2021 FA Cup Final. Chelsea v Leicester City. This Saturday, 15th May.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Maroon Sailor

• Francis Albert

• neilnunb

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, Taffin said:

??

Why would the referee not disallow an offside goal for offside?  And there was nothing wrong with the Leicester goal either.  As I said, rules are rules. 

John Findlay
Just now, Francis Albert said:

Not a fan of Lineker but he is showing he is a real fan.

He's a Leicester lad through and through.

colinmaroon
15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What a joke. Let a handball go for the Leicester goal to then rule that out.

The ball came of his thigh and instantly hit his arm, the current laws say that is NOT a foul.

Said offside when I saw first replay before VAR.  He was offside!

Not much of a joke!

Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

Why would the referee not disallow an offside goal for offside?  And there was nothing wrong with the Leicester goal either.  As I said, rules are rules. 

Because it's so tight that VAR can't really be sure he's offside and because there was a handball that led to the Leicester goal.

4 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Tears in the chairman's eyes, thinking perhaps of his father and also they are fans.

This is how to run a football club, understanding the fans and, while I did not like the Lizard, he is a manager.  Even when forced back still playing football and, as for Vardy, he must have run twice as far as anyone else.

Vardy always thinks every ball played through is his.

Saint Jambo
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That save by Schmeichel was one of the best ever. 

Agreed. Amazing save. Even having reacted to get to it, he could easily have failed to keep it out.

2 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Great for Leicester but adds further justification for the offside rule to be changed.

If any part of the body (you can score with) is onside, the flag should remain down. 90% of the player could be off but as long as part of them is onside, all should be good. 

I think the issue is that we now effectively need different offside rules for games that have VAR and games that don't. Agree with your change when there is VAR and the rules can be applied consistently and accurately. Without VAR I think the rules are ok as otherwise you'd end up with too many players getting to run through one-on-one having been wrongly judged to be onside.

Potentially same issue with the handball rule, where I think the current rules are too hard for the ref to apply without the assistance of VAR. Although in the case of the handball rule, the current rules are generally problematic.

Well done Leicester. You have to admit that Brendan Rodgers has done a good job.

5 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

The ball came of his thigh and instantly hit his arm, the current laws say that is NOT a foul.

Not much of a joke!

Fair enough about the handball. Still don't agree about the offside...though it's far from the only one that's happened since VAR was introduced.

Though I've just had a look at the handball rule and it says 'except for the above offences' before the stuff about it coming off your own body which suggests that the above offences' are still offences regardless.

Edit:

It is an offence if a player

deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball

scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

after the ball has touched their or a team-mate’s hand/arm, even if accidental, immediately:

scores in the opponents’ goal

creates a goal-scoring opportunity

touches the ball with their hand/arm when:

the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger

the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm

The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)

Edited by Taffin

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, colinmaroon said:

Not much of a joke!

Yes, I thought it was offside before they drew the lines in - it was very marginal but was definitely offside and there has been several closer, more controversial ones in England this season.  

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Var is not the problem, the current offside rule needs changed 

4 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

He's a Leicester lad through and through.

And donated a decent lump of cash when they were in trouble a few years back. 

Arthur Morgan
15 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Great for Leicester but adds further justification for the offside rule to be changed.

If any part of the body (you can score with) is onside, the flag should remain down. 90% of the player could be off but as long as part of them is onside, all should be good. 

Yeah I agree.

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And donated a decent lump of cash when they were in trouble a few years back. 

I met him in 87 when he was at Barcelona. Our ship was in Tarragona and 50 of us went up to Barcelona and the camp nou. Lineker heard there was 50 British sailors on a tour and came out after training to speak with us and have a group photo taken with us. He is a nice fella.

Edited by John Findlay

colinmaroon

Even though this is the Cup, this is the kind of achievement and joy that the Super League vampires want to destroy.

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, sassenach said:

Disagree, I'm afraid. VAR is meant to eliminate obvious errors, not take the place of the referee.  If a call is marginal, the referee's decision should stand, whether right or wrong, because it isn't an obvious error.

100 per cent this

Pasquale for King
24 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

VAR MVP for Leicester.

It’s not the Super Bowl 😆

The image they keep showing of the offside, it's quite clear a frame or two after Silva first plays the ball. Which is why it's a mockery and not as black and white as they may like.

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

The image they keep showing of the offside, it's quite clear a frame or two after Silva first plays the ball. Which is why it's a mockery and not as black and white as they may like.

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Var is not the problem, the current offside rule needs changed 

Agreed

30 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Offside!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Brilliant celebration by the Chelsea players. 

Relative to other VAR decisions that was a clear offside. 

In the end though not the best game, the goal, the 2 saves and the offside are as much incident as you'll see in most games. 

Footballfirst
22 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

That's fair enough, but I think it would be even more difficult to judge for the officials (without VAR), but if VAR is used all you would be doing is changing the reference line.  There would still be the same number of tight calls. Were the players overlapping or not?

Tommy Brown
26 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Onside is onside

offside is offside

MM’s,CM’s or inches makes no difference.

How can you accuratly decide when the ball has been played.

That can make a huge difference when we are seeing players off by mm.

Helped the result i wanted this time, but dont like it.

Arthur Morgan
28 minutes ago, andythejambo said:

Well - my crystal ball was spot on !!🇱🇻

Tbf you didn't actually predict they would win 😅

Fozzyonthefence
7 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Disagree, I'm afraid. VAR is meant to eliminate obvious errors, not take the place of the referee.  If a call is marginal, the referee's decision should stand, whether right or wrong, because it isn't an obvious error.

