Climate Change. Too Late???

maroonlegions

9 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Absolutely fine, why do people fly thousands of miles pay thousands of pounds for a holiday and snooze all day in the sun? Will the BBC now ban the summer Holiday show? 

Buy a fan, open a window, open a door, buy an ice cream, have several iced cold drinks hydrate more put a t-shirt on and a hanky on your head, have a water 💦 pistol 🔫 competition, go for a swim in the sea 

Summer in the UK only lasts a few months enjoy 

I love the sun and a holiday, I'm with you on that most of the time, but this was different. Near 40 degrees isn't an enjoyable thing imo, especially when the temperature doesn't dip below low to mid 20s overnight. On holiday there are pools, siestas and air conditioning. 

If it was like that all summer we'd adapt, but it's not. It's now low 20s again 😂

I still went for a walk, a run and a lunchtime bask but literally all the warning signs are there that we're experiencing a warming of the planet to levels seen before, and when that's happened it's generally not been a good thing for life on earth.

Edited by Taffin

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray Gin

• ri Alban

• Irufushi

• OBE

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Absolutely fine, why do people fly thousands of miles pay thousands of pounds for a holiday and snooze all day in the sun? Will the BBC now ban the summer Holiday show? 

Buy a fan, open a window, open a door, buy an ice cream, have several iced cold drinks hydrate more put a t-shirt on and a hanky on your head, have a water 💦 pistol 🔫 competition, go for a swim in the sea 

Summer in the UK only lasts a few months enjoy 

I don't think anybody is concerned about it hitting 30 a couple of days a year in Scotland. :lol: 

What they are concerned about is the southern UK consistently hitting the high 30s, now even low 40s, rivers running dry, farmers having no water for crops, massive fires breaking out and rail networks failing.

On 19/07/2022 at 08:20, Cade said:

FX-rT0JWAAwuIFj?format=jpg&name=900x900 :vrface:This is the kind of moronic shite we're up against.

13 hours ago, OBE said:

2 days of abnormal temperatures and some folks are loosing their shit, better get some extra bog-roll in...

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

My post was in reference to folks that I had personally encountered here in Southern Scotland, should've been more specific...

Tragic scenes dan saff!

4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

How do they manage all that after Scotland fecks aff? 😐

We sell it to em, and water from Lochend...

Jambo-Jimbo

It's summer and we get hot days in summer, sometimes we even get really hot days in summer, all perfectly normal.

What's not normal is the frequency of these so called 'hot days' and nor is it only restricted to the South of England.

I'm old enough to remember if you wanted good hot/warm sunny weather in the UK, you went to the 'English Riviera' in Cornwall & Devon, now just about anywhere in the entire South of England and you are pretty much guaranteed a good number of hot & sunny weeks, not days but weeks now.

Will it take 40c temperatures in the middle of January before some people wake up, to what is happening.

A_A wehatethehibs

Sure it’s the hottest since records began but not the hottest ever. Not even the hottest in the last mere 100m years. What about the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum? 12,000GT of carbon were released into the atmosphere over a 50,000 year period back then and global temperatures rose by 6 degrees c to levels of 13c higher than todays level.  

To be fair, humans are absolutely flying with our carbon emissions pace, released 1600GT in only 100 years or so.

But there’s under 3000 GT in all remaining proven oil, coal and gas reserves total

globally taking us to max 5k GT carbon emissions burning all of the fossil fuels we can access. That’s not even half of what was released back in the Eocene days.

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's summer and we get hot days in summer, sometimes we even get really hot days in summer, all perfectly normal.

What's not normal is the frequency of these so called 'hot days' and nor is it only restricted to the South of England.

I'm old enough to remember if you wanted good hot/warm sunny weather in the UK, you went to the 'English Riviera' in Cornwall & Devon, now just about anywhere in the entire South of England and you are pretty much guaranteed a good number of hot & sunny weeks, not days but weeks now.

Will it take 40c temperatures in the middle of January before some people wake up, to what is happening.

Yeah I hate getting gloomy about it but you can read nasa scientists explaining it in laymen terms. The more carbon we put into the atmosphere the more it traps heat. The heat then causes freak weather patterns. Storms in some places and fires in others. 
It only needs another 1 degree they reckon for it to seriously affect the food chain, crop production all breaks down. 

