point in reading into ticket uptake against the OF. Fans ultimately want to have a good day out and watch their team win. That isn't a good or bad thing, just a reality. Why else do teams at the bottom of the league typically struggle with attendances? We're not competitive enough against the OF and as we've seen today, we're immediately punished for the slightest error. Its exhausting, we score against them and its not hugely enjoyable because invariably the question becomes when is the equaliser coming, because we cannot shut them out. 

Had we drawn any non-OF team, I've no doubt we'd have been looking at another capacity crowd. 

Anyway, onto the positive, really pleased to hear hospitality is rammed! Thats really good, and hopefully the club can continue to build on its hospitality offerings. IIRC a massive part of Aberdeens revenue comes from hospitality, so if we can really build up what we're doing on the hospitality front then that could be a real money spinner for the club. 

Its absolutely wonderful having such a strong off the field team. It really feels like the first time in my lifetime where we've had competent ownership. 

Easter Road marked down for having rat shite in the pies. 

Also for having shitey wee rats in the stands, too, chucking things at opponents. 

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
9 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

No need to wonder; the answer is obvious.

Da Cornerz.

Can't believe it hasn't been discussed already on this thread.

16 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Their faces when they find out it’s not 

blowfish giff.jpg

PLOOK......

Pasquale for King
18 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Excuse my ignorance but is the Skyline lounge in use on matchdays, could they squeeze more corporate folk in there?

Pasquale for King
9 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

No need to wonder; the answer is obvious.

Da Cornerz.

Can't believe it hasn't been discussed already on this thread.

Hahaha, can’t fill them in, can’t score from them. 
Will someone at the club please think of the CORNERS FFS 🤬😂?!?!

Luckies1874
13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Excuse my ignorance but is the Skyline lounge in use on matchdays, could they squeeze more corporate folk in there?

Skyline very much in use on match days and been completely sold out for virtually every home game. They have a waiting list for the remaining 4/5 home games this season. They expect to see an uptick in the sales of ST tables there next year which will of course limit what is available on a game to game basis. It's very good - was lucky enough to the derby at New Year there and it compared very well to hospitality I've been at at notable places elsewhere. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Pasquale for King
Just now, Luckies1874 said:

Skyline very much in use on match days and been completely sold out for virtually every home game. They have a waiting list for the remaining 4/5 home games this season. They expect to see ST tables there next year which will of course limit what is available on a game to game basis. It's very good - was lucky enough to the derby at New Year there and it compared very well to hospitality I've been at at notable places elsewhere. 

Sorry It was a daft question 👍🏽
May well be another reason ST holders aren’t at their normal seats for home games if they don't pass on the ticket. 

Luckies1874
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sorry It was a daft question 👍🏽
May well be another reason ST holders aren’t at their normal seats for home games if they don't pass on the ticket. 

Nah not a daft question at all. It was interesting to chat with them yesterday (trying to organise a table) and hear just how successful the new stand facilities are proving. My limited experience, due to having been abroad quite a bit, was excellent and it was clear that hearing that meant something to those tasked with bringing the club revenue through the lounges and hospitality areas. The Heritage Lounge was completely sold out as Season Tickets before the season even began and it seems they anticipate more people taking 19 game packages next season for other areas.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Nah not a daft question at all. It was interesting to chat with them yesterday (trying to organise a table) and hear just how successful the new stand facilities are proving. My limited experience, due to having been abroad quite a bit, was excellent and it was clear that hearing that meant something to those tasked with bringing the club revenue through the lounges and hospitality areas. The Heritage Lounge was completely sold out as Season Tickets before the season even began and it seems they anticipate more people taking 19 game packages next season for other areas.

All sounds good, doesn’t seem to be the free for all bevvy session it used to be, Ive only been once about 9 years ago. 

ScottieMac17
15 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

It’s the fenceposts that done it 

:verysmug:

Sorry if it been mentioned already but why have we put the maroon fences up? haha

steinbeckjambo1874
21 hours ago, Sooks said:

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity 

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?322200-Hearts-New-Stand-Thread-(Merged)/page429

Delightful reading! They don't care, of course, which is why they have *checks notes* 430 pages on our stadium on their forum. 

A little bit like how they don't care anymore about 5-1, but are desperate to tell us whenever it comes up... 😄

Shooter McGavin
3 minutes ago, ScottieMac17 said:

Sorry if it been mentioned already but why have we put the maroon fences up? haha

There seems to be a general idea that they’re either there as a wind-block, or to stop people congregating on the corners between the stands, or they’ll be covered with advertisements.

