DETTY29

Very harsh on Price. 

Setting the stall out for a war. 

clearly accuracy of tactical kicking being prioritised over quick play. 

Like the look of the 3/4s lineup. 

Looks solid. Risk is perhaps taking on the boks at their own game, but after a sighter in the first test, they know what they’re up against. 

set piece execution is going to have to be perfect. 

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malinga the Swinga

• Mikey1874

• I P Knightley

• Seymour M Hersh

I P Knightley
16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Watson dropped after pressure from his tackle last week. The media have gone overboard on it and the clamour to bring in Falletu was starting to appear.

A Watson and Curry are golden boys of media and can do no wrong. Very lucky to be picked but they will know that they will be praised, regardless of what they do.

Very un-Gatland-like to give in to media pressure. The stats would suggest that Curry is more of a penalty machine and was as lucky as Watson not to be carded for the cheap shot he took at Faf deKlerk early in the match.

16 minutes ago, CMc said:

Looks solid. Risk is perhaps taking on the boks at their own game, but after a sighter in the first test, they know what they’re up against. 

I had thought, prior to the tour, that the Lions were going to have their own game plan rather than just playing like-for-like with the Bokke. This isn't what I'd hoped to see; it will make it very, very tight.

15 minutes ago, Barack said:

Welsh fans :seething: at Gatland.

Most :pleasing:

I'm enjoying Twitter.

"WHERE IS ADAMS!!!"

"WHY NO WILLIAMS??"

"WHY COWAN-DICKIE??"

"HOGG????"

"ONLY TWO WELSH????" Oh, alright, three. You're right, he's Welsh, too. So four. ONLY FOUR WELSH!!!

WHY NO ADAMS - TOP TRY SCORER ON TOUR. They were tap-ins. THE BACK THREE DID NOTHING IN THAT FIRST TEST!!!! What damage did Kolbe do? ADAMS would've scored FOUR!!!

Bitter wee people :biglaugh:

I P Knightley
3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Love living here. Love my missus. But come 6 Nations time, or more recently in football, the era of Bale, they turn into insufferable arseholes.

On a par with English. They can't see it, either. 

Glad when it's all over for another year. 

Fact is, Williams isn't the best FB, or winger. And he's a headcase. Adams' defence isn't brilliant & he's not got the physicality to make the same types of tackles needed in midfield as what VdM & Watson can offer.

That being said, if the Lions win the next Test, I think Adams will be in.

I hadn't realised you were in Wales.

I agree with you; one of my best mates is Welsh and is completely sensible when it comes to talking rugby (he should be - he's represented Wales up to under 21). We followed Saturday's match together and he gives correct credit to Gatland for his selections and the players that he's picked; even the English ones! But I know he's a-typical :)

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Oh...your initials aren't PS, are they...?

Have you seen me dropping a few wind-ups?

Harris in is a good change. I would never complain about Conor Murray playing and Price will come on. Gatland could be thinking that Price offers more against a tiring side last 20 minutes. 

All in all its decent. 

Edited by Mikey1874

John Findlay

I think this is Lions bench to exploit the Bokkes more in the last quarter of the match, I believe the Lions fully believe they are the far fitter team. 

Oddly enough I think the Lions will open it up more but, definitely in the right areas. I think there will be good link up between Hogg and Harris in this game.

Murray has to get his kicking game spot on from the start. 

Watson dropped for his act of stupidity last week. I'm surprised he wasn't cited.

We cannot let the Bokkes have a HT lead this week, if we do then I believe we will lose the test match this time.

Seymour M Hersh
40 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I think this is Lions bench to exploit the Bokkes more in the last quarter of the match, I believe the Lions fully believe they are the far fitter team. 

Oddly enough I think the Lions will open it up more but, definitely in the right areas. I think there will be good link up between Hogg and Harris in this game.

Murray has to get his kicking game spot on from the start. 

Watson dropped for his act of stupidity last week. I'm surprised he wasn't cited.

We cannot let the Bokkes have a HT lead this week, if we do then I believe we will lose the test match this time.

De Klerk getting a yellow the week before didn't see him ruled out for the first test. I'd be very disappointed if that is the reason for his omission. I didn't think it was a yellow at the time and still don't so I definitely don't agree with your "ac of stupidity" comment. 

7 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

De Klerk getting a yellow the week before didn't see him ruled out for the first test. I'd be very disappointed if that is the reason for his omission. I didn't think it was a yellow at the time and still don't so I definitely don't agree with your "ac of stupidity" comment. 

Watson is perhaps rested. He might have picked up a knock. And Faletau is in the top group of experienced people to rely on for Gatland. 

No chance he's been disciplined for the tip tackle. He played well after that. 

Seymour M Hersh
3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Watson is perhaps rested. He might have picked up a knock. And Faletau is in the top group of experienced people to rely on for Gatland. 

No chance he's been disciplined for the tip tackle. He played well after that. 

