** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal

Sertse

If can't find the right players (permanent signings) then hopefully we have a couple of last minute loan players up our sleave.

I can't see us agreeing to sell Souttar now unless we have already identified a suitable replacement - not always possible in this window.

With £3,000,000 up for grabs for third place I think Hearts will stick to their word and keep him.  I can't see Rangers (who are skint) stumping up enough cash.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

19 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Several of our summer signings came out of nowhere with barely any media coverage before they were announced

Benefits of Savage running a tight ship with much fewer leaks

Yes, but not one signing came out of completely nothing. I think McEneff last January was only reported the same day he was announced. But last summer we’d have media reports from Australia about Devlin days before, a Liverpool based publication had an article about Baningime two days before it happened. McKay was reported weeks before as a target. So, although the ship is tight on our end, there’s usually a leak on the other end. Which will undoubtedly happen again, but with today being Thursday all we’re saying is it’s looking very unlikely that anything will happen this week.

The Wrinkly Ninja
1 hour ago, tazhearts said:

Cheers Taz.

I agree. Seems like exactly the kind of player we appear to be looking at.

I am sure we will be looking / interested in lots of players like this that we will never get to hear about.

We are looking to operate in a market now where there is likely to be competition from clubs down south with bigger budgets. We will get some. We will miss out on many more.

I can’t remember a time where I have had as much confidence in the recruitment of players.

1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

IMO we need better finishers.

Gino took his goals well the other night - hopefully that’s a springboard for him. 

Boyce has done brilliant for us since he signed but at times his finishing is abysmal. 

Woodburn looks like he’s got it in him but it’s whether he can get his head/attitude right. 

GMS has scored a couple but he’s never been ruthless in front of goal. 

McKay again has never been a consistent scorer and not scoring for us yet isn’t good enough. 

Then in midfield - Beni and Devlin look like 5 goals in their career type players. 

Haring isn’t making the late runs he did when he first joined. He’s good in the air but not in the box enough. 

Our ‘wing backs’ gave a couple and can’t really criticise them - hopefully Atkinson can score a few.

Centre half’s all apart from Moore on the score sheet this season so they are fine. 

However, to paraphrase the song - we need forwards who can score. 

McKay has been unlucky not to score and once he does he'll kick on. Can hardly complain about him though with the amount of chances he creates.

Been thinking the exact same about Haring, he was brilliant in the box in his first season. Always a threat and constantly getting himself in the danger area. Where has that side of his game gone? So frustrating as I reckon he could be worth about 10 goals a season

20 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I think your final point is a bit of burying your head in the sand IMO (not having a go btw).

Yes I think McKay will be disappointed he hasn’t scored - Robbie has also said he needs to start scoring. I didn’t mean to single him out though, I mentioned the other forwards in my original post and other than Boyce (bulked up by pens it must be noted) none of them have scored enough. 

Hopefully as our style of play develops and players get used to it they all start scoring more but my original point stands - we need proper finishers. 

Na, it's not really (well I don't think!!).  It's relevant.  We're doing better than every single team below us.

Mind you, I do get stand still and be overtaken, so not saying we don't need to improve personnell, better returns from current crop, plus generally working on our attacking to get more chances.

I don't see us giving up loads of chances.  We obv miss them, but no more than others really.  I'd like us to make more chances is my thoughts.  Can't say it enough, we need more people in more dangerous positions more often.

It’s a catch 22. If you go for players like Hibs have they don’t have lots of opportunities or are journeymen who are used to jumping about it’s easy to get over the line.

Hearts have set the bar higher in who we are going to attach so they have or know they will get other offers, their agent isn’t in a rush to get it over the line.

We need to trust the process

1 hour ago, Absolute Scenes said:

with all due respect, absolute nonsense. McKay has delivered exactly what he was signed for - creativity. He was not signed as a goalscorer and you've contradicted yourself by saying he's never been consistent goalscorer, but him not scoring yet isn't good enough????  

Devlin and Beni were not signed for their goals, strange point to make. 

Having said that, i agree we need a finisher to be signed. 

Well said 👍🏽

jamboinglasgow
39 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Several of our summer signings came out of nowhere with barely any media coverage before they were announced

Benefits of Savage running a tight ship with much fewer leaks

Thats true but there was usually a story  in the local media for the player which said we are after them in the few days before the signing. That's why I think there is nothing this week.

I not worried as I think we will make a few signings towards the end of the window

11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thats true but there was usually a story  in the local media for the player which said we are after them in the few days before the signing. That's why I think there is nothing this week.

I not worried as I think we will make a few signings towards the end of the window

What's your thoughts if we don't mate?

