Is the penny finally dropping for Hibs fans…… ( merged )

Craigieboy

1 hour ago, jambo-in-furness said:

It does no harm to research their history,  a lot of skeletons lurk there.

2 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

“Know your enemy”

Agreed.  I enjoy their confused little faces when telling them they are the original sevco

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Mikey1874

• sadj

• Bazzas right boot

maroonlegions
5 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

There’s definitely a more venomous attitude towards Hearts from a section of the Hibs support that isn’t reflected in the Hearts support.
Most - OK all - Hearts fans would enjoy seeing Hibs in various difficulties but for the most part I don’t sense there’s the hatred that I think is evident from some of them.
I guess it’s due to an inwardly acknowledged sense of being second-best most of the time. 

May the 19th 2012  broke them..  

That's were their venomous  hatred is targeted ..

5 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

The best city rivals ever, I will agree.  Love beating them and hate losing to them BUT I want them dead and gone.  Their arsehole fans behaviour during our 'troubles' made me despise them with almost every fibre of my being.  I reserve my total hatred for the weegie arse cheeks but the Leigh spoon burning mob are getting very close to losing my last threads of pity for them.

I can see you sentiment, but you'd hate that eventually.  I'm an old timer in that I contributed to the HOH campaign at the time.  Even back then loads of Jambos wanted them to survive, we just wanted our best rivals to survive.  You all know the stats.  And, you know, this is it in a nutshell.  They have fans who want us to just die and go away, while history proves, we will always want them here, with us, to cheer us up. s.Sometimes they beat us, but the bottle usually crashes. I'd like the puffa-jacket bruised one to come back for a few weeks, just so we can have a good laugh.

Edited by Birregrande

11 minutes ago, Birregrande said:

I can see you sentiment, but you'd hate that eventually.  I'm an old timer in that I contributed to the HOH campaign at the time.  Even back then loads of Jambos wanted them to survive, we just wanted our best rivals to survive.  You all know the stats.  And, you know, this is it in a nutshell.  They have fans who want us to just die and go away, while history proves, we will always want them here, with us, to cheer us up. s.Sometimes they beat us, but the bottle usually crashes. I'd like the puffa-jacket bruised one to come back for a few weeks, just so we can have a good laugh.

I can understand your viewpont but I respectfully disagree. I want them gone.

58 minutes ago, db211833 said:

Agreed.  I enjoy their confused little faces when telling them they are the original sevco

“The original sevco” 😊.

WorldChampions1902
7 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

“The original sevco” 😊.

Even Sevco didn’t stoop to chorieing Church funds and doing a Nash to Canada to escape justice in their formative years. In fact, Sevco supported Vermin fund-raising by playing in charity matches at Hibs to support the Leith poor. 

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Even Sevco didn’t stoop to chorieing Church funds and doing a Nash to Canada to escape justice in their formative years. In fact, Sevco supported Vermin fund-raising by playing in charity matches at Hibs to support the Leith poor. 

“Chorie” - a classic Edinburgh word 😊. I’m always interested in Edinburgh football history - what’s the story around the theft of church funds?

WorldChampions1902
13 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

“Chorie” - a classic Edinburgh word 😊. I’m always interested in Edinburgh football history - what’s the story around the theft of church funds?

One of Hibs early Treasurers stole the church Poor Fund and emigrated to Canada with his booty. 🥵

7 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

One of Hibs early Treasurers stole the church Poor Fund and emigrated to Canada with his booty. 🥵

And we helped them when the rest were willing to shaft them. 

2 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Don’t talk utter mince, they are all over that result!😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

HeartsandonlyHearts
7 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

I realise you’re on a roll, Drew, but whether Hearts are bigger or not, you must surely concede Hibs are a sizeable football club both in terms of Edinburgh and in the wider Scottish context.

No they’re not. They’re a p!$$y wee middle to bottom of the table bunch of slavering **** heads.

HeartsandonlyHearts
5 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

“Know your enemy”

Think I saw that movie. It was about a spy.

A double agent so to speak.

Edited by HeartsandonlyHearts

WorldChampions1902
24 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Numerous times. Backed their nomination to the big league in their early years. Loaned them top players when relegation was almost inevitable which ultimately averted said relegation, and then got behind their Hands Off Hibs campaign during the Mercer era.

