** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal

Sertse

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

I wish he would try and play more forward passes and stop having chats with oppostion player and patting them on the back and generally getting up the nose of refs.

He has a great workrate and plays with a smile on his face which is nice to see but he still has a lot to learn.

He doesn't do those things when he has the ball.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

I would be more interested in what plans we have to replace him and who that is likely to be and when. We need players in asap.

That was a good result last night and even taking into account it was the first game back after the shutdown we were less than convincing.

Not taking anything away from the two great well worked goals but some of ourt play against the bottom club left a lot to be desired.

Had we been playing anyone else in the league we would have struggled to get a win.

Ach it's all relative.  We did what we had to and move on.

No Boyce, no Woodburn, no Beni, Natty still to integrate and Halkett obviously playing through pain.

Not saying I don't want us to sign anyone, but we're doing what needs done week by week with the current squad even with players missing.  That's a great trait.  When the 4 mentioned above are back and/or ready, we're a lot stronger, signings or no signings.

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think GMS might enjoy a spell further wide also, especially in a game like last night when we need to stretch teams. I think if we get one striker in that’s good at converting crosses we will be flying. 

I think GMS is done to be honest. His biggest assets throughout his career were skills and pace. He hasn’t shown much of either for us. He still has an eye for goal, but out wide he’s useless in my opinion.

SomethingAboutObua

Doesn't Paterson have a problem with Hearts/Neilson? In his interview with Wednesday he never mentions Hearts, says he's a Livi fan and his favourite goals are his engagement and wedding or something when he's at Cardiff/Sheffield.

Don't think he's coming back to us at all

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Ah Barry Bannan and Calum Paterson, of course they get brought up every window. Bannan will never happen under current policy, and I think people need to look at how Paterson has played in recent seasons rather than how he was with us or initially with Cardiff. He would be expensive and not really good in my opinion.

Paterson would be great for us 

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I think GMS is done to be honest. His biggest assets throughout his career were skills and pace. He hasn’t shown much of either for us. He still has an eye for goal, but out wide he’s useless in my opinion.

I don’t think playing as a 10 is helping him but he’s been poor recently.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

GMS should be out wide, or benched, not his game playing deeper or through the middle.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, gorgieheart said:

GMS should be out wide, or benched, not his game playing deeper or through the middle.

Looks that way, not that we were awash with options last night right enough. 

13 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

What I find a bit funny about him is the lack of tricks.  For me, he made a career out of audacious skill - was famous for it.  No seen him really try as much as a step over, never mind rainbows and all that jazz.  Wonder why?! Too old and wise?

14 minutes ago, Homme said:

He doesn't do those things when he has the ball.

I know that's what frustrates me about him. Sideways and backwards most of the time. He ha d a couple of forward breaks in the second half and I am sure Robbie must have had a word with him at half time as he played further forward. 

3 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Doesn't Paterson have a problem with Hearts/Neilson? In his interview with Wednesday he never mentions Hearts, says he's a Livi fan and his favourite goals are his engagement and wedding or something when he's at Cardiff/Sheffield.

Don't think he's coming back to us at all

I probably wouldn't want him back either tbf. 

We don't need an big, bulky (and expensive) striker who scores 6 or 7 a season and I'm not sure the attacking RB we had exists anymore given how long it's been since he played there and how much bulk he's put on. 

16 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ach it's all relative.  We did what we had to and move on.

No Boyce, no Woodburn, no Beni, Natty still to integrate and Halkett obviously playing through pain.

Not saying I don't want us to sign anyone, but we're doing what needs done week by week with the current squad even with players missing.  That's a great trait.  When the 4 mentioned above are back and/or ready, we're a lot stronger, signings or no signings.

Boyce obviously has an issue as does Halkett both of them have been out before this season with similar injuries I think Beni is a big miss but when will he be fit to return? He has been out for quite a long time now and what is up with Woodburn? Is he away back to Liverpool or does he have an injury or Covid?

I know or certainly hope JS and Robbie are trying hard to get a few players in to help us maintain our current league position which will be difficult to do. We have a run of tough games coming up and we need a big improvement on last night to keep the run going.

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Paterson would be a mistake I feel.

agree. I really like him but I we need to stop wanting signings due to nostalgic feelings

Just now, Cruyff said:

Paterson isn't a striker in a million years.

Yeah, he was always poor there for us I thought, despite chipping in with goals. No back-to-goal game and technically not good enough.

I think his potential's really been stymied by Cardiff/Sheff Wed ****ing about with his position.

46 minutes ago, OTT said:

If we swapped Gnando for Paterson, that we’d need to go ahead and get Savage a bloody statue. 

