***Official Ross County vs Heart Of Midlothian Match Thread***

William H. Bonney

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Consistency is part of football.

Being unbeaten in your first six league games albeit three wins and three draws would intimate to me that we are showing a consistency.

Convinced it would be 4 wins had we shown more patience and stuck to the plan that won 2 away games previously 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harry Potter

• King prawn

• GinRummy

• Hearts1975

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Convinced it would be 4 wins had we shown more patience and stuck to the plan that won 2 away games previously 

I think Robbie is aware of the criticism from a section of the support about away games and is reacting to it. That section of the support is getting what they've been asking for but I agree he should stick to his guns personally. It's been working. Fair play he wants to give us the attacking team we all want but he should keep his pragmatic side as that's how we pick up points.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, GinRummy said:

It’s not chasing rainbows, it’s attacking. 

We have done plenty attacking in the first 5 games. 

Controlling football matches is the best form of attacking. Lose 2 goals you need to score 3.

Not many teams score 3 regularly in this League. Gross stupidity to believe "attacking " is going to get results consistently. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

I think Robbie is aware of the criticism from a section of the support about away games and is reacting to it. That section of the support is getting what they've been asking for but I agree he should stick to his guns personally. It's been working.

Precisely 

Just now, Sir Gio said:

Controlling football matches is the best form of attacking. Lose 2 goals you need to score 3.

Not many teams score 3 regularly in this League. Gross stupidity to believe "attacking " is going to get results consistently. 

Prior to this match we had scored one goal from open play in the last three games. We weren’t creating enough chances and were too cautious. We can defend better than we did yesterday without resorting to 3 central defenders, 2 wing backs who are poor in the final third and 2 defensive centre mids. 

Yesterday was far from perfect but we need to find a balance where the forwards don’t need to drop into midfield looking for the ball. They need service. 

20 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Consistency is part of football.

Being unbeaten in your first six league games albeit three wins and three draws would intimate to me that we are showing a consistency.

It’s frustrating because we have the potential to be doing better. 

periodictabledancer
3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

No one ever said they expected anything of the sort so why the faux outrage. They should've won yesterday but as per the Sheep game , produced zip in the 2nd half. Maybe they could just try playing " consistently" ? Maybe set pieces could be improved,  crosses improved, decision making in attacking areas improved. Consistently.  Playedlts need to step up and deliver. Consistently. This isn't about fan pressure or RN. 

13 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

Any season Hearts don’t finish on 114 points is, in my mind, a season we have not delivered on promises and a clear sign of a tactically incompetent manager. I’ve been furious my whole life about this and I’m a realistic and fair man. I don’t understand why I can’t find happiness…

Apologies for the sarcasm but I genuinely don’t understand your apparent disbelief at a club dropping points. When did clubs going through seasons with full points become the norm? 

Your first sentence could be used by Rangers and Celtic fans whenever they play us. Football would be very dull if the favourites on paper won every match.

I’m just enjoying a very good start to the season in the almost certain knowledge our form will dip at times and more points will inevitably be dropped. Such is life. The same will no doubt happen to the team that eventually win the league.

Celtic and Rangers aren’t unbeatable in far from it and we need the most important person in any club who can start to get Hearts playing to a good standard and beat teams that are not that good. That is a competent manager who knows what it takes and doesn’t make mistake after mistake with team selections, substitutions, tactics and coming out with stupid excuses. Neilson isn’t good enough for Hearts even you should know that.

7 hours ago, DS98 said:

‘Scrape’ a draw 😂. Have a day off ffs.

Ross County of the Village of Dingwall were beating us 2-1  and thanks to a superb free kick we managed a draw. That just isn’t good enough. It’s Neilson who should have a day of, 365 days a year would be about right.

7 hours ago, blairdin said:

Over time, I think everyone will be on this page.

We've drawn at home against a struggling Aberdeen team. A draw at home to Hibs should never be acceptable. A worldly free kick is ultimately what got us a point yesterday.

If we're happy with 1 point in games we should be taking 3 from, that's a problem - over the course of a season it's not top 6 form. 

The bottom line is we have to be doing better, and should be doing better with the players that we have available. Hibs and Aberdeen have their own issues just now, and should be no barometer of our form.

Well said there are to many losers on here that accept mediocrity.

8 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Celtic and Rangers aren’t unbeatable in far from it and we need the most important person in any club who can start to get Hearts playing to a good standard and beat teams that are not that good. That is a competent manager who knows what it takes and doesn’t make mistake after mistake with team selections, substitutions, tactics and coming out with stupid excuses. Neilson isn’t good enough for Hearts even you should know that.

We know Celtic aren't unbeatable, we beat them. Must have been despite Robbie, that one.

2 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Ross County of the Village of Dingwall were beating us 2-1  and thanks to a superb free kick we managed a draw. That just isn’t good enough. It’s Neilson who should have a day of, 365 days a year would be about right.

