Is the penny finally dropping for Hibs fans…… ( merged )

Craigieboy

3 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I've heard the word "chor", meaning to steal, around the central Teesside area.  I think it's quite rare, and mainly used by the lower social classes, as I've only heard it on the street, never at work (sorry if I sound like a snob, I couldn't think of a better way of putting it).  I didn't realise that there was a similar word in Edinburgh.

I thought it was largely confined to the Lothians area until a Tyneside brewery brought out a beer a few years ago called “Radgie Gadgie”.

Two more words from my Edinburgh childhood that I thought were local slang terms!
As Tazio says, maybe the lingo is more widespread than I imagined!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• sadj

• Bazzas right boot

WorldChampions1902
43 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Like a lot of east coast language it came from travellers and gypsies. 

Interesting. I thought perhaps it had originated from our Armed forces who were posted to India at the height of the British Empire days. Similarly with the origins of the phrase Doolaly (Deolali).

1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

It was a pretty low thing to do, no question. And the impact on those directly affected would have been severe as you say. As another poster pointed out however, this was the action of one individual.
You stated earlier that even Rangers didn’t stoop so low.

But let’s not forget RFC went bust in 2012 owing HM Treasury £100M+ in unpaid taxes following years of industrial-scale tax evasion.

How many carers, healthcare professionals, new hospitals, and other vital public sector workers might that money have funded or helped fund? More importantly, how many people potentially suffered as a result of lack of funding?

It’s all relative, but let’s not pretend RFC is entitled to any moral high-ground here.

Brilliant point,brilliantly put.

27 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Interesting. I thought perhaps it had originated from our Armed forces who were posted to India at the height of the British Empire days. Similarly with the origins of the phrase Doolaly (Deolali).

In another odd twist there are a lot of romany words that have their routes in Asia as it's thought that the original gypsy tribes came from India or thereabouts. 

scott herbertson
18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

In another odd twist there are a lot of romany words that have their routes in Asia as it's thought that the original gypsy tribes came from India or thereabouts. 

Indeed

Both explanations (empire and romany) have been suggested - I think romany is certainly an influence. I would recommend reading David Haggart : Life of Haggart by an Edinburgh criminal in the early 1800s  - much of his slang comes from the travellers and indeed he was the inspiration for George Borrow's Lavengro

David Haggart - Wikipedia

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

Indeed

Both explanations (empire and romany) have been suggested - I think romany is certainly an influence. I would recommend reading David Haggart : Life of Haggart by an Edinburgh criminal in the early 1800s  - much of his slang comes from the travellers and indeed he was the inspiration for George Borrow's Lavengro

David Haggart - Wikipedia

Brilliant, Scott. Thanks for the reference.

54 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Probably does

1 hour ago, PortyBeach said:

I thought it was largely confined to the Lothians area until a Tyneside brewery brought out a beer a few years ago called “Radgie Gadgie”.

Two more words from my Edinburgh childhood that I thought were local slang terms!
As Tazio says, maybe the lingo is more widespread than I imagined!

Clarty is another word I thought was at least Scottish (though maybe Lothian) but used in geordie land as well. Radge down there used more when someone is irrationally angry rather than to describe a bam. 

Edited by GinRummy

WorldChampions1902
9 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Probably does

You gotta love JKB. Very high-brow at times. Some brilliantly fascinating contributions to this thread in the last hour or so!

5 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

You gotta love JKB. Very high-brow at times. Some brilliantly fascinating contributions to this thread in the last hour or so!

Bang on and 

FTH

5 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Hibs have always had this strange knack of eventually copying us in some form and not quite matching us or doing it hilariously bad.

It would only be natural that they die when Ron the Con is finished selling what he can and hoovering up any McGinn cash.

The Germans have a word for it - Ersatz.

scott herbertson

I just looked up Chore in the ridiculously large (9 volumes, weighs about 30 kilos)  Scottish National Dictionary. It give chore as romany - first mention in about 1911 (which doesn't really square with the Indian army line.

51 minutes ago, NaturalOrder74 said:

Hibs’d it again 🤣 bottom 6 shite 

Always adds a bit of gloss to my weekend when they make an arse of it! 😊

WorldChampions1902
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

I just looked up Chore in the ridiculously large (9 volumes, weighs about 30 kilos)  Scottish National Dictionary. It give chore as romany - first mention in about 1911 (which doesn't really square with the Indian army line.

👍

2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Certainly wouldn't be arguing the point 

Was told by a very drunk , self confessed , academic that it came from India . I was also quite (as in very) drunk

scott herbertson
3 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Certainly wouldn't be arguing the point 

Was told by a very drunk , self confessed , academic that it came from India . I was also quite (as in very) drunk

He might still be right in the sense that the Romany itself could have come from older indian words, as was pointed out Romany is indo-aryan in origin and there are still nomadic indians speaking a form of it.

21 hours ago, Zico said:

This. After the behaviour of their club and a sizeable amount of their fans during our administration and demotion, I hope they die. **** them. 

My sentiments entirely 

31 minutes ago, fila said:

Have they sold out their final allocation yet ,considering they wanted half the capacity to satisfy the demand ?

.nuts seem pretty convinced the final will either be bcd or postponed until March.

22 hours ago, Zico said:

This. After the behaviour of their club and a sizeable amount of their fans during our administration and demotion, I hope they die. **** them. 

Spot on Zico.

10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hibs being ended 30 years ago

OR

30 years of fun and laughter. 

The gift that keeps on giving. 

Great having them as a City rival.

SpruceBringsteen

The shite have literally 2 (two) positives. A diving cheat and a hammer thrower. Anyone who thinks they'll be higher than top 10 this season isn't well mentally.

Pretty much gifted a Saint win

A team who cant win at home. like Hibs

Relegation form for sure

Hope Dundee, who i hate smash them

FTH

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, martoon said:

.nuts seem pretty convinced the final will either be bcd or postponed until March.

There’s bound to be a .nut display of some sort just before the game starts……they’ll hibs that, nap.

43 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

There’s bound to be a .nut display of some sort just before the game starts……they’ll hibs that, nap.

Never been sure if they are Hibsing those displays or if "dugs dinner" was actually the aim. 

Either way I suppose it qualifies as a Hibsing.

Baffles me why they bother. Displays of that kind just scream inadequacy and add nothing to the atmosphere.

Edited by martoon

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Somewhere, there’s a website with ‘shite fan displays’ on it. Hibs are undoubtedly occupying the top 3 spots, and Ron has demanded it be included under their official honours list in the match programme as evidence of achievement during his tenure.

Hibs trailblazing as per. 

avhudtheteeshirt
7 hours ago, Canscot said:

I would like to see The Thumb get a hat trick against them. That might feel like taking it dry to them 😉

On Sportscene it looked like he had the ball up his front already???

They moaned about getting more tickets for the final. And they got some….

Still haven’t managed to sell them 

Pathetic 

Not the most loyal fans in the league are they….

19 hours ago, martoon said:

Wishful thinking from that risible mob. Behind closed doors will disguise the fact their "support" has dropped right off and a postponement will have them convinced some no-mark manager will have them competitive by the time of the final.

Very transparent. 

highlandjambo3
2 hours ago, Rudy T said:

I’m hearing Lennon is on the short list for a return to Hibs. I really thought we’d seen the last of him and his baggage. 

This would be fun……..Ron the con will give him the same support as any other proposed manager……very little.

Malinga the Swinga
On 11/12/2021 at 22:07, dav1e said:

The gift that keeps on giving. 

Great having them as a City rival.

I'd rather they disappeared from face of earth.

7 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I'd rather they disappeared from face of earth.

And the sooner the better.  I could easily live without the comedy value they bring.

Doctor FinnBarr
22 hours ago, PTBCAL said:

They moaned about getting more tickets for the final. And they got some….

Still haven’t managed to sell them 

Pathetic 

Not the most loyal fans in the league are they….

Hobbit I know told me in the pub yesterday after the game that they had got 2750 extra tickets but hadn't shifted a single one. He only attends semis and finals.

We're hibs fans not happy to see the back of Lennon? Now he's the fans favorite, is this the media trying to soften the blow for them when he reappears?

1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Hobbit I know told me in the pub yesterday after the game that they had got 2750 extra tickets but hadn't shifted a single one. He only attends semis and finals.

And to think some were queuing up at 3am for a ticket  rather than be disappointed

The Hibs way if ever 

According to Sportsound while the official attendance last night was slightly over 13,000 it was in fact only 9,500. The commentary mentioned swathes of empty green seats. 

Clark Griswold

Apparently they did a poznan. Less than half a stadium full and 1-0 up to Dundee due to an OG. Let that sink in folks.

:cornette:

16 minutes ago, Clark Griswold said:

Apparently they did a poznan. Less than half a stadium full and 1-0 up to Dundee due to an OG. Let that sink in folks.

:cornette:

That was some OG tbf. Great seeing fans still turning up dressed as seats. What a loyal support, speaking of which how's their HSL thing going? Pathetic team and rancid support. FTH.

Just read that after all the hobo’s complaints about not getting an even split for cup final tickets, they got 17,500 then another 2000, they now can’t sell them all, up to 500 left seemingly 😎😎

• davemclaren changed the title to Is the penny finally dropping for Hibs fans…… ( merged )