Apologies Mr Neilson.

Boyces beard

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

We were reliably informed by the happy Clappers that our financial advantage over the other teams in the Championship last season was irrelevant, two teams on the pitch blah blah. 

It was relevant. No one ever  said it wasn't relevant. 

You are getting mixed up with individual games v the entire league campaign. 

The team that has a much bigger budget should finish higher than teams with a far lower budget, it does not mean you will win every game

That shouldn't be a hard logic to follow or get confused about. 

For example, We won the league easily last season aided by our bigger budget and better players. 

We didn't win every game tho. 

This season, I expect celtic or rangers to finish  above the rest  comfortably because they spent more money and have better players, but they won't win every game. 

Why this needs explaining is beyond me. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Forever Hearts

• Thomaso

• A_A wehatethehibs

Gillsland jack
10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Eh? It was relevant. We won that division by double figures points including knocking 6 goals past the 2nd placed side. The only issue last season was, the foot came off the gas because the league was basically won by February and 12 players knew they were on the way out. 

So this season by your reckoning mate.We should know our place and expect nothing more than a mid table finish, because their players cost more than ours?..I think was your logic...sorry mate not for me, JJ and Sergio won a trophy in Glasgow, Burley might have and just for fun Stendel might have done some damage in Glasgow, I'm talking about mentality, I don't give a flying ....what the Celtic team cost, Fergie proved in the 80s you can take a bunch of home grown youngsters and win in Glasgow, my point was lets not be beaten before we arrive and for goodness sake don't you be doing any team talks.

26 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Jury is not out yet.

In fact only preliminary evidence available. 

I don't like his football or the fact that he doesn't give young players a chance.

If he does well this season, I will be happy to congratulate him on his improvement.

Doesn't change the fact that he has been awful in the past. 

What young players are knocking on the door? Henderson is away on loan to Alloa and he was actually getting game time!  

Byyy The Light
1 minute ago, Gillsland jack said:

So this season by your reckoning mate.We should know our place and expect nothing more than a mid table finish, because their players cost more than ours?..I think was your logic...sorry mate not for me, JJ and Sergio won a trophy in Glasgow, Burley might have and just for fun Stendel might have done some damage in Glasgow, I'm talking about mentality, I don't give a flying ....what the Celtic team cost, Fergie proved in the 80s you can take a bunch of home grown youngsters and win in Glasgow, my point was lets not be beaten before we arrive and for goodness sake don't you be doing any team talks.

Stendel got horsed in Glasgow.

Using arguably the greatest manager ever to have lived nearly 40 years ago as your only example is clutching a bit. How many teams have won the league since?  Celtic and Rangers weren't the teams they were back then either.  We almost did it in 86 too.

By all means, be positive but there is a difference between being positive, understanding your limitations and just being completely unrealistic and delusional.

rudi must stay
5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What young players are knocking on the door? Henderson is away on loan to Alloa and he was actually getting game time!  

Eusebio 

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Gillsland jack said:

No amount of “mentality” is going to see us win against Celtic or Rangers in Glasgow if either of them are on their game. Simple as that mate. Any result through there is a memorable, heroic, rare win and it requires them to have an off day as well. 

The fact is more money = better players = better team 

Why the **** are you bringing up a manager from 1979 who did not compete under these financial conditions, and why are you judging a hearts manager on games away at Celtic. Just comes across as woefully out of touch with reality.

And no not mid table, 3rd I would say is the right ambition for the club in the league. And if we can get a cup win then yes, it’s legendary. 

Stendel lost 5-0 at Celtic so not sure what you’re on about there fella. Delusional! 

Gillsland jack
1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

Using arguably the greatest manager ever to have lived nearly 40 years ago as your only example is clutching a bit. How many teams have won the league since?  Celtic and Rangers weren't the teams they were back then either.  We almost did it in 86 too.

By all means, be positive but there is a difference between being positive, understanding your limitations and just being completely unrealistic and delusional.

1 minute ago, Byyy The Light said:

Unrealistic and delusional?...for wanting to win a cup game in Glasgow, not a league title, not an actual trophy, just have a go at winning a match, that's it....I only used the Fergie example because there is no better example.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Should other managers not try to emulate what Ferguson did? 
You say we should understand our limitations after referencing how we nearly won the league in 1986? 
The financial gap is bigger no doubt about that but it was the same for Leicester or Lille or Athletico Madrid. 
If we are not going to aim for that what’s the point?