Or it’s thanks to poor finishing that stopped us winning 7-2. Shit happens as we’ve just seen with the Glasgow 2 today. It’s frustrating but we’re 6 games in and a point off top spot. 

Dummy back in, big boy pants on and on to Livi next week 👍

Livingston just beat Celtic and Rangers managed to draw with Motherwell at Ibrox. Oh that’s right how can we compete against teams like that we’re only a wee team from Edinburgh. Who said that A Loser who isn’t fit to wear a maroon & white scarf and should wear a white scarf as befits a loser.

3 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Livingston just beat Celtic and Rangers managed to draw with Motherwell at Ibrox. Oh that’s right how can we compete against teams like that we’re only a wee team from Edinburgh. Who said that A Loser who isn’t fit to wear a maroon & white scarf and should wear a white scarf as befits a loser.

A bold statement for sure. 🤨

6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Mitch you're basing your post on this round of games, and just ignoring the past 30 odd years of Scottish footy re evidence of SUSTAINING a challenge over 36+ games ....

I actually agree re the general pitiful acceptance re not going for it, however it's beyond naive to use this weekend as a rule of thumb re challenging....unfortunately better player have a better mentality which is as important than the quality of player on the park itself....the general mindset of our players re last 5 years has been absolutely embarrassing.....getting up and motivating themself when the games are not so glamorous is as important than the bigger games that take care of themself.....over 38 games, failings are pretty stark re the difference in player between Tic/Sevco and the rest....

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Prior to this match we had scored one goal from open play in the last three games. We weren’t creating enough chances and were too cautious. We can defend better than we did yesterday without resorting to 3 central defenders, 2 wing backs who are poor in the final third and 2 defensive centre mids. 

Yesterday was far from perfect but we need to find a balance where the forwards don’t need to drop into midfield looking for the ball. They need service. 

Dundee Utd away was that balanced performance IMO.

Guest ToqueJambo

Are folk really still moaning? What do they expect at this stage of the season exactly? Maximum points? We've had the hardest start to the league of any of the teams around us and are neck and neck or ahead of them.

And that's with a team transitioning from the Championship and managed by, if you believe half the people on here, a completely shite manager. Yet we're supposed to be winning the league playing attacking football every game and never conceding. Mental doesn't cover it.

27 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

for **** sakes. 😂 you best prepare for a life of eternal disappointment 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Pretty average to mediocre doesn't average 2 points a game.

Indeed. Pretty average to mediocre also doesn't average never lower than 3rd over multiple seasons as Robbie has with us.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Dundee Utd away was that balanced performance IMO.

Can’t really disagree. We played very well. Last week as well, against a better team than United. We created way more chances yesterday but I concede we left ourselves a bit too open. It was a brave decision by RN and I hope he keeps looking for the right set up to get the best out of our players. The fact he’s looking to improve is encouraging. 

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Are folk really still moaning? What do they expect at this stage of the season exactly? Maximum points? We've had the hardest start to the league of any of the teams around us and are neck and neck or ahead of them.

And that's with a team transitioning from the Championship and managed by, if you believe half the people on here, a completely shite manager. Yet we're supposed to be winning the league playing attacking football every game and never conceding. Mental doesn't cover it.

they don’t expect anything. They just don’t like Neilson and that’s the end of it.. if we had Stendel in charge yesterday and played like that they’d have been waxing lyrical. “At least we are attacking! That’s what we want to see” 

I was probably one of the biggest posters on this board demanding his head.. and I will again should he give me reason to (and I think he might) But the simple fact is so far this season he’s given me no reason to moan or complain. 

Their views are best dismissed. Completely irrational. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

they don’t expect anything. They just don’t like Neilson and that’s the end of it.. if we had Stendel in charge yesterday and played like that they’d have been waxing lyrical. “At least we are attacking! That’s what we want to see” 

I was probably one of the biggest posters on this board demanding his head.. and I will again should he give me reason to (and I think he might) But the simple fact is so far this season he’s given me no reason to moan or complain. 

Their views are best dismissed. Completely irrational. 

They hunt in packs and are drawn by the scent of a draw or defeat or a win by not enough goals. Truly mad or Hibs. Just wish there were fewer of them, unless they're all the same person which is possible I suppose.

I suppose one person could look at yesterday as a massive opportunity missed given the other results, but then again I suppose another could say the other results show that not every result is guaranteed. The two points are not mutually exclusive of course, as just like Rangers can unexpectedly drop points to Motherwell we can unexpectedly drop points to Ross County.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

3 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

Seemingly it was the lads dad (an ST holder) that had passed away through the week, and Boyce ended up giving him his jersey. Nice touch. 

How does it go?

