***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I am in denial at the moment but have a nagging feeling we are going to struggle in the league cup games. Will be ugly. 

We need to sort our shit out in these games. Last few seasons we’ve looked ropey in most of these games. The LC groups are the start of the season and strong, confident performances will boost morale and tee us up nicely for the start of the league. 

The excuses for sub par performances on this site are embarrassing. Some even suggesting they are little more than pre-season friendlies. 

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

9 minutes ago, daftie said:

Im still not convinced GR. I still think he can come good for us. 

He has been slightly disappointing I admit, but not many people were disappointed when we signed him. Time will tell obviously, but I just wish more fans were more non judgmental (not aimed at you). 

I just wish we we were more optimistic, rather than pessimistic. I think this year we are going to be best of the rest. 

I hope you’re right. I just feel that our chosen formation will shape his future at the club. He came with a big reputation from Livingston, who played with a back three and looked really good towards the end of last season, in a back three. I could be oversimplifying it but it’s just how I feel. 

Don’t get me wrong, he has had some good games in a back 4 but largely spoilt by silly errors. 

Edited by GinRummy

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I presume some clubs will want to meet the parents as that is a good indicator of adult height.

Tbf one of my mates is 6'5 and his dad's 5'8, mum is 5'0. 

Always the chance he's not really his dad I guess 😂

I think halkett could come good with a decent partner or in a back 3. Really struggled with Berra and popescu. Just wish we had signed Logan and moved smith into the middle

1 minute ago, Sertse said:

Tbf one of my mates is 6'5 and his dad's 5'8, mum is 5'0. 

Always the chance he's not really his dad I guess 😂

Dinnae tell him that ffs 😂

13 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I hope you’re right. I just feel that our chosen formation will shape his future at the club. He came with a big reputation from Livingston, who played with a back three and looked really good towards the end of last season, in a back three. I could be oversimplifying it but it’s just how I feel. 

Don’t get me wrong, he has had some good games in a back 4 but largely spoilt by silly errors. 

I agree with you, I think this year will be his last chance with us if he plays well in a back three then he may be offered another contract if not then bye bye imo.

Absolute Scenes
6 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

I think halkett could come good with a decent partner or in a back 3. Really struggled with Berra and popescu. Just wish we had signed Logan and moved smith into the middle

Van Dyke would look crap in between those two

Halkett deserves a clean break

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Dinnae tell him that ffs 😂

My Mrs always said he looks Polish and when me and him went to Krakow he picked the language up suspiciously fast come to think of it🤔

BackOfTheNet
47 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I am in denial at the moment but have a nagging feeling we are going to struggle in the league cup games. Will be ugly. 

To be fair there’s every reason to think that. Unless there were some bad eggs that were bad for the dressing room that have since left, the same team that underwhelmed (always about the level of whelm) last season and coaching staff are all the same. Only difference is that some players will have had a chance to get fit and pre-season which some January signings hadn’t had. But not much of a chance, as you say 17 days. I’d hope we’re not in for a Cathro like League Cup group though.

Absolute Scenes
9 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

To be fair there’s every reason to think that. Unless there were some bad eggs that were bad for the dressing room that have since left, the same team that underwhelmed (always about the level of whelm) last season and coaching staff are all the same. Only difference is that some players will have had a chance to get fit and pre-season which some January signings hadn’t had. But not much of a chance, as you say 17 days. I’d hope we’re not in for a Cathro like League Cup group though.

Apart from  Killie, what other teams have been making really solid signings in good time? Hibs have signed a keeper and crocky Murphy. Aberdeen have signed several that haven’t even turned my head. Every team is in the same position I’d say. I am in agreement though that our whelms need nurturing by the next signings we make.

7 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Apart from  Killie, what other teams have been making really solid signings in good time? Hibs have signed a keeper and crocky Murphy. Aberdeen have signed several that haven’t even turned my head. Every team is in the same position I’d say. I am in agreement though that our whelms need nurturing by the next signings we make.

Bottom line is, until we actually make signings there’s not a lot to say. As you say, nobody else has signed anyone that looks a really great signing and I’m sure all the other clubs would prefer to get their business done early doors as well. 

