***Official Ross County vs Heart Of Midlothian Match Thread***

William H. Bonney

Another thing overlooked about Gnanduillet is what having him there means in terms of space. Their centre back done well to man mark him yesterday, but you could see it was taking its toll on the guy. Which of course in turn makes space for players like McKay and GMS to operate in as Gnanduillet occupies other defenders.

Also, it’s noticeable when we do get the ball  to the byline Gnanduillet makes impressive runs. If you look at his goals from his time at Blackpool a great number of them are him making runs peeling off the defender to space, difference with Blackpool and us is he was actually being found by good crosses. He done it yesterday, saw him peel off to the back post a few times losing his man. The one where McKay instead pulled back to find Boyce (but pulled too far) Gnanduillet was free at the back stick.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harry Potter

• King prawn

• GinRummy

• Hearts1975

Just now, Rods said:

Crossing seems to be an issue. I would love to know our goals to corners ratio. It’s probably the worst in the league if not the country.

The blame for the draw lies at Robbie’s door. 

We at the very least stopped the out-swinging corners at one point yesterday. But yes, crossing is abysmal.

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I genuinely can’t fathom some folk’s opinions on Gnanduillet, you thought he was shite yesterday? Really? He was man of the match for me, which although wasn’t saying much I don’t even think it was close. He won plenty of headers (the majority of duals he faced, actually) and it’s clear he only had two clear opportunities which produced top drawer saves from their keeper, who was given man of the match overall by neutrals. He won plenty of flick ons and laid the ball on a plate for GMS to only then balloon over. Also tracked back (with purpose) on occasion and did his best when defending set pieces. Genuinely think the guy can do no right by some it seems.

Whatever. He was pish. 

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Agree with you that we look more solid with a back 3, but Gnando was hardly shite. He hit the target at least 2 or 3 times which is what you want from a forward… and he spent far more time in the box as a target than Boyce has done of late, giving our wide men a target with their crosses for once. If GMS could hit the target more often, he’d be on 10 goals as you say. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not comparing Gnando to GMS and Boyce here, we were obviously set up differently yesterday - but I thought he done well. 

I thought he was pish. I've seen milk turn quicker. His best chance to score was one he never anticipated, caught on his heels. 

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Whatever. He was pish. 

It’s your opinion and you’re entitled to it of course. Genuinely can in no way shape or form see where you’re coming from with it, but if it’s the opinion you hold it’s the opinion you hold.

I thought it was a decent away performance from us and we were unlucky not to get the three points. We created plenty early on and it was a fairly ballsy line up from Neilson. Over the years watching hearts away from our away performances have been on the whole a tough watch. This season we’ve had three good away league performances. Yesterday’s disappointment is much more to do with the frustration at the result. 

Im still liking what I’ve seen so far this season. 6 game’s undefeated and sitting joint top as I type this. It’s still a new group of players and they seem to be a very talented lot. No doubt we will click and go on an even better run of results very soon. Keep the confidence and performances up and the goals will come. We’ve seen some garbage over the last few seasons and this for me is a differently level. The glasgow teams aren’t great just now and have already dropped points and will continue to do so. Yesterday was alright and we are heading in the right direction. Let’s see what happens and keep doing our job as supporters as we have a big part to play. It’s going to be a good season I reckon👍

Some of our fans at the game yesterday were embarrassing and really don’t understand football. They do like spouting their pish though. We were set up to attack and did. Whilst we missed sitters and had some soft defending, players have to take responsibility for that. Not Robbie and his team. Doesn’t suit some agendas though. Great being at a game with sun shining and loads of hearts fans but some need to stop throwing the tattie at the first opportunity 

36 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I thought he was pish. I've seen milk turn quicker. His best chance to score was one he never anticipated, caught on his heels. 

Apart from the really good volley and decent header 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
18 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Surely other teams play with similar numbers of attackers. We had scored 1 goal from open play in our previous three games. Don’t think RN should be criticised for trying to be proactive.

