Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, redjambo said:

As a naturally scruffy-looking person, I say "Scruffs of the world, untie!"

Dont take this the wrong way but I i imagined you being scruffy :) 

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Dont take this the wrong way but I i imagined you being scruffy :) 

:D I do scrub up well when I need to though.

rudi must stay

Sinner deserved to win. Medvedev reminds me ABIT of Andy Murray pre Lendel. His game is based on defence. Good for the stats board but in tennis to win these tournaments you must attack

JudyJudyJudy
41 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:D I do scrub up well when I need to though.

IMG_4016.gif

Nookie Bear
20 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Meddlers making his own history. The first player to be 2 sets to love up in a grand slam final - twice - and to lose. That and his hair; he has to be feeling bad.

Meanwhile, Sinner reopens the debate of who's the greatest sporting ginger. Probably close between Jannik Sinner and Liam Boyce but some will, no doubt, argue for Ben Stokes out of the cricket.

Eddie The Eagle?

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Eddie The Eagle?

Any excuse to post this fine piece of cinematography again. 

eddie-screengrab.jpg

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Any excuse to post this fine piece of cinematography again. 

eddie-screengrab.jpg

Silly question but is that from the film and why have they taken the trouble to honour our mighty victory?

Mikey1874
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Silly question but is that from the film and why have they taken the trouble to honour our mighty victory?

It is from the film. Not sure if we know the exact reason.

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yup - genuinely from the film. 

I'm not sure whether it was someone on set design who thought it would be cool to hang those two shirts up. The film was directed by the (English) chap who did the Sunshine on Leith movie. Perhaps having to spend time with the Reid brothers on the set of that one brought out a natural aversion and he felt that hanging the shirts up would help cleanse his soul. 

Luckies1874

Andy Murray not taking any pish from Kheradine Idessane on X. Andy Roddick chiming in too! 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Andy Murray not taking any pish from Kheradine Idessane on X. Andy Roddick chiming in too! 

ooft, big hit 

Jim_Duncan
1 hour ago, Luckies1874 said:

That's why Andy Murray has major titles, Olympic medals and a host of other accolades. Kheredine Iddesane, like most sports 'journalists', follows him around like the proverbial seagull following the trawler.

rudi must stay
13 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

That's why Andy Murray has major titles, Olympic medals and a host of other accolades. Kheredine Iddesane, like most sports 'journalists', follows him around like the proverbial seagull following the trawler.

As I've read he is too arrogant to retire. I agree with that. 

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

That's quite the take on it.

Andy Murray's got the strongest, most dogged fighting mentality of any sportsman out there. He's not going to put all the effort that he has into his latest recovery and then just jack it in because some journo (who's previously been a massive fanboy) has written that he might be "tarnishing his legacy" by losing a few matches. It's not as though he's going half-arsed into these matches or getting himself pumped by some no-mark. He senses he's maybe fractions away from turning those losses into wins and, given his 'legacy', he should be allowed the chance to do so. He's only just slipping out of the top 50 in the rankings; it's not like he's down there among the deadbeats and glue factory candidates. 

I'd love to see him play well and win a few matches but suspect that he'll get to a point later in the year where he accepts it's time to draw a line under his competitive career. 

I've no idea how anyone could be too arrogant to retire but, given the number of times you've 'retired' from JKB, I'll yield to your greater experience on that one. 

On 29/01/2024 at 09:35, Nookie Bear said:

Eddie The Eagle?

Boris Becker

2 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

He retired before. So yer talking pish.

17 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

What's ARod saying, bud? Im not on X

Luckies1874
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

What's ARod saying, bud? Im not on X

rudi must stay
32 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Andy Murray's got the strongest, most dogged fighting mentality of any sportsman out there. He's not going to put all the effort that he has into his latest recovery and then just jack it in because some journo (who's previously been a massive fanboy) has written that he might be "tarnishing his legacy" by losing a few matches. It's not as though he's going half-arsed into these matches or getting himself pumped by some no-mark. He senses he's maybe fractions away from turning those losses into wins and, given his 'legacy', he should be allowed the chance to do so. He's only just slipping out of the top 50 in the rankings; it's not like he's down there among the deadbeats and glue factory candidates. 

I'd love to see him play well and win a few matches but suspect that he'll get to a point later in the year where he accepts it's time to draw a line under his competitive career. 

I've no idea how anyone could be too arrogant to retire but, given the number of times you've 'retired' from JKB, I'll yield to your greater experience on that one. 

Haha fair enough. Murray is too arrogant in my opinion. His brand of tennis is over the young guys go for winners and hit big he loses to all of them not even the good ones. He should look at things from other people's views, he is tarnishing his legacy in my opinion

rudi must stay
11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

He retired before. So yer talking pish.

He retired before and should again sad to see him tarnish his good name 

rudi must stay
38 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Maybe arrogant is the wrong word. Deluded is the right word 

Jim_Duncan
8 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Maybe arrogant is the wrong word. Deluded is the right word 

Projection, eh!

rudi must stay
51 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

As for him being a great fighter yes 10 years ago now he plays anyone he gets beat 

Nookie Bear

Federer retired 4 years after his last grand slam victory. I don’t see his legacy being tarnished in any way. 

