Jump to content

Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )


Maroon Sailor
 Share

Recommended Posts

Federer dominating now despite his opponent making things tricky in the first set. Still looks good if slightly off pace. Might be age finally catching up with him or  the fact he hasn’t played much because of knee injuries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • neilnunb

    356

  • jonesy

    147

  • I P Knightley

    255

  • JudyJudyJudy

    837

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Impressed by the German boy with the Russian surname. Think he's number 4 seed. 


Yes. He is a future number one and the most likely to take the mantle off of Novak and Nadal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

Impressed with Barty there. Plays a game that isn't big hitting and intimidation instead moving her opponent around, refreshing 

Never watched it but thought it would be a 3 setter 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Andrew Castle not at all popular over Twitter. I avoid the TV commentary and tune into Wimbledon Radio on the official website. I don't need to have shot by shot description when I can see it myself so it's the chat all around it that matters more. The guys on the radio earn their crust, having to have sound going on all the time. They'll be parched today, talking non-stop when there's only two matches playing!

 

Inverdale's a grade A James Hunt but if he wasn't around, we wouldn't have this beauty:

 

 

He certainly is a Wally 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy

Flicking between the footie and this . Marranono serving is a joy to watch , the lefty serve is a beautiful shot ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Andrew Castle not at all popular over Twitter. I avoid the TV commentary and tune into Wimbledon Radio on the official website. I don't need to have shot by shot description when I can see it myself so it's the chat all around it that matters more. The guys on the radio earn their crust, having to have sound going on all the time. They'll be parched today, talking non-stop when there's only two matches playing!

 

Inverdale's a grade A James Hunt but if he wasn't around, we wouldn't have this beauty:

 

 

 

 

🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:


Yes. He is a future number one and the most likely to take the mantle off of Novak and Nadal. 

Seems like a good guy as well. Spoke well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Andrew Castle not at all popular over Twitter. I avoid the TV commentary and tune into Wimbledon Radio on the official website. I don't need to have shot by shot description when I can see it myself so it's the chat all around it that matters more. The guys on the radio earn their crust, having to have sound going on all the time. They'll be parched today, talking non-stop when there's only two matches playing!

 

Inverdale's a grade A James Hunt but if he wasn't around, we wouldn't have this beauty:

 

 

Yes I was wrong in my assessment he’s a plonker , Castle . Apparently made some negative comments about Scotland football team ? I can’t see him on Twitter ? Must have blacked. Me ! 👍👍😂 like George Galloway 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy

Mannarino is a machine today . Like I said that serve is sensational . It’s not like a thumping down the line serve with just power , like Sam Querry or Isner It’s placed so well . It’s effortless really . So stylish  and S

elegant too . Well he is French . 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy

Oh some exquisite touch shots by Fed . He might be back in this . Advice to Mannirno don’t get into rallies 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:


Yes. He is a future number one and the most likely to take the mantle off of Novak and Nadal. 

Zverev should have pushed on 3 years ago and been in at least one slam final just now. I get the feeling he wants to spend a couple of years getting his hole and waiting for Djokovic to retire. Then he'll step up and challenge with Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Thiam, Shapolov and others. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Federer might be getting a let off here. Mannarino looks hurt. 

Edited by AlimOzturk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy

End of an era there . Thanks Serena for the brilliance you have displayed through the years . Sad end to her Wimbledon legacy 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Zverev should have pushed on 3 years ago and been in at least one slam final just now. I get the feeling he wants to spend a couple of years getting his hole and waiting for Djokovic to retire. Then he'll step up and challenge with Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Thiam, Shapolov and others. 

Yes none of the young guns have Mae the break though Yet . They won’t until the big guns retire 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes none of the young guns have Mae the break though Yet . They won’t until the big guns retire 

Thiem only got his slam cos of that diving ham at Flushing Meadows who took a glancing blow from Novak's stray ball.

 

Missus!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes none of the young guns have Mae the break though Yet . They won’t until the big guns retire 


None of them will come close to the class of Fed, Djokovic or Nadal. It seems like those three (with Murray chasing them all the way) just have a different mentality to the current crop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, I P Knightley said:

Thiem only got his slam cos of that diving ham at Flushing Meadows who took a glancing blow from Novak's stray ball.

 

Missus!!

Yep ! Btw What has happened to him ? Never heard about him in some time pardon the pun 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:


None of them will come close to the class of Fed, Djokovic or Nadal. It seems like those three (with Murray chasing them all the way) just have a different mentality to the current crop. 

👍

2 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

That's a bummer re Serena. Personally think she deserved to get to 24 but looking beyond her now.