It's about winning games, clean sheets win games. This utopian vision from fantasists, we are not ready for with our defensive capabilities. 

Leave space in behind you get punished 

3 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

Some of our fans at the game yesterday were embarrassing and really don’t understand football. They do like spouting their pish though. We were set up to attack and did. Whilst we missed sitters and had some soft defending, players have to take responsibility for that. Not Robbie and his team. Doesn’t suit some agendas though. Great being at a game with sun shining and loads of hearts fans but some need to stop throwing the tattie at the first opportunity 

Much of our play was the old "hold the ball up, pass to team mate who would pass it back" style.  When we did set off up the park our decision-making in the final third/ box was abysmal  (and as is being highlighted on here) as was our crossing.

On a tight pitch and against a stuffy tough team that out-muscled our light weight front men, we could have played another 90 minutes and never scored. 

Just now, Baxfee said:

Spot on.. too many of the football manager and FIFA generation, not enough have actually played the game, it’s not all black and white, once the players step on the pitch, there is only so much a manager or coach can do, a game can ebb and flow and no team will ever dominate a match for 90 minutes no matter how good or bad they are.

Robbie Neilson is by no means the greatest coach, but he is definitely not the worst, and hopefully Hearts will not react too quickly to fans, some who will complain at the first bad result, there’s as much chance of us making a worse appointment if Robbie was to leave, as the correct one.

This rebuild will take time, we might be good enough to finish top 4, we might just fall short, but we must show a level of patience, and not react to noisy minority, a rash decision could set us back years again

1 hour ago, Dr Lager said:

Exactly, zero chance of any progression under neilson.

Aye 'cause getting demoted sitting bottom of the league to then skooshing the championship and now competing up the top end of the same league we sat bottom of before Robbie isn't progression right enough.

I've been as critical as anyone especially when he first came back but Stevie Wonder could see the progression.

2 hours ago, DS98 said:

Drop Beni

Boyce is shite

We scraped a draw. 

Same time next week KB ✌️ 

Is that everybody saying that or just one or two posters?  

Just now, Sir Gio said:

It's about winning games, clean sheets win games. This utopian vision from fantasists, we are not ready for with our defensive capabilities. 

Leave space in behind you get punished 

Don’t commit to attack and you get punished. The keep it tight all over the park and hope to nick a goal approach sells this squad short imo. That approach didn’t win us the games against aberdeen or Hibs. We created loads yesterday and aye we were exposed a bit but with the players we have available we should be set up to attack and attack in numbers. 

I’m quite happy to see us play with two centre mids but one of them needs half his job to be about getting up the park. Beni isn’t that player and neither is Haring. Maybe Devlin is we’ll just have to wait and see. 

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Don’t commit to attack and you get punished. The keep it tight all over the park and hope to nick a goal approach sells this squad short imo. That approach didn’t win us the games against aberdeen or Hibs. We created loads yesterday and aye we were exposed a bit but with the players we have available we should be set up to attack and attack in numbers. 

I’m quite happy to see us play with two centre mids but one of them needs half his job to be about getting up the park. Beni isn’t that player and neither is Haring. Maybe Devlin is we’ll just have to wait and see. 

Agree.  There is a void in the middle of the park.  No one pushing up to support our front/wide men so we lose the ball and allow the other team to break. 

1 minute ago, chrystaf said:

Agree.  There is a void in the middle of the park.  No one pushing up to support our front/wide men so we lose the ball and allow the other team to break. 

Spot on. The front line needs decent service from somewhere. 

2 hours ago, blairdin said:

Over time, I think everyone will be on this page.

We've drawn at home against a struggling Aberdeen team. A draw at home to Hibs should never be acceptable. A worldly free kick is ultimately what got us a point yesterday.

If we're happy with 1 point in games we should be taking 3 from, that's a problem - over the course of a season it's not top 6 form. 

The bottom line is we have to be doing better, and should be doing better with the players that we have available. Hibs and Aberdeen have their own issues just now, and should be no barometer of our form.

I know. If we keep this up we’ll only end up with 76 points. Shocking. 

Berra than you
1 hour ago, Rods said:

If you have made your lazy assumption regarding Gnando. I suggest you don’t watch Jallan Films from yesterday’s game. 

Yup. He was excellent first half. I think he can be slow at times to anticipate things but he often leaves balls he knows he no chance of making and that's when people say he's lazy. Could have had two goals first half and should have had an assist for GMS. Second half he was poorer but still one enough flick ons for me. Late on when he had ball into feet and back to goal he was drawing several of their defenders with him and creating space for others. Then found a pass out and then we waste the chance. 

43 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Much of our play was the old "hold the ball up, pass to team mate who would pass it back" style.  When we did set off up the park our decision-making in the final third/ box was abysmal  (and as is being highlighted on here) as was our crossing.

On a tight pitch and against a stuffy tough team that out-muscled our light weight front men, we could have played another 90 minutes and never scored. 

We spent ten minutes pre match practicing crossing, it didn't show during the game. Gnando had little quality to work off. However he's a guy who looks like he thinks giving 60% effort is acceptable and that nobody will notice!

3 minutes ago, gedster said:

We spent ten minutes pre match practicing crossing, it didn't show during the game. Gnando had little quality to work off. However he's a guy who looks like he thinks giving 60% effort is acceptable and that nobody will notice!

Utter drivel. When will people learn that just because you don’t run around like a headless chicken in a Sunday amateur game that it doesn’t mean you’re not giving effort? Plenty of the best strikers in the world look like that, they’re not all high pressing strikers like at a Liverpool or Man City, plenty of the best strikers know when and how to run to take the most advantage of the space. And if the team, as you said, spent much time practicing crosses then surely that means our focal point striker remains in the box to be, well, our focal point. Even then, I saw him track back more than GMS or McKay did. throughout the game so your opinion that he was at 60% effort doesn’t hold up to much observational scrutiny,

Honestly, we’ve had youth player after youth player who get so much leeway because they look like they’re putting in the effort, when in reality what they are doing is working themselves into the ground achieving very little as they have little nuance. Gnanduillet has quality, and he knows when to make runs and when to peel off and when to knock down and flick on headers. Just because he doesn’t run like Calumn Morrison doesn’t mean there’s only 60% effort.

Must say, not all this post is directed at you, this is a long term thing with football fans in general, particular in Scotland that don’t seem to fathom the difference between putting in appropriate effort and needless exertion of energy.

5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Utter drivel. When will people learn that just because you don’t run around like a headless chicken in a Sunday amateur game that it doesn’t mean you’re not giving effort? Plenty of the best strikers in the world look like that, they’re not all high pressing strikers like at a Liverpool or Man City, plenty of the best strikers know when and how to run to take the most advantage of the space. And if the team, as you said, spent much time practicing crosses then surely that means our focal point striker remains in the box to be, well, our focal point. Even then, I saw him track back more than GMS or McKay did. throughout the game so your opinion that he was at 60% effort doesn’t hold up to much observational scrutiny,

Honestly, we’ve had youth player after youth player who get so much leeway because they look like they’re putting in the effort, when in reality what they are doing is working themselves into the ground achieving very little as they have little nuance. Gnanduillet has quality, and he knows when to make runs and when to peel off and when to knock down and flick on headers. Just because he doesn’t run like Calumn Morrison doesn’t mean there’s only 60% effort.

Must say, not all this post is directed at you, this is a long term thing with football fans in general, particular in Scotland that don’t seem to fathom the difference between putting in appropriate effort and needless exertion of energy.

Thing about Gnando yesterday was he did lots of jogging and not so much running. Needs to go towards the ball, challenge in the air and accept every time he's fouling the defender, not playing the ball the refs gonna penalise him. Maybe needs a run in the team, maybe needs benches....who knows, his season has been so stop start..