There’s class

There’s first class

……………………………………

19 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

for **** sakes. 😂 you best prepare for a life of eternal disappointment 

I just don't get it - if you have been following Hearts for as long as guys like Mitch claim to have done you know what to expect and what is just unrealistic.

Hearts are always going to drop points here and there because football is played on the park and not on a computer spreadsheet.

7 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I suppose one person could look at yesterday as a massive opportunity missed given the other results, but then again I suppose another could say the other results show that not every result is guaranteed. The two points are not mutually exclusive of course, as just like Rangers can unexpectedly drop points to Motherwell we can unexpectedly drop points to Ross County.

Given the difference in budgets its far more likely we will drop points to teams than Rangers, but any team can drop points.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I just don't get it - if you have been following Hearts for as long as guys like Mitch claim to have done you know what to expect and what is just unrealistic.

Hearts are always going to drop points here and there because football is played on the park and not on a computer spreadsheet.

This

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Keyword in bold could provide your answer to not getting it. Dropping points at Ross County is exactly what Hearts always do no matter the manager. Otherwise we'd have a lot more titles. Everyone who's been watching us for more than a few years knows this feeling very well, unfortunately. We also know that those away draws are however often good enough to get us 3rd or even 2nd pretty frequently, or at least a European spot, more frequently than other teams anyhow. Howling at the moon won't change all that, although I suppose it might make some feel better.

Edited by ToqueJambo

11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Keyword in bold could provide your answer to not getting it. Dropping points at Ross County is exactly what Hearts always do no matter the manager. Otherwise we'd have a lot more titles. Everyone who's been watching us for more than a few years knows this feeling very well, unfortunately. We also know that those away draws are however often good enough to get us 3rd or even 2nd pretty frequently, or at least a European spot, more frequently than other teams anyhow. Howling at the moon won't change all that, although I suppose it might make some feel better.

I can assure you Mitch has been supporting Hearts for 60 plus years

27 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I think out of the sides you’d expect to occupy the top 5 slots only Hibs and Rangers aren’t going through a fairly major transition. I doubt Glass or Postecoglu know quite what the best approach is, or the best starting 11. At the end of the day you can only do so much on the training ground with much of the rest down to trial and error. 

48 minutes ago, GavK1012 said:

Mitch you're basing your post on this round of games, and just ignoring the past 30 odd years of Scottish footy re evidence of SUSTAINING a challenge over 36+ games ....

I actually agree re the general pitiful acceptance re not going for it, however it's beyond naive to use this weekend as a rule of thumb re challenging....unfortunately better player have a better mentality which is as important than the quality of player on the park itself....the general mindset of our players re last 5 years has been absolutely embarrassing.....getting up and motivating themself when the games are not so glamorous is as important than the bigger games that take care of themself.....over 38 games, failings are pretty stark re the difference in player between Tic/Sevco and the rest....

Stop living in the past. For the size of club Hearts have a history of underachieving. Why ? Because we have never had a management or owner who were capable of building our club to the the best it can be. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, maroonsgotop said:

I can assure you Mitch has been supporting Hearts for 60 plus years

Does that mean he just missed out on the Terrible Trio and then experienced the barren years? Can understand the frustration then! Some perspective is needed though. For all I know he could be one of my old man's mates - maybe a bit younger though. I've sat in on enough of their moan sessions and have tried to say the same thing to them, with about the same success.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King

Celtic haven’t won away from home since February, this might well be a chance to finish above them. Draws like yesterday won’t help us to achieve this. I don’t think Rangers look great either, might be the best chance ever to do something amazing. 
We really need to cement a formation and first 11 in the next few weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Celtic haven’t won away from home since February, this might well be a chance to finish above them. Draws like yesterday won’t help us to achieve this. I don’t think Rangers look great either, might be the best chance ever to do something amazing. 

Are you feeling ok? Bumped your head today?

59 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Stop living in the past. For the size of club Hearts have a history of underachieving. Why ? Because we have never had a management or owner who were capable of building our club to the the best it can be. 

It sounds as if you're the same vintage as me. I was at Willie Bauld's testimonial and I watched a few of the late late 50's team in their declining years but the next 20 years were pretty dire, notwithstanding that we had some good players in that time. The years under Bobby Parker'chairmanship were desperate and the directorship of the club was hopeless even in the fifties, how does anyone explain the selling of the likes of Dave Mackay and Alex Young when the club were playing in front of 20-30 thousand every week; I have my own theories.

However it's clubs like Aberdeen and H1b5 that we are measured against and except for Aberdeen's Ferguson years I think our record is better than theirs.

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

On paper maybe. In practice we all know they'll simply spend their way out of trouble if it comes to that. Either that or certain reffing decisions will go their way in key games, opposition players will be linked to them on the eve of key games, etc, etc

Any non-OF team wanting to put in a title challenges needs to get over many obstacles, beating Ross County away probably being the easiest.

Although I do kind of agree with you and have a feeling about this season. Last time I felt like that was 18/19 though.

Edited by ToqueJambo

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Good post. At the end of the day we can only do the best our squad allows and see what happens.  There’s room for improvement for sure. 

portobellojambo1
19 hours ago, One five said:

I was surprised to read in here Woodburn did not play  that well ? A Young lad we have to give him time like.

The frustration for me is it seems we may struggle to get a full game out of him. That is the third game in a row he has been substituted and my understanding from what I hear being said is it is a problem with his calves possibly, and I'm not sure if it is the sort of problem that just hard training will put right.

I think he done all right yesterday but I still think/hope there may be another gear to go up yet.

Edited by portobellojambo1

2 hours ago, mitch41 said:

Agree to a large extent. I've followed Hearts from 1971 the frustration for me over the past 5 years is we are no longer a financial basket case  so, should have achieved more than mediocrity.  Our player recruitment issue seems to have been resolved to a large degree this season so the manager has the right tools to do the job. We will see if he is up to the job after 2 rounds of fixtures. So far so good for me (despite the 3 draws that with some luck could have been 3 wins).

And on a sombre note, our namesake Boycie has passed away aged 79.  One of the great TV characters.

Stick a couple in on Saturday Boycie as a tribute.

3 hours ago, mitch41 said:

😂🤣😅 Good luck...in general!

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Good post. At the end of the day we can only do the best our squad allows and see what happens.  There’s room for improvement for sure. 

Definitely, it might just take a while for the new guys to settle in and form bonds all over the park. Clever players like GMS/McKay/Woodburn/Boyce will link up well no doubt about that. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

The best teams don't commit to a set formation or set first 11.

They use their whole squad, rotate players to keep people fresh & change formation depending on how they think they can best exploit the opposition

The 2 uglies haven't started amazingly, but they will pull away as they have huge depth of squad worth millions. 

We need to get into European spot this year and then into one of the competitions group stages - even new Conference league is worth £2.7M minimum

Then we can start to dream of closing the gap

2 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

😂🤣😅 Good luck...in general!

Gav general question mate, I can name 5 players right now that would either start or atleast get on Celtic or Rangers bench, so how are people being fantasy or unrealistic, we have shown we can beat Celtic this season, have drawn with the sheep and the tramps, so how are people living in fantasy etc? You also don't agree with people saying we should expand our ground, don't you see that people are giving specific reasons as why they would like this and how it would be beneficial to our club, like for revenue etc being able to afford better players, better hospitality etc, having a bigger ground than both Aberdeen and Hibs. 

Pasquale for King
23 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

The best teams don't commit to a set formation or set first 11.

They use their whole squad, rotate players to keep people fresh & change formation depending on how they think they can best exploit the opposition

The 2 uglies haven't started amazingly, but they will pull away as they have huge depth of squad worth millions. 

We need to get into European spot this year and then into one of the competitions group stages - even new Conference league is worth £2.7M minimum

Then we can start to dream of closing the gap

I would say teams like Chelsea, Liverpool, past greats like Real or Barca, Bayern and even Man City usually play the same system and style of play. 
We don’t really have that much competition where there will be loads of changes, for me our front four has to be GMS, Boyce, McKay with Woodburn behind. Haring and Beni, Kingsley, Souttar, Moore, Smith. Only Halkett/Devlin/Gnanduillet/Ginnelly will challenge to get in that team but they’re our strongest team/formation imo. 
Ive seen nothing from the uglies to say they will pull away, Rangers play the same way in every game and Celtic can’t defend, that’s not changing anytime soon. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

37 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I would say teams like Chelsea, Liverpool, past greats like Real or Barca, Bayern and even Man City usually play the same system and style of play. 
We don’t really have that much competition where there will be loads of changes, for me our front four has to be GMS, Boyce, McKay with Woodburn behind. Haring and Beni, Kingsley, Souttar, Moore, Smith. Only Halkett/Devlin/Gnanduillet/Ginnelly will challenge to get in that team but they’re our strongest team/formation imo. 
Ive seen nothing from the uglies to say they will pull away, Rangers play the same way in every game and Celtic can’t defend, that’s not changing anytime soon. 

Same style of play yeah, but different systems. 

Chelsea alternative between a back 3 or 4.

Man City always have a back 4 (in theory), but midfield & attack set up differs hugely

Some teams do stick to a set 11 and get success, but competition is good for squad, especially at our level. 

Pretty much agree with what you say about players, although I think we'll see Logan & Pollock push into that as well. Hopefully McEneff cones through as well

Rangers & Celtic haven't started well, just going on past experience that they will get their act together at some point. 

Still think Europe has to be the aim, let's see where the league is at by January. Could be an interesting & competitive year if it stays this way