DETTY29

May 6th is date that Warren Gatland announces his squad for the 2021 Great British & Lions tour of South Africa (or wherever it may end up).

Love a Lions tour, pubs open too just in time.

Thread here for anyone to post whatever thoughts they may have.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malinga the Swinga

• Mikey1874

• I P Knightley

• Seymour M Hersh

Scots, imo, in with a chance of selection.

Hogg

Harris

Van Der Merve

Russell

Price (a Sir Ian McGeechan consideration)

Sutherland 

Turner (SIM too)

Gray

Watson

Ritchie

Hogg, Russell and Watson likely only guarantees with Sutherland needing 6-8 weeks injury recovery time, so would be a push to take.

Price, Turner extreme long shots, Gray and Ritchie long shots too but might be asked to be in the vicinity as cover.

Edited by DETTY29

Just up on BBC Sounds, interview with Ian McGeechan and Jim Telfer, mainly about SA 97, but talk about their test 15s.

Only Hogg and Russell start.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09fl44l

Love the story about the guy from Elgin writing to Telfer to say that if he (Telfer) swore in front of him, the gentleman would have got up and walked out.

Telfer wrote back to tell him it would be a one way walk (forever) then.

Edited by DETTY29

I P Knightley

You're hearing this exclusively from me but here's the starting XV with their position's subs in brackets:

1. Wyn Jones (Sutherland)

2. Ken Owens (Cowan-Dickie)

3. Tadgh Furlong (Sinckler)

4. Maro Itoje (Henderson)

5. Alun Wyn-Jones (Ryan)

6. Tadgh Beirne (Curry)

7. Hamish Watson (Navidi)

8. Taulupe Faltau (Simmonds)

9. Conor Murray (T Williams)

10. Dan Biggar (Russell)

11. Jonny May (Rees-Zammit)

12. Robbie Henshaw (It'll probably be Farrell but it shouldn't be)

13. George North, if not injured. Slade if he is. (Tuilagi - but should be Harris)

14. Josh Adams (A Watson)

15. Hogg (L. Williams)

Others for the touring squad:

M Vunipola (even though he's been crap)

Jamie George (even though he's playing two bob games in the championship) or McInally

Zander Fagerson

Courtney Lawes

M'bawza Ritchie/van der Flier

Ali Price

Ringrose

van der Merwe

Don't know how big the touring squad will be but 40's enough. If it's only 39, you can fling Farrell off the plane.

Just now, The Frenchman Returns said:

Understand they are playing a warm up game v Japan at Murrayfield. Behind closed doors?

Limited capacity. Tickets are £100+

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

He really is a shoe in in my book. 

Don't think Russell will start the first test. I think they will go with Sexton alongside Connor Murray.

Hogg is also a nap to start. 

I wonder how many Scots will be in the touring party. Gatland isn't known for picking many, probably justifiably so in the past, but we are a different breed now.

If Watson is picked he certainly won’t be a starter, or at least not in the first test. I expect Garland to follow the old cliché of having to play big powerful players against the Boks. The problem with that of course being the Bok forwards are indeed big but they are also athletic.  

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Having to play behind that wall for 80 minutes. The one player Gatland should be targeting. I don't think (Murray probably) will get near him. 

Warren's had part of his game-plan binned already, thanks to North's ACL. And Tandy being defence coach & Townsend the attack coach...

Plan B possibly...?

Henshaw is a fantastic player. He's my pick for POTS.

They’ll probably be thinking Itoji can be the man to block De Klerk’s kicks. If only it was that simple, a proper scrum half with the full box of tricks at hand. 

Captain Sausage

Where’s all the chat about Price coming from? He’s the weak link of the Scotland backs so doesn’t make any sense to me why he’d be called up to the Lions. 

Got a bet with an English pal (supple steaks for bbq) that Russell and Hogg start first test. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

As long as Hamish is at 7. _20210428_160925.thumb.JPG.65f067434e7739433c780648db96ba13.JPG

Where would one buy such a hat?

I think I want to have one.

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Don't think Russell will start the first test. I think they will go with Sexton alongside Connor Murray.

I wonder how many Scots will be in the touring party. Gatland isn't known for picking many, probably justifiably so in the past, but we are a different breed now.

Gatland's argument in the past has been that Scotland have good players but they're not good at winning away, which is what you want of touring players.

Now that we've won at Twix and PdP, I wonder what his excuse will be?

Tandy and Townshend will be there to make the case for Harris with North dropping out. He's been quite heavily tipped already so this just pushes him closer to the squad. There's a fair amount of competition at centre, though, so the Irish pair, Davies, Slade and (wrongly) Farrell will be in the queue ahead of him, I fear.

Scrum-half is the only position, for me, where there are no star performers. There's going to be really good players missing out on the tour in every other position.

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

Defo Jonno. 👍

4 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Where’s all the chat about Price coming from? He’s the weak link of the Scotland backs so doesn’t make any sense to me why he’d be called up to the Lions. 

Got a bet with an English pal (supple steaks for bbq) that Russell and Hogg start first test. 

I've seen one or two vlogs saying he has a chance because of all the 9s, he has the most variety to his game.

Hogg and Russell both starting means a goal kicking problem as Farrell really shouldn't be starting.

Edited by DETTY29

Bump.

Announcement at mid-day tomorrow, 6th.

Quick 5Live discussion just now.

They fully expect Manu Tualagni (sp) to go.

Simmons and Care under serious consideration.

Sexton could be test starter or may not go.

