• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Pasquale for King

• Thomaso

• Libertarian

To improve Tynecastle and make it fit for the Champions of Scotland …

Strategically;

The pitch needs to expand North and West.

The Main Stand needs to be extended North.

The Wheatfield Stand needs to be moved West and extended North.

The School End (Roseburn Stand) needs to be moved North.

Then all Stands need to be connected (fill in the corners!!) 

Only then will Tynecastle be fit for the

Champions, ‘fit for the future’ and fully UEFA compliant!

NB Alas I fear the sale old Tynecastle High School and subsequent planning approval for the development of the site makes Tynecastle Park unsuitable for development in the long term. How long? Depends how quickly the club grows, best case 15 years more realistically 25 years, worst case never!

PS what I hope is that as a club we outgrow Tynecastle (unless it can be expanded). Is it possible? Never say never!!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

Edited by Jambo-Fox

What’s the right gradient for areas fitted with rail seats?
The Green Guide recommends that the gradient of the viewing deck for a standing
area does not exceed 25 degrees and for a seated area is no more than 34 degrees.

7 hours ago, john thomas said:

I have no point whatsoever you humourless person

Right. No point then…& then you make a point. OK. Its maybe your attempt at humour was just pish patter mate 🤷‍♂️

15 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Roseburn for Robbo so Hibs have to look at his name on their ticket every time they come 

Robertson 27 stand.

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Right. No point then…& then you make a point. OK. Its maybe your attempt at humour was just pish patter mate 🤷‍♂️

Nope unnecessary nippy responses are much more pishier than mild (even pathetic) attempts at humour

9 hours ago, Dunks said:

area does not exceed 25 degrees and for a seated area is no more than 34 degrees.

That seems quite an issue to resolve if we did want to put in a standing area. 

Did Celtic not change their compost corner to standing?

Does anyone know the gradients there.

Ther pretty steep imo, certainly not massively from Tynecastle. 

Always feel when these regs are challenged, dispensations get awarded.

7 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Did Celtic not change their compost corner to standing?

Does anyone know the gradients there.

Ther pretty steep imo, certainly not massively from Tynecastle. 

Always feel when these regs are challenged, dispensations get awarded.

I know what you mean but the differences aren’t small. 

9 hours ago, Dunks said:

Worth a watch.

Rail seats are considered safer by the green guide. 

Byyy The Light
36 minutes ago, I.T.K said:

Worth a watch.

Cheers for that. I'm all for it. Hopefully stuff like this will see it become more widespread

2 hours ago, john thomas said:

Nope unnecessary nippy responses are much more pishier than mild (even pathetic) attempts at humour

:clap: How about sarcasm? 

On 09/09/2021 at 11:43, Libertarian said:

Sell Tynecastle & relocate to a site which allows expansion with a 35,000 seater stadium.

Build it and they will come.

Can we put the new stand on the back of a lorry and set it down somewhere else?  Otherwise it would be some sort of record for a team investing significant money in their stadium just to **** offski after a couple of years.

We only get full stadiums against a handful of teams.  A 35,000 seater stadium against Dundee or Kilmarnock is an absolute waste of time, especially if the stadium is located on the outskirts of nowhere.  I do not want Hearts anywhere near a soulless Legodrome that has no history, no character, and no originality, just looking like the exact same as everything else that is built the same way.  Tynecastle is special, and just about everyone that visits says the same thing about it. 

One of my football-mad Dutch pals came with me to a game a couple of years ago, when we were just about to start pulling the main stand down, and stood on the concourse in disbelief.  He looked like he was going to cry, he couldn't believe how tight the stands were to the pitch, and how on top of the players we were.  Ever since that game, he still texts me about the results and buys a Hearts shirt every year even though he's back in the Netherlands.  That's what Tynecastle does to people, and we just will never re-create that somewhere else.

I'm sure we could be creative with the space we have, or possibly look to expand if and when it becomes necessary in the future.

18 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Can we put the new stand on the back of a lorry and set it down somewhere else?  Otherwise it would be some sort of record for a team investing significant money in their stadium just to **** offski after a couple of years.

We only get full stadiums against a handful of teams.  A 35,000 seater stadium against Dundee or Kilmarnock is an absolute waste of time, especially if the stadium is located on the outskirts of nowhere.  I do not want Hearts anywhere near a soulless Legodrome that has no history, no character, and no originality, just looking like the exact same as everything else that is built the same way.  Tynecastle is special, and just about everyone that visits says the same thing about it. 