Me too . She deserved it but her great legacy will live on . One last chance on her home territory at Flushing meadows just before her 40th birthday , incredibly . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

That's a bummer re Serena. Personally think she deserved to get to 24 but looking beyond her now.

Margaret court only won 24 as many of the top players refused to travel to Australia in the 1960s therefore had little competition In her 12 Aussie opens ( think it was around 12 ) can’t be arsed looking it up . Her personal beliefs leave a lot to be desired too . Bit of a mad religious zealot now it seems . Too  young to have seen her play but have seen the greats in their prime such as Martina , Chris , Graf , Hingis and Seles . It’s really the end of an era now as she was a real character and women’s tennis needs characters . Unsure of who will be the next big thing really . They all seem inter changeable now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Serena will go down as the best female tennis player of all time. Was watching a discussion earlier with McEnroe on a panel and he said that exact same thing. Best “female” player of all time. Women panellist asks him why he didn’t just refer to her as a tennis player and he turned and said “sorry she wouldn’t even make the top 700 in the male tour”😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep ! Btw What has happened to him ? Never heard about him in some time pardon the pun 

I'm pretty sure he withdrew with injury. 

 

Just checked. He's been watching Laura Robson highlight reels and has a wrist injury. 

 

Happens to the best. 

Edited by I P Knightley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Serena will go down as the best female tennis player of all time. Was watching a discussion earlier with McEnroe on a panel and he said that exact same thing. Best “female” player of all time. Women panellist asks him why he didn’t just refer to her as a tennis player and he turned and said “sorry she wouldn’t even make the top 700 in the male tour”😂

He’s right on both counts . However till insist Monica Seles might have been ? However  Serena has proven herself great at all the slams . Won a couple French but that’s path the  course as most of the greats have only won that a few times apart from the clay court specialists like Evert , Nadal . Borg being the exception to the rule 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Margaret court only won 24 as many of the top players refused to travel to Australia in the 1960s therefore had little competition In her 12 Aussie opens ( think it was around 12 ) can’t be arsed looking it up . Her personal beliefs leave a lot to be desired too . Bit of a mad religious zealot now it seems . Too  young to have seen her play but have seen the greats in their prime such as Martina , Chris , Graf , Hingis and Seles . It’s really the end of an era now as she was a real character and women’s tennis needs characters . Unsure of who will be the next big thing really . They all seem inter changeable now 

 

 

Yep, that's why I wanted Serena to at least equal Court. Imo she is the greatest ever but it would have been nice to see her top of the pile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

 

 

Yep, that's why I wanted Serena to at least equal Court. Imo she is the greatest ever but it would have been nice to see her top of the pile.

👍👍👍I think most tennis commentators consider her the greatest but as you say would have been nice if she had got to at least equal the 24 . It’s a record unlikely to be broken for a very long time now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, sadj said:

Whos the lass between Pat Cash and her that does the horses

marion bartoli i think.

the one john inverdale said "wasn`t a looker"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Margaret Court cracking open the champagne again.

And getting pissed and mumbling incoherently about gays and sins of the flesh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Margaret Court cracking open the champagne again.

😂

49 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And getting pissed and mumbling incoherently about gays and sins of the flesh. 

I know she’s a vile boot really 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tedarmy said:

marion bartoli i think.

the one john inverdale said "wasn`t a looker"

Haha not a looker 😵💫 though i did think isnt that the mum in the dolmio adds when i read her name 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, sadj said:

Haha not a looker 😵💫 though i did think isnt that the mum in the dolmio adds when i read her name 

To be fair she did manage to get a bit of a glamorous make over after her Wimbledon win . Still can’t believe she won it actually as she seemed to win deck all . Very unusual . She seems a nice person and is a intelligent commentator 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kyrgios somewhere between showman, spoilt brat and tragic story here, often within the same game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Margaret Court cracking open the champagne again.

as long as it does not come from a LGBT+ vineyard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Kyrgios somewhere between showman, spoilt brat and tragic story here, often within the same game.

 

Back tomorrow. 

 

Have to stop 11pm in case neighbours in London complain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, milky_26 said:

as long as it does not come from a LGBT+ vineyard

Is happily piss in the bottle but she might like that 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy

Actually re read Courts achievements and they were impressive never the less . Double grand slams . Record still skewered with 11 Aussie opens but impressive 5 Wimbledon’s 5 US Opens and 3 French . Still a vile bigoted mad boot though . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Kyrgios somewhere between showman, spoilt brat and tragic story here, often within the same game.