I don’t think anyone really knows. What we do know is that they look feckin’ horrible 😂

To be fair, I think the wood panelling looks decent from a distance, when it’s not clear it’s wood.

If the coverage went all the way up to the top of each pillar it would create a very decent impression, (four imposing “solid” pillars).

Edited by Hearts_fan

My favourite comment from the Hobos.com site..........

QUOTE......

""Hearts have went from using Lithuanian bankers money under Romanov to Using there own fans Money under Budge and they get a certificate and a tin badge and a lunch wi Billy broon 😆""

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Have you seen the size of the Easter road changing rooms? There's no way they're cat 4.

You could not swing one cat in them never mind four 

Watt-Zeefuik

Since this seems to be the week of introspection after getting knocked out of the cup, I'll just say that I don't think we can truly "close the gap" on the OF until we get a bigger stadium. We can narrow the gap a good bit with European revenue, and we can support that with player development and trading. But we're still going to be a tremendous disadvantage without a bigger stadium.

Scottish football is unusually reliant, for European teams, on in-person support. The availability of the EPL on national broadcast dampens the market for the domestic product. On the flip side, Scots turn out for match tickets at rates unmatched almost anywhere.

I've said before the model should be Elland Rd. Pay NBDC to move the ethanol, buy the bit of the community pitch behind the Wheatfield, and build a 15k stand. We had 3,500 on the season ticket waiting list. If that becomes 4000 season tickets that we sell in a new stand that's over £20 million in new revenue over 10 years. That should be enough to finance half the stand.

Leeds United fans react on Twitter to Ryan Edmondson tweet after ...

I'm not impatient. I know this will take time. But we're all frustrated with the financial ceiling we're bumping into. A 29k capacity stadium that we could fill regularly could give us the boost we need over the rest and bring our revenues to within 30-50% of the OF.

6 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Since this seems to be the week of introspection after getting knocked out of the cup, I'll just say that I don't think we can truly "close the gap" on the OF until we get a bigger stadium. We can narrow the gap a good bit with European revenue, and we can support that with player development and trading. But we're still going to be a tremendous disadvantage without a bigger stadium.

Scottish football is unusually reliant, for European teams, on in-person support. The availability of the EPL on national broadcast dampens the market for the domestic product. On the flip side, Scots turn out for match tickets at rates unmatched almost anywhere.

I've said before the model should be Elland Rd. Pay NBDC to move the ethanol, buy the bit of the community pitch behind the Wheatfield, and build a 15k stand. We had 3,500 on the season ticket waiting list. If that becomes 4000 season tickets that we sell in a new stand that's over £20 million in new revenue over 10 years. That should be enough to finance half the stand.

I'm not impatient. I know this will take time. But we're all frustrated with the financial ceiling we're bumping into. A 29k capacity stadium that we could fill regularly could give us the boost we need over the rest and bring our revenues to within 30-50% of the OF.

it definitely all hinges on the distillery and the Wheatfield or even a wrap around. It also hinges on whether our benefactors would want to foot a big part of the bill 

2 minutes ago, Mahroon said:

I get where you are coming from but think we are in a catch 22 at the moment. Take Saturday for example, we didn’t fill the stadium due to the fact most of us that didn’t go knew deep down we would be getting an absolute skudding. I don’t think we would fill the stadium week in week out untill we were challenging for the league, then people would be desperate to go to every away game there for would need to be going to every home game for LP etc. 

It all depends how you market it . If we were able to do some thing like Ted is proposing above and for it not to impact our playing budget , then we could market it as us making a step towards trying to challenge for greater honours and whip up a bit of excitement and positivity . Let the fans know that now is the time to get back to supporting the club , and now is the time for new fans to join up , because we are going for it and we can only do it with every one who is a supporter playing their part . I think a few lapsed fans would like that idea and new fans would be keen to get involved 

Ricardo Quaresma
21 minutes ago, Sooks said:

it definitely all hinges on the distillery and the Wheatfield or even a wrap around. It also hinges on whether our benefactors would want to foot a big part of the bill 

