Biggar

Adams

Aki

Daly

Watson

Williams

:rofl:

He HATES the Scots eh?

Hogg a nailed on start. I’m biased, but I’d argue 6 nations player of the tournament Hamish Watson should be in, alongside DVDM who has made the most yards of any Lion and probably Price, not due to his brilliance but rather down to Murray’s absolutely dreadful appearances to date. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Warburton's Lions side.

Vunipola

Cowan-Dickie

Furlong

Itoje

AW Jones

Beirne

Faletau

Curry

Murray

Biggar

Adams

Aki

Daly

Watson

Williams

England have been pathetic in last year, yet somehow, their players such as Watson, Daly, Vunipola & Curry are consistently praised by pundits, despite the fact SA wiped floor with them in world cup final.

Clear bias in their view. A Watson and Curry in particular have done nothing to justify this hyped up view and a simple catch and pass has them wetting their pants with excitement.

Vunipola cannot scrum at this level and is consistently pinged by refs and Daly cannot tackle, something centres have to do.

If Mish, VDM & Harris can't get in the side, then there's something sadly wrong with selection. Hogg miles ahead of L Williams, but Williams played against NZ and Gatland likes him, so Hogg not given a chance.

Scotland don't win away from home so I won't pick their players says Gatland.

Scotland win away at Twickenham and away at Paris, and suddenly that doesn't seem to matter to him.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

19 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

England have been pathetic in last year, yet somehow, their players such as Watson, Daly, Vunipola & Curry are consistently praised by pundits, despite the fact SA wiped floor with them in world cup final.

Clear bias in their view. A Watson and Curry in particular have done nothing to justify this hyped up view and a simple catch and pass has them wetting their pants with excitement.

Vunipola cannot scrum at this level and is consistently pinged by refs and Daly cannot tackle, something centres have to do.

If Mish, VDM & Harris can't get in the side, then there's something sadly wrong with selection. Hogg miles ahead of L Williams, but Williams played against NZ and Gatland likes him, so Hogg not given a chance.

Scotland win away at Twickenham and away at Paris, and suddenly that doesn't seem to matter to him.

What about this?  On top of what you mention.

Sinckler? Farrell at 10?

Murray (deservedly imo) out of squad completely, though

Edited by DETTY29

15 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Sinckler? Farrell at 10?

no VDM but having the weakling RZ on the bench is just one of many awful decisions in their tiny little minds

Seymour M Hersh
7 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Sinckler? Farrell at 10?

A very average English forward (clearly way too many bangs to the head) and a yank who obviously failed at their version of football. Very glad none of the supposed expert pundits and media hacks covering this tour are actually involved in picking the team. Thanks for you time lads but bugger off and watch another sport. 

I P Knightley
11 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I agree with your analysis but console myself that Warburton is nowhere near the selection. 

Of the four you mention, Curry is the nearest to justifying a mention next to someone who should be selected. At least, he'd make my bench. Mish had a relatively quiet game yesterday but still managed to keep the world player off the year in his pocket; never went backwards with the ball and made the most tackle of any Lion. 

If he's not a starter, the game's up the pole. 

I had been staring to look at Daly a bit but yesterday he was mince. Harris came on and showed us what had been missing. Henshaw, too, was average. 

But, of course, the sun only started shining (according to commentators) when Jones took to the field. The locks have been outstanding in his absence; 20 minutes against a tired and beaten provincial side don't entitle him to start; even though he did nothing much wrong, largely staying on the fringes. 

Hogg didn't have his greatest game but played unselfishly and solidly. The choice between him and Williams would be less catastrophic than starting with Jones, Daly, Murray or Vunipola. They shouldn't be near the first squad. 

3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

What are you talking about? 

i have absolutely no idea what i was talking about

Seymour M Hersh
6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i have absolutely no idea what i was talking about

Terrible thing the drink! :lol: It's just that I read and re-read the article you linked and couldn't see is detrimental comment about the Scots. 

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Terrible thing the drink! :lol: It's just that I read and re-read the article you linked and couldn't see is detrimental comment about the Scots. 

i need to stay away from the 10.5% stuff

19 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

BBC preview reckons the 7 Jersey is Curry's due to his awesome performance against South Africa A and Watson is an outside chance for a start next weekend. 🤔

Matt Dawson

Who said before the 2019 World Cup final that none of the South African team would get into the England side.

By the way remember South Africa wanted their A side to play the Lions again yesterday.

They played domestic Champions The Bulls yesterday instead and lost 17-14. 

5 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

He's carrying on with his pish in predicting a team for next week with 7  English players in it and no Scots.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57875384

Yeah

He's back to the old bias. It might be that Curry is picked to start over Watson for the 1st Test. But he presents it as a slam dunk which it isn't. It's a squad game with 3 Tests. 

The Mighty Thor
7 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

He's carrying on with his pish in predicting a team for next week with 7  English players in it and no Scots.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57875384

The trouble is that Gatland is no fan of us either.

There's Scots that should be in the starting line up that won't be. 

The thought process for selection is;

Is there a Welsh player for that position?

Is there an English alternative?

Is there an Irish alternative?

Is there a Welsh player we can shoehorn into that position?

**** it. I'll have to play a Scot. 

I think Hamish Watson has been player of the Tour so far. I think he should get a test place because his mobility, tackling and support play are second to none. There are a lot of calls for Curry as he played well in the defeat to SA "A". I get the feeling this is more English media than the coaches opinion though. It depends if the Lions want to go physical or mobile against SA...Personally I think playing them at their own muscle game would be foolish as this is where the English fell short in the WC.

Price has been the best scrum-half but I suspect they'll go with Murray due to his "experience" in such a key position. Not a fan of picking experience over form myself though...

I think Hogg has more to his game than Williams and of particular use is his big boot and ability to run and genius in the offload. Again, Williams would be the safe pick though...

Harris should have a chance due to his defence, at least as a starter with someone coming on as a replacement as the game gets stretched a bit...

Van der Merwe should also have a chance as a starter for his ability to break a tackle.

Sutherland and Fagerson may get places as replacements as if I'm honest there are better players to start, but both can be good impact subs.

One indicator for me will be if he plays Vunipola as he was so out-scrummaged at the WC final. He hasn't improved in this area since and if the coaches pick him as a starter, I'm betting on SA for the series win, as it says Gatland is a fool.

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I’ve just read Dawson’s selection. I could imagine the SA coaches reading it and being happy with his selections. 

It's basically what Sir Clive Woodward would pick, and then be utterly bemused when they lose...

It looks like the pundits such as Dawson are picking their selections without having seen any of the tour matches so far. The inclusion of Simmonds by some of them being a perfect example. I was a huge supporter of him being selected for the tour based on club form this year. However he’s not lived up to his potential so far. 
Dawson also goes on about he’s always thought Daly’s best position is at 13. Yet up until the tour he’d only played once at centre according to the commentators yesterday. So elsewhere he goes on about experience in test matches but that doesn’t apply for Daly or (especially) Simmonds? I think they are both excellent players but the best options right now? 

20 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It looks like the pundits such as Dawson are picking their selections without having seen any of the tour matches so far. The inclusion of Simmonds by some of them being a perfect example. I was a huge supporter of him being selected for the tour based on club form this year. However he’s not lived up to his potential so far. 
Dawson also goes on about he’s always thought Daly’s best position is at 13. Yet up until the tour he’d only played once at centre according to the commentators yesterday. So elsewhere he goes on about experience in test matches but that doesn’t apply for Daly or (especially) Simmonds? I think they are both excellent players but the best options right now? 

I think you're right, Dawson just picks the team he'd like to see. So of course, no Scots. I don't think it is the team he expects the Lions to play. 

4 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

I think you're right, Dawson just picks the team he'd like to see. So of course, no Scots. I don't think it is the team he expects the Lions to play. 

I’m still amazed at Itoji going on about how everyone knows SA always play the exact same game and never change it. The same Itoji that was part of the England team that were surprised by, and wiped out by, SA in the World Cup final. 

All 3 Tests to be played in Cape Town now, rather than the 2nd and 3rd in Johannesburg.

South Africa have also named their team for the 1st test, with Kolisi returning from his Covid absence.

Lions team 'leaked'?

Hogg, VdM, Price start, Sutherland, Watson on bench.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19456958.british-irish-lions-team-announced-today-leaked-line-up-features-three-scots/?ref=twtrec

Stuart Hogg; Anthony Watson, Elliot Daly, Robbie Henshaw, Duhan van der Merwe; Dan Biggar, Ali Price; Wyn Jones, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tadhg Furlong, Alun Wyn Jones (captain), Maro Itoje, Courtney Lawes, Tom Curry, Jack Conan. Substitutes: Ken Owens, Rory Sutherland, Kyle Sinckler, Iain Henderson, Tadhg Beirne, Hamish Watson, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell. 

Distinct lack of Welshmen......

1 hour ago, DETTY29 said:

Lions team 'leaked'?

Hogg, VdM, Price start, Sutherland, Watson on bench.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19456958.british-irish-lions-team-announced-today-leaked-line-up-features-three-scots/?ref=twtrec

Stuart Hogg; Anthony Watson, Elliot Daly, Robbie Henshaw, Duhan van der Merwe; Dan Biggar, Ali Price; Wyn Jones, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Tadhg Furlong, Alun Wyn Jones (captain), Maro Itoje, Courtney Lawes, Tom Curry, Jack Conan. Substitutes: Ken Owens, Rory Sutherland, Kyle Sinckler, Iain Henderson, Tadhg Beirne, Hamish Watson, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell. 

Distinct lack of Welshmen......

Don't see what Watson, or Daly have done to earn selection? Adams over Watson all day.

Beirne unlucky not to start.

The rest what you would have expected.

I P Knightley
7 minutes ago, LMc said:

It's the back three, half-backs and front row that I'd have chosen and the locks I'd expect, even though I'd be very nervous about putting A-WJ in there with his wonky shoulder when there are perfectly good alternatives in the squad.

Odd selection for the back row. Beirne is the better BIG #6; Conan was, imo, the poorest who's played at #8 on tour. Although I much prefer Watson, I recognise that Curry is very close to him; a great option to be able to replace one of them with the other after 50 minutes or so.

Who would have thought a year ago that there would be so much grumbling about Chris Harris not getting a start? Daly was Gatland's 'special pick' for the tour so it's no surprise that he's been put in the team but Henshaw didn't impress particularly in the hour or so he played.

Harris is the biggest loser in that selection; others will say Adams but I've made my point about him not bringing as much all-round ability to the table. The best finisher, for sure, but less likely than Watson or VdM to create opportunities.

Malinga the Swinga

Harris very un

2 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

It's the back three, half-backs and front row that I'd have chosen and the locks I'd expect, even though I'd be very nervous about putting A-WJ in there with his wonky shoulder when there are perfectly good alternatives in the squad.

Odd selection for the back row. Beirne is the better BIG #6; Conan was, imo, the poorest who's played at #8 on tour. Although I much prefer Watson, I recognise that Curry is very close to him; a great option to be able to replace one of them with the other after 50 minutes or so.

Who would have thought a year ago that there would be so much grumbling about Chris Harris not getting a start? Daly was Gatland's 'special pick' for the tour so it's no surprise that he's been put in the team but Henshaw didn't impress particularly in the hour or so he played.

Harris is the biggest loser in that selection; others will say Adams but I've made my point about him not bringing as much all-round ability to the table. The best finisher, for sure, but less likely than Watson or VdM to create opportunities.

Agree that Harris very unlucky not to make team, never mind squad. Daly will be targeted as he can't tackle and not sure how fit Henshaw will be. Worried about Itoje and Lawes as well, as they tend to give away loads of penalties.

I P Knightley
2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Harris very un

Agree that Harris very unlucky not to make team, never mind squad. Daly will be targeted as he can't tackle and not sure how fit Henshaw will be. Worried about Itoje and Lawes as well, as they tend to give away loads of penalties.

Good point - I've not been keeping track of Itoje's penalty count on tour but having the two liabilities in the same team could prove costly.

Ali Price has done so well to develop to this point of the highest honour in rugby. Though probably the jury is still out among most Scotland fans.

Gatland has always rated Hogg highly. To pick him over Williams is a big statement. 

I think it's a decent team though they will find it tough. Its not really enough time to put together a team though the South Africans have had problems in preparation too. 

John Findlay

If as reported we want to start the game fast, then I would have started with Mish Watson née Curry and brought Curry on around the 55 minute mark after Watson had tackled the life out the Boks.

Roxy Hearts

Happy Murray isn't playing and Lawes is a liability. I'm not a big fan of Wyn-Jones as more of a presence than a player! The Lions forwards will struggle in general. Hope I'm wrong and glad to see Scotsmen in the team. Price hasn't been that good for Scotland but has played well on this tour. Hopefully he can bring his game to Scotland as appears to have improved. 

The Mighty Thor

Gatland being Gatland.

The Saffers will undoubtedly be right up in the faces of Itoje and will get a decent return on penalties out of him, i'd also imagine that AWJ will find out how strong his shoulder is in the first ten minutes or so. 

Hamish Watson should feel aggrieved as he's what Curry wants to be when he grows up.

That whole back line could easily have looked very different as could the midfield, where Harris should be starting.

we'll see come Saturday. 

I P Knightley
6 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Ali Price has done so well to develop to this point of the highest honour in rugby. Though probably the jury is still out among most Scotland fans.