Yep that’s him a clown really but has a personality I suppose . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Serena will go down as the best female tennis player of all time. Was watching a discussion earlier with McEnroe on a panel and he said that exact same thing. Best “female” player of all time. Women panellist asks him why he didn’t just refer to her as a tennis player and he turned and said “sorry she wouldn’t even make the top 700 in the male tour”😂


I remember back early the early 2000s the Williams sister said they could compete on the men’s tour. They played some guy outside the top 200/300 I think and both got pumped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Chaps said:


I remember back early the early 2000s the Williams sister said they could compete on the men’s tour. They played some guy outside the top 200/300 I think and both got pumped.

If it's the match I'm thinking of, the guy turned up with a hangover and was smoking at change overs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Go on Margaret, Cannae have a bloke taking your great record.

Pathetic comment from the so called all inclusive/ equalities and diversities minister  mr nice guy in What might be an independent Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿Mind you not at all surprising 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
18 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I think he made the draw based on his own ranking. He's just outside the top 100. I know there's a handful of wildcards and qualifiers from outside the top 128 but, with all the dropouts and injuries in the top 100, I think Murray didn't need to rely on a WC this year.

This is shite. Don't know what you're talking about, A-hole!

 

Murray has the letters "WC" next to his name in the draw. ATP ranking 118 so he ought to have been in under his own steam but I guess the AELTC wanted to make sure of the attention and revenue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy

Matches to watch out for today 

 

Norrie v Pouille ( to finish ) 

 

Verdasco v Dimitrov ( never reakky fullfilled his potential ) 
 

Kyrios v Humbert ( to finish ) 

 

Evans v Lajovic

 

Otte v Murray 

 

Cornet v Andrescuu 

 

Vondrousova v Kontaviet 

 

Swiatak v Zvonereva 

 

Ahn v Stephens 
 

Pliskova v Vekic ( could be close ) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy

Berretinni on fire today against Pella . Some lovely wee drop shots and baseline ground strokes hitting the tram lines ! Here’s a pic of him Doimg his best ‘Derek Zoolander impersonation 😂  


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5DB6DB8C-5507-4427-82D6-33E25952F2A4.jpeg

 

Edited by JamesM48
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Matches to watch out for today 

 

Norrie v Pouille ( to finish ) 

 

Verdasco v Dimitrov ( never reakky fullfilled his potential ) 
 

Kyrios v Humbert ( to finish ) 

 

Evans v Lajovic

 

Otte v Murray 

 

Cornet v Andrescuu 

 

Vondrousova v Kontaviet 

 

Swiatak v Zvonereva 

 

Ahn v Stephens 
 

Pliskova v Vekic ( could be close ) 

Norrie's a good Jock and very probably a Jambo. He may not realise this but it's my reason for rooting for him.

 

Dimitrov = top shagger. I've put Zverev in the same category but hope he'll prove me wrong.

 

I didn't get to see any of the Kyrgios match yesterday but will tune in to see how he closes it out. Radio chat suggested that he's blowing hot & cold from game to game.

 

Your boy Berretini is my bet to challenge Djoko for the title. Nice semifinal with Medvedev lined up in that half of the draw. Also just noticed that Federer's next match is with Richard Gasquet - two magnificent single-handed backhands against each other. I better get a spare pair of pants.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Norrie's a good Jock and very probably a Jambo. He may not realise this but it's my reason for rooting for him.

 

Dimitrov = top shagger. I've put Zverev in the same category but hope he'll prove me wrong.

 

I didn't get to see any of the Kyrgios match yesterday but will tune in to see how he closes it out. Radio chat suggested that he's blowing hot & cold from game to game.

 

Your boy Berretini is my bet to challenge Djoko for the title. Nice semifinal with Medvedev lined up in that half of the draw. Also just noticed that Federer's next match is with Richard Gasquet - two magnificent single-handed backhands against each other. I better get a spare pair of pants.

 

Not really seen much of Norrie so ne interesting to see how he gets on . Yes Dimitrov should have concentrated more on his tennis than sh***g ! He nighy have been a contender . Kyrgios match on later . He’s a real character but Wally at times . Yes have a soft spot for Berretinni as he’s a Rome lad , ( I’ve been To Rome countless times ) . Yes Federer and Gasquet will be a very stylish  affair , drops shots a plenty and other classy shots in particular from Gasquet who always performs well at Wimbledon . He must be a good age now as he seems to have been around a while . Andrescuu getting hammered just now by thst other very stylish French player Alize Cornet . Ranking and other slams really go out the window at Wimbledon as some players can never adapt to it . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Berretinni on fire today against Pella . Some lovely wee drop shots and baseline ground strokes hitting the tram lines ! Here’s a pic of him Doimg his best ‘Derek Zoolander impersonation 😂  


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5DB6DB8C-5507-4427-82D6-33E25952F2A4.jpeg

 

🤣 Blue Steel. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • davemclaren changed the title to Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...