DETTY29

16,500 fans allowed into Murrayfield today to watch a pretend team play in a friendly match, with bars open selling alcohol. Compare and contrast to what was allowed for a once in many lifetimes major competition match on home soil for our national football team just 4 days earlier.

Glad they ran out of bevvy before kick off today.

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malinga the Swinga

• Mikey1874

• I P Knightley

• Seymour M Hersh

Seymour M Hersh
36 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

16,500 fans allowed into Murrayfield today to watch a pretend team play in a friendly match, with bars open selling alcohol. Compare and contrast to what was allowed for a once in many lifetimes major competition match on home soil for our national football team just 4 days earlier.

Glad they ran out of bevvy before kick off today.

Was it not the same % but Murrayfield has a capacity of 67,500. 

2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Was it not the same % but Murrayfield has a capacity of 67,500. 

I'd appreciate if you could keep basic facts away from my anti-rugby agenda, thanks.

Seymour M Hersh
41 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

I'd appreciate if you could keep basic facts away from my anti-rugby agenda, thanks.

Fair enough. :lol:

Footballfirst
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Wynn Jones maybe named captain.

Me, I think a dark horse would be Hamish Watson.

Conor Murray has been named captain.

4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I thought that. He must have been only a Bawhair off being in the squad. Beirne was great at 6 (as expected) so, although he covers lock, I'd be looking for a lock to replace AWJ, rather than a 6 and pushing Beirne forward. 

If Tipuric is looking dodgy, does this bring M'bozza Ritchie to the front of the queue or is he one of the 8 Scots Covid isolating?

welchies Beard, who’s  crap, and Navidi, who’s actually ok, brought in.

Edited by Hesh

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Hesh said:

welchies Beard, who’s  crap, and Navidi, who’s actually ok, brought in.

Yep. We like Navidi if Watson and Beirne aren't playing. Agree on Beard. I would have selected Gray, who's been consistently good for a couple of seasons. Maybe he's not enough of a lunk for Gatland's plans. 

PortyJambo

Five Scots in the starting lineup for Saturday's Lions game against the, eh...Lions, with Hogg as the captain. Fagerson on the bench too.

Lions team to face Emirates Lions: Hogg; Rees-Zammit, Harris, Farrell, Adams; Russell, Price; W Jones, George, Sinckler, Itoje, Hill, Lawes, H Watson, Faletau.

Replacements: Cowan-Dickie, Vunipola, Fagerson, Henderson, Simmonds, Davies, Aki, Daly

Russell and Farrell could be an interesting combination.

Just now it's about giving Gatland something to think about. I wonder that this time there are more places in the test team up for grabs. 

HartleyLegend3

The brit/Irish lions will absolutely destroy every club team they come up against. 

Also don't think any Scot's will start any of the tests. 

I P Knightley
26 minutes ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

The brit/Irish lions will absolutely destroy every club team they come up against. 

Chris Harris has made a strong argument this half, as has Mish, of course. Hogg was dropped by Exeter due to concerns about his solidity under the high ball - not a concern I'd have after the first half. Prove has had a good half but he won't get selected ahead of Murray.

Farrell is the one looking most ropey in the backs and I would want LRZ in my defence. 

40 minutes ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

I wouldn’t be so sure. Thanks to the wonders of furlough I watched a fair bit of South African rugby in the last year. They play a hard fast game that if it clicks can be a massive test for any team. On paper they should win them all easily but it may be a different story on the day. 

I P Knightley

Not a bad showing all round.

Finn was a bit off the boil but I reckon that Gatland/Townsend had him doing crossfield kicks so that the Boks have to think twice about the way they line up their defence, which tends to drift infield. Getting the assist on Adams's third try would help in that regard.

Daly was good when he came on but by that time the oppo were fecked. Harris had a blinding first half but was a bit quieter in the second - albeit, the Gauteng lot weren't giving him too much to worry about. He's definitely staked a claim for a test position.

Hogg did nothing wrong and a lot right. It would be surprising if he wasn't given a test place.

Good to see Mish getting MotM; the guy's a beast.

8 tries and all from Wales and Scotland. Do the Irish and English not realise that they're allowed to score tries as well?