Unless Paterson is choking to get home, I’d be surprised to see this happen tbh. Although would love to see it. 

And willing to take a huge pay cut.

I think a lot of people would be shocked if they saw Paterson playing now. He's nowhere near the player he was when he left

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Paterson isn't a striker in a million years.

Agreed and I cant see us signing Natty and then Paterson in any case.   Think the club are very clear in their plans…just desperate to get a couple of strikers in ASAP though.  

6 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

All about pace and energy with signings these days, with at least some potential for sell on value. Doesn’t fit with the way we want to play. 

Absolute Scenes
2 hours ago, AndyNic said:

He could have scored a couple tbf.

as could every striker who plays against us. That's why you have goalkeepers

28 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Paterson would be great for us 

Paterson of 4/5 years ago, maybe. Paterson now? Nope, not for me. He’s plateaued. Plus, although 27 is not a ripe old age, he’d offer nothing in sell on value and his wage demands in my opinion would be way too high for what we’d end up getting. There’s a reason he’s playing in League One and nowhere near a Scotland squad, even when it was struggling for right wing backs and forwards.

31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Thing is he’s better as a 10 than out wide, as he can play short one twos and as I say has an eye for goal. But even as a 10 he’s not that good. He’s just… not very good, really.

26 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

What I find a bit funny about him is the lack of tricks.  For me, he made a career out of audacious skill - was famous for it.  No seen him really try as much as a step over, never mind rainbows and all that jazz.  Wonder why?! Too old and wise?

Yup. Reminds me a little of when we got McCann back for his second spell. I was excited as I remember what he had done for us before, but when he came back I could see Takis Fysass not trust passing the ball to him and that he had lost his pace and no skills. It was a shame. As it is with GMS. But he’s offering very little, so if another team want him, I say let him go.

Just now, Chimp said:

When does McKay's contract expire? Was it a 2 year deal he signed last summer?

Summer 2023. Basically we could be back in the Souttar situation this time next year unless something is signed.

27 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Boyce obviously has an issue as does Halkett both of them have been out before this season with similar injuries I think Beni is a big miss but when will he be fit to return? He has been out for quite a long time now and what is up with Woodburn? Is he away back to Liverpool or does he have an injury or Covid?

I know or certainly hope JS and Robbie are trying hard to get a few players in to help us maintain our current league position which will be difficult to do. We have a run of tough games coming up and we need a big improvement on last night to keep the run going.

I am in no way suggesting we do this as a plan...

but I don't see anyone mounting a huge challenge.  Perhaps Aberdeen get their shit together, but only perhaps.  We'd need to drop off a cliff to lose third.  Even next week, Aberdeen away at St Mirren and Hibs away at Motherwell.  Dropped points very likely for most if not all our chasers.

By which point we've played 5 of our 6 pre-split OF fixtures too, something I'm always mindful of, if you kind of write the points off for each team who play them (so Aberdeen got a bonus point last night, we already have 4 etc...)

So the way I'm seeing it is status quo is just fine.  And if we sign some great players it's a huge bonus!!!!!!  Perhaps that's just my coping mechanism in a transfer window, of course!!!

9 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Thing is he’s better as a 10 than out wide, as he can play short one twos and as I say has an eye for goal. But even as a 10 he’s not that good. He’s just… not very good, really.

Yup. Reminds me a little of when we got McCann back for his second spell. I was excited as I remember what he had done for us before, but when he came back I could see Takis Fysass not trust passing the ball to him and that he had lost his pace and no skills. It was a shame. As it is with GMS. But he’s offering very little, so if another team want him, I say let him go.

mccann looked good when he 1st came back until he got crocked away to Kilmarnock. when he came back from that he had lost his pace and looked more comfortable centrally 

34 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

I agree JK123, Massive mistake, no chance he could play in this team. This style of play requires a high degree of technical ability with players able to receive and keep the ball in tight areas, CP can’t!

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Summer 2023. Basically we could be back in the Souttar situation this time next year unless something is signed.

Need to make a new contract a priority then. The more games he plays this season the more interest there's going to be. Already there's been talk of a Scotland recall, and if that happens it becomes a lot more difficult to hold on to him. Need it done pronto!

Whether he'll want to sign on again with us is another matter though, probably only has 1 more chance of a big move ahead of him seeing that he's 27

2 minutes ago, Gav M said:

mccann looked good when he 1st came back until he got crocked away to Kilmarnock. when he came back from that he had lost his pace and looked more comfortable centrally 

Remember a guy near me in the wheatfield screaming at him "you've only played one good game for us in your life"

1 minute ago, john thomas said:

Remember a guy near me in the wheatfield screaming at him "you've only played one good game for us in your life"

you really have to question some peoples sanity at times

3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I am in no way suggesting we do this as a plan...

but I don't see anyone mounting a huge challenge.  Perhaps Aberdeen get their shit together, but only perhaps.  We'd need to drop off a cliff to lose third.  Even next week, Aberdeen away at St Mirren and Hibs away at Motherwell.  Dropped points very likely for most if not all our chasers.

