***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

FarmerTweedy
44 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Personally I don’t think so. It’ll be our longest stretch without a game (5 working days) for a while so there’s more opportunity in the next week than there has been but I doubt it. Starting to doubt we’ll see anything until last few weeks of August to be honest.

Surely all of August counts as being in the last few weeks of August?  ;)

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

The wait doesn’t bother me. Too often we’ve brought in a barrel load of players, much to everyone’s delight, only to find out most of them are duds. If we only bring in 2 - but they make a significant impact/difference- then I’ll be delighted 

Mr Elwood P
7 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I don’t think anyone can be classed as being negative for simply pointing out the fact that we have only signed one new player (on loan) in the window so far. I’ve been accused of being negative or “pant wetting” for wondering what the hold up was a month ago. I can even understand that, but if we go into August with the same one signing it’s no longer negative pant wetting (not that it ever was) it’s just fact. Even the most optimistic of fans at the start of the window wouldn’t have thought that only one signing by this point would be the case.

Not least as lot of players have left. But also, mainly, we’re a newly promoted side - that alone would make you think squad additions would have been made by now. It would be perfectly normal for fans of ANY newly promoted side (Dundee up here, Norwich, Brentford and Watford down south for example) to be concerned by lack of signings when making a step up. Why Hearts fans should be any different, and instead get accused of being negative pant wetters is mind boggling.

Considering Ginnelly only played 6 Championship games for us I think it’s fair to say he’ll be like having a ‘new’ signing. Souttar if fit will also be a massive upgrade on last campaign.

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Surely all of August counts as being in the last few weeks of August?  ;)

Well I meant probably last 2 weeks, but could be by 2nd (of 4) as few means three.

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Considering Ginnelly only played 6 Championship games for us I think it’s fair to say he’ll be like having a ‘new’ signing. Souttar if fit will also be a massive upgrade on last campaign.

Although I understand this argument - these players were intended to be playing last season too (Souttar you could argue not). So again, considered part of a Championship squad that needs improvement after promotion. Also as you pointed out these players didn’t play much, so there’s risk of injuries with those two (Souttar in particular) so add to that we’ve had 11 departures from last season’s squad (and some more out on loan this season) adding only one new incoming player to a newly promoted side - it’s reason enough to worry about what might happen this season.

I had a dream last night where we signed Jerome Sinclair, which was bizarre considering I’ve never seen the boy play.

In the dream he signed on a free and scored a barrel load before leaving for the English championship at the end of the season. Was a class year. 

Does this count as a rumour?

Niemi’s gloves
14 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I don’t think anyone can be classed as being negative for simply pointing out the fact that we have only signed one new player (on loan) in the window so far. I’ve been accused of being negative or “pant wetting” for wondering what the hold up was a month ago. I can even understand that, but if we go into August with the same one signing it’s no longer negative pant wetting (not that it ever was) it’s just fact. Even the most optimistic of fans at the start of the window wouldn’t have thought that only one signing by this point would be the case.

Not least as lot of players have left. But also, mainly, we’re a newly promoted side - that alone would make you think squad additions would have been made by now. It would be perfectly normal for fans of ANY newly promoted side (Dundee up here, Norwich, Brentford and Watford down south for example) to be concerned by lack of signings when making a step up. Why Hearts fans should be any different, and instead get accused of being negative pant wetters, is mind boggling.

A couple of points. Firstly these are not normal times. Think of the revenue we are set to lose in gate and hospitality money over our first three home league matches against Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs. That’s a problem for nearly all Scottish clubs and I’d say it’s pretty clear most will be operating with thinner squads than usual. We need a few good signings, not a scatter gun approach.

Secondly, we were operating with a fairly large (indeed bloated) squad by championship standards last year. I really don’t think that those who have now left contributed a whole lot last season (obviously guys like Berra and Naismith had done in the past) and to some extent they have been replaced by signings made in January. Neilson has indicated a preference for working with a fairly tight squad, something I’d agree with. 

Basically I’m with Baxfree, reasonably relaxed but would still be happier with a couple of good signings. 

Tennant's  6's
17 minutes ago, Baxfee said:

The wait doesn’t bother me. Too often we’ve brought in a barrel load of players, much to everyone’s delight, only to find out most of them are duds. If we only bring in 2 - but they make a significant impact/difference- then I’ll be delighted 

That's the pressure on JS & the players themselves. 

Such has been the wait, and the colossal waste of £ on dross by CL, that it really has heightened the expectation & desire for these signings to really make an impact.