Once that happens all bets are off. People go nuts and panic at the slightest thing these days imagine the supermarkets had no food on the shelves never mind big roll. 

Like someone else said we’re not really talking about a week of 30+ in Scotland here. Some parts of the planet are literally on fire. 
No wonder I peev a lot🤪

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Your last paragraph, I don't think even that happening would be enough for all governments and big business to take enough action.

Countries like China, India,  Russia USA amongst others need to get on board or we are p!ssing in the wind. 

all these extreme weather events are contributing to it as well. 

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, Imaman said:

Countries like China, India,  Russia USA amongst others need to get on board or we are p!ssing in the wind. 

That’s how we’re screwed. 
They’d have to wind it all back. Disarm etc.

In this day and age russia are flattening their neighbours raping and murdering them.  
Yoy have people like Bolsinaro who believes that what happens, an apocalypse or whatever is gods will and you let things take their course.
Religion also has a lot to answer for. 

It ain’t happening. 
We don’t really deserve to survive as a species let’s be honest. 
Dumb AF just doesn’t cover it. 

Jambo-Jimbo
32 minutes ago, superjack said:

Your last paragraph, I don't think even that happening would be enough for all governments and big business to take enough action.

Just in the few years, we have seen, Canada having temperatures of almost 50c, and that didn't seem to have changed anything.

Germany had widespread massive floods, and all they seem to be worried about is whether the gas pipeline will get turned on again.

Even a 'Day After Tomorrow' scenario would have some countries more worried about their economy.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Been in my current gaff for 28 years. Bought an uncalibrated thermometer and stuck it in the shade in the back garden. Sun had gone down for 1/2 an hour, I was curious about the outside temp on Mon, it read 34 deg's. 1st time I've seen it at that temp, so hardly a frequent occurrence...🤷

Jambo-Jimbo
2 hours ago, OBE said:

Been in my current gaff for 28 years. Bought an uncalibrated thermometer and stuck it in the shade in the back garden. Sun had gone down for 1/2 an hour, I was curious about the outside temp on Mon, it read 34 deg's. 1st time I've seen it at that temp, so hardly a frequent occurrence...🤷

Are you in the South of England?

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Are you in the South of England?

No.

Not restricted to South England, I assumed you meant up here, sorry...

Jambo-Jimbo
8 minutes ago, OBE said:

No.

Not restricted to South England, I assumed you meant up here, sorry...

Should have made it clear that what I meant was as far as the midlands, certainly not Scotland.

The high 20's & low 30's are rapidly becoming the norm down there in the South of England every summer now.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Yeah I hate getting gloomy about it but you can read nasa scientists explaining it in laymen terms. The more carbon we put into the atmosphere the more it traps heat. The heat then causes freak weather patterns. Storms in some places and fires in others. 
It only needs another 1 degree they reckon for it to seriously affect the food chain, crop production all breaks down. 

Once that happens all bets are off. People go nuts and panic at the slightest thing these days imagine the supermarkets had no food on the shelves never mind big roll. 

Like someone else said we’re not really talking about a week of 30+ in Scotland here. Some parts of the planet are literally on fire. 
No wonder I peev a lot🤪

Spot on.

Your last sentence I fully endorse.🍺🍷👍

4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Sure it’s the hottest since records began but not the hottest ever. Not even the hottest in the last mere 100m years. What about the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum? 12,000GT of carbon were released into the atmosphere over a 50,000 year period back then and global temperatures rose by 6 degrees c to levels of 13c higher than todays level.  

To be fair, humans are absolutely flying with our carbon emissions pace, released 1600GT in only 100 years or so.

But there’s under 3000 GT in all remaining proven oil, coal and gas reserves total

globally taking us to max 5k GT carbon emissions burning all of the fossil fuels we can access. That’s not even half of what was released back in the Eocene days.

Trend in temperatures going one way

Harry Potter
13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Should have made it clear that what I meant was as far as the midlands, certainly not Scotland.

The high 20's & low 30's are rapidly becoming the norm down there in the South of England every summer now.

Back to 18 C the morra, 2 days we have had , of decent heat, might sleep the night. 

Jambo-Jimbo
48 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Trend in temperatures going one way

Was fairly stable between 1880 to 1980, but from then it's been a sustained increase in temperatures.