As mentioned before, Zammit did not impress. Yes, he's super quick and runs a decent attack but his handling isn't great and, defensively, he looked a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights. I wouldn't put him ahead of the guy in the pink here:

184469419_4133290510043305_4814859224441

My problem with Zammit is that his game is based around the fact he’s super fast. He doesn’t really beat a man if he has an opponent in front of him. Kick and chase he’s excellent but you can’t always guarantee that. And as you said defensively not the best. 

John Findlay

This Lions squad is all about speed of thought and speed of deed. 

I think they will only get physical with the Boks when they want too.

I think they intend to make the Boks go allover the park and go wide as much as they can and alot of chipping and kicking into space to turn the Boks around.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

:biglaugh:

He's been a one-eyed git for quite some time. Lawes had a decent game; Faletau was short of his best; 99 pundits out of 100 had Mish as MotM. When one of your players runs in four tries, that's quite remarkable.

John Findlay
6 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

:biglaugh:

He's been a one-eyed git for quite some time. Lawes had a decent game; Faletau was short of his best; 99 pundits out of 100 had Mish as MotM. When one of your players runs in four tries, that's quite remarkable.

An old cliche in sport. No two people see the same game.

Springboks isolating again, beginning to wonder if this will actually go ahead.

Edited by JWL

23 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Luckily it's a good few weeks until the 1st Test but it is a concern.

Their training schedule will certainly be disrupted. First Test same day as Hearts v Celtic, really hope it's a goer.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

An old cliche in sport. No two people see the same game.

Fair comment, John. If we did, there'd be no point in discussing it and there'd be no chance to point out what a colossal dick Stephen Jones can be, particularly towards Scotland and Scottish players.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Fair comment, John. If we did, there'd be no point in discussing it and there'd be no chance to point out what a colossal dick Stephen Jones can be, particularly towards Scotland and Scottish players.

Well nothing worse than myopic Welshman when it comes to Rugby Union.

PortyJambo

Lions game on Saturday set to be called off as the Bulls have up to 7 positive Covid cases in the team. SA against Georgia also in doubt. You have to wonder if they'll actually be able to play the test matches...

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, PortyJambo said:

Lions game on Saturday set to be called off as the Bulls have up to 7 positive Covid cases in the team. SA against Georgia also in doubt. You have to wonder if they'll actually be able to play the test matches...

The story I heard is that the Springboks' approach to "bubbles" is to stay as a unit Monday to Friday and then disperse home for the weekends. You have to wonder whether they actually want to play this series.

Just being reported on bbc and sky sports that a member of the Lions management team has tested positive for covid and is isolating, two unnamed Lions players and two members of staff also isolating as close contacts.

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, five wan said:

Just being reported on bbc and sky sports that a member of the Lions management team has tested positive for covid and is isolating, two unnamed Lions players and two members of staff also isolating as close contacts.

How, though? How can a touring party, with all its planning behind it, knowing the risks of Covid and the latest variants, end up allowing the virus in? Would it have happened in the Sigma Lions match at the weekend?

This tour is going to be abandoned; I feel it in my bones.

1 minute ago, I P Knightley said:

How, though? How can a touring party, with all its planning behind it, knowing the risks of Covid and the latest variants, end up allowing the virus in? Would it have happened in the Sigma Lions match at the weekend?

Because Covid is really easy to catch. Maybe helped by a lack of understanding of the dangers.

It's ironic that here society is totally going to be opened up with no need for contacts to self isolate but sport retains for now ultra sensitive approach. 

I P Knightley

Great comment on BBC:

It would be easier to stage a match between real lions and real sharks.

Grateful if anyone can provide a streaming link, though.

4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Great comment on BBC:

It would be easier to stage a match between real lions and real sharks.

Grateful if anyone can provide a streaming link, though.

hesgoal is place to go if good ad blocker.

@Mikey1874is normally good for links.

I pay full whack.  When it comes to rugby, trouble and strife demands Sky.  And BT. And Premier.

Edited by DETTY29

This game looks like it’s being played at walking pace. Not a great work out so far for the Lions. Good for VDM to get a couple of tries in the first half hour. 

I P Knightley

Bloody hesgoal stream has been lifted!

Berettini just finished his tennis.

Is there any other sport on the now? I'm sure I'd have heard if there was!!

6 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Every hotel reception area,room, dining room,meeting room, door handle, bus, training facilities, dressing room will have to be meticulously cleaned. Just one spot missed and someone from the touring party could catch it

7 of the 8 players who were isolating have rejoined the squad. They haven't named the player who will have to stay in Johannesburg when the squad fly to Cape Town tomorrow.

But the one player who has not returned from isolation is Stuart Hogg. 

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

7 of the 8 players who were isolating have rejoined the squad. They haven't named the player who will have to stay in Johannesburg when the squad fly to Cape Town tomorrow.

But the one player who has not returned from isolation is Stuart Hogg. 

I was trying to apply a process of elimination based on who's been out of the last couple of squads and wasn't named today. Thought I'd arrived at Connor Murray but then saw him on the bench. So it's Hoggy... probably.

Russell's 'nursing' an achilles problem and missing three matches. Sounds ominous for his test match chances, which is a shame. I thought he'd done enough. Mind you, many twists and turns still to come.

Watson make a catch by the line and plays a simple pass. Then VDM destroys the Sharks defence than Slips it to Harris who runs in a try nicely. 
Commentator “lovely work by Anthony Watson”. 

Anthony Watson seems to be the golden child to the commentators. The praise in the post above, the. He kicks too long, it’s the altitudes fault. He gets beaten for pace as the Sharks try, the commentators mention that Hamish Watson can’t catch the player. 
The team are playing ok but the Sharks look better than they did in the last match. 
Edit. As I type that the Sharks score a second and take the lead. 

I P Knightley
37 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Anthony Watson seems to be the golden child to the commentators. The praise in the post above, the. He kicks too long, it’s the altitudes fault. He gets beaten for pace as the Sharks try, the commentators mention that Hamish Watson can’t catch the player. 
The team are playing ok but the Sharks look better than they did in the last match. 
Edit. As I type that the Sharks score a second and take the lead. 

That one pissed me right off. It was A Watson's man; AW's a "speed merchant" and was facing the right way. AW couldn't get close.

John Findlay

Lions have to up the physicality in the 2nd half this game. Hopefully this game is where they get 95% of the errors out of the system. Byrne, Watson, George, and Sutherland need to start smashing the sharks forwards. Courtney Laws I feel is having a poor game in the forwards and Daly in the backs.

That's just my personal opinion.

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Watson make a catch by the line and plays a simple pass. Then VDM destroys the Sharks defence than Slips it to Harris who runs in a try nicely. 
Commentator “lovely work by Anthony Watson”. 

Similar for the Sharks 4th try, commentator says VDM spilt the ball, but no mention of the terrible pass that caused it. It was floated way in front of VDM, and actually looked forward, and was only spilt because he had to dive full length to try and catch it.

I P Knightley
47 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Lions have to up the physicality in the 2nd half this game. Hopefully this game is where they get 95% of the errors out of the system. Byrne, Watson, George, and Sutherland need to start smashing the sharks forwards. Courtney Laws I feel is having a poor game in the forwards and Daly in the backs.

That's just my personal opinion.

Daly certainly wasn't the best; that dropped pass that gave away a try in the first half was sloppy and his tackling wasn't near the level of Chris Harris when he plays 13. But guess who got Sky's man of the match!

5 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Daly certainly wasn't the best; that dropped pass that gave away a try in the first half was sloppy and his tackling wasn't near the level of Chris Harris when he plays 13. But guess who got Sky's man of the match!

I was a bit shocked by that. Apparently the choice was by the South African broadcasters. Maybe they’re playing mind games trying to get him in the test team knowing what proper international centres will do to him. I was about to post that the experiment of him at centre wasn’t working when they announced it, so I didn’t as I thought maybe my opinion was wrong. 

John Findlay
7 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The South African broadcaster who chooses the motm apparently, not the sky pundits. Daly was nowhere near motm imho. I think they are loathe to give it to Van Der Merwen, as they think he should be a Bok and not a Lion.

Malinga the Swinga
13 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The South African broadcaster who chooses the motm apparently, not the sky pundits. Daly was nowhere near motm imho. I think they are loathe to give it to Van Der Merwen, as they think he should be a Bok and not a Lion.

VDM got man of match Wednesday from SA broadcasters. Looks like they are sharing the awards out.