I guess we can only hope that those in charge if recruitment finally right the wrongs of the past few yrs 🤞

Mr Elwood P
17 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Although I understand this argument - these players were intended to be playing last season too (Souttar you could argue not). So again, considered part of a Championship squad that needs improvement after promotion. Also as you pointed out these players didn’t play much, so there’s risk of injuries with those two (Souttar in particular) so add to that we’ve had 11 departures from last season’s squad (and some more out on loan this season) adding only one new incoming player to a newly promoted side - it’s reason enough to worry about what might happen this season.

Alternatively folk think the squad needs massive improvement as Souttar and Ginnelly didn’t play that many games. How many additional points would we have secured with both of these players available? We’ll also benefit this season from not having to play games without Gordon when he’s away with Scotland. Lots of positives to be found, if you know how to look for them!

9 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Arguably Ginelly , GMS and Gnandouillet were brought in as part of the rebuilding process for this season .

Nobody on here knows where we are with other signings .

Strongest rumour has been that we have 2 virtually signed . Maybe fairly high profile . 

People now saying they have fallen through , maybe 

If we have set our sights reasonably high but we fail (this time) I have no problems with that .

If that was the case I would expect 2-3 loanees coming in . Again not a problem , surely ?

We won't be getting a running commentary on specific signings . Nor should we .

Not being successful in signing a certain player is not failure . There are a number of things outwith our control with any signing .

The groundswell of grumblings about Savage is nonsense . I , for one , will wait to see where our squad is by August and then see where we are by January

9 hours ago, chrisg8 said:

Very mouthy pal 

Very Hubs pal! , this place is reeking with moaners and undercover vermin just trying to start fights, so tedious.

13 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Arguably Ginelly , GMS and Gnandouillet were brought in as part of the rebuilding process for this season .

Strongest rumour has been that we have 2 virtually signed . Maybe fairly high profile . 

If we have set our sights reasonably high but we fail (this time) I have no problems with that .

If that was the case I would expect 2-3 loanees coming in . Again not a problem , surely ?

Not being successful in signing a certain player is not failure . There are a number of things outwith our control with any signing .

The groundswell of grumblings about Savage is nonsense . I , for one , will wait to see where our squad is by August and then see where we are by January

Reasonable intelligent articulate and measured👏🙏  it’ll never catch on with the bed wetters. 

BackOfTheNet
31 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

A couple of points. Firstly these are not normal times. Think of the revenue we are set to lose in gate and hospitality money over our first three home league matches against Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs. That’s a problem for nearly all Scottish clubs and I’d say it’s pretty clear most will be operating with thinner squads than usual. We need a few good signings, not a scatter gun approach.

Secondly, we were operating with a fairly large (indeed bloated) squad by championship standards last year. I really don’t think that those who have now left contributed a whole lot last season (obviously guys like Berra and Naismith had done in the past) and to some extent they have been replaced by signings made in January. Neilson has indicated a preference for working with a fairly tight squad, something I’d agree with. 

Basically I’m with Baxfree, reasonably relaxed but would still be happier with a couple of good signings. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Alternatively folk think the squad needs massive improvement as Souttar and Ginnelly didn’t play that many games. How many additional points would we have secured with both of these players available? We’ll also benefit this season from not having to play games without Gordon when he’s away with Scotland. Lots of positives to be found, if you know how to look for them!

20 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

I do understand all the points being made.

Was our squad bloated? Of course it was, and I don’t think anyone has shed a tear for any who have left (Irving maybe for some, but that was more potential being let go than actual performance standards I expect)

Would we have secured more points and performed better with fully fit Souttar and Ginnelly? I would suspect so, no guarantees of course. But much like the argument of getting one or two quality additions in, what happens if they’re injured? We need to rely on those coming in for injuries and suspensions to keep the standards up. So in reality we don’t need to just improve with a jump up in leagues, we also need to improve on the backup levels. Souttar and Ginnelly were already the starters last year and we relied on the backup, so we can’t really count them as improvements this year. They are still the first team choices, but the backup to them is either the same standard or gone, so this needs looked at too.

Gnanduillet, GMS and McEneff were most certainly brought in for this season coming. And I will say GMS looks hugely improved from where he came in. But he still needs tested at Premiership level again, as do the two others. I believe Gnanduillet has was it takes and McEneff has the attributes, but his position is unforgiving so I’m not sure he’ll be given the run of games to prove what he can do in the box to box role. It’s also a position I suspect as being seen as a need for the recruitment department (Halliday as backup is okay, maybe, but I have fears relying on him as a first choice central midfielder at this level)

I do believe a tight knit squad is essential. But we need to increase the overall standard. Centre back in particular if we’re playing a back three. Up front if we ever plan on playing two up top we need more than Gnanduillet and Boyce in case one (or both) are injured or suspended. I sincerely hope Harry Stone has a recall clause in case anything happens to Gordon. I don’t want McEneff playing RWB if Smith is out. Are the youngsters good enough to step up at Premiership level? We’re honestly at least 4 signings away from what’s needed. And that would still be keeping a small squad with youngsters making up the numbers. 