Savage seems to believe we can challenge, not sure the current manager does. 

48 minutes ago, Gillsland jack said:

They were there for the taking last time mate, it was not Brendan Rogers team, we scored twice ffs after hardly being up their end of the pitch.

This the same Celtic team that scored 12 goals in two games against Dundee and St Mirren while beating AZ Alkmaar 2-0 in between?

38 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I'll wait and see what tactics he deploys at Ibrox and Celtic Park before patting him on the back. 

If Celtic or Rangers play their best we will lose in Glasgow every single time regardless of tactics, players or manager. Any time we get a result through there it’s because they’re having an off day. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

You say we should understand our limitations after referencing how we nearly won the league in 1986? 
The financial gap is bigger no doubt about that but it was the same for Leicester or Lille or Athletico Madrid. 

You might want to check those financial gulfs for comparison!

Gillsland jack
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

No amount of “mentality” is going to see us win against Celtic or Rangers in Glasgow if either of them are on their game. Simple as that mate. Any result through there is a memorable, heroic, rare win and it requires them to have an off day as well. 

The fact is more money = better players = better team 

Why the **** are you bringing up a manager from 1979 who did not compete under these financial conditions, and why are you judging a hearts manager on games away at Celtic. Just comes across as woefully out of touch with reality.

And no not mid table, 3rd I would say is the right ambition for the club in the league. And if we can get a cup win then yes, it’s legendary. 

Stendel lost 5-0 at Celtic so not sure what you’re on about there fella. Delusional! 

Ok you are missing most of my points so lets agree to disagree.

Byyy The Light
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Not saying we shouldn't try to emulate it, I'm just not going to crack up if it doesn't happen.  If I'm totally honest, I don't believe we ever will win it with the current set up of playing both OF teams 4 times a season.  That's another factor that the teams above you have listed didn't have to deal with.  Do you think Leicester would've won the league if they had to go to Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Etihad twice and play them all at home twice too?

You asked what's the point?  I often ask myself the same question, if it wasn't to see my mates and because it's been built in to me since before I can remember, I probably wouldn't bother with Scottish football.

Gillsland jack
5 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Paulo Sergio lost 5-0 away at Celtic as well and 4-0 at Tynecastle, thoughts on that @Gillsland jack

He won a semi against Celtic, quite an important one in our History, thoughts on that?....mentality!!!, I'll try to make my point one more time for you.

Byyy The Light
10 minutes ago, Gillsland jack said:

Sorry, I must've picked you up wrong.  You mentioned settling for a mid table finish so I assumed the league.  I agree we should never aim for a mid table finish in the cup.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Gillsland jack said:

He won a semi against Celtic, quite an important one in our History, thoughts on that?....mentality!!!, I'll try to make my point one more time for you.

You are unfortunately absolutely delusional. I’ll leave you to it, to judge a hearts manager for not being as good as sir Alex in 1979 is absolute one flew over the cuckoos nest stuff. And then to use 3 managers who all got SKELPED at Celtic park as your examples. Clueless 😂

Far too early for an apology or eating humble pie.

Neilson should have been sacked months back after some of the worst results in the clubs history.

He is still here, has made a reasonable start to the league campaign, major surgery on the playing side and appears to have made some decent signings.

Where we are in a few months will determine if all the Neilson detractors should apologise or not.

In about 20 years time it'll be amusing reading about grown adults losing their shit, incandescent with rage and screaming for everybody's head after sitting in the comfort of their home watching a pishy cuptie v Brora United or whatever they're called.

Let's not kid ourselves, it's keeping a few on here alive and kicking.

Pasquale for King
15 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Not saying we shouldn't try to emulate it, I'm just not going to crack up if it doesn't happen.  If I'm totally honest, I don't believe we ever will win it with the current set up of playing both OF teams 4 times a season.  That's another factor that the teams above you have listed didn't have to deal with.  Do you think Leicester would've won the league if they had to go to Old Trafford, Anfield, Stamford Bridge, Etihad twice and play them all at home twice too?