By which point we've played 5 of our 6 pre-split OF fixtures too, something I'm always mindful of, if you kind of write the points off for each team who play them (so Aberdeen got a bonus point last night, we already have 4 etc...)

So the way I'm seeing it is status quo is just fine.  And if we sign some great players it's a huge bonus!!!!!!  Perhaps that's just my coping mechanism in a transfer window, of course!!!

We will have a better idea after our next four games as to if we are cemented into third place in the league.

Celtic

Motherwell

Hibs 

Rangers

Potential 12 points and we will be doing well to get 6 from those I think with our current group of players.

We will have a better idea after our next four games as to if we are cemented into third place in the league.

Celtic

Motherwell

Hibs 

Rangers

Potential 12 points and we will be doing well to get 6 from those I think with our current group of players.

DWWD.  Done!

In all honesty, we only really need to take 3 points - three draws then a loss, and we'll be doing just OK as far as staying ahead of the pack.  it won't feel like a good run, but it'd be us got through somewhat unscathed in truth.  If Well and Hibs want to catch us, they need to beat us.

Just now, wavydavy said:

Celtic

Motherwell

Hibs 

Rangers

I can't imagine we will be signing anyone in the next week or so to make it much easier.

8 points would be great but the main thing imo is to win the middle two

The Apprentice
39 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

I think a lot of people would be shocked if they saw Paterson playing now. He's nowhere near the player he was when he left

I watched him against Hartlepool in the Papa Johns a few weeks ago and he was woeful. He started as the right of a back 3 and moved forward later on in the game but wasn't any better.  Doesn't look anywhere near as mobile and athletic as I remember him.

5 minutes ago, The Apprentice said:

I watched him against Hartlepool in the Papa Johns a few weeks ago and he was woeful. He started as the right of a back 3 and moved forward later on in the game but wasn't any better.  Doesn't look anywhere near as mobile and athletic as I remember him.

His most recent Scotland appearances were really poor and obvious he had bulked up too much

A_A wehatethehibs

Calum Paterson 2 goals in 21 as a League 1 Center forward this season at one of the biggest clubs in the division

I think if he’s looking to get back on track he’d have a great chance of getting a deal at his boyhood heroes. Livingston. 

A_A wehatethehibs

To be fair to Paterson though it does seem the fans there do like him he’s found a niche as a grafter / utility man type. Maybe a future Michael Smith they’ve got the same hair even though smiths 10 years older 

kingantti1874

Some players just fit at certain clubs, Paterson I think is disallusioned at SWFC.. I watched him a few times for Cardiff and he was absolutely the enthusiastic physical monster we know..

I think one thing we miss is a bit of a physical presence.. 

id be over the moon if CP came back here

1 minute ago, jamboinglasgow said:

so no new news or rumours on the incoming side of transfers? 

Just the constantly repeating Patterson debate.

anyone seen Lafferty  🙂

10 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Wouldn’t be a window without it. People constantly throwing out players names as they’ve played for Hearts, or Scotland, or against us. Our recruitment team is working day and night searching the god damn globe for quality. We can, and will, do a lot better than Paterson. I’m sure of it.

Leveins Battalion

Many irons in the fire,these things take time.We have a 3 prong attack on signing new players as when Will Lancefield and George Brown are identifying players they then have to put them to Robbie,Robbie has to sell the club,sell his style of play.

We are looking at a higher quality of player like the Mackays and Kingsley of this world,not easy to bring in.

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The whole purpose of a forums is for idle chit chat.. 

if it’s cold hard fact you are looking for a football forums isn’t the best choice

They say Andrew McKinlay nearly passed out when he seen how much we had offered Souttar to extend his deal. I would be quite happy for us to offer Barrie McKay a similar amount and tie him down to a long term contract. I believe he is that important to us and is miles ahead of the other wingers/number 10's we have in our squad.

What’s happened with Beni?  Injured since December for a couple of weeks. Robbie did say clubs were interested in him. The fact we couldn’t even list him on the bench last night

Edited by Newton51

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

They say Andrew McKinlay nearly passed out when he seen how much we had offered Souttar to extend his deal. I would be quite happy for us to offer Barrie McKay a similar amount and tie him down to a long term contract. I believe he is that important to us and is miles ahead of the other wingers/number 10's we have in our squad.

agreed. Need to tie down our top players and Barrie McKay is a top player

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal