Jump to content

Stadium Improvements


Recommended Posts

Fantastic comments about how to increase capacity

 

Not one explanation of where the millions are to come from and the impact diverting funds would have on the side and infrastructure.

We do not sell out regularly as it is yet we are being asked to increase capacity by another few thousand to service these mythical fans especially the student population.

 

I'd rather we finished what we started in the main stand,  upgraded entrances and exits, toilets etc and yes give the place a repaint and clean if necessary.

Then I'd like us to have a winning side that will stretch our capacity not only for the bigger matches but for the average match as well

The demand is just not there at this time and unlike Liverpool for example there is no waiting list for season tickets, corporate etc never mind the fact that there may not be the room for growth some imagine unless there are virtually unlimited funds...oh and panning permission would be an issue.

 

Success will bring demand or making prices so cheap those fair weather fans might attend but the costs need to be absorbed somewhere.

Time for the realists to stand fast whilst the dreamers continue to plan what will not happen in the near future and to be honest good luck to them as long as they are never in a position of power or influence.  We have been fortunate to save our club and for the short term lets get used to that, make the right commercial decisions which could lead to the demand some think exists but it's not today or even tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • davemclaren

    43

  • Pasquale for King

    38

  • Thomaso

    32

  • Libertarian

    22

davemclaren
1 minute ago, CJGJ said:

Fantastic comments about how to increase capacity

 

Not one explanation of where the millions are to come from and the impact diverting funds would have on the side and infrastructure.

We do not sell out regularly as it is yet we are being asked to increase capacity by another few thousand to service these mythical fans especially the student population.

 

I'd rather we finished what we started in the main stand,  upgraded entrances and exits, toilets etc and yes give the place a repaint and clean if necessary.

Then I'd like us to have a winning side that will stretch our capacity not only for the bigger matches but for the average match as well

The demand is just not there at this time and unlike Liverpool for example there is no waiting list for season tickets, corporate etc never mind the fact that there may not be the room for growth some imagine unless there are virtually unlimited funds...oh and panning permission would be an issue.

 

Success will bring demand or making prices so cheap those fair weather fans might attend but the costs need to be absorbed somewhere.

Time for the realists to stand fast whilst the dreamers continue to plan what will not happen in the near future and to be honest good luck to them as long as they are never in a position of power or influence.  We have been fortunate to save our club and for the short term lets get used to that, make the right commercial decisions which could lead to the demand some think exists but it's not today or even tomorrow.

👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bringitbak
29 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Fantastic comments about how to increase capacity

 

Not one explanation of where the millions are to come from and the impact diverting funds would have on the side and infrastructure.

We do not sell out regularly as it is yet we are being asked to increase capacity by another few thousand to service these mythical fans especially the student population.

 

I'd rather we finished what we started in the main stand,  upgraded entrances and exits, toilets etc and yes give the place a repaint and clean if necessary.

Then I'd like us to have a winning side that will stretch our capacity not only for the bigger matches but for the average match as well

The demand is just not there at this time and unlike Liverpool for example there is no waiting list for season tickets, corporate etc never mind the fact that there may not be the room for growth some imagine unless there are virtually unlimited funds...oh and panning permission would be an issue.

 

Success will bring demand or making prices so cheap those fair weather fans might attend but the costs need to be absorbed somewhere.

Time for the realists to stand fast whilst the dreamers continue to plan what will not happen in the near future and to be honest good luck to them as long as they are never in a position of power or influence.  We have been fortunate to save our club and for the short term lets get used to that, make the right commercial decisions which could lead to the demand some think exists but it's not today or even tomorrow.

Bang on mate 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Bringitbak

I may have missed this and can't be bothered checking back but has there been  any mention of creating a safe standing area? See its getting approved down south, I for one would love to see terracing back at tynie in some capacity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Selkirkhmfc1874
38 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Fantastic comments about how to increase capacity

 

Not one explanation of where the millions are to come from and the impact diverting funds would have on the side and infrastructure.

We do not sell out regularly as it is yet we are being asked to increase capacity by another few thousand to service these mythical fans especially the student population.

 

I'd rather we finished what we started in the main stand,  upgraded entrances and exits, toilets etc and yes give the place a repaint and clean if necessary.

Then I'd like us to have a winning side that will stretch our capacity not only for the bigger matches but for the average match as well

The demand is just not there at this time and unlike Liverpool for example there is no waiting list for season tickets, corporate etc never mind the fact that there may not be the room for growth some imagine unless there are virtually unlimited funds...oh and panning permission would be an issue.