It all depends how you market it . If we were able to do some thing like Ted is proposing above and for it not to impact our playing budget , then we could market it as us making a step towards trying to challenge for greater honours and whip up a bit of excitement and positivity . Let the fans know that now is the time to get back to supporting the club , and now is the time for new fans to join up , because we are going for it and we can only do it with every one who is a supporter playing their part . I think a few lapsed fans would like that idea and new fans would be keen to get involved 

The timing of this is extremely important too

If we were to do this, we need to think about our very important current goal of reaching group stages in Europe; it's been stated that they are guaranteed for another 2 seasons and I'll be starting another thread soon regarding this

We can't let any other team get third and GS football and if we want to replace the Wheatfield then that would mean using Murrayfield like last time; I don't like the idea of trying to get 3rd in the league whilst using that stadium

The goal in Europe is surely to raise our coefficient to pot 2 level in ECL; no idea what we would need for pot 3 in EL either, but it seems obvious our squad needs to be bigger and better in any scenario and we may have to wait for at least 2 / 3 years before it becomes a good time to take on expansion

Selkirkhmfc1874
14 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

The timing of this is extremely important too

If we were to do this, we need to think about our very important current goal of reaching group stages in Europe; it's been stated that they are guaranteed for another 2 seasons and I'll be starting another thread soon regarding this

We can't let any other team get third and GS football and if we want to replace the Wheatfield then that would mean using Murrayfield like last time; I don't like the idea of trying to get 3rd in the league whilst using that stadium

The goal in Europe is surely to raise our coefficient to pot 2 level in ECL; no idea what we would need for pot 3 in EL either, but it seems obvious our squad needs to be bigger and better in any scenario and we may have to wait for at least 2 / 3 years before it becomes a good time to take on expansion

I thought this was the last season of guaranteed scottish cup winners / 3rd in league qualifying for group stage European football ️?

Ricardo Quaresma
19 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

I thought this was the last season of guaranteed scottish cup winners / 3rd in league qualifying for group stage European football ️?

Definitely not the last; Scotland's country coefficient is quite far ahead; Austria & Serbia are now all out of Europe and turkey still have a lot to do to catch Serbia, although they have scored heavily and still have 3 teams left out of 5, 2 in ECL and 1 in EL

Jambo in Yorkshire
16 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Definitely not the last; Scotland's country coefficient is quite far ahead; Austria & Serbia are now all out of Europe and turkey still have a lot to do to catch Serbia, although they have scored heavily and still have 3 teams left out of 5, 2 in ECL and 1 in EL

At the moment 2nd in the league is more at threat than 3rd.  If Scotland drops a couple of places 2nd in the league would enter the CL at qualifying round 2. (1st in league would enter CL at the play off round)

However 3rd in the league would still be the EL play off round.

11 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I agree that the club at the very least need to be thinking of the possibility of expansion, but I'm not convinced that adding around 9,000 seats to the Wheatfield is really viable, even if the club were to acquire necessary land from the distillery. The problem as I see it is that at the south end of the Wheatfield you've not got a huge amount of space before you run into Wheatfield Street. The Wheatfield stand is about as steep as it's possible to build a stand so I think it would be difficult to add much more than 4-5,000 seats (which is about the equivalent of the 'upper tier' of the Wheatfield at the moment) - particularly if you wanted to add some corporate facilities.

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, stirlo said:

I agree that the club at the very least need to be thinking of the possibility of expansion, but I'm not convinced that adding around 9,000 seats to the Wheatfield is really viable, even if the club were to acquire necessary land from the distillery. The problem as I see it is that at the south end of the Wheatfield you've not got a huge amount of space before you run into Wheatfield Street. The Wheatfield stand is about as steep as it's possible to build a stand so I think it would be difficult to add much more than 4-5,000 seats (which is about the equivalent of the 'upper tier' of the Wheatfield at the moment) - particularly if you wanted to add some corporate facilities.

The footprint of Elland Road's east stand, which holds 14,900 spectators plus corporate facilities, would be a few feet shy of fitting on the extra land behind the Wheatfield. (I don't know if that number includes the corner wings, but that's 1-2k seats at best.) It's not particularly steep. It originally fit 17,000 spectators but some of of those seats were taken to make room for the corporate boxes.

This wouldn't be an addition to the Wheatfield, it would be a full demolition and replacement. At least as I'm imagining it.