I'd hope not. He slipped just before making it so was probably a bit off balance and there was also downward pressure on the boks neck from one of his own players du Toit I think). Looked a bit worse than it ever was in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'd hope not. He slipped just before making it so was probably a bit off balance and there was also downward pressure on the boks neck from one of his own players du Toit I think). Looked a bit worse than it ever was in my opinion. 

These are marginal decisions. I think it was the right one.

South Africa are being desperate and a bit stupid moaning about everything.

Hopefully the refereeing and TMO will be as good again. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

These are marginal decisions. I think it was the right one.

South Africa are being desperate and a bit stupid moaning about everything.

Hopefully the refereeing and TMO will be as good again. 

It was a surprise (the TMO mostly) but a pleasant one. Has the ref for Saturday been announced?

John Findlay
20 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

For me it was, he got caught up in the emotion and not the actual game.

I think there is alot of politics going on behind the scenes and that won't come out until the tour is over.

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

It was a surprise (the TMO mostly) but a pleasant one. Has the ref for Saturday been announced?

I P Knightley
59 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I really don't think that Mish's omission is to do with that.

Curry gave up more penalties, resulting in more points, and was guilty of a cardable bosh on Faf deKlerk early on. If Gatland were dropping players for fear of re-committing, I'd be more concerned about Curry's regular transgressions than what was really a one-off, out-of-character, error from Mish.

I'm afraid that he's picking a side to front up to the Boks rather than to play round them. I'm not saying it will lead to a loss; just a return to stuff-it-up-your-jumper Warrenball which I'd kind of hoped we'd seen the back of.

BBC Rugby podcast said that last time in NZ the selectors came in with their individual teams and the session lasted 15 minutes as the team practically picked itself.

This time the selectors only agreed on 4 positions for the first test and there was 2 and a bit hours of horse trading.

I wonder how much discussion this time outside of Daly drops out of 15 and what the centres combination should be and does that then impact the half backs?

Edited by DETTY29

Clear that the plan is to go the box kick for position and then the biff,bash,bosh route. I guess Gatland has gotten a hard-on for being a winning coach who beats the Boks at their own game in their own backyard. Well he has 2 pops at it so I guess he can go expansive if this fails. Only real surprise is that Cowan-Dickie's try allowed him to keep his spot as I thought Owens had a good chance of starting.

45 minutes ago, CMc said:

Erasmus looks like he’s doubling down.  Not going to be popular guy with the refs. 

Just a rant. The actual decisions on the field can be questioned. But not sure how that helps South Africa. Always happens there are marginal calls. He basically agrees with Gatland on the TMO. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/27/rugby-union-british-and-irish-lions-second-test-south-africa-rugby-union

I P Knightley
54 minutes ago, CMc said:

Erasmus looks like he’s doubling down.  Not going to be popular guy with the refs. 

He's doubled down, Trump-style, on the denial that he is Jaco Johan.

"I actually follow Jaco Johan, he’s a big supporter of us. He’s been feeding me some really good clips for a while now, things that I’ve actually used in the past."

Jaco Johan has only ever tweeted twice and Erasmus has retweeted both tweets. Both tweets are critical of refereeing decisions in Lions' matches.

He's also claimed to have been upset that Gatland made a fuss about the SA TMO (who's a close friend of Erasmus) while he (Erasmus) would never make a similar claim about the ref having been a Kiwi - the same as Gatland. He'd never draw that comparison. Ever!

Seymour M Hersh
5 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

He's doubled down, Trump-style, on the denial that he is Jaco Johan.

"I actually follow Jaco Johan, he’s a big supporter of us. He’s been feeding me some really good clips for a while now, things that I’ve actually used in the past."

Jaco Johan has only ever tweeted twice and Erasmus has retweeted both tweets. Both tweets are critical of refereeing decisions in Lions' matches.

He's also claimed to have been upset that Gatland made a fuss about the SA TMO (who's a close friend of Erasmus) while he (Erasmus) would never make a similar claim about the ref having been a Kiwi - the same as Gatland. He'd never draw that comparison. Ever!

Bit of a pish poor analogy from Razzie there. Had they been playing the All Blacks and Gatland was head coach he'd have a point but a Kiwi TMO for the Lions............ Maybe he's lost the plot. 

Malinga the Swinga

Erasmus losing plot big time with latest rant on how everyone disrespecting SA. Guys becoming a joke figure in rugby and needs put in his place. Hopefully Lions stuff them Saturday and shut his mouth for good.

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Erasmus losing plot big time with latest rant on how everyone disrespecting SA. Guys becoming a joke figure in rugby and needs put in his place. Hopefully Lions stuff them Saturday and shut his mouth for good.

He’s gone feature length: 

Turning into Rugby’s Jose Mourinho. 

Roxy Hearts
20 minutes ago, CMc said:

He’s gone feature length: 

Turning into Rugby’s Jose Mourinho. 

Talks like he's been drinking too much! 

I feel a lot of this officiating debate could have been avoided by not having a South African TMO. It was a ridiculous solution that was always then going to heap pressure from the officials.

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I feel a lot of this officiating debate could have been avoided by not having a South African TMO. It was a ridiculous solution that was always then going to heap pressure from the officials.

The tmo was supposed to be a new Zealander but he had to pull out 

10 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

The tmo was supposed to be a new Zealander but he had to pull out 

They surely could have found someone who's not the nationality of one the competing teams to replace him though? I'd have assumed they'd have standby's for that eventuality, and if they didn't well either way it seems a bit amateur and asking for trouble really.

I like how he says the opinions are all his own and he is acting as an individual and that the Boks should face no backlash from his words… whilst in full Springboks kit and hat. 

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

He strikes me as a bit "Trump". Nothing's going to shut him up.

55 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I get that the NZ fella couldn't/didn't want to get into RSA but why do they need to have someone in the stadium for the reviews? If all VAR decisions in the EPL can be decided remotely from near Heathrow, surely they could have got a Frenchie (same time zone) to watch it from home and chat down the line to the ref?

7 minutes ago, CMc said:

I like how he says the opinions are all his own and he is acting as an individual and that the Boks should face no backlash from his words… whilst in full Springboks kit and hat. 

... and constant reference to "we thought this/that/the other".

Having watched quite a lot of that, I have to say that he has a point with some of the inconsistencies he's pointed out but then he goes all paranoid with any slight mistake becoming part of a grand conspiracy. And, although he doesn't accuse the officials of racism in the way they respond to Kolisi in contrast to A-WJ, he certainly builds the 'will he? Will he? He's gonna...' tension with the way he goes on about it.

19 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

He strikes me as a bit "Trump". Nothing's going to shut him up.

I get that the NZ fella couldn't/didn't want to get into RSA but why do they need to have someone in the stadium for the reviews? If all VAR decisions in the EPL can be decided remotely from near Heathrow, surely they could have got a Frenchie (same time zone) to watch it from home and chat down the line to the ref?

... and constant reference to "we thought this/that/the other".

Having watched quite a lot of that, I have to say that he has a point with some of the inconsistencies he's pointed out but then he goes all paranoid with any slight mistake becoming part of a grand conspiracy. And, although he doesn't accuse the officials of racism in the way they respond to Kolisi in contrast to A-WJ, he certainly builds the 'will he? Will he? He's gonna...' tension with the way he goes on about it.

I though that too but in the end decided it maybe reflected more on me that I felt that than him. I've felt similar to how he felt about AWJ getting away with stuff from refs when Scotland have played Wales and we know that the race card wasn't on the table there so  not sure that's the angle he was getting at there and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for sure.

I've got to say he comes across as a petulant cry baby, he's basically wanting them to either say they made mistakes or back the calls so he can send the Boks out with the instruction to tip tackle, come in from the side and tackle without the arms. That said, I do agree with him about a lot of the calls he highlighted and for all the praise rugby officiating gets from football fans at times I personally think it's terribly inconsistent and often appears they're making it up as they go along.

Edited by Taffin

20 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I though that too but in the end decided it maybe reflected more on me that I felt that than him. I've felt similar to how he felt about AWJ getting away with stuff from refs when Scotland have played Wales and we know that the race card wasn't on the table there so  not sure that's the angle he was getting at there and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for sure.

I've got to say he comes across as a petulant cry baby, he's basically wanting them to either say they made mistakes or back the calls so he can send the Boks out with the instruction to tip tackle, come in from the side and tackle without the arms. That said, I do agree with him about a lot of the calls he highlighted and for all the praise rugby officiating gets from football fans at times I personally think it's terribly inconsistent and often appears they're making it up as they go along.

i agree with you re AWJ, i feel at least in the 6 nations he is treated like scott brown is up here bu officials

Itoji to be man of the match. 
Even if he isn’t. 
Bloody good player but Sky don’t half have a massive hard on about him. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Tazio said:

Even if he isn’t. 

Sky are shite. 

10 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

What a brutal game! Both teams hammering into each other.

Lions sending a strong message so far. (A couple of poor errors though now leading to yellow card)

Got to worry about South Africa tiring. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Funny thing is you couldn't see a more friendly relationship between all the players after the South Africa A match. 

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Colby should be off. Straight red, no doubt

Lenient. 

Just good luck Conor Murrray wasn't seriously injured. 

Roxy Hearts
1 minute ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Ref bottles it and gives a yellow.

Thought it only yellow myself. May be Rassie has psyched out the ref!

Roxy Hearts
1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Lenient. 

Just good luck Conor Murrray wasn't seriously injured. 

👍

Malinga the Swinga

If Murray hadn't put arm out, it's a red. You can't rely on that when judging dangerous tackle. It was either dangerous or it wasn't.

Roxy Hearts
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Even if he isn’t. 

He is so far....