BackOfTheNet
18 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Whether signings will be solid are not are anyone’s guess. St. Johnstone still the only team not to have signed anyone. Aberdeen signed 6, St. Mirren 7, Motherwell 3. Others teams varying. Point I’m making is going into the League Cup group we’re going in as a squad much lighter with zero additions to what was here last season. I’m not sure what the teams in our group have signed/let go in terms of their squad cohesion. Or what sort of season they finished with, whereas we finished off underwhelming and have introduced not a thing to change that - so will be interesting to see if things do change, but understandable to imagine they wouldn’t.

57 minutes ago, Sertse said:

My Mrs always said he looks Polish and when me and him went to Krakow he picked the language up suspiciously fast come to think of it🤔

is his postie polish (and 7 ft tall?)

Ford Prentice
7 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Whether signings will be solid are not are anyone’s guess. St. Johnstone still the only team not to have signed anyone. Aberdeen signed 6, St. Mirren 7, Motherwell 3. Others teams varying. Point I’m making is going into the League Cup group we’re going in as a squad much lighter with zero additions to what was here last season. I’m not sure what the teams in our group have signed/let go in terms of their squad cohesion. Or what sort of season they finished with, whereas we finished off underwhelming and have introduced not a thing to change that - so will be interesting to see if things do change, but understandable to imagine they wouldn’t.

We used the League cup group stage last year to try out kids and forgotten men (Wighton). Imagine it'll be the same this time. So no rush 

8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It’s the attitude we go into league cup games with that have caused us to put in poor performances and not the personnel. Look at last season. We won all our games, most in an unconvincing manner then as soon as the league started we thrashed Dundee. We don’t view the LC games as the start of the season and that’s why we put in shabby performances that look more like pre-season friendlies. We have few injuries, as far as I know so why would this side not have a convincing start to the LC campaign-

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley/Halliday

Ginelly

Mceneff

Haring

GMS

Boyce

Gnando

There is no excuse, other than poor preparation for unconvincing LC group performances. We are playing against a pile of utter shite.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
16 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

7 minutes ago, Ford Prentice said:

We used the League cup group stage last year to try out kids and forgotten men (Wighton). Imagine it'll be the same this time. So no rush 

No we didn’t. Only the Raith game saw us playing a shadow side. Wighton played regularly on the first round of league fixtures. 

BackOfTheNet
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s the attitude we go into league cup games with that have caused us to put in poor performances and not the personnel. Look at last season. We won all our games, most in an unconvincing manner then as soon as the league started we thrashed Dundee. We don’t view the LC games as the start of the season and that’s why we put in shabby performances that look more like pre-season friendlies. We have few injuries, as far as I know so why would this side not have a convincing start to the LC campaign-

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley/Halliday

Ginelly

Mceneff

Haring

GMS

Boyce

Gnando

There is no excuse, other than poor preparation for unconvincing LC group performances. We are playing against a pile of utter shite.

That’s true. That team should have no issues winning every game in our group. So questions would need to be asked (again) if there are issues. Problem is that team is what struggled last season (a few personell changed around of course due to injury or manager selection choices).

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Remember that ad! But are we using the moral of the story from that start of this season or the last, as that’s kinda the issue here…

Lord Beni of Gorgie
12 minutes ago, Barack said:

That rabbit was a wee trollop. 

She through her sweetie about alright 

19 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley/Halliday

Ginelly

Mceneff

Haring

GMS

Boyce

Gnando

Probably stats would back up my feeling that Neilson just doesn't take this competition too seriously.  If true, that does my heid in.

Our record is attrocious and I want to see us treating these group games like cup finals and banging in goal after goal.

Honestly feel that would set us up for the league.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Gordon

Smith

Halkett

Souttar

Kingsley/Halliday

Ginelly

Mceneff

Haring

GMS

Boyce

Gnando

Robbie has already stated LC will be kids 

17 minutes ago, ericb said:

Hadn’t heard that but I’m not surprised. Let the kids come on in games when we are comfortably in front. If they’re not good enough for that they are not good enough to play in cup competition. Last season proved that the board will judge Neilson on the league, no surprise if he doesn’t give a **** about the cups. 