EDIT: I should clarify that Elland Road's east stand would fit without the entry hall and I presume stair and elevator tower that hangs off the back of it. But the footprint of the seating area would fully fit. From the edge of the pitch to the back of the footprint of the seating structure, absent the cantilevers that hang off the back, the Leeds stand is about 56 meters. If you add that entry plaza and stair tower there's another 12-14 meters there. From the edge of the pitch to the curb of Wheatfield St. at Tynecastle is about 67 meters. Obviously you'd need some room for pavement and such but there's some leeway there.

Edited by Led Tasso

davemclaren
15 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

The footprint of Elland Road's east stand, which holds 14,900 spectators plus corporate facilities, would be a few feet shy of fitting on the extra land behind the Wheatfield. (I don't know if that number includes the corner wings, but that's 1-2k seats at best.) It's not particularly steep. It originally fit 17,000 spectators but some of of those seats were taken to make room for the corporate boxes.

This wouldn't be an addition to the Wheatfield, it would be a full demolition and replacement. At least as I'm imagining it.

EDIT: I should clarify that Elland Road's east stand would fit without the entry hall and I presume stair and elevator tower that hangs off the back of it. But the footprint of the seating area would fully fit. From the edge of the pitch to the back of the footprint of the seating structure, absent the cantilevers that hang off the back, the Leeds stand is about 56 meters. If you add that entry plaza and stair tower there's another 12-14 meters there. From the edge of the pitch to the curb of Wheatfield St. at Tynecastle is about 67 meters. Obviously you'd need some room for pavement and such but there's some leeway there.

I'm no town planner but I would think a structure of that height will have a few planning permission challenges. The folks living in the nearby flats 'underlooking' it will likely have some concerns. 

Watt-Zeefuik
8 hours ago, Sooks said:

I'm guessing based only on projecting from what other clubs have paid recently and what we've heard about costs in Edinburgh before, it's about a £40m project overall, including land acquisition, demo, and payments to NBD to relocate the ethanol. I think borrowing £20m against 10 years of additional season ticket sales (this assumes our season ticket sales will go up by 4k once the stand is complete, based on the waiting list) would be responsible because that would effectively hold the extant playing budget harmless for 10 years then increase it after that, provided our support remains steady. Any additional season ticket or match ticket sales would be an increase in our budget even before then. I'd hope we could get a £10m injection from a combination of FoH and a 500 club (or 1000 club?) type approach. That would probably mean going hat in hand to Mr. Anderson for £10m, but hopefully he'd see the ambition in it and back it.

Watt-Zeefuik

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I'm no town planner but I would think a structure of that height will have a few planning permission challenges. The folks living in the nearby flats 'underlooking' it will likely have some concerns. 

I do happen to have a degree in planning :lol: and although I'm not a practicing planner, much less a UK-based planner, it's more hopeful than you might imagine. Most daylight of course comes from the east, south, and west. I don't know what the standards are for planning approval but if you look at where the corner is, there's 1-2 residences on Wheatfield that would have any part of the structure that wasn't to the north. Most of the shadows from the big structure would fall on the community pitch and the back corner of NBD warehouses.

image.png.9610747741277f7dfc74fbbf279c7c4b.png

I've tried reading the Edinburgh Council's manual on impact on existing buildings (https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/file/27602/edinburgh-design-guidance-january-2020 page 83) and while I don't fully understand the "vertical sky component" calculation that they seem to base impacts on, at the very least the most impacted units would be the ones on the corner. It might be that that south side of the stand would have to be pared down the same way the Gorgie is, but I would think most of the stand wouldn't have much impact on the residences.

davemclaren
2 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

I do happen to have a degree in planning :lol: and although I'm not a practicing planner, much less a UK-based planner, it's more hopeful than you might imagine. Most daylight of course comes from the east, south, and west. I don't know what the standards are for planning approval but if you look at where the corner is, there's 1-2 residences on Wheatfield that would have any part of the structure that wasn't to the north. Most of the shadows from the big structure would fall on the community pitch and the back corner of NBD warehouses.

image.png.9610747741277f7dfc74fbbf279c7c4b.png

I've tried reading the Edinburgh Council's manual on impact on existing buildings (https://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/downloads/file/27602/edinburgh-design-guidance-january-2020 page 83) and while I don't fully understand the "vertical sky component" calculation that they seem to base impacts on, at the very least the most impacted units would be the ones on the corner. It might be that that south side of the stand would have to be pared down the same way the Gorgie is, but I would think most of the stand wouldn't have much impact on the residences.

Fair enough.  I bow to your knowledge. 😎