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Federer retired 4 years after his last grand slam victory. I don’t see his legacy being tarnished in any way. 

Cos he still goes deep in tournaments 

ArcticJambo

Tell you what gets my goat, is the media continuing to fawn over him whenever there's tennis on the sports news, like who.gives.a.***! He's done, a has been, get over it lads and lasses. It's tedious now, drop his name.  And to boot, everytime another tennis tournament comes along a take bets with myself as to when Emma's name will be mentioned, usually immediately with .... out in the first round.

He's a boring ***** anyway!

Edited by ArcticJambo

Malinga the Swinga

Murray is Scotland's greatest ever sports people, in my opinion, and one of GB's as well.

He knows more about tennis than Kheredine ever will and if he wants to carry on playing, that's good enough for me.

He will know when it's time to quit and he can do so with his head held high.

rudi must stay
4 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Murray is Scotland's greatest ever sports people, in my opinion, and one of GB's as well.

He knows more about tennis than Kheredine ever will and if he wants to carry on playing, that's good enough for me.

He will know when it's time to quit and he can do so with his head held high.

Can he **** he's losing to nobodies every tournament. All he does is bring people to the net then hit it over them. He's overachieved in tennis 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Can he **** he's losing to nobodies every tournament. All he does is bring people to the net then hit it over them. He's overachieved in tennis 

he’s had a stellar career. Should have quit a couple of years ago but his call. It won’t be long now though 

rudi must stay
Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

he’s had a stellar career. Should have quit a couple of years ago but his call. It won’t be long now though 

Maybe Wimbledon will be his last tournament 

Nookie Bear
13 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

Grigor Dimitrov (ranked 13) in Brisbane and Etcheverry (ranked 28) in The Aussie Open are not nobodies.

Losing to Benoit Paire is not great though.

JudyJudyJudy

I know he has had an outstanding career but I could never warm to him . I abhor his on court demeanour , he looks miserable as feck , moans and groans all the way through a match , it’s like he isn’t enjoying himself , snap , neither is the crowd 

PortyJambo
46 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Losing to Benoit Paire is not great though.

Yeah, he's the player who infamously has been fined his game cheque a few times for not even trying to win. To be fair, he is a talented tennis player and, if he can be bothered, he's very capable of beating some of the top players.

I guess the 2nd version of him turned up for the match against Murray, at least in the final two sets anyway.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Meloni=😘

Is Sinner Lega Nord or something?

You right  wing , tufton street , milf lover ! 

PortyJambo

Decent victory for Raducanu in the 1st round of the Abu Dhabi WTA500 event, beating a top 40 player Bouzkava 6-4, 6-1. Plays Ons Jabeur in the 2nd round next.

Abu Dhabi CanDoo...

Jim_Duncan
On 01/02/2024 at 16:09, JudyJudyJudy said:

You right  wing , tufton street , milf lover ! 

Stop complimenting me. I’ll blush. 

JudyJudyJudy
33 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Stop complimenting me. I’ll blush. 

R (3).gif

Day@theraces
On 01/02/2024 at 09:40, JudyJudyJudy said:

I know he has had an outstanding career but I could never warm to him . I abhor his on court demeanour , he looks miserable as feck , moans and groans all the way through a match , it’s like he isn’t enjoying himself , snap , neither is the crowd 

Yet no one fellow professional has a bad word to say about him. Our greatest sportsman alongside Jim Clark. Who held his own and achieved success in the best era tennis has produced. Dour sod on court, but by all accounts a funny genuine fella off court.

34 minutes ago, Day@theraces said:

Yet no one fellow professional has a bad word to say about him. Our greatest sportsman alongside Jim Clark. Who held his own and achieved success in the best era tennis has produced. Dour sod on court, but by all accounts a funny genuine fella off court.

How can someone be ‘our greatest sportsman’ if they are ‘alongside’ another one?  🤷🏿‍♂️

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Day@theraces said:

Yes he’s fine off court . Watched the documentary about him and he came over very well . I just don’t like him on court . 

Day@theraces
3 hours ago, Morgan said:

How can someone be ‘our greatest sportsman’ if they are ‘alongside’ another one?  🤷🏿‍♂️

Forgot to put one of instead of our. You are obviously on one of your rants again. Honestly new to this forum but you obviously have issues Morgan and hope you sort them out.

Nookie Bear
On 01/02/2024 at 09:40, JudyJudyJudy said:

Tennis fans admire his ability, effort, will to win and raw aggression.

Nookie Bear
11 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes he’s fine off court . Watched the documentary about him and he came over very well . I just don’t like him on court . 

I suspect he will want to take a hands-on role in tennis when he retires. He clearly cares a lot about the other players and will want to represent them.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I suspect he will want to take a hands-on role in tennis when he retires. He clearly cares a lot about the other players and will want to represent them.

I think you're right. He's very good/supportive with the younger up & comers at the National Tennis Centre when he's there. Liam Broady has expressed appreciation that Murray put him up in his Florida digs during warm weather pre-season; Murray knowing only too well how difficult it is for players outside the top 32-64 to make enough money to stay on tour.