One of my football-mad Dutch pals came with me to a game a couple of years ago, when we were just about to start pulling the main stand down, and stood on the concourse in disbelief.  He looked like he was going to cry, he couldn't believe how tight the stands were to the pitch, and how on top of the players we were.  Ever since that game, he still texts me about the results and buys a Hearts shirt every year even though he's back in the Netherlands.  That's what Tynecastle does to people, and we just will never re-create that somewhere else.

I'm sure we could be creative with the space we have, or possibly look to expand if and when it becomes necessary in the future.

Don't be ridiculous... how would you drive it down the street! No, what you need is a strong helicopter to lift it out the ground and set it, gently, on a new patch of land. 👍

Seriously though, the closeness to the pitch and steepness of the stands is what makes our ground and atmosphere, unique - I totally get where you and your friend are coming from. If we were to re-locate... I really don't think we could re-create the feeling we get now on a match day. Like you say, visiting players and fans that come to Tynie all say the same thing - one of the best atmospheres you can get. Just goes to show, you don't need 50, 60, 70k fans to get a fantastic match day feeling!

5 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Don't be ridiculous... how would you drive it down the street! No, what you need is a strong helicopter to lift it out the ground and set it, gently, on a new patch of land. 👍

Seriously though, the closeness to the pitch and steepness of the stands is what makes our ground and atmosphere, unique - I totally get where you and your friend are coming from. If we were to re-locate... I really don't think we could re-create the feeling we get now on a match day. Like you say, visiting players and fans that come to Tynie all say the same thing - one of the best atmospheres you can get. Just goes to show, you don't need 50, 60, 70k fans to get a fantastic match day feeling!

In addition to stadium architecture, the location is so important as regards atmosphere and match-day feeling. Many of our fans do travel, but they're travelling to a city centre location and therefore get much the same build-up as fortunates like myself who can stroll it from home. The proximity of the pubs & businesses, the gradual increase in bodies as you approach and all of that stuff. You needn't go further than Falkirk to see how rotten it is having an isolated stadium with nowt other than a car park and an industrial estate to give atmosphere!

1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

In addition to stadium architecture, the location is so important as regards atmosphere and match-day feeling. Many of our fans do travel, but they're travelling to a city centre location and therefore get much the same build-up as fortunates like myself who can stroll it from home. The proximity of the pubs & businesses, the gradual increase in bodies as you approach and all of that stuff. You needn't go further than Falkirk to see how rotten it is having an isolated stadium with nowt other than a car park and an industrial estate to give atmosphere!

Very true👍

1 hour ago, ericb said:

Them that had the first floodlights have those now, forever in their shadow 🤣

They are installing the screens in the big gap between the stands at quite a low height (either end of the E(B)east stand).  That's just asking for a ball to be booted at them.  You know what to do Gordon.  :) 

5 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

😊

...are you ITK regarding screens at Tynie? 🤔

...to change the subject slightly, I'm in the new stand and noticed (during the Aberdeen game) that the digital clock (which was at the Roseburn stand) is now missing. After watching the game again on Tv, I noticed it's now at the edge of the pitch at the base of the new stand... which I cannae see! Surely we can afford a couple of digi-clocks? Cannae be bothered to take my 👀 off the action to look at my watch!

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, Rogue Daddy said:

...are you ITK regarding screens at Tynie? 🤔

...to change the subject slightly, I'm in the new stand and noticed (during the Aberdeen game) that the digital clock (which was at the Roseburn stand) is now missing. After watching the game again on Tv, I noticed it's now at the edge of the pitch at the base of the new stand... which I cannae see! Surely we can afford a couple of digi-clocks? Cannae be bothered to take my 👀 off the action to look at my watch!

No I'm not ITK , I'm in new stand also but hadn't taken any notice of clock being moved 

1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

No I'm not ITK , I'm in new stand also but hadn't taken any notice of clock being moved 

👍

When we’re in the later stages of the Champions league we’ll need Murrayfield for the 50,000 to 60,000 we’ll attract against the best teams in Europe, which by the way will be allowed. 

8 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

When we’re in the later stages of the Champions league we’ll need Murrayfield for the 50,000 to 60,000 we’ll attract against the best teams in Europe, which by the way will be allowed. 

THIS IS TRUE

♥️♥️♥️♥️

Phil D. Corners
20 hours ago, I.T.K said:

Worth a watch.

Interesting, also read that in Germany they allow 1.5 people per seat when standing is allowed.

21 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Exactly and that is why staying in our spiritual home was the right decision!

3 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Interesting, also read that in Germany they allow 1.5 people per seat when standing is allowed.