4 hours ago, Imaman said:

Pray more. Might help 🫤

11 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

:vrface: 

If it wasn’t so obvious that current government is filled with utterly useless simpletons, this ruling would be absolutely incredible. 

People need to wake up to what is blindingly obvious and need to start voting in politicians who actually take the climate crisis more seriously than pandering to short-term populism. 

Bindy Badgy

BBC article on the climate change misinformation campaign.

Thirty years ago, a bold plan was cooked up to spread doubt and persuade the public that climate change was not a problem. The little-known meeting - between some of America's biggest industrial players and a PR genius - forged a devastatingly successful strategy that endured for years, and the consequences of which are all around us.

According to a study released this week, Big Oil have made, globally, around $3billion profit A DAY for the last 50 years.

That's $52 TRILLION in profits.

That's why nothing will change.

They can (and do) buy up politicians by the truckload and lobby anyone they can't outright purchase.

That's what we're up against.

Edited by Cade

Seymour M Hersh

Back in 71 The NY Times and others were screaming warnings about the coming ice age. Fast forward   to 89 and some genius at the UN was warning that entire countries could be wiped off the face of the earth if global warming isn't reversed by 2000. I guess Barrack Obama either ever got the warning or knows it's shite as he's bought two beachfront retirement "compounds". One in New England and one in Hawaii. It seems the elite (as they like to see themselves) are able to do whatever they want. Just look at private jet use by them. Biden's Climate Czar, the idiot John Kerry flies from climate change conference to climate change conference in his private jet and has that utter welt Al Gore ever flown on a commercial flight? 

Oh and for the avoidance of doubt I know the climate is changing, it always has and always will. I also believe there can be massive improvements in the environment, cleaning up the rivers and oceans and reforestation, getting rid of as much plastic as possible, messes that can only be blamed on humanity. 

I started watching Big Oil v The World on iPlayer the other night. Absolutely scandalous what they've gotten away with over the last 40 years.

Francis Albert
On 21/07/2022 at 13:51, Mikey1874 said:

20220721_125027.jpg

TBF those are all things the UK government and parliament can do something about for better or worse. There is F all it can do about climate change unless you think it can influence what China India the USA The EU Russia Brazil etc etc do.

Activists can glue themselves to every road in the UK and it will have no material effect on climate change.

29 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

TBF those are all things the UK government and parliament can do something about for better or worse. There is F all it can do about climate change unless you think it can influence what China India the USA The EU Russia Brazil etc etc do.

Activists can glue themselves to every road in the UK and it will have no material effect on climate change.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do little.

Edmond Burke conservative philosopher.

Edited by Ked

Francis Albert
19 minutes ago, Ked said:

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do little.

I am neither a conservative nor philosopher but am aware that good intentions don't always deliver good. An aggressive UK approach to net zero will not only have little impact on climate change (because it is global in cause and impact) but could even be counterproductive if it trashed the UK economy to the benefit of less scrupulous economies as far as climate change causes are concerned.

Edited by Francis Albert

5 hours ago, Ked said:

Berk more apt . 

5 hours ago, Ked said:

Berk more apt . 

• 2 weeks later...
maroonlegions

Wonder if there will be a shortage of bottled waters in most shops due to England going full speed on their drought announcement.??

Could last until NEXT YEAR??

Would be interesting to know, not enough to go round be enough to sell it to us in the shops??  

Dagger Is Back

Way too late. The horse has well and truly bolted.

Mankind is too greedy, stupid and selfish as we’ve shown by where we are today.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Maybe if the water companies actually fixed the leaking pipes then the 30% of water that is wasted could be put to proper use and the governments stopped granting planning permission on green belt land for flats and concrete developments student flats and out of town shops etc and constructed a few reservoirs 

Countries in much warmer climate don't have water droughts after a few weeks of summer, nothing works in this country anymore and half the working population work's from home and are probably using more water and energy than they ever did

Never mind it will be pishing doon next week, our summer only lasts about 12 weeks of the year, panic over and the doomsdayers can put their sandwich boards away with the End is Nigh messages for another year and go back to school, it's not every year we actually get a warm hot summer they are very few and far between, enjoy it while it lasts, go out for a cold drink, buy an ice cream, dip your feet in the sea, chillax umbrella and welly boots at the ready