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Geoff Kilpatrick

I'm predicting 8th for this team if nothing changes. We desperately need a centre half and more attacking help.

1 hour ago, pointon said:

Really surprised by the  lack of transfer activity I would have thought with it being Joe Savages first real window there would be a real statement of intent still time I suppose however concern is creeping in

Maybe that is what is driving the delays or perceived delays. He wants the right players as he will be judged on players in the end not the speed he has acquired them. 

1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Explain fully, how nothing has changed between losing 2-1 to Brora Rangers and then losing 2-3 at home to QOTS, compared  with a run of consecutive clean sheets with a number of goals scored? No subjective or objective rationale for the statement ‘nothing has changed’ .

OK we've got a smaller squad and changed to 3 at the back and beat teams like the mighty alloa. Do you think we're gonna attack celtic, Robbie/Craig and cathro have all had a hand in our regressionand it's been overseen by someone who's happy to ignore the fans but still expect money, The only thing the club has got better at since budge came in is playing to the sentiments of the support to get money out of them.The happy clappers are only happy to look back 8 games yet the last 5years is irrelevant. Everyone at the club just now is a failure, 

4 minutes ago, Rods said:

Maybe that is what is driving the delays or perceived delays. He wants the right players as he will be judged on players in the end not the speed he has acquired them. 

And what happens if we don’t get the right players, do we sign nobody or what ?

Stendelnator
1 minute ago, mitch41 said:

And what happens if we don’t get the right players, do we sign nobody or what ?

Well yes that’s how it works. If you can’t get players who will improve the squad then why sign anyone?

Mr Elwood P
8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I do understand all the points being made.

Was our squad bloated? Of course it was, and I don’t think anyone has shed a tear for any who have left (Irving maybe for some, but that was more potential being let go than actual performance standards I expect)

Would we have secured more points and performed better with fully fit Souttar and Ginnelly? I would suspect so, no guarantees of course. But much like the argument of getting one or two quality additions in, what happens if they’re injured? We need to rely on those coming in for injuries and suspensions to keep the standards up. So in reality we don’t need to just improve with a jump up in leagues, we also need to improve on the backup levels. Souttar and Ginnelly were already the starters last year and we relied on the backup, so we can’t really count them as improvements this year. They are still the first team choices, but the backup to them is either the same standard or gone, so this needs looked at too.

Gnanduillet, GMS and McEneff were most certainly brought in for this season coming. And I will say GMS looks hugely improved from where he came in. But he still needs tested at Premiership level again, as do the two others. I believe Gnanduillet has was it takes and McEneff has the attributes, but his position is unforgiving so I’m not sure he’ll be given the run of games to prove what he can do in the box to box role. It’s also a position I suspect as being seen as a need for the recruitment department (Halliday as backup is okay, maybe, but I have fears relying on him as a first choice central midfielder at this level)

I do believe a tight knit squad is essential. But we need to increase the overall standard. Centre back in particular if we’re playing a back three. Up front if we ever plan on playing two up top we need more than Gnanduillet and Boyce in case one (or both) are injured or suspended. I sincerely hope Harry Stone has a recall clause in case anything happens to Gordon. I don’t want McEneff playing RWB if Smith is out. Are the youngsters good enough to step up at Premiership level? We’re honestly at least 4 signings away from what’s needed. And that would still be keeping a small squad with youngsters making up the numbers. 

How long is Jamie Brandon out for? Last chance saloon but provides cover for Smith if fit. I think everyone knows we need a centre back, centre midfielder and another forward player to compete with what looks a first choice front 3 now. To upgrade these positions is probably quite difficult, which I suspect is causing the delay. Frustration will reach boiling point if we don’t sign anyone and lose to Celtic. Alternatively we beat Celtic and folk chill the **** out ….

Mr Elwood P
7 minutes ago, Herbert said:

OK we've got a smaller squad and changed to 3 at the back and beat teams like the mighty alloa. Do you think we're gonna attack celtic, Robbie/Craig and cathro have all had a hand in our regressionand it's been overseen by someone who's happy to ignore the fans but still expect money, The only thing the club has got better at since budge came in is playing to the sentiments of the support to get money out of them.The happy clappers are only happy to look back 8 games yet the last 5years is irrelevant. Everyone at the club just now is a failure, 

What is your actual  point?

7 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

How long is Jamie Brandon out for? Last chance saloon but provides cover for Smith if fit. I think everyone knows we need a centre back, centre midfielder and another forward player to compete with what looks a first choice front 3 now. To upgrade these positions is probably quite difficult, which I suspect is causing the delay. Frustration will reach boiling point if we don’t sign anyone and lose to Celtic. Alternatively we beat Celtic and folk chill the **** out ….

Brandon hasn’t even been given a squad number for this season, the silence about him has been quite unusual 

6 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

What is your actual  point?

We're shite and something drastic needs to happen in the next week or so or its gonna be a long season.

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

The lack of height at the back has been highlighted in the games we’ve played this season. It’s only due to the poor finishing of the opposition who have been unable to take the chances that have come from corners and free kicks. If we are to play 3 at the back 2 more centre backs will be required with Soapy the only existing player on the books good enough to be a first pick. Halkett & Popescu should only be required to fill in for injuries or suspensions.

3 minutes ago, Herbert said:

We're shite and something drastic needs to happen in the next week or so or its gonna be a long season.

It doesn't matter what the club do, what players they buy or how they play. It will be a long season for you and anyone who has to read your shite.

Hackney Hearts
12 minutes ago, Herbert said:

and beat teams like the mighty alloa. 

Not all 'diddy' clubs though, tbf. As well as beating the mighty Alloa 6-0, we've also thrashed ICT (won the Scottish Cup more recently than us), and Raith (won the League Cup more recently than us). 

You can only beat what's in front of you, as they say. Let's hope we continue to do that in the Premiership. Couple of signings would be nice.

29 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

I'm predicting 8th for this team if nothing changes. We desperately need a centre half and more attacking help.

I’d agree with that but think that is way too low for Hearts!!

Byyy The Light
21 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If we beat Celtic the moaning face twits on here will just say it’s the worst Celtic team in the last 15 years.

Its not a criticism of people, some fans just will never ever be happy. If Hearts started regularly winnings things and playing in the Champions league they’d just moan that the stadium is full of glory hunters.

Strange way to go through life but some people are just wired to constantly see the negatives in life.

Ps We’re definitely in need of a few signings 

10 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

It doesn't matter what the club do, what players they buy or how they play. It will be a long season for you and anyone who has to read your shite.

Put me on ignore if you don't want to read my shite, it's a public forum you should maybe stick to private groups with people that all have the same opinion as you if you don't like reading an alternate view.

11 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

Not all 'diddy' clubs though, tbf. As well as beating the mighty Alloa 6-0, we've also thrashed ICT (won the Scottish Cup more recently than us), and Raith (won the League Cup more recently than us). 

You can only beat what's in front of you, as they say. Let's hope we continue to do that in the Premiership. Couple of signings would be nice.

Raith and ICT are mid table championship clubs. Where do you see us?

Mr Elwood P
16 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

The lack of height at the back has been highlighted in the games we’ve played this season. It’s only due to the poor finishing of the opposition who have been unable to take the chances that have come from corners and free kicks. If we are to play 3 at the back 2 more centre backs will be required with Soapy the only existing player on the books good enough to be a first pick. Halkett & Popescu should only be required to fill in for injuries or suspensions.

Ah right, I forgot about the famous JKB, ‘goals we could have conceded’ column….

Just now, Herbert said:

Put me on ignore if you don't want to read my shite, it's a public forum you should maybe stick to private groups with people that all have the same opinion as you if you don't like reading an alternate view.

Great idea, it's not just an alternative opinion though, it's finding the negative in everything and moaning about last season, 5 years ago and everything in between, there is no logic to it just everything and everyone is shite all of the time win lose or draw.

BackOfTheNet
27 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I’ve said before this is our best chance to beat Celtic for a long time. Their defence is a shambles, they’ll be travelling to Denmark midweek which will take things out of them and they face us only 3 days after returning. So an opportunity missed if we don’t win or take something out of the game I say. If we had a few first team level signings in the squad for the weeks running up to the game would have increased our chances more.

Brandon is out of contract at the end of the season and has no squad number, I think that says we can’t rely on him. And to be honest other than just before his injury under Stendel he’s not the level of backup we need. But maybe one of the other youngsters could step up, but I don’t know.

But you agree that signings are needed, which was my point. So people pointing out that they’re needed isn’t pant wetting, it’s factual observation. I just hope it doesn’t get to the end of the window and we panic sign.