Hogg, Watson shoe ins, Van der Merve and Zander or was it Matt?) Fagerson very close.  Certainly won't be 8 or 9 Scots.

AWJ will be tour captain but not guaranteed to start tests.

Edited by DETTY29

2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Bump.

Hogg, Watson shoe ins, Van der Merve and Zander or was it Matt?) Fagerson very close.  Certainly won't be 8 or 9 Scots.

Simmons would be a very good shout. Billy Vunipola hasn’t been on top form for a long time and it’s ridiculous he kept his place in the England team ahead of him. European player of the year but Jones didn’t rate him. He’s been immense any time I’ve seen him for Exeter. 

I P Knightley
13 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Bump.

Any idea of how the announcement will be broadcast?

Dennis Reynolds
2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Any idea of how the announcement will be broadcast?

It'll be on sky sports mix and the official social media channels.

I P Knightley
13 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Bump.

Who was discussing on 5Live? I saw the squad prediction from Ugo Monye and he had more English than any other nation by far - struck me as not wanting to upset his chums.

I'm not saying that there have to be 9 from each nation but it should not be an England majority. I'd rule out almost all their Saracens players (Itoje the exception) and come out with a squad of 10 or 11 from Wales, similar from Ireland and 7 or 8 each from England and Scotland. Kind of reflecting the recent 6 Nations but adding Simmonds whose omission from the England squad, preferring Vunipola, was baffling.

1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Who was discussing on 5Live? I saw the squad prediction from Ugo Monye and he had more English than any other nation by far - struck me as not wanting to upset his chums.

I'm not saying that there have to be 9 from each nation but it should not be an England majority. I'd rule out almost all their Saracens players (Itoje the exception) and come out with a squad of 10 or 11 from Wales, similar from Ireland and 7 or 8 each from England and Scotland. Kind of reflecting the recent 6 Nations but adding Simmonds whose omission from the England squad, preferring Vunipola, was baffling.

Chris Jones at half time of football last night.

BBC saying AWJ to be confirmed captain at 12.09 but full squad announcement not until 12.28.

PortyJambo
16 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

BBC saying AWJ to be confirmed captain at 12.09 but full squad announcement not until 12.28.

They're dragging it out on Sky, unsurprisingly, with AWJ only just confirmed now.

Edited by PortyJambo

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

They're dragging it out on Sky, unsurprisingly, with AWJ only just confirmed now.

I'm watching the YT stream. WTF is going on in this interview with AWJ? Did they pretent to beam him in using Star Trek technology?

Now pretending it was more than him just being on the phone.

Too much chat and waffle. Moving on to Warburton and Hastings for more waffle now.

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Well bugger me. Terrific representation.

Sutherland could be a push to get fit.

But take that.

Edited by DETTY29

John Findlay

Still one Englishman to many. Owen Farell. Im sorry but he is a bland back for me. Offers no creativity whatsoever in my opinion. I am surprised there are 8 scots. Suggests the Lions plan an expansive game. Model themselves on the All Blacks, particularly in the backs.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

Still one Englishman to many. Owen Farell. Im sorry but he is a bland back for me. Offers no creativity whatsoever in my opinion. I am surprised there are 8 scots. Suggests the Lions plan an expansive game. Model themselves on the All Blacks, particularly in the backs.

Can play at 10 and 12, allows the potential for Russell to play 10 and him at 12 and still have a solid place kicker.

I P Knightley
Just now, Mikey1874 said:

The English have taken the hit. 

Peculiar selections around the English, I though. Daly in but no Johnny May; Jamie George in when he's only playing noddy rugby with Sarries; Mako Vunipola in but no Sinckler (I know they're opposite sides but I'd have had Cian Healy over Vunipola any day.)

I wouldn't have picked Lawes for the tour but can see that with Beirne and Lawes, you've got guys who can play both lock and flank forward. Shame that it leaves Johnny Gray out of the squad but it makes sense.

Farrell was always going to make the squad but, FFS!

Glad that all the Danny Care chat was just Ugo Monye and his pals; also pleased for Ali Price but I might have gone for Tomos Williams.

I may be reading the squad wrong but I only see three centres in there (and well done to Harris for making the cut when Ringrose, Slade and, possibly, Redpath were in with a shout); then there are seven for the back three (my squad had four and six). Wales got lucky in pulling North into the centre but I don't see any of those seven doing the same job. That tweet seems to suggest that Daly's the centre.

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, dougal said:

Can play at 10 and 12, allows the potential for Russell to play 10 and him at 12 and still have a solid place kicker.

I still feel there is far more to test rugby than kicking and if Farrell's kicking is not upto scratch like it wasnt in the 6 nations, i dont think he brings much else to the table.

I P Knightley
6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

4 minutes ago, dougal said:

Answers my question about the 'shortage' of centres; of course!

That's my Farrell blindness coming in to play. I can't imagine Farrell outside Finn. The guy doesn't seem to have what it takes to improvise and react to Finn's box of tricks; not in the way that Johnson and Jones have done over recent years.

Still, I'll suck it up and see what the teams look like from match to match. Definitely an exciting squad there. (Plus Farrell).

Mikey1874
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Slade was unlucky to miss out. Quite surprised at Price getting in. But the 9 position isn't exactly blessed with options right now. 

Van Der Merwe would've been bouncing around the room I'd have imagined.

Sexton's had one too many HIA's. Quite honestly, he needs to retire. Or he'll be on the dementia study in a few years time. 

They have protected Sexton and given him the chance of another couple of years by leaving him out. Would have taken one big hit.