8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Are you AG or AG’s agent?

I actually liked the set up yesterday, take out 1 of the attackers and put Devlin or Haring in the middle and we probably don't concede the first goal. We create a load of good chances, keep doing that and we'll be fine. 63% possession and for once it wasn't all sideways passing. Any strike partnership takes time, Gnando gave us another dimension yesterday so I'd stick with him in there. His play for GMS shot was exactly what we've been missing, McKay looked a handful for his first start. Question would be who drops out. That's GMS and McKay both missed good chances in recently. 

1 minute ago, EH11 2NL said:

I actually liked the set up yesterday, take out 1 of the attackers and put Devlin or Haring in the middle and we probably don't concede the first goal. We create a load of good chances, keep doing that and we'll be fine. 63% possession and for once it wasn't all sideways passing. Any strike partnership takes time, Gnando gave us another dimension yesterday so I'd stick with him in there. His play for GMS shot was exactly what we've been missing, McKay looked a handful for his first start. Question would be who drops out. That's GMS and McKay both missed good chances in recently. 

So you think AG should be a starter?

3 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

So you think AG should be a starter?

I think he deserves a run of games, yes. We've been a hard team to beat in the 343 recently, but we've also found it incredibly difficult to create any clear cut chances. Yesterday that was totally different. 

2 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

I think he deserves a run of games, yes. We've been a hard team to beat in the 343 recently, but we've also found it incredibly difficult to create any clear cut chances. Yesterday that was totally different. 

I think we have created more chances in all games this season and AG has only  started once. That tells me that RN doesn’t generally think he should be starting! Any 2/3 from Boyce, Woodburn GMS, Ginnelly and McKay are all going to play before AG. I think he will be away in January.

2 hours ago, Dr Lager said:

Shouldn't we be bottom of the league then if no progression under Robbie Neilson?

Just now, John Findlay said:

Shouldn't we be bottom of the league then if no progression under Robbie Neilson?

Zero chance is an exaggeration but with the quality of players available to him and the huge advantage he has in terms of money to spend he should be able to win matches like yesterday. Better managers would. 

Very frustrating result. 3 draws on the bounce despite not losing yet isn't a good run of form. It doesn't matter about the opposition, if we want to be where we believe we should be we need to start taking our chances better and tighten up at the back. 

We played a back 4 with a defence with Halkett in it and immediately concede sloppy goals. I'm not blaming him, but we know damn well he isn't good enough to play in a back 4. So why change it? I think in Smiths absence we could look at a 352 and make use of our attacking talent.

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore

McKay Beni Haring Kingsley

Woodburn

Boyce Gnando

I think down the right, with Souttar there we our defensively more sound and McKay and Beni can track back etc. to leave us less exposed. 

8 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I think we have created more chances in all games this season and AG has only  started once. That tells me that RN doesn’t generally think he should be starting! Any 2/3 from Boyce, Woodburn GMS, Ginnelly and McKay are all going to play before AG. I think he will be away in January.

I agree I think he'll be away for hopefully someone better. As it stands he's here, I think the other guys have had a fair run this season and imo we haven't created anywhere near the clear cut chances like we did yesterday. 

Berra than you
14 minutes ago, OTT said:

Very frustrating result. 3 draws on the bounce despite not losing yet isn't a good run of form. It doesn't matter about the opposition, if we want to be where we believe we should be we need to start taking our chances better and tighten up at the back. 

We played a back 4 with a defence with Halkett in it and immediately concede sloppy goals. I'm not blaming him, but we know damn well he isn't good enough to play in a back 4. So why change it? I think in Smiths absence we could look at a 352 and make use of our attacking talent.

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore

Woodburn

Boyce Gnando

I think down the right, with Souttar there we our defensively more sound and McKay and Beni can track back etc. to leave us less exposed. 

Like the look of that team. I'd probably play Smith when he's fit on place of Moore. Nit picking, but we haven't drawn three on the bounce, win away at tannadice was after the draw with dons.