 

Success will bring demand or making prices so cheap those fair weather fans might attend but the costs need to be absorbed somewhere.

Time for the realists to stand fast whilst the dreamers continue to plan what will not happen in the near future and to be honest good luck to them as long as they are never in a position of power or influence.  We have been fortunate to save our club and for the short term lets get used to that, make the right commercial decisions which could lead to the demand some think exists but it's not today or even tomorrow.

Spot on !! All this talk is for the birds

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hearts1975
42 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Fantastic comments about how to increase capacity

 

Not one explanation of where the millions are to come from and the impact diverting funds would have on the side and infrastructure.

We do not sell out regularly as it is yet we are being asked to increase capacity by another few thousand to service these mythical fans especially the student population.

 

I'd rather we finished what we started in the main stand,  upgraded entrances and exits, toilets etc and yes give the place a repaint and clean if necessary.

Then I'd like us to have a winning side that will stretch our capacity not only for the bigger matches but for the average match as well

The demand is just not there at this time and unlike Liverpool for example there is no waiting list for season tickets, corporate etc never mind the fact that there may not be the room for growth some imagine unless there are virtually unlimited funds...oh and panning permission would be an issue.

 

Success will bring demand or making prices so cheap those fair weather fans might attend but the costs need to be absorbed somewhere.

Time for the realists to stand fast whilst the dreamers continue to plan what will not happen in the near future and to be honest good luck to them as long as they are never in a position of power or influence.  We have been fortunate to save our club and for the short term lets get used to that, make the right commercial decisions which could lead to the demand some think exists but it's not today or even tomorrow.

Total sense. Last time there were ST waiting lists was back in the Burley era. Go figure …. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We've got the fan base to warrant a bigger capacity imo. We could easily sell a couple thousand more for the big games. The issue isn't that the base isn't there, it's that we play the 'smaller' teams to often and it doesn't pique people's interest. The games need to be more interesting imo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
upgotheheads

 

3 hours ago, Arfur said:

Medium term answer is fairly obvious in my opinion. Replace the roof with a counter leaver version with supports going in front of the main and wheatfield stands. This means the supports can be removed from beside the stands meaning the pitch can be lengthened 5 meters (2.5 each end) and widened 4 meters (2 each side) bringing the pitch to desired regulation size (might need to raise the pitch slightly losing maybe 1/1.5k in capacity) and then the corners can be filled in which should give about c1k each corner. This should give us a regulation pitch and a capacity of c23k 

If further expansion is required a second tier could be built much like Cardiff built theirs above the wheatfield stand which would likely give a further 3/3.5k (obviously pitch owned by brewery would need to be bought) and then similar could be done to the main if required giving another c3/3.5k. A plan like this could give us a regulation pitch, c30k capacity stadium and we could gradually grow into it over say 10 years thus still having a filled stadium with each expansion.

 

2 hours ago, Libertarian said:

I would expect that the board must at least be carrying out feasibility studies into suggestions such as above in order to progress when the club is in a financial position to advance these solutions. 

 

I don't know how much bigger it's feasible to make Tynecastle on the current footprint, but the pitch size has always irked me. I think a major factor is the positioning of the four corner pillars and the way they impinge on pitch size.. Why the new stadium was built with such a limiting design beats me. Removing those and making all the stands cantilevered would be expensive I think, but the corner pillars are actually relatively light structures, which makes me think it would be possible to build four new, stronger, pylons moved  back diagonally by maybe thirty yards, and extend a cantilever from them to the existing roof hangers. This might allow the addition of a few thousand extra corner seats and enlarge the pitch to UEFA standards.

 

1 hour ago, Bringitbak said:

I may have missed this and can't be bothered checking back but has there been  any mention of creating a safe standing area? See its getting approved down south, I for one would love to see terracing back at tynie in some capacity. 

 

I think that safe standing doesn't actually increase capacity.

Link to post
Share on other sites
chrisyboy7

The club has huge backing so it should be looked at....The ground is clearly too small and we wont achieve very much in the modern game with a stadium we can only get 19k in lol....As for the so called smaller games...who cares.....its all about generating more money over a season allowing us to get better players and keeping the good ones longer so we can get a bigger fee for them....Its a win win situation.....I can see the club getting into europe.....Then you will see that its not good enough too.....Maybe one day we will need a 30k but right now we are 4/5k short.......People will come and watch Hearts if the product is good as it is with every club....You can already see the difference and we should improve more in the coming seasons. I dont geyt why people are so negative and laugh at any of us including the club showing ambition......Yous are clearly not understanding it....Its best to have the extra seats there if and when they are needed than to not and lock people out lol......