For fouls / penalties which are often subjective, yes, but not for offsides. The clear and obvious error doesn’t apply to offside decisions because it is either offside or it is onside, there is no referee interpretation on offsides.  Same as whether the ball goes over the goal line or not -  VAR is there to make sure these offside or goal line decisions are spot on, rather than relying on the referee or assistant’s eye.

south morocco
26 minutes ago, Gambo said:

A club owned by people who know football and who get the fans.

A rare thing nowadays, well

don Leicester 

Samuel Camazzola
17 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Agreed. Amazing save. Even having reacted to get to it, he could easily have failed to keep it out.

I think the issue is that we now effectively need different offside rules for games that have VAR and games that don't. Agree with your change when there is VAR and the rules can be applied consistently and accurately. Without VAR I think the rules are ok as otherwise you'd end up with too many players getting to run through one-on-one having been wrongly judged to be onside.

Potentially same issue with the handball rule, where I think the current rules are too hard for the ref to apply without the assistance of VAR. Although in the case of the handball rule, the current rules are generally problematic.

Well done Leicester. You have to admit that Brendan Rodgers has done a good job.

I have the opposite view and think it would make 'linesmen's' calls easier. 

I believe Arsene Wenger has proposed something similar to IFAB as part of a host of improvements so we may see some modifications in the coming seasons. 

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

For fouls / penalties which are often subjective, yes, but not for offsides. The clear and obvious error doesn’t apply to offside decisions because it is either offside or it is onside, there is no referee interpretation on offsides.  Same as whether the ball goes over the goal line or not -  VAR is there to make sure these offside or goal line decisions are spot on, rather than relying on the referee or assistant’s eye.

If you need to draw lines to work out if someone is offside then there is a problem

Keep it clear and obvious and ban the drawing of lines 

7 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

When do you pause the video? That's also subjective due to the frame rate. It's not like the GDS. It's also not VAR that decides whether the ball crossed the line or not.

Edited by Taffin

Fozzyonthefence
1 minute ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If you need to draw lines to work out if someone is offside then there is a problem

Keep it clear and obvious and ban the drawing of lines 

As others have posted, it’s the offside rule that needs changed. Using VAR for offsides is not the problem and has resulted in far less incorrect offside decisions this season in England. VAR should get it spot on every time whereas the assistant refs will get lots wrong.  Celebrating a goal then having a 2 or 3 minute delay to chop it off though is shite!

I don’t agree with someone being offside for leaning forward when the 2 players feet are in line but that is currently the rule. 

31 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Yep, still needed strong wrists to get that away. Maybe even better than his auld man's save vs. Rapid Vienna. 

Holyrood_Hearts

Delighted for the Leicester owners & Rodgers. Cracking goal as well. 

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

When do you pause the video? That's also subjective due to the frame rate. It's not like the GDS. It's also not VAR that decides whether the ball crossed the line or not.

When the pass is made, it shouldn’t be subjective either. 

Goal line technology then, same thing though - it’s there to make sure the refs can’t get these decisions wrong, unlike penalties, red cards, etc which are open to referee interpretation and VAR should only overturn he ref’s decision when it’s a clear and obvious error. 

I’d be amazed if they don’t tinker with the rules again over the summer though. 

12 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Goal line technology then, same thing though - it’s there to make sure the refs can’t get these decisions wrong, unlike penalties, red cards, etc which are open to referee interpretation and VAR should only overturn he ref’s decision when it’s a clear and obvious error. 

I’d be amazed if they don’t tinker with the rules again over the summer though. 

It shouldn't be subjective but it is. Look at the still of the offside, the ball was played prior to that frame as it's already starting to come off his boot there. It's fractional and maybe the frame before is before he's hit the ball and the initial contact is somewhere between the two. That's the issue, the technology isn't there, how do we know that moment in time is precisely when Silva first made contact with the ball? We don't.

Goal line technology is foolproof (as long as they've remembered to turn it on!!) In comparison.

Edited by Taffin

Footballfirst
15 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Using the frame closest to the point when contact is made isn't particularly accurate, even at 50 frames per second as commonly used for TV coverage.

If a sprinter can cover 100m in 10 seconds, then he covers an average 20cm in 1/50th of a second. Even a footballer or ball moving at half that speed would cover 10cm. If the attacker and last defender were both moving in opposite directions then the distance per frame would be greater. 

For that reason, I would use the equivalent of cricket's "umpire's call".  If the offside call is less than 10cm between the attacker and defender, then you stick with the on-field on/offside decision.

Edited by Footballfirst

To sum up

A pretty average final lit up by a fantastic winning goal, 2 excellent saves and a bit of controversy from VAR re the disallowed equaliser

Lots of huffing and puffing without the quality that was hoped for

Both teams will do it all again in midweek and although no cup involved the prize could be even greater certainly in terms of finance.

Edited by CJGJ

35 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

Well done Leicester , girfuy chelsea😀

:greggy:  

50 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

As others have posted, it’s the offside rule that needs changed. Using VAR for offsides is not the problem and has resulted in far less incorrect offside decisions this season in England. VAR should get it spot on every time whereas the assistant refs will get lots wrong.  Celebrating a goal then having a 2 or 3 minute delay to chop it off though is shite!

I don’t agree with someone being offside for leaning forward when the 2 players feet are in line but that is currently the rule. 

To me it should be simple if its like that it should be foot position. Nice and simple.

been here before

Caught the last half hour or so. A magnificent goal and 2 world class saves from Schmeichel that his old man would be truly proud of.

Linekers a bit of a dick at times but his reaction to the goal and having to ask Shearer to take over from him at full time was real emotion.

Great times for Leicester just now. What a time to be a Fox.

Edited by been here before