Borussia Dortmund have different capacities for league games and European games because of this I seem to recall.

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Borussia Dortmund have different capacities for league games and European games because of this I seem to recall.

You never used to be allowed standing at Euro games. That might have changed though. 

3 hours ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Veltins Arena home end. Nae seats, just staggered 'old fashioned' barriers. Well packed ... plus beer! 🍻

Screenshot_20210911-113309_Gallery.jpg

On 10/09/2021 at 01:10, Dunks said:

Thanks for that.👍

23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

You never used to be allowed standing at Euro games. That might have changed though. 

Exactly that, around 80k for domestic games and around 60k for European.

So according to Jon Darch the Green Guide says, "If as a football club you have an area in your stadium where fans are standing persistently you must either make them sit down, and everyone knows that cant be done, or you must considerer installing seats incorporating barriers."

Perhaps we have a duty of care to sections G and N to install rail seats.:whistling:

On 10/09/2021 at 12:21, tian447 said:

I also love Tynecastle but when we were playing at Murrayfield a couple of years ago we had 26,000 against Aberdeen and 36,000 against Rangers. I'm sure we also had crowds in excess of 20,000 against Kilmarnock and St Mirren. It's all lost revenue. I have said this before that Jamie Bryant who was the brains behind the FOH had plans to realign the pitch from north/south to east/west, tear down the four stands and completely rebuild. According to Jamie this would have allowed for a bigger playing area and a 35,000 to 40,000 capacity. He planned to finance the rebuild through the Foundation. The smaller capacity of the current stadium is costing us revenue. 

1 hour ago, Libertarian said:

I also love Tynecastle but when we were playing at Murrayfield a couple of years ago we had 26,000 against Aberdeen and 36,000 against Rangers. I'm sure we also had crowds in excess of 20,000 against Kilmarnock and St Mirren. It's all lost revenue. I have said this before that Jamie Bryant who was the brains behind the FOH had plans to realign the pitch from north/south to east/west, tear down the four stands and completely rebuild. According to Jamie this would have allowed for a bigger playing area and a 35,000 to 40,000 capacity. He planned to finance the rebuild through the Foundation. The smaller capacity of the current stadium is costing us revenue. 

As much as that sounds ace, and would let us stay where we belong, that just cannot be a realistic plan though.   

The new main stand cost us what, £15 million?  We'd need 2 of those for the length of the pitch, and say another 1.5x that for the 2 end stands.  We're talking nearly £50 Million just in stands, and that doesn't include any demolition work, the cost of new land purchasing, and anything else that we need to factor in.  That would absolutely ruin us, and undo all the good work we've done to get back onto an even footing financially.  We wouldn't even get the benefit of income for selling the stadium, it's just money out all the way down.

If we could do something about re-building the Wheatfield Stand and if there is any scope for moving it backward into some of the land that is already there, then that is pretty much our only real option if we stay where we are.  We could extend the pitch width a bit, and possibly even steal the front row or 2 of the Gorgie/Roseburn ends to create a little bit more length to the pitch, as long as the "New Wheatfield Stand" included many more seats.  The issue is the buildings that would run along the Northern edge of the stand, which I can't imagine we'd be allowed to do.

wheatfieldexpanded.png

Potentially, with enough room, we could have a taller 2 tier stand, which could bring us up to over 25,000.  I'd say that would probably do us in the short to medium term.

Edited by tian447

43 minutes ago, tian447 said:

As much as that sounds ace, and would let us stay where we belong, that just cannot be a realistic plan though.   

The new main stand cost us what, £15 million?  We'd need 2 of those for the length of the pitch, and say another 1.5x that for the 2 end stands.  We're talking nearly £50 Million just in stands, and that doesn't include any demolition work, the cost of new land purchasing, and anything else that we need to factor in.  That would absolutely ruin us, and undo all the good work we've done to get back onto an even footing financially.  We wouldn't even get the benefit of income for selling the stadium, it's just money out all the way down.

If we could do something about re-building the Wheatfield Stand and if there is any scope for moving it backward into some of the land that is already there, then that is pretty much our only real option if we stay where we are.  We could extend the pitch width a bit, and possibly even steal the front row or 2 of the Gorgie/Roseburn ends to create a little bit more length to the pitch, as long as the "New Wheatfield Stand" included many more seats.  The issue is the buildings that would run along the Northern edge of the stand, which I can't imagine we'd be allowed to do.

wheatfieldexpanded.png

Potentially, with enough room, we could have a taller 2 tier stand, which could bring us up to over 25,000.  I'd say that would probably do us in the short to medium term.