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
19 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

The club has huge backing so it should be looked at....The ground is clearly too small and we wont achieve very much in the modern game with a stadium we can only get 19k in lol....As for the so called smaller games...who cares.....its all about generating more money over a season allowing us to get better players and keeping the good ones longer so we can get a bigger fee for them....Its a win win situation.....I can see the club getting into europe.....Then you will see that its not good enough too.....Maybe one day we will need a 30k but right now we are 4/5k short.......People will come and watch Hearts if the product is good as it is with every club....You can already see the difference and we should improve more in the coming seasons. I dont geyt why people are so negative and laugh at any of us including the club showing ambition......Yous are clearly not understanding it....Its best to have the extra seats there if and when they are needed than to not and lock people out lol......

Probably better spending that money on other things for the forseeable future. The cost of adding extra seats needs a consistent number of extra bums on them to hit payback in an acceptable period. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Selkirkhmfc1874
28 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

The club has huge backing so it should be looked at....The ground is clearly too small and we wont achieve very much in the modern game with a stadium we can only get 19k in lol....As for the so called smaller games...who cares.....its all about generating more money over a season allowing us to get better players and keeping the good ones longer so we can get a bigger fee for them....Its a win win situation.....I can see the club getting into europe.....Then you will see that its not good enough too.....Maybe one day we will need a 30k but right now we are 4/5k short.......People will come and watch Hearts if the product is good as it is with every club....You can already see the difference and we should improve more in the coming seasons. I dont geyt why people are so negative and laugh at any of us including the club showing ambition......Yous are clearly not understanding it....Its best to have the extra seats there if and when they are needed than to not and lock people out lol......

Where's the money coming from for these extra seats you talking about ? What you proposing etc? We've just built a new main stand which fit out hasn't been finished yet 

Link to post
Share on other sites
chrisyboy7
Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Where's the money coming from for these extra seats you talking about ? What you proposing etc? We've just built a new main stand which fit out hasn't been finished yet 

Thats the job of the people running the club.....But where did the money come from for the current improvements lol........

Link to post
Share on other sites
Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, chrisyboy7 said:

Thats the job of the people running the club.....But where did the money come from for the current improvements lol........

So the job of the people running the club to come up with answers of a few dreamers on a fans forum coming up with unrealistic fantasy suggestions 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Libertarian
45 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

So the job of the people running the club to come up with answers of a few dreamers on a fans forum coming up with unrealistic fantasy suggestions 

When I attended Tynecastle in the 70s and 80s I could never have imagined that the stadium would be transformed as it has. However there are two issues which the club will have to address in years to come. 

1. The size of the pitch needs to be increased. 

2. The capacity has to be increased if the club is to achieve its potential. 

 

The fact is that a bigger capacity will mean increased revenues and in the longer term better players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

So the job of the people running the club to come up with answers of a few dreamers on a fans forum coming up with unrealistic fantasy suggestions 

👌👍 This. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Selkirkhmfc1874
44 minutes ago, Libertarian said:

When I attended Tynecastle in the 70s and 80s I could never have imagined that the stadium would be transformed as it has. However there are two issues which the club will have to address in years to come. 

1. The size of the pitch needs to be increased. 

2. The capacity has to be increased if the club is to achieve its potential. 

 

The fact is that a bigger capacity will mean increased revenues and in the longer term better players. 

Not so long ago we were told Tynecastle was not fit for purpose , we couldn't build a new main stand etc ! We've done both and still to finish the fit out inside the main stand but Tynecastle is now a 7 days a week running buisness bringing in revenue and it's dreamland to think we gonna be increasing capacity anytime soon if indeed ever

Link to post
Share on other sites
Byyy The Light
5 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Fantastic comments about how to increase capacity

 

Not one explanation of where the millions are to come from and the impact diverting funds would have on the side and infrastructure.

We do not sell out regularly as it is yet we are being asked to increase capacity by another few thousand to service these mythical fans especially the student population.

 

I'd rather we finished what we started in the main stand,  upgraded entrances and exits, toilets etc and yes give the place a repaint and clean if necessary.

Then I'd like us to have a winning side that will stretch our capacity not only for the bigger matches but for the average match as well

The demand is just not there at this time and unlike Liverpool for example there is no waiting list for season tickets, corporate etc never mind the fact that there may not be the room for growth some imagine unless there are virtually unlimited funds...oh and panning permission would be an issue.

 

Success will bring demand or making prices so cheap those fair weather fans might attend but the costs need to be absorbed somewhere.

Time for the realists to stand fast whilst the dreamers continue to plan what will not happen in the near future and to be honest good luck to them as long as they are never in a position of power or influence.  We have been fortunate to save our club and for the short term lets get used to that, make the right commercial decisions which could lead to the demand some think exists but it's not today or even tomorrow.

 

Spot on

Link to post
Share on other sites
SectionDJambo

We can't get enough Hearts fans to buy tickets for the home games against Celtic and Rangers, to squeeze the tickets we give them to a minimum.

Why would Hearts think they need to provide even more capacity when we can't fill the ground with our own fans for these big games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Libertarian
1 hour ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Not so long ago we were told Tynecastle was not fit for purpose , we couldn't build a new main stand etc ! We've done both and still to finish the fit out inside the main stand but Tynecastle is now a 7 days a week running buisness bringing in revenue and it's dreamland to think we gonna be increasing capacity anytime soon if indeed ever

In the years to come?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hectormasson
8 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

They always have 

F...k them let's get bigger,,, mickey mouse green s....e !!! Shouldn't have been allowed to have more seats ? Were the big edinburgh team ffs....

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudeskaboyuk

The size of the pitch still annoys me. 

I often wonder if any of the players have ever mentioned it in a negative or positive way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, rudeskaboyuk said:

The size of the pitch still annoys me. 

I often wonder if any of the players have ever mentioned it in a negative or positive way.

It annoys me watching the highlights or football on tv if I’m no at game just looks far to small and impossible to play wide .

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Stu_HMFC said:

It annoys me watching the highlights or football on tv if I’m no at game just looks far to small and impossible to play wide .


Never looks too small to me

from my seat in the Wheatfield! 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Thomaso
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, CJGJ said:

Fantastic comments about how to increase capacity

 

Not one explanation of where the millions are to come from and the impact diverting funds would have on the side and infrastructure.

We do not sell out regularly as it is yet we are being asked to increase capacity by another few thousand to service these mythical fans especially the student population.

 

I'd rather we finished what we started in the main stand,  upgraded entrances and exits, toilets etc and yes give the place a repaint and clean if necessary.

Then I'd like us to have a winning side that will stretch our capacity not only for the bigger matches but for the average match as well

The demand is just not there at this time and unlike Liverpool for example there is no waiting list for season tickets, corporate etc never mind the fact that there may not be the room for growth some imagine unless there are virtually unlimited funds...oh and panning permission would be an issue.

 

Success will bring demand or making prices so cheap those fair weather fans might attend but the costs need to be absorbed somewhere.

Time for the realists to stand fast whilst the dreamers continue to plan what will not happen in the near future and to be honest good luck to them as long as they are never in a position of power or influence.  We have been fortunate to save our club and for the short term lets get used to that, make the right commercial decisions which could lead to the demand some think exists but it's not today or even tomorrow.


Absolutely nailed it! 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
FarmerTweedy
12 hours ago, Arfur said:

Medium term answer is fairly obvious in my opinion. Replace the roof with a counter leaver version with supports going in front of the main and wheatfield stands. This means the supports can be removed from beside the stands meaning the pitch can be lengthened 5 meters (2.5 each end) and widened 4 meters (2 each side) bringing the pitch to desired regulation size (might need to raise the pitch slightly losing maybe 1/1.5k in capacity) and then the corners can be filled in which should give about c1k each corner. This should give us a regulation pitch and a capacity of c23k 

If further expansion is required a second tier could be built much like Cardiff built theirs above the wheatfield stand which would likely give a further 3/3.5k (obviously pitch owned by brewery would need to be bought) and then similar could be done to the main if required giving another c3/3.5k. A plan like this could give us a regulation pitch, c30k capacity stadium and we could gradually grow into it over say 10 years thus still having a filled stadium with each expansion.

It may seem fairly obvious to you, but the reality is that you can't simply retrofit cantilever roofs to all the stands. The Gorgie and School End stands just don't have the space behind them to allow for the structures that would be required to actually be built. There is a possible solution, as has been suggested already on this and countless other similar threads, whereby the towers are situated roughly in line with the backs of the existing stands, with much longer trusses which cross through each other, but it requires eight towers rather than four, as each tower is only supporting one end of one truss rather than one end of two trusses. This should allow filling in of the corners, but realistically you'd probably be looking at a maximum of about 2k extra seats (the towers would get in the way of filling the entire corners), at a cost of several million at the least. I very much doubt that the potential extra income would justify the expenditure.  As for subsequently increasing the pitch size, as you say, that would probably involve raising the pitch, and it would definitely involve removing some rows from the fronts of the stands, which would again cost into the millions and actually significantly reduce our income!