Edited by GinRummy

Guest ToqueJambo
19 minutes ago, ericb said:

Where? Disappointing if so. Neilson needs to do better in all the cups. Many fans have made it clear that solid league results alone are not enough for them to get behind him.

2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Quite a few folk have said halkett has struggled due to his various partners. There’s always the possibility he could be the problem as he’s been the one constant through it all🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Hadn’t heard that but I’m not surprised. Let the kids come on in games when we are comfortably in front. If they’re not good enough for that they are not good enough to play in cup competition. Last season proved that the board will judge Neilson on the league, no surprise of he doesn’t give a **** about the cups. 

So 2 of the 3 trophies available our manager doesn’t give a **** about. Not only that, the board know it and accept it.

Robbo-Jambo
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Where? Disappointing if so. Neilson needs to do better in all the cups. Many fans have made it clear that solid league results alone are not enough for them to get behind him.

If he starts dismissing cup competitions then is denser than he looks.

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

So 2 of the 3 trophies available our manager doesn’t give a **** about. Not only that, the board know it and accept it.

Doubt it’s that blunt from the board but there is a difference between prioritising the league and not taking the cups seriously. We have the balance wrong imo and next season we must do much better. RN couldn’t underperform against Hibs or Celtic in the big cup last year but we need to get to that stage first and a change of attitude is required. 

3 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Quite a few folk have said halkett has struggled due to his various partners. There’s always the possibility he could be the problem as he’s been the one constant through it all🤷‍♂️

Test will be if playing with souttar and still

maoonn same mistakes. Our options have been poor so far

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If true it’s chronic as we are basically treating 1 of the only 2 trophies we have any real chance of winning as warm up games. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

I think we will look at 3 at the back where Halkett looks much more comfortable. We do need some more attacking WB alternatives and a new CB though to really make it work.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

No-one has as yet provided a quote to back this up.

1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

Test will be if playing with souttar and still

maoonn same mistakes. Our options have been poor so far

Hopefully he comes good but I’m not expecting much having watch 2 seasons of car crash defending from him. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Same accusations thrown at Levein but didn't see much praise being thrown around for the cup runs. 

Including myself, but just for balance, even good cup runs are not to everyone's taste 

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I think we will look at 3 at the back where Halkett looks much more comfortable. We do need some more attacking WB alternatives and a new CB though to really make it work.

If we are planning 3 at the back I reckon we need 2 new cb’s. I thought we looked far better with 3 at the back compared to Robbie’s preferred 4231 last season so I hope he’s giving it serious thought. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Russ1977 said:

If we are planning 3 at the back I reckon we need 2 new cb’s. I thought we looked far better with 3 at the back compared to Robbie’s preferred 4231 last season so I hope he’s giving it serious thought. 

Looked like at at the tail end of last season after Souttar returned. Definitely need two new CBs whatever formation we're planning, or one CB and someone who can also play RB or LB.

Batistuta87
26 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

A bit early to be jumping to conclusions like that is it not? 

Definitely taking our time with transfers... Don’t want them to come in late then we have cold start to season. Ready made excuses 

Couldn't give a **** about the League Cup personally. No problems playing the kids in that competition. 

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

Couldn't give a **** about the League Cup personally. No problems playing the kids in that competition. 

Quite right. Chuck away our chance of success in one of two competitions we have a chance of winning. 

Arthur Morgan

Erm I for one would like us to break our League Cup duck. I know it's not as important and prestigious as the Scottish Cup but it's still something we should be seriously aiming to win.

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

Why? It's a competition we've not won in decades. How any Hearts fan can come away with such a statement shows an arrogance way beyond our standing.

Arthur Morgan
Just now, DG_HMFC said:

Why? It's a competition we've not won in decades. How any Hearts fan can come away with such a statement shows an arrogance way beyond our standing.

This. I would like to see us win it. We really should have against St Mirren in 2013.

17 minutes ago, Norm said:

Is the league cup beneath us? 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***