You asked what's the point?  I often ask myself the same question, if it wasn't to see my mates and because it's been built in to me since before I can remember, I probably wouldn't bother with Scottish football.

It’s a good point about playing them all those teams four times, who knows but it would be more difficult. 
You’ve also got the referees to deal with here. 
I don’t think I will ever see us winning the top league but that’s got to be the aim. I’m used to it not happening so I won’t crack up but if a manager isn’t up to it then I will criticise them. Unreasonable, definitely. 
Agreed about Scottish football in general if Hearts didn’t exist. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

13 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

It was relevant. No one ever  said it wasn't relevant. 

You are getting mixed up with individual games v the entire league campaign. 

The team that has a much bigger budget should finish higher than teams with a far lower budget, it does not mean you will win every game

That shouldn't be a hard logic to follow or get confused about. 

For example, We won the league easily last season aided by our bigger budget and better players. 

We didn't win every game tho. 

This season, I expect celtic or rangers to finish  above the rest  comfortably because they spent more money and have better players, but they won't win every game. 

Why this needs explaining is beyond me. 

When other posters argued last season that our performances/results were poor when compared to our vastly superior financial resources, you agreed? Just answer yes or no please.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

When other posters argued last season that our performances/results were poor when compared to our vastly superior financial resources, you agreed? Just answer yes or no please.

Indeed, they can’t have it both ways. 

Gillsland jack
Just now, A_A wehatethehibs said:

You are unfortunately absolutely delusional. I’ll leave you to it, to judge a hearts manager for not being as good as sir Alex in 1979 is absolute one flew over the cuckoos nest stuff. And then to use 3 managers who all got SKELPED at Celtic park as your examples. Clueless 😂

Fergie was still there in 1986, remember they beat us in the cup.

The managers I mentioned also had success in Glasgow, so if all of that makes me delusional then allow me to apologise for that, my point remains, whether its a cup game a league game a final a semi final a game of tiddly winks, if you are beat before you even kick off then that's not good.I want to see my team attempting to win every match and especially in Glasgow, not surrender 80% of the possession to the opposition.

Now its been great having a banter with you lads but my nurse is waiting to wheel me back into my care home, the one for delusional auld jambo's.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

I think its fair to say that at the time of the Brora result, it was more likely that Neilson was leading this team to failure rather than success. And while it's still early days, we look a far better team than we did last season. The recruitment strategy has been night and day and, while obviously not all the signings will work out, they are the type of signings that we should be making. So I won't apologise necessarily for thinking that he should have gone after Brora but I am absolutely delighted he's proved me wrong so far.

Byyy The Light
2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s a good point about playing them all those teams four times, who knows but it would be more difficult. 
You’ve also got the referees to deal with here. 
I don’t think I will ever see us winning the top league but that’s got to be the aim. 
Agreed about Scottish football in general if Hearts didn’t exist. 

We could all reel off numerous examples but the new year game in 2006 against Celtic when Takis was sent off I realised that there was no chance.  Never felt so cheated, pissed off and flat leaving a game.

Game's a stitch up here.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the battles with Hibs and Aberdeen and the odd cup win but that's how I'll judge a manager, the OF don't factor in to my thinking.

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, they can’t have it both ways. 

It’s not just about the money, but it’s about the smart management of that money. 

We had a perceived financial advantage, but much of that budget had already been squandered by previous management and spent on absolutely abject pish players that drained the budget. Eg Berra, Levein gave him a 2 year extension on 4 grand a week. Aidy White, 2 year deal. Damour 4 year deal: Robbie comes in, inherits these guys, what the **** is he supposed to do? Turn back the clock and make berra a good player again? Give aidy white his legs back? So that budget advantage was there, and it does shows in the vast gap at the top of the league table,  but the disadvantage of the squandering of that budget by previous director was also there. For example our back 4 for Brora was Halkett Haring Berra White. Any of them players bought by Neilson or Savage??? So they had that hangover effect to deal with but for some reason its just absolutely ignored

Whereas Celtic, Rangers, they’ve spent big, but for their spend they’ve got Ryan Kent’s, Morelos, Edouard, Abada, the amount they spend, guarantees a certain level of quality on most occasions but also they both spend pretty wisely on guys they know will be comfortable at this level . 

