10 April 2021: Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?

David McCaig

10 April 2021: Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?

merseyjambo
1 minute ago, DH1986 said:

But it wasn’t better after dropping Berra.....I’ve just told you we lost 18 goals in the final 11 league games without Berra.....we lost 15 in CL’s 11 league games.

Stendel beating Rangers twice is great......but taking one point from 6 v Hamilton is really what mattered. What also mattered is he was the only one of the 3 managers last season to lose to St Mirren....we put 5 past them under MacPhee remember.

He failed.....miserably. That is just a fact.

Maybe the fact that Berra wasn’t fit enough to play in Stendals system was the issue

We’ll never know if he would have ultimately failed. The league was stopped before the games were finished and coming back fresh for the last 8 games with squad we had, I’d have fancied our chances

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Pasquale for King

• kingantti1874

• Cruyff

6 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Maybe the fact that Berra wasn’t fit enough to play in Stendals system was the issue

We’ll never know if he would have ultimately failed. The league was stopped before the games were finished and coming back fresh for the last 8 games with squad we had, I’d have fancied our chances

Stendels system, with the players he had available....was the issue.

He wanted a sweeper keeper but didn’t recognise that the GK might need wrists stronger than wet tissue paper to save shots on the odd occasion. It took him more than two months to figure that out. 

We will obviously never know what might have been so it’s best to stick with what we do know......and that is DS didn’t improve us and took us further down the league than when he found us.

Once everyone accepts this we can stop discussing the guy. 

6 hours ago, Diego10 said:

With this team, no.  We'll sign better players in the summer though, and his record in the Scottish league is clearly good in terms of overall results.

He can sign better players but he’s shown this season he can’t manage or set up said players correctly. Our squad on paper is decent in premier terms this year but have looked hopeless at times. 

3 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

He can sign better players but he’s shown this season he can’t manage or set up said players correctly. Our squad on paper is decent in premier terms this year but have looked hopeless at times. 

Our squad on paper isn't good in Premier terms.  We have a glaringly weak central defence and central midfield. We also lack pace (or at least pace with ability)

Tbh if he'd signed one good ch and got more mobility in CM we'd probably have won every game in the league this season.  Signing 5 ineffectual wingers was a poor use of resource

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

But it wasn’t better after dropping Berra.....I’ve just told you we lost 18 goals in the final 11 league games without Berra.....we lost 15 in CL’s 11 league games.

Stendel beating Rangers twice is great......but taking one point from 6 v Hamilton is really what mattered. What also mattered is he was the only one of the 3 managers last season to lose to St Mirren....we put 5 past them under MacPhee remember.

He failed.....miserably. That is just a fact.

Macphee played them at home ffs 🙈.  He also had a go at Celtic Park. 
How anyone can be judged on three months in that shit show is a joke. Bet you loved Levein and his protege. 
Enjoy your night pal. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Do why did you vote for him to stay then 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😆?

Must have pressed the wrong button.....!

3 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

I just want someone who can get me excited about watching Hearts again. Neil or McInnes. No thanks.

There are a lot of good young coaches out there cutting their teeth in lower leagues in England. Teams who have struggled in recent years like Blackpool, Cambridge and Cheltenham to name a couple have turned it around massively with coaches who are on the up. Same with Flynn at Newport. Good coach, playing football. These are the type of guys we should be looking at before bigger clubs come in and poach them. The SPL would be a good stepping stone for them. We’ve missed out guys like the Cowleys, Grant McCann, Jimmy F-H because we’ve not looked. The only time we did was with DS but bringing a manager in mid season who wants to play gegenpressen football with an unfit squad was not going to work.

Making the appointment when we hold the cards with a clean slate and a transfer budget is when we should do it, not when we’re towards bottom end of table.

Totally agree, some folk want to give Neilson the first round of fixtures. And all this nonsense about he’s fulfilled his brief of getting us promoted? We’re the third biggest club in Scotland but the cups don’t matter this season. Time for change is end of season.

Ok he has achieved one objective winning promotion. However his performance cannot just be judged on that alone. He needs to be measured on at least two additional metrics.

1. Performance  in transfer market. FAILED. Too many signings that are nowhere near good enough for the Championship never mind the Premier League. Only Craig Gordon has been a success. McEneff showed good signs on Friday night of there being a player there. Nevertheless the rest have been appalling in the main.

2. improving performance of team individually/collectively. FAILED.  No single player has shown any reasonable level of improvement throughout the season. Once again Friday night showed that in Henderson we may have one player who could show a level of improvement but one game is not enough. Otherwise the performance until Friday night collectively has been very poor and no player, particularly younger ones such as Irving, has shown any marked improvement in their performance.

These two metrics have to be used to measure the overall performance of Neilson and his coaching staff as a whole and they have failed. Do we really think poor performance in these areas will all of a sudden improve sufficiently to make us a force in the Premier League? My own view is definitely no. Having said all that it is pretty clear he will be in charge for the start of next season as I do not see our Board having the guts to make that sort of hard decision based on the correct performance metrics and not just one being promotion.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's deja vu all over again. What on earth makes people think the current board will make the right managerial