And how did they repay that support………..? 😡

31 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Indeed we did! The SFA adopted the view that Hibs were an Irish club and stated “We are catering for Scotsmen, not Irishmen” and forbade other clubs from playing Hibs.

Hearts, however, defied this ruling and provided the opposition in Hibs' first match on Christmas Day 1875. A precedent was set with Hearts winning 1-0.

The SFA subsequently backed down and allowed Hibs to participate in the league.

So, yes, we stuck our necks out for them.

Edited by PortyBeach

9 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Think I saw that movie. It was about a spy.

A double agent so to speak.

Busted! I’m a closet Hibby…

12 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Busted! I’m a closet Hibby…

At least your owning up to it, there are some of your lot on here who are not so honest. 😉

21 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Indeed we did! The SFA adopted the view that Hibs were an Irish club and stated “We are catering for Scotsmen, not Irishmen” and forbade other clubs from playing Hibs.

Hearts, however, defied this ruling and provided the opposition in Hibs' first match on Christmas Day 1875. A precedent was set with Hearts winning 1-0.

The SFA subsequently backed down and allowed Hibs to participate in the league.

So, yes, we stuck our necks out for them.

Despite having just 8 men for the first 20 minutes.

:jambobanana:

Numerous times. Backed their nomination to the big league in their early years. Loaned them top players when relegation was almost inevitable which ultimately averted said relegation, and then got behind their Hands Off Hibs campaign during the Mercer era.

This. After the behaviour of their club and a sizeable amount of their fans during our administration and demotion, I hope they die. **** them. 

I think the Hands Off Hibs support is overstated  

I wasn't in favour but didn't attend any events or indicate my opposition in any other way.

I was still way out of synch with most folk I knew. 

3 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

To be fair that was one man.

I wouldn't like Hearts judged on the basis of the likes of Robinson. 

6 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I’m glad you said that. If I’d said it, I’d have been viewed as an undercover Hibby 🤨

25 minutes ago, Zico said:

This. After the behaviour of their club and a sizeable amount of their fans during our administration and demotion, I hope they die. **** them. 

Fair comment.

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Ditto...

gorgie rd eh11
3 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

You know a lot about hibs. Not this though.

9 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

Or is it verminous hatred? 

Not a chance did I get behind the hoh campaign , fair play to the Hearts supporters who did . 

I would be interested to know from those who did back them then ,given how they then acted when we were in the shit ,if they now regretted backing them at the time?

I do remember waving £10 notes at them at the Mercer derby , it was as close to a donation they’d have gotten from me .

On 09/12/2021 at 08:59, Bozi said:

Surely this is a parody account 😂😂😂

Giving out bacon rolls and free stadium tours to fans who haven't been to the ground before 😂😂😂

The guy who posted that is a Hibee and has been a friend of mine for over 20 years. There is a group of us made up of Hearts, Celtic and Hibs fans and we get along, mostly. Aside from being a Hibee he is not a bad bloke. 

2 hours ago, Class of 75 said:

The guy who posted that is a Hibee and has been a friend of mine for over 20 years. There is a group of us made up of Hearts, Celtic and Hibs fans and we get along, mostly. Aside from being a Hibee he is not a bad bloke. 

Aye its a brilliant bit of trolling to be honest, made me chuckle 

41 minutes ago, Bozi said:

Aye its a brilliant bit of trolling to be honest, made me chuckle 

Me too. He has a decent sense of humour but at the same time is not deluded as to how bad they are. 

WorldChampions1902
11 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

Unfortunately, the Vermin base a lot of their anti-Hearts venom on the actions of ‘one man’.  Individuals such as Mercer, Romanov etc. But all of that misses the point.

Those same Vermin spout their spurious “Romanov Stole My Pension” and “Poppy Thieves” bile whilst ignoring their own true history on misappropriation of funds. Let’s be honest, it doesn’t get much lower than stealing the Church Poor Fund, especially when the Victorian victims of such appalling criminality we’re truly dirt poor. This was a time when poor kids had no shoes, empty stomachs and were living 8-10 to a room.

Aye but Romanov……..

WorldChampions1902
11 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I think the Hands Off Hibs support is overstated  

I wasn't in favour but didn't attend any events or indicate my opposition in any other way.

I was still way out of synch with most folk I knew. 