3 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Like the look of that team. I'd probably play Smith when he's fit on place of Moore. Nit picking, but we haven't drawn three on the bounce, win away at tannadice was after the draw with dons.

Ahh right you are, totally forgot about that :D 

4 hours ago, Stendelnator said:

Better than 1 in 2 goal record in nearly 50 games. Statistically our best striker in the past 25 years who has played as many games as that. 

think only Zeefuik and Miller better that rate but around a quarter of the games played Boyce has

Get that but he's more of a Sandy Clark/ Jimmy Bone than a Robbo!!!!!!! We haven't had a decent back up striker for years, why?, means he gets more games than he should, for his own good too, and his body language recently has been poor. He works hard, no doubt, but his touch and awareness is awful.

3 hours ago, Dr Lager said:

what a load of absolute shit, I’ve been massively critical of Neilson but if you are saying there’s been no progression you should take up watching a different sport becuase you don’t have a ****ing clue about this one.

you give credit where it’s due, and you earn the right to dish out criticism when it’s due.

2 hours ago, XB52 said:

Don't know if already posted but great gesture by Boyce 

I'm no doubt missing something crucial here, but who is Jake Bisset and why is it a great gesture for Boyce to give him his shirt?  :huh2:

1 hour ago, Dr Lager said:

Zero chance is an exaggeration but with the quality of players available to him and the huge advantage he has in terms of money to spend he should be able to win matches like yesterday. Better managers would. 

Funny old game. I believe Sevco failed at Tannadice this season, but not Hearts.

1 minute ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I'm no doubt missing something crucial here, but who is Jake Bisset and why is it a great gesture for Boyce to give him his shirt?  :huh2:

Perharps Boyce remembered the lad from his time at Ross County?

13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

what a load of absolute shit, I’ve been massively critical of Neilson but if you are saying there’s been no progression you should take up watching a different sport becuase you don’t have a ****ing clue about this one.

you give credit where it’s due, and you earn the right to dish out criticism when it’s due.

Like you I wanted RN out last season…but (and it’s a big but) the squad and performances have improved significantly. I think we are a much better watch than at anytime since the  first Championship season. To not credit RN with being part of that change is ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Perharps Boyce remembered the lad from his time at Ross County?

Seemingly it was the lads dad (an ST holder) that had passed away through the week, and Boyce ended up giving him his jersey. Nice touch. 

1 hour ago, OTT said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore

Woodburn

Boyce Gnando

Replace Halkett with anybody with a little defensive nous and I'd go with it.  Moore looks a big laddie can he play CB or play Smith Souttar Moore or any combo thereof just don't play Halkett.  For all good Halkett does, he always has one or two brain farts.

1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

Seemingly it was the lads dad (an ST holder) that had passed away through the week, and Boyce ended up giving him his jersey. Nice touch. 

Very nice touch indeed by Boycie.

15 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Score a lucky goal from a deflection.  Another from a free kick.

Draw against a very poor team who haven't won a game so far this season.

Kinda how I thought things would be under Robbie Nelson in this league, i.e pretty average to mediocre. 

Pretty average to mediocre doesn't average 2 points a game.

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Like I said in an earlier response no progression is an exaggeration but if we can’t beat a team with no wins and has a minus 8 goal difference we aren’t making very much progress 

1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Funny old game. I believe Sevco failed at Tannadice this season, but not Hearts.

It is a funny old game, I’ll be delighted if I’m wrong and I’m eating my words but consistency is part of football and I don’t think our limitations are a one off 

3 minutes ago, Dr Lager said:

It is a funny old game, I’ll be delighted if I’m wrong and I’m eating my words but consistency is part of football and I don’t think our limitations are a one off 

Consistency is part of football.

Being unbeaten in your first six league games albeit three wins and three draws would intimate to me that we are showing a consistency.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

We are not good enough to leave space open chasing rainbows