I don’t think there is any way to widen the pitch without significant work on the two end stands. 

2 hours ago, Libertarian said:

Finance the rebuild through the Foundation? Ripping down the existing stands and rebuilding a new 40,000 stadium would cost in excess of £45 million! 
That is not practical to finance through the Foundation.

47 minutes ago, tian447 said:

wheatfieldexpanded.png

Just to highlight - any updated Wheatfield stand would not have a footprint as indicated by the red line in the pic from your post. 

If it was then it would block light for the flats at Wheatfield Street. Realistically looking at any new stand going as far back at the stairs that are shown in white on the pic.

The landlock problem has again come back to haunt the evolution of HMFC within Gorgie and here is a further outline of issues to overcome to expand on your post:

Old school - need to object to the planning permission/prevent development of the site as student accomodation in its current form. 

Old school - need to purchase the land. Develop solutions for it (housing etc) but not in the direct proximity to the Roseburn stand. 

Old school - obtain permission to remove part of the building directly behind the Roseburn or incorporate it into stadium development.

Distillery site - obtain additional land.

Distillery site - work around original planning objections focussed on the ethanol storage in close proximity to the stadium.

I do believe that the old school should be an FoH project to create housing association housing. The project would create additional long term benefits for Hearts such as car parking area, additional building space for commercial activities. This should be the first community driven project that FoH champion. 

15 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Finance the rebuild through the Foundation? Ripping down the existing stands and rebuilding a new 40,000 stadium would cost in excess of £45 million! 
That is not practical to finance through the Foundation.

100% agree - It's not practical and FoH/Hearts should be geared towards creating an income stream through other means. As a terrible example - if FoH ended up owning a rented office block with a guaranteed income then that could be utilised secure any loans required borrow for stadium development. 

You would like to hope that James Anderson with his investment background would be looking to set Hearts up with a investment/financial strategy so it could be self sustaining and allow it to grow/challenge the status quo of Scottish football over time.

Probably being naive but I'd take a short term diversion of funds into a project if it meant a return on investment that would set the club up for growth. 

Pasquale for King

More turnstiles at the wheatfield for a start, to have such a small ticket office window with only two staff on seems like bad planning also. Finishing the main stand and creating a better feel/atmosphere in the fans bar or move it. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Just to highlight - any updated Wheatfield stand would not have a footprint as indicated by the red line in the pic from your post. 

If it was then it would block light for the flats at Wheatfield Street. Realistically looking at any new stand going as far back at the stairs that are shown in white on the pic.

The landlock problem has again come back to haunt the evolution of HMFC within Gorgie and here is a further outline of issues to overcome to expand on your post:

Old school - need to object to the planning permission/prevent development of the site as student accomodation in its current form. 

Old school - need to purchase the land. Develop solutions for it (housing etc) but not in the direct proximity to the Roseburn stand. 

Old school - obtain permission to remove part of the building directly behind the Roseburn or incorporate it into stadium development.

Distillery site - obtain additional land.

Distillery site - work around original planning objections focussed on the ethanol storage in close proximity to the stadium.

I do believe that the old school should be an FoH project to create housing association housing. The project would create additional long term benefits for Hearts such as car parking area, additional building space for commercial activities. This should be the first community driven project that FoH champion. 

That’s a great shout by the way and right up James Anderson’s Street, I’d be amazed if he hadn’t looked at doing something with the site. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Mysterion said:

100% agree - It's not practical and FoH/Hearts should be geared towards creating an income stream through other means. As a terrible example - if FoH ended up owning a rented office block with a guaranteed income then that could be utilised secure any loans required borrow for stadium development. 

You would like to hope that James Anderson with his investment background would be looking to set Hearts up with a investment/financial strategy so it could be self sustaining and allow it to grow/challenge the status quo of Scottish football over time.

Probably being naive but I'd take a short term diversion of funds into a project if it meant a return on investment that would set the club up for growth. 

Nevermind the community aspects, which I fully agree with, building flats, perhaps with a Tesco Express attached, on land owned by Hearts near the stadium has a certain appeal for GIRUY reasons.

6 hours ago, tian447 said:

wheatfieldexpanded.png

Sounds good. 

6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

More turnstiles at the wheatfield for a start, to have such a small ticket office window with only two staff on seems like bad planning also. Finishing the main stand and creating a better feel/atmosphere in the fans bar or move it. 

These are good short term improvements,  Ann has already highlighted finishing the new stand as one of her priorities.