Said it a few times, I want us to sign a player or two, especially a CF, but if we don't I'm not shitting it.  Our squad is small but every single player is good (other than Halliday and even he has plugged a gap here and there).  I think we have enough, with Natty added, to nail 3rd.  Adding 2 more quality players would help and push us further, perhaps increase chance in cup.

I'd rather go with what we have than bring in a punt, basically.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Agree with this, would be a huge bonus if those playing off the front (our wingers, or 10s) would start chipping in more.  Boycie can score, don't worry about that, done it his whole career, the only part of the team that's really lacked goals is our supporting attack isn't it.

McKay especially, hard to criticise because he bring so many other attributes.  I'd like to see these guys get in the box more.  Even on Tuesday, McKay was amazing but all his work was deep (which is fine), but it does mean we often really only have 1 or 2 in the box.  We need to work a system which allows more players in there as targets - more running beyond.  Natty will hopefully help this a lot.

Good point about more men in the box, I think the Germans showed last summer, and Chelsea also, that wingbacks need to get in the box for crosses from the other side. Ours do try to do it and have had quite a few shots and a couple of goals. Natty looks like he might be more effective in this aspect. 

Pasquale for King
41 minutes ago, Chimp said:

McKay has been unlucky not to score and once he does he'll kick on. Can hardly complain about him though with the amount of chances he creates.

Been thinking the exact same about Haring, he was brilliant in the box in his first season. Always a threat and constantly getting himself in the danger area. Where has that side of his game gone? So frustrating as I reckon he could be worth about 10 goals a season

He did it away against Dundee Utd  but seems to be the one sitting whilst Devlin gets forward. He managed it a couple of times and could do with getting in there a bit more no doubt about that. 

AlphonseCapone

We've panicked plenty times in the past during windows and look where that got us. I've plenty confidence the club are absolutely working their backsides off this month and if no one is in yet it is because overall, it's the wrong move for the club. 

jamboinglasgow
14 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Said it a few times, I want us to sign a player or two, especially a CF, but if we don't I'm not shitting it.  Our squad is small but every single player is good (other than Halliday and even he has plugged a gap here and there).  I think we have enough, with Natty added, to nail 3rd.  Adding 2 more quality players would help and push us further, perhaps increase chance in cup.

If we finished the window with no new signings, I would be a bit disappointed we did not add any but I would not be worried. We have a squad already capable of finishing the season in third. I haven't seen anything with our rivals signings which I can see them really improving. I do think Natty has been a big signing in that it brings a lot more attacking to the right wing back. I think Smith is fine there. I think Halliday is a good squad player. I also think if we dont get any strikers Henderson will stay which I think he can do well in this team.

As you say, we dont need to sign and bring in risky signings. So it allows us to go after the right players. I think it was the mentality towards the last window, we had a good squad and chased some quality players at right back and striker but they didn't happen and the clubs view is not to then sign almost any right back and striker. Better chasing quality and if you cant get that, wait for the next window.

3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

If we finished the window with no new signings, I would be a bit disappointed we did not add any but I would not be worried. We have a squad already capable of finishing the season in third. I haven't seen anything with our rivals signings which I can see them really improving. I do think Natty has been a big signing in that it brings a lot more attacking to the right wing back. I think Smith is fine there. I think Halliday is a good squad player. I also think if we dont get any strikers Henderson will stay which I think he can do well in this team.

As you say, we dont need to sign and bring in risky signings. So it allows us to go after the right players. I think it was the mentality towards the last window, we had a good squad and chased some quality players at right back and striker but they didn't happen and the clubs view is not to then sign almost any right back and striker. Better chasing quality and if you cant get that, wait for the next window.

Yup, we're on same page I reckon

Other factor which just popped to mind is I wonder if we're basically upping the quality we're looking for, and have a bit more dosh, and also looking a bit further afield at times, if that puts us into a harder market.  Whereas our competition was maybe Hibs, Aberdeen and maybe L1 and even L2 teams down south.  Are we now up against teams who can easily blow us out the water if they chose to cos we're simply going for guys good enough for a higher level?  Hard job, but that's the deal if we want to improve and we've not got a really dedicated professional team working on it, with a plan.  Was just a thought more than a concern.

Without doubt we're being more thorough now in identifying potential signings, and probably (as you say) aiming a bit "higher"  than we did before Joe came on board.    The downside of that is as you describe - with good players waiting till late in the window to commit to Hearts if nothing better has materialised.

I've  wondered for a wee while   if  the transfer gossip/rumour  stuff we see in the papers and websites  adds to the difficulty we face too.   Even if a lot of it turns out to be bollox, agents & players may stall on committing to Hearts when they see/hear about  a teammate being "Celtic-linked" or a  "Rangers target"  - or similarly rumoured to be attracting decent English clubs.     Agents especially, because they'll have a stronger feel for what clubs are looking for.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, tazhearts said:

If can't find the right players (permanent signings) then hopefully we have a couple of last minute loan players up our sleave.