Gatland has always rated Hogg highly. To pick him over Williams is a big statement. 

I think it's a decent team though they will find it tough. Its not really enough time to put together a team though the South Africans have had problems in preparation too. 

Not this one. Mind you, that is comparing him to the latter day Greig Laidlaw who I thought had all the agility of a supertanker. Seeing Price come on for him was nothing but blessed relief. I admint, his form dipped a little when Laidlaw retired and he wasn't really being challenged but I'm chuffed to bits for him that he's had a blinding tour thus far.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Gatland being Gatland.

The Saffers will undoubtedly be right up in the faces of Itoje and will get a decent return on penalties out of him, i'd also imagine that AWJ will find out how strong his shoulder is in the first ten minutes or so. 

Hamish Watson should feel aggrieved as he's what Curry wants to be when he grows up.

That whole back line could easily have looked very different as could the midfield, where Harris should be starting.

we'll see come Saturday. 

:biglaugh:

I also want to be Hamish Watson. I'm going for the mullet, albeit a little bit greyer than 'Mish's.

My son and I were chatting about this selection; he's a far more astute observer of the game than me. He reckons that Gatland has caught cold feet about his strategy and game plan by bringing in Lawes as the big lunk in the back row. Beirne deserves his spot because he's a great handler of the ball and, so, he can be deployed out on the wing beside VdM when the Lions are going through phases of play. It's a strategy that plays well against the Boks who defend narrowly - ship the ball wide when you have a couple of forwards (effectively) out wide and you're more likely to find your way round them. Try spinning a ball wide to Lawes, however, and you're asking for trouble.

You're right about AWJ - I'll bet a large sum of money that the Stormers were told to go soft on the old geezer so that the selectors would be under the impression that he's sound. The media definitely fell for it. I didn't get the impression in that match that AWJ really stretched himself or got properly stuck in. Therefore, you can bet your BD that the boks will be introducing his shoulder to all kinds of scrutiny. Fair play if he comes through it; I wouldn't have risked it.

Seems a pretty reasonable team. You do wonder at the logic of the team that came 5th in the 6N having 6 representatives whilst the 3 teams that finished above them have 3 each, but it could just be that Eddie Jones failed to get the best from the English team this year.

Eben Etzebeth is currently at home googling "shoulders and how to dislocate them" He's not as dirty a player as some think but he is a massively strong physical 2nd row that enjoys the physical. The boy has arms the size of legs. 

I think two things have influenced the team selection. 

I think that with no Russell (I think they might have started him), they need creativity from somewhere. Connor Murray is all box kicks and slow play these days. Had to be out. Price will get the ball out quick and call some of the shots from the base. With Biggar providing all-round safe hands more than vision, this is important. 

with Biggar at 10, midfield creativity has to come from somewhere. Hogg and Daly provide this. They can be on the shoulder of the big hit runners (Henshaw, both Wings). Both have cannon boots to clear lines. 

I think Gats has seen the Boks A first 20 minutes and decided to go solid for the first 30 minutes and not loose the game then. Lawes  and Curry are in for tackling and line out jumping for this reason IMO. 

i think Tadgh Beirne is really unlucky. 

Mish from the bench makes sense. He will be very lively in the loose for approx 35 minutes

I can live with these calls. We need to start solid and then can draw from some incredible attacking options from the bench as required. If we need to throw the ball around, Mish, Simmonds, Beirne, Smith, Zammit all really up the mobility and could facilitate the Hail Mary approach if required. Sinckler and Mako as well to a lesser degree. 

Edited by CMc

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/16057/12361669/british-and-irish-lions-furious-after-south-african-tmo-appointed-for-firsttest

TMO for first test is south african marius jonker after new zealander Brendon Picklerill had to withdraw

And Gatland is furious about that.

He's the same TMO who looked at Faf's head on Navidi and decided it was no more than a yellow. Personally, I think it was the right call but I'm not an expert on the guidance on what does and what doesn't constitute a red card when there's a collision. I never thought that Fagerson's against Wales was a red, so what do I know?

Intriguing statistical look at the players in contention for places.

Not a huge difference from the team picked with a couple of other notable observations.

Farrell should be playing at 10 but not based on performances at 10. (?)

Mario Itoje should be nowhere near the starting line up.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/lions-test-xv-warren-gatland-20625981.amp?__twitter_impression=true

John Findlay
1 hour ago, steve123 said:

Apparently prop pulled out injured Wyn Jones I think, Rory Sutherland replaces him.

Yup four Scotsman start. Hopefully do us proud and themselves.