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, Gillsland jack said:

Fergie was still there in 1986, remember they beat us in the cup.

The managers I mentioned also had success in Glasgow, so if all of that makes me delusional then allow me to apologise for that, my point remains, whether its a cup game a league game a final a semi final a game of tiddly winks, if you are beat before you even kick off then that's not good.I want to see my team attempting to win every match and especially in Glasgow, not surrender 80% of the possession to the opposition.

Now its been great having a banter with you lads but my nurse is waiting to wheel me back into my care home, the one for delusional auld jambo's.

They had ONE success in Glasgow each!!!!! They also both had multiple pumpings there as well! 

22 minutes ago, suds66 said:

Far too early for an apology or eating humble pie.

Neilson should have been sacked months back after some of the worst results in the clubs history.

He is still here, has made a reasonable start to the league campaign, major surgery on the playing side and appears to have made some decent signings.

Where we are in a few months will determine if all the Neilson detractors should apologise or not.

I don’t think anyone needs to apologise regardless. It’s football and folks have wildly different views. 

The discussion is only headed one way. With the good work in the transfer market and our big financial advantage, FoH etc, anything below third this season must be considered a failure.

Once we have secured third, we’ve pretty much guaranteed a sustained European campaign, more cash and increase the gap between third and the rest. Onwards and upwards. 

Just now, GinRummy said:

The discussion is only headed one way. With the good work in the transfer market and our big financial advantage, FoH etc, anything below third this season must be considered a failure.

Once we have secured third, we’ve pretty much guaranteed a sustained European campaign, more cash and increase the gap between third and the rest. Onwards and upwards. 

Aye, as easy as that. 😄

If we lose on Sunday I can see this thread becoming redundant very quickly. One bad result, especially against the wee team, can completely change fans' opinion. He has definitely never been forgiven for losing to them in the cup.

FWIW I think we'll win on Sunday.

4 hours ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

The jury is still out for me, although there are encouraging signs, the tactics against Celtic at Parkhead and Aberdeen at home were a worry.

Robbie needs to improve his record against Hibs and in the Cups.  Brora and Alloa were shockers, but we also missed out in the SC Final against the worst Celtic team in 10 years.

Sunday is massive for us and the management.   

This is where I'm at. 

3 hours ago, Deevers said:

The “proof of the pudding” is now how this squad is used and the results that follow. So far so good.  Let’s hope that this continues.

The proof is in the phoodle

Forever Hearts
47 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

This the same Celtic team that scored 12 goals in two games against Dundee and St Mirren while beating AZ Alkmaar 2-0 in between?

If Celtic or Rangers play their best we will lose in Glasgow every single time regardless of tactics, players or manager. Any time we get a result through there it’s because they’re having an off day. 

I'm fully aware that we are never going to win in Glasgow on a regular basis. What I do expect is us to at least have a go and some form of attacking shape about us. 

14 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It’s not just about the money, but it’s about the smart management of that money. 

We had a perceived financial advantage, but much of that budget had already been squandered by previous management and spent on absolutely abject pish players that drained the budget. Eg Berra, Levein gave him a 2 year extension on 4 grand a week. Aidy White, 2 year deal. Damour 4 year deal: Robbie comes in, inherits these guys, what the **** is he supposed to do? Turn back the clock and make berra a good player again? Give aidy white his legs back? So that budget advantage was there, and it does shows in the vast gap at the top of the league table,  but the disadvantage of the squandering of that budget by previous director was also there. For example our back 4 for Brora was Halkett Haring Berra White. Any of them players bought by Neilson or Savage??? So they had that hangover effect to deal with but for some reason its just absolutely ignored

Whereas Celtic, Rangers, they’ve spent big, but for their spend they’ve got Ryan Kent’s, Morelos, Edouard, Abada, the amount they spend, guarantees a certain level of quality on most occasions but also they both spend pretty wisely on guys they know will be comfortable at this level . 

is not the same for any new manager including the Celtic manager whatever his name is?

The jury is still out for me, although there are encouraging signs, the tactics against Celtic at Parkhead and Aberdeen at home were a worry.