I can't see us agreeing to sell Souttar now unless we have already identified a suitable replacement - not always possible in this window.

With £3,000,000 up for grabs for third place I think Hearts will stick to their word and keep him.  I can't see Rangers (who are skint) stumping up enough cash.

We have Moore and Smith can also play in there, another loan deal would give us until the summer to find one or two possibly. It does seem that the club believe he’s worth more to us than they’re likely to offer do unless that’s a negotiating tool he’s staying. 

Bazzas right boot

If we can get a better striker in than we already have then we will get him. 

No point in just signing any shite just for numbers. 

It's not signing anyone that is important, it's the signing of good or better players that is important and that may be difficult in January. 

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It's not signing anyone that is important, it's the signing of good or better players that is important and that may be difficult in January. 

I really think with JS those days are a thing of the past.

26 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Once he is playing and up to speed we can use Smith more sparingly and he can play in a midfield role or CB if needed

I think Halliday is not the standard we want going forward. The lad has done a job for us  inn getting us back into the top league but I would be surprsied if we offer him another deal.

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I really think with JS those days are a thing of the past.

Yip, but folk screaming for striker need to take that into consideration, if we can't get who we want we'll go with what we've got. 

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip, but folk screaming for striker need to take that into consideration, if we can't get who we want we'll go with what we've got. 

If that is the case, I just hope that Henderson is now good enough to get a decent try in his favoured position. I’m in no position to judge if he’s improved enough but would be great to see someone coming through the ranks. 

35 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We have Moore and Smith can also play in there, another loan deal would give us until the summer to find one or two possibly. It does seem that the club believe he’s worth more to us than they’re likely to offer do unless that’s a negotiating tool he’s staying. 

Think it is a fine balance . Imo Souttar is better than Moore or Smith , not criticising either . 

But , yes , if we can bring in cover and get a decent settlement then Souttar may well be off .

Maybe this week ?

7 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Sorry, but if we get to February without adding at least one attacking player, then it is a failure bythe recruitment department. No other way to look at it.

I've no doubt it's a difficult job and I don't want to sign shite for the sake of numbers.

But it's they're job to recruit players we need and a job being difficult isn't a reason to not do it. They've had months to identify targets and the entire of January to get someone in.

If theyget no one or do get 1 in and he's shite, then Savage and Co have failed.

I think they have done a good job by and large but people are becoming apologists for them quite frankly 

We need a striker and it's Savages job to deliver that.

Just now, davie1980 said:

Sorry, but if we get to February without adding at least one attacking player, then it is a failure bythe recruitment department. No other way to look at it.

I've no doubt it's a difficult job and I don't want to sign shite for the sake of numbers.

But it's they're job to recruit players we need and a job being difficult isn't a reason to not do it. They've had months to identify targets and the entire of January to get someone in.

If theyget no one or do get 1 in and he's shite, then Savage and Co have failed.

I think they have done a good job by and large but people are becoming apologists for them quite frankly 

Spot on

3 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

At least one if not two. 

2 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

You are spot on apart from the people ‘becoming apologists for them’ they have earned the right to be judged once the window closes, not at this moment. So no one is apologists for them at this moment, but as you say, they have to deliver a striker, there has to be a plan A,B,C etc and they have to be realistic  

5 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

This

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, davie1980 said:

Nonsense. 

It will only  be a failure of we don't finish third and we won't know that until the end of the season. 

If we sign no one and finish 3rd it's not failure. 

We need a striker that is better than what we have, if we can't get that in January we wait. 

It's that simple 

His job is to identity players to Improve the team, ironically the better we do the harder that is and in January teams won't let good strikers go easily or cheaply. 

3 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

You are spot on apart from the people ‘becoming apologists for them’ they have earned the right to be judged once the window closes, not at this moment. So no one is apologists for them at this moment, but as you say, they have to deliver a striker, there has to be a plan A,B,C etc and they have to be realistic  

The post I just quoted apoligised for him pre-emptively and told us to pipe down if we don't get what we want.

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Once he is playing and up to speed we can use Smith more sparingly and he can play in a midfield role or CB if needed

I think Halliday is not the standard we want going forward. The lad has done a job for us  inn getting us back into the top league but I would be surprsied if we offer him another deal.

I wouldn't keep Haliday past the summer, but at the moment he fills the role which we need due to a small squad. I think he will be off to Livingston or a similar bottom end Premiership team next season.

8 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

So if we sign Joker Cummings then it's not a failure, but if we don't find anyone worthwhile and make no signings it's a failure?