If HOH support was “overstated” and most of your associates supported HOH as you suggest, then the HOH isn’t overstated.

Diadora Van Basten
14 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Chorie comes from the Urdu word “chor” meaning thief.

31 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

If HOH support was “overstated” and most of your associates supported HOH as you suggest, then the HOH isn’t overstated.

I've not expressed that well.

I was against the takeover. 

The vast majority of others were in favour of it.

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Chorie comes from the Urdu word “chor” meaning thief.

Thanks. I haven’t heard the word used much outside the Edinburgh area. 
Any idea how it entered the local language?

WorldChampions1902
27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hibs being ended 30 years ago

OR

30 years of fun and laughter. 

And that is the conundrum. If Wallace Mercer hadn’t tried to buy them, likelihood is they would have ceased to exist. No 5-1, 22 in a row et al.

Samuel Camazzola
19 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

And that is the conundrum. If Wallace Mercer hadn’t tried to buy them, likelihood is they would have ceased to exist. No 5-1, 22 in a row et al.

Mercer saved them. He also had their club. That's what riles them more! 😂 

Hibs have always had this strange knack of eventually copying us in some form and not quite matching us or doing it hilariously bad.

It would only be natural that they die when Ron the Con is finished selling what he can and hoovering up any McGinn cash.

WorldChampions1902
2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Mercer saved them. He also had their club. That's what riles them more! 😂 

Yup. And all self-inflicted. Hibs got themselves into the dire financial state that left them exposed to a predator. To compound matters, Hibs subsequently approached Mercer offering up their shell of a club. All of which is conveniently ignored by those of a Vermin persuasion.

A Livi ,Saints and Midden win ,even add  scumdee would FAF

Pays 107/1 put a £1 on that me thinks 

4 hours ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Unfortunately, the Vermin base a lot of their anti-Hearts venom on the actions of ‘one man’.  Individuals such as Mercer, Romanov etc. But all of that misses the point.

Those same Vermin spout their spurious “Romanov Stole My Pension” and “Poppy Thieves” bile whilst ignoring their own true history on misappropriation of funds. Let’s be honest, it doesn’t get much lower than stealing the Church Poor Fund, especially when the Victorian victims of such appalling criminality we’re truly dirt poor. This was a time when poor kids had no shoes, empty stomachs and were living 8-10 to a room.

Aye but Romanov……..

It was a pretty low thing to do, no question. And the impact on those directly affected would have been severe as you say. As another poster pointed out however, this was the action of one individual.
You stated earlier that even Rangers didn’t stoop so low.

But let’s not forget RFC went bust in 2012 owing HM Treasury £100M+ in unpaid taxes following years of industrial-scale tax evasion.

How many carers, healthcare professionals, new hospitals, and other vital public sector workers might that money have funded or helped fund? More importantly, how many people potentially suffered as a result of lack of funding?

It’s all relative, but let’s not pretend RFC is entitled to any moral high-ground here.

WorldChampions1902
7 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

It was a pretty low thing to do, no question. And the impact on those directly affected would have been severe as you say. As another poster pointed out however, this was the action of one individual.
You stated earlier that even Rangers didn’t stoop so low.

But let’s not forget RFC went bust in 2012 owing HM Treasury £100M+ in unpaid taxes following years of industrial-scale tax evasion.

How many carers, healthcare professionals, new hospitals, and other vital public sector workers might that money have funded or helped fund? More importantly, how many people potentially suffered as a result of lack of funding?

It’s all relative, but let’s not pretend RFC is entitled to any moral high-ground here.

Fair point. I certainly would never defend the Sevco debacle.

3 hours ago, PortyBeach said:

Thanks. I haven’t heard the word used much outside the Edinburgh area. 
Any idea how it entered the local language?

Like a lot of east coast language it came from travellers and gypsies. 

Just now, sassenach said:

I've heard the word "chor", meaning to steal, around the central Teesside area.  I think it's quite rare, and mainly used by the lower social classes, as I've only heard it on the street, never at work (sorry if I sound like a snob, I couldn't think of a better way of putting it).  I didn't realise that there was a similar word in Edinburgh.

It’s the thing of travelling people moving up and down the east coast and the borders doing seasonal work on farms that means those type of words are spread out the way they are. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Is the penny finally dropping for Hibs fans…… ( merged )