Robbie needs to improve his record against Hibs and in the Cups.  Brora and Alloa were shockers, but we also missed out in the SC Final against the worst Celtic team in 10 years.

Pretty much where I’m at

Without Craig Gordon we’d have lost a couple of these games 

The football has been marginally better and the signings APPEAR to be an improvement on what we’re used to last few years but I’m not 100% convinced yet.

Need to see the new signings in action before I’m fully on the happy train.

Kinda on the platform just now 

Perfectly summed up! 👍

16 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

agree. and that level of spending allows you to bring in players who are more consistent at putting in performances at the top of their game. 

with our budget you just don't get that consistency, hence the probability of us (or hibs, aberdeen) getting a result off the ugly sisters is low.  

But once in a while, when all our players click, we can get a result. And boy does it feel all the more sweeter.

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

is not the same for any new manager including the Celtic manager whatever his name is?

Yes it is, but he came into “the worst Celtic team in years” but it has still got the 2nd best quality squad in Scotland comfortably, which under a dreadful manager last season still picked up silverware and 77 points which is 3 points more than we achieved in our best season in the last 35 years in 2006, 74 points. 

18 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Glad you agree Dave. Our financial supremacy going to pay dividends at last. 

I’m not sure we will have financial supremacy this season. 

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’m not sure we will have financial supremacy this season. 

image.jpeg.6fea6dc557a40446b29628d54e9446b4.jpeg

good one Dave. 😂

Edited by GinRummy

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

agree. and that level of spending allows you to bring in players who are more consistent at putting in performances at the top of their game. 

with our budget you just don't get that consistency, hence the probability of us (or hibs, aberdeen) getting a result off the ugly sisters is low.  

But once in a while, when all our players click, we can get a result. And boy does it feel all the more sweeter.

I believe it can be done, it can, with the wind in your sails, and a good helping of luck, some bad signings and injuries for celtic/Rangers, the loss of a good manager. Everything clicking into gear for you, right manager right squad right fixture list. It’s always possible and 1 day a team will do it and overcome them to win the league.

It will happen, it must happen, it has to happen at some point. and when it does it will have been a footballing miracle on a par with Leicester. It is a Mount Everest of football. But to go online  slaughtering your team and manager for not performing miracles is just sad. You’ve always got to be realistic about it 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Gillsland jack said:

Why stop there, with that logic let's go smash mancity, Barca, inter and win the ucl. 

If not manager oot! 

Absolute drivel with no realism, Context or balance. 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I believe it can be done, it can, with the wind in your sails, and a good helping of luck, some bad signings and injuries for celtic/Rangers, the loss of a good manager. Everything clicking into gear for you, right manager right squad right fixture list. It’s always possible and 1 day a team will do it and overcome them to win the league.

It will happen, it must happen, it has to happen at some point. and when it does it will have been a footballing miracle on a par with Leicester. It is a Mount Everest of football. But to go online  slaughtering your team and manager for not performing miracles is just sad. You’ve always got to be realistic about it 

I'm here. 

2 hours ago, Beni said:

I'm here to learn more about this. 👇 

:kirk:

lol due to my lack of knowledge on the internet i just chose the 1st free petition site and started the petition, turns out you didnt have to sign up to the site to sign the petition and you could use any name. After a couple of days doing the rounds on social media Robbie, Ann, Neil lennon, Jamie Walker ect had all signed it lol, even Neil doncaster had signed it haha.

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It’s been a great start but is the apology really necessary? All a bit premature for me and a bit much, if I’m entirely honest. 

I think for me it was necessary mate and not premature, from where we where after the Brora game to where we are now is night and day and to be fair i would berate the man to anyone who would listen, and also to anyone who wouldn't listen. It still could all go tits up for Robbie like many have said but he is a Hearts man through and through and deserves credit for our great start to the season.

Just now, Boyces beard said:

I think for me it was necessary mate and not premature, from where we where after the Brora game to where we are now is night and day and to be fair i would berate the man to anyone who would listen, and also to anyone who wouldn't listen. It still could all go tits up for Robbie like many have said but he is a Hearts man through and through and deserves credit for our great start to the season.

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with a heartfelt post. All a bit soon for me but let’s hope we have a fantastic season.