Don't be so daft.  Failure and success is not a binary system

4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nonsense. 

It will only  be a failure of we don't finish third and we won't know that until the end of the season. 

If we sign no one and finish 3rd it's not failure. 

We need a striker that is better than what we have, if we can't get that in January we wait. 

It's that simple 

His job is to identity players to Improve the team, ironically the better we do the harder that is and in January teams won't let good strikers go easily or cheaply. 

"I asked for a pie and the guy in the pie stall gave me a bridie"

"But we won 3-0 today, what are you moaning about?"

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, davie1980 said:

"I asked for a pie and the guy in the pie stall gave me a bridie"

"But we won 3-0 today, what are you moaning about?"

Nah. 

I want a striker, a forward and a defender. 

But if we can't get who we want then we wait. 

That's not failure. It's sensible. 

27 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Looking forward to seeing Atkinson, but Smith has been very good in his last few games so will be difficult to justify taking him out of the team at any point. I'd maybe move him into RCB, Souttar CB, Kingsley LCB and Cochrane LB if Halkett is going to be out after going off injured on Tuesday. 

Agree about Halliday too. He's done the job we wanted him for so reckon he'll maybe be away back to Livi. 

section s heart
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good point about more men in the box, I think the Germans showed last summer, and Chelsea also, that wingbacks need to get in the box for crosses from the other side. Ours do try to do it and have had quite a few shots and a couple of goals. Natty looks like he might be more effective in this aspect. 

Agree we don't seem to have enough players in the box at key moments. Also many of our crosses come from around the 18 yard line which makes them easier to defend. Ideally we find a way of getting wide men or runners to the line so that they can play more dangerous balls/ cut backs. Allows attacking players to gamble and probably an opportunity for BM to get amongst the goals. Michael Smith is actually doing a good job with some of his underlapping (usually first half at home) and gets to the line more than most. 

21 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It not just better, If we sign anyone they also need to be super fit and pass the medical assement. We are uping the gear in terms of fitness. I'm noticing  how long its taking to get players back up to speed even with minor knocks these day. If your off the pace its a hard slog to get it back. Thats the modern game. You can have all the skill in the world but if your huffing and puffing your no use to anyone. It limits the choice to a certain type of good living player that cost more bucks to sign. It's a tough gig for Savage but hopefully he can pull a rabbit out the hat. As you said January is difficult mostly because quality players are still in contract and your dealing with clubs and the player therefore as time drags on we may have to make do with a good loan player to see the season out.

15 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Absolutely, we've been saying we need a striker since last season. Gnanduillet was absolutely pish and we've not had another, this window is their time to shine. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, section s heart said:

Agree we don't seem to have enough players in the box at key moments. Also many of our crosses come from around the 18 yard line which makes them easier to defend. Ideally we find a way of getting wide men or runners to the line so that they can play more dangerous balls/ cut backs. Allows attacking players to gamble and probably an opportunity for BM to get amongst the goals. Michael Smith is actually doing a good job with some of his underlapping (usually first half at home) and gets to the line more than most. 

Yeah he had a great first half on Tuesday, it’s just that his crossing and shooting isn’t the best. He’s doing everything asked of him by the coaches.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Looking forward to seeing Atkinson, but Smith has been very good in his last few games so will be difficult to justify taking him out of the team at any point. I'd maybe move him into RCB, Souttar CB, Kingsley LCB and Cochrane LB if Halkett is going to be out after going off injured on Tuesday. 

Agree about Halliday too. He's done the job we wanted him for so reckon he'll maybe be away back to Livi. 

As long as we don’t come against a physical striker because couldn’t handle Chris Kane for 15 minutes the other night. 

Unless that punt was a 6-month loan / free-agent signing, in my opinion. I'd agree otherwise though.

Anyway, there're still 11 days left of the window after today, so that's plenty of time for players to come in.  🤞

18 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Criticising people for something they haven’t done yet. 

This should be the official JKB tagline. 

Don’t want to be sitting here at the end of the season having blown 3rd and bemoaning this whole transfer situation. It’s there for the taking but not with Boyce and a mixture of wood burn and ginelly at centre forward occasionally 

42 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

His predecessor would have just signed someone for the sake of it on a four year deal.

Much better to wait until we get someone we want that fits our style. It will be disappointing for all of us if we don't get someone in but I agree with your thoughts.

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Think it is a fine balance . Imo Souttar is better than Moore or Smith , not criticising either . 

But , yes , if we can bring in cover and get a decent settlement then Souttar may well be off .

Maybe this week ?

Let’s hope so as the acrimony is only going to get worse. 

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

As long as we don’t come against a physical striker because couldn’t handle Chris Kane for 15 minutes the other night. 

Could do worse. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal