Climate Change. Too Late???

maroonlegions

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Who'd have believed that there would have been an overlap in the Venn diagram of the covidiots and Climate Change deniers?

"Experimental drug", you'd laugh but we are really in Don't Look Up territory here.

I'm just surprised no one has posted thoughts from that sage Toby Young to own all the liberal lefty scientists with their degrees and stuff.

With the rest of Europe enduring record heat and deaths. They simply ignore it and say it’s just summer 🤦🏻

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ray Gin

• ri Alban

• Irufushi

• OBE

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

With the rest of Europe enduring record heat and deaths. They simply ignore it and say it’s just summer 🤦🏻

It is summer . 

Shooter McGavin

Kylie Jenner posted a picture on her Instagram, with her and her husband Travis Scott stood beside two private jets with the caption “You wanna take mine or yours?”

and we’re being told to to stop eating meat, re-use jam jars and to rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher 😂

Aye, that’ll off-set billionaires flying everywhere in private jets, and factories in India & China spewing shite into the atmosphere 24/7…

:Aye:

1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

Maybe it's better to just live in ignorance and shut out what's really going on and pretend what is happening all over the world is normal...

5 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Funny you mention supply security as I've been thinking a bit about battery storage since I posted that and this thread has been on the first page. Forget about the battery types and the advances in technology we need to effectively store renewable energy for just now. I was more thinking about if / when we do have the 'battery farms' where will we even put it? I'm not sure if it's viable, but I recall an experiment whereby a processor was submerged in the artic ocean (encased in a pressure vessel that a company I worked for fabricated it). Would it be viable (economically at least) to store any battery farms on the sea bed? The cold temperatures would negatively affect efficiency of the battery, assuming it's conventional battery storage, but having these battery farms on the mainland would take up vast amounts of space. I'm sure smarter people than me have looked in to it of course.

Regarding Nuclear, I have moved more in favour of nuclear in the past couple of years, although I think Hydro could to a similar job as can also be turned on quickly. However, Hydro means creating more dams and possible damage to the eco system. A mix of Hydro and Nuclear would see us through imho.

Absolutely spot on regarding the issues with batteries. They are fine for cars, phones, toys, etc. But they simply do not work on any meaningful scale - the technology isn't there yet. I agree with you about hydroelectric, however the problem there is two-fold: 1) the power only lasts as long as it takes the reservoir to deplete, and 2) those reservoirs take up a large amount of space (unless you are using an existing loch). 

The idea I like that sorts out both of those problems rather neatly is to take 'cheap' or 'free' renewable energy that is generated overnight when we aren't using it and use it to pump water back UP the hill into the reservoir. This changes the kinetic energy imparted by the pump, into potential energy of the water held at height above the turbines. Now what else stores potential energy? Yup, that's right, you've just turned your reservoir into a battery. This isn't a new idea, it's called 'pumped storage' and it's been around for years - Cruachan is one if memory serves. However, we need more of them, much more. 

1 hour ago, Costanza said:

Maybe it's better to just live in ignorance and shut out what's really going on and pretend what is happening all over the world is normal...

No point worrying about it, is there? You sit there and worry about something you can’t do anything about or enjoy this tremendous weather, a rarity in this country but hopefully not for long and soon it will become the norm. 🤞 

12 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I’ll be fine, I said.

I never burn, I said.

Arms and legs are on fire.

:sob:

Sun cream all day when I had to go outside as I burn in minutes, also hat on.  Though I have to say the cycle to and from work was challenging to say the least. 

Jambof3tornado
24 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I’ll be fine, I said.

I never burn, I said.

Watched a young lassie shuffle into A and E earlier,cool packs bandaged on knees and sunburnt tae ****. Walking like a zombie. Stupidity to new levels.

6 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

Just Eat deliveries suspended in some areas in England. 

This is it folks. 

Save your tins and buckle up.

Central European countries especially.

Gather round folks the predictions are coming sooner.

By the way fek the lot ay yeez .

36 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I’ll be fine, I said.

I never burn, I said.

You sound half cooked.

Be tasting ye real sooon

On 17/07/2022 at 09:11, Shooter McGavin said:

I do think it’s too late tbh.

I can recycle jars and cans for the rest of my life, but if theres factories spewing their s**** into the atmosphere 24/7 and millionaires travelling everywhere by private jet,

what’s a few recycled jars and cans really going to do?

That’s the crux of it really, it won’t be common man or governments that make the significant changes needed, it will and has to come from private companies!

Sky for example have an initiative called Sky Zero whereby not only are they reducing their own carbon footprint but also that of their suppliers so no matter if you provide a cleaner in the offices or the satellites that get put on the side of folks houses to work with Sky in future you will need to show a significant reduction of at least 50% of your carbon footprint. It’s not just Sky that are taking this stance but thousands of large companies that are taking this stance meaning that even if individuals don’t consciously change their ways the goods and services that they do consume will become less harmful to the planet.

There are many other ways people can help things though, Mrs Ribble has just completed her dissertation for her masters in environmental science, she was looking at new build homes on former greenfield sites and how long it takes for nature to re-establish. House builders could easily speed things up by instead of having uniform shrubbery all round an estate introduce some diversity, also instead of just offering a pristine lawn they could offer to plant mature trees and shrubbery. Our house is 20 years old and we get tonnes of wildlife while a few streets away where houses are less than 5 years old there’s virtually nothing.

9 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Watched a young lassie shuffle into A and E earlier,cool packs bandaged on knees and sunburnt tae ****. Walking like a zombie. Stupidity to new levels.

I’m not quite in an A and E state. But aye, it was daft not chucking some cream on them yesterday.

Harry Potter
10 hours ago, iantjambo said:

I’ll be fine, I said.

I never burn, I said.

sun tan lotion man.

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

What a shame.

I blame the parents.

11 hours ago, Irufushi said:

No point worrying about it, is there? You sit there and worry about something you can’t do anything about or enjoy this tremendous weather, a rarity in this country but hopefully not for long and soon it will become the norm. 🤞 

You can enjoy the weather (I was more excited about the washing I was able to dry such is the sad sack I am now) but be worried about what these heat waves mean and where this is all heading.

What annoys me are folk banging on about gloomster scientists or 1976 and ignoring what these heatwaves are telling us about potential climate breakdown.

Edited by Costanza

Dennis Reynolds
6 minutes ago, Costanza said:

You can enjoy the weather (I was more excited about the washing I was able to dry such is the sad sack I am now) but be worried about what these heat waves mean and where this is all heading.

What annoys me are folk banging on about gloomster scientists or 1976 and ignoring what these heatwaves are telling us about potential climate breakdown.

My washing was out early doors as well. Dried so quickly. 

I felt so old but I didn't care.

Harry Potter
3 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

I’ll be lathering that on today mate :lol:

put some on my face and ended up in my eye😂, not used to decent weather.

39 minutes ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

My washing was out early doors as well. Dried so quickly. 

I felt so old but I didn't care.

😅

Yeah mine was done by lunchtime and got another load out on the afternoon.

And there are some who say working from home isn't productive.

11 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

The new normal looks class 🤞

The apocalypse is upon us. I went for a walk yesterday through the fields near my house. In mid 30 degrees it felt rather dystopian.

Going out again to train my body for the imminent mad max lifestyle.

skinnybob72

I'm on holibobs in London for a week (always manage to pick the hottest week of the year to be down in the South of England...) and even at 10am it's hotter than a Hibs fan's spoon on giro day. 

Hottest part of England at the same time of day yesterday was 5 degrees lower than today.  It's likely to get to at least 42.  Can you imagine the heat build up and radiation in central London?  Likely to be some health consequences.

Jambo_jim2001
21 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Not normal summer weather here 😂

True mate,,the rain usually just gets a bit warmer😳👍

3 minutes ago, Jambo_jim2001 said:

True mate,,the rain usually just gets a bit warmer😳👍

I hate the heat. It’s 32c here .
Really struggling 

Jambo_jim2001
15 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

I hate the heat. It’s 32c here .
Really struggling 

I used to hate working in it over here,,loved it abroad though different heat a lot dryer ,plus all the workshops had air conditioning 🥶🥶 outside temperature in some off the places 45 degree Celsius was the norm🥵🥵

Edited by Jambo_jim2001

The Tory junta lunatics and the criminally insane right wing press will be blaming Sidiq Khan before the day is out.

XR activists have smashed window at NewsUK in protest at the Sun and the Times portraying the heatwave as a positive thing.

joondalupjambo

Kent on fire.

Kent has 16 Conservative MP's and just one from another party.

Conservatives are in the main climate change deniers.

Kent voted for 16 of them.

16 of them who may yet to vote to change net xero targets and target dates.

What goes round comes round.

Салатные палочки
10 hours ago, Cade said:

FX-rT0JWAAwuIFj?format=jpg&name=900x900 :vrface:This is the kind of moronic shite we're up against.

Scum. Worse than the Sun. 

I wonder how they'll report on the people who watched their houses burn down today. 

Jambo_jim2001
4 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

Scum. Worse than the Sun. 

I wonder how they'll report on the people who watched their houses burn down today. 

Can imagine the photos thoughimages.jpeg.518997012f02046662217fb7e8b87cc6.jpegone for us Scots too

celebrity-pictures-mel-gibson-braveheart-roasting-marshmallows.jpg

jack D and coke
11 hours ago, Cade said:

FX-rT0JWAAwuIFj?format=jpg&name=900x900 :vrface:This is the kind of moronic shite we're up against.

The drivel inside ain’t much better :lol: 

That paper man. 

261A702B-3FDB-482B-BC77-99E5B02D54B1.jpeg

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Cade said:

XR activists have smashed window at NewsUK in protest at the Sun and the Times portraying the heatwave as a positive thing.

Might stop people  jumping on planes to go to the likes of Turkey, Greece, Egypt, Tunisia, Spain, Italy, Portugal, and Tenerife.

All roads lead to Gorgie
On 18/07/2022 at 16:41, Salad Fingers said:

Just Eat deliveries suspended in some areas in England. 

This is it folks. 

At least the pavements will be safer.

Railway rails hitting 65 degrees. 

Every kilometre of rail has expanded by 30cm, causing warping, points failures and the cancellation of some trains.

Airport runways melting.

Many roads also melting.

London Ambulance service is taking 400 heat-related calls every hour.

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Every kilometre of rail has expanded by 30cm, causing warping, points failures and the cancellation of some trains.

Airport runways melting.

Many roads also melting.

Don't look down.

This is the new normal. People better get used to it imo.

People needing the emergency services due to the heat (if not due  being made to work in it) need a boot up the arse too for wasting valuable resources.

Edited by Taffin

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

Airport runways melting.

Many roads also melting.

How do railways in the likes of florida survive? Do we use cheap shite?