 

I'd certainly hope that the board will have already explored options for future expansion, and will continue to do so from time to time, but I think the options that actually could be available are probably a lot more complicated and expensive than some people on here realise!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hectormasson
8 hours ago, chrisyboy7 said:

The club has huge backing so it should be looked at....The ground is clearly too small and we wont achieve very much in the modern game with a stadium we can only get 19k in lol....As for the so called smaller games...who cares.....its all about generating more money over a season allowing us to get better players and keeping the good ones longer so we can get a bigger fee for them....Its a win win situation.....I can see the club getting into europe.....Then you will see that its not good enough too.....Maybe one day we will need a 30k but right now we are 4/5k short.......People will come and watch Hearts if the product is good as it is with every club....You can already see the difference and we should improve more in the coming seasons. I dont geyt why people are so negative and laugh at any of us including the club showing ambition......Yous are clearly not understanding it....Its best to have the extra seats there if and when they are needed than to not and lock people out lol......

Correct , and even bung in cup semis ?? And whatever else we could do,    your correct and although the club has to find the funding, it would pay itself off, few might like to take the piss on here with their  comments , let them , I prefer hearts to have a ground big enough to host other things too , and act like a bigger club,

Link to post
Share on other sites
FarmerTweedy
9 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

 

 

 

I don't know how much bigger it's feasible to make Tynecastle on the current footprint, but the pitch size has always irked me. I think a major factor is the positioning of the four corner pillars and the way they impinge on pitch size.. Why the new stadium was built with such a limiting design beats me. Removing those and making all the stands cantilevered would be expensive I think, but the corner pillars are actually relatively light structures, which makes me think it would be possible to build four new, stronger, pylons moved  back diagonally by maybe thirty yards, and extend a cantilever from them to the existing roof hangers. This might allow the addition of a few thousand extra corner seats and enlarge the pitch to UEFA standards.

 

 

I think that safe standing doesn't actually increase capacity.

Two reasons, main one it was cheap and quick to build (and at the time we absolutely couldn't afford to build something that wasn't cheap and quick!), and secondly, it pretty much maximised the potential of the site at the time. There were still warehouse buildings right behind (as in you could pretty much reach out and touch them) the Wheatfield then, so a cantilever roof structure would have actually reduced the number of rows we could have had, as that would have taken up space at the back of the stand. But mainly it was cheapness!  We had roughly the contents of a piggy bank and the change found down the back of a sofa to spend on it at the time!

Link to post
Share on other sites
davemclaren
8 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Two reasons, main one it was cheap and quick to build (and at the time we absolutely couldn't afford to build something that wasn't cheap and quick!), and secondly, it pretty much maximised the potential of the site at the time. There were still warehouse buildings right behind (as in you could pretty much reach out and touch them) the Wheatfield then, so a cantilever roof structure would have actually reduced the number of rows we could have had, as that would have taken up space at the back of the stand. But mainly it was cheapness!  We had roughly the contents of a piggy bank and the change found down the back of a sofa to spend on it at the time!

We had left implementing the Taylor report recommendations to the last minute due to several years of looking for a new site. We had to build something quickly or potentially share Easter Road or somewhere else to meet the all seated requirement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
A_A wehatethehibs
22 hours ago, Arfur said:

Medium term answer is fairly obvious in my opinion. Replace the roof with a counter leaver version with supports going in front of the main and wheatfield stands. This means the supports can be removed from beside the stands meaning the pitch can be lengthened 5 meters (2.5 each end) and widened 4 meters (2 each side) bringing the pitch to desired regulation size (might need to raise the pitch slightly losing maybe 1/1.5k in capacity) and then the corners can be filled in which should give about c1k each corner. This should give us a regulation pitch and a capacity of c23k 

If further expansion is required a second tier could be built much like Cardiff built theirs above the wheatfield stand which would likely give a further 3/3.5k (obviously pitch owned by brewery would need to be bought) and then similar could be done to the main if required giving another c3/3.5k. A plan like this could give us a regulation pitch, c30k capacity stadium and we could gradually grow into it over say 10 years thus still having a filled stadium with each expansion.

 

Yes that's a fairly obvious answer, just fill the corners!

 

Why has nobody ever thought of that or posted it here before? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Das Viertel Hearts
22 hours ago, Thomaso said:

9C04466D-BC25-4240-9EFE-72915E904717.jpeg

That's a great warning statement.  

Including: 

Light fuse and get away!!! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not an architect or structural engineer but the curved truss and cable stays like Wembley could possibly support the stand roofs?, thus allowing for the corner supports to be removed?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...