Mr Elwood P
20 minutes ago, Herbert said:

In March yes, currently we look a lot better …

1 minute ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Ah right, I forgot about the famous JKB, ‘goals we could have conceded’ column….

But forget about the goals we could have scored, that doesn't matter

Mr Elwood P
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’ve said before this is our best chance to beat Celtic for a long time. Their defence is a shambles, they’ll be travelling to Denmark midweek which will take things out of them and they face us only 3 days after returning. So an opportunity missed if we don’t win or take something out of the game I say. If we had a few first team level signings in the squad for the weeks running up to the game would have increased our chances more.

Brandon is out of contract at the end of the season and has no squad number, I think that says we can’t rely on him. And to be honest other than just before his injury under Stendel he’s not the level of backup we need. But maybe one of the other youngsters could step up, but I don’t know.

But you agree that signings are needed, which was my point. So people pointing out that they’re needed isn’t pant wetting, it’s factual observation. I just hope it doesn’t get to the end of the window and we panic sign.

I don’t think anyone is saying we don’t require signings. Just some folk can keep their pants dry while waiting for the new arrivals. Others are lashing out with hysterical nonsense. Others are getting very tense. Quality additions ASAP would also be preferred but we have literally no idea how potential deals are progressing under Savage and Co….

16 minutes ago, Andyp1874 said:

I’d agree with that but think that is way too low for Hearts!!

Good thing is teams will be looking for full points at Tynecastle and won't be sitting back. 

7 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Great idea, it's not just an alternative opinion though, it's finding the negative in everything and moaning about last season, 5 years ago and everything in between, there is no logic to it just everything and everyone is shite all of the time win lose or draw.

Typical small minded child.

Just now, jambopilms said:

We haven't been beaten since March. Reading some comments it would seem we haven't won since March.

Last season was irrelevant according to some on here so does it matter?

10 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

In March yes, currently we look a lot better …

How because in the last 8 games we've beat teams that shouldn't pose a problems but we can't look any further back than that? 

BackOfTheNet
14 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

I don’t think anyone is saying we don’t require signings. Just some folk can keep their pants dry while waiting for the new arrivals. Others are lashing out with hysterical nonsense. Others are getting very tense. Quality additions ASAP would also be preferred but we have literally no idea how potential deals are progressing under Savage and Co….

Have to agree that some of the insults and nonsense about Savage is uncalled for and over the top. That is certainly pant wetting. Fans can be frustrated by lack of signings though, for the reasons I’ve pointed out, as we want to kick on. I’m not saying we’re going to be relegation candidates or anything, but unless the first few games of the season tell us any different, I can’t say this current squad has top 6 guaranteed. Which, as I say, for a newly promoted side is not unreasonable with the squad they got promoted with. Which is why it needs much improved to kick on.

And someone else mentioned earlier that we’re in different times in regards to budgets etc, this is true. But we are one of the most financially savvy Scottish clubs according to recent reports and a club of our size should aim for better, and other clubs have managed not just to sign players but players that you would think are a decent level for them and in their numbers. I’m all for quality over quantity, but we need at least 4 and it’s getting to the last month of the window with not a peep that we’re even close. Savage and Neilson have indicated that we’re close - but they’ve indicated this weeks ago. In Neilson’s case at the start of pre-season. So either we weren’t or were and it fell through.

Are those insulting Savage and co for the lack of signings pant wetters? Absolutely. Are people expressing concern at the current squad level with no signings on the horizon pant wetters? Absolutely not.

3 minutes ago, Herbert said:

How because in the last 8 games we've beat teams that shouldn't pose a problems but we can't look any further back than that? 

We can only beat the teams in front of us. If you can't take any joy from a winning run and a couple of defeats from march still overrides everything then you must be unbearable to live with.

gorgieheart

So, is this still a transfer thread or has it degenerated into yet another...." I hate Neilson, more than you do" thread  ?  

Folk need to wise up , get used to the fact that Bob is here,  back him , back the team and gies peace with the constant and boring moaning  ! 

Are the transfer pant wetters the same folk that have wet pants after 20 mins of the match threads. It's not over till it's over.

3 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

So, is this still a transfer thread or has it degenerated into yet another...." I hate Neilson, more than you do" thread  ?  

Folk need to wise up , get used to the fact that Bob is here,  back him , back the team and gies peace with the constant and boring moaning  ! 

Nobody has said they hate him, Just that he is shite and way over his head.

12 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Nobody has said they hate him, Just that he is shite and way over his head.

The stats show a different picture in fairness.

niblick1874

I am sorry, I just couldn't resist it, even though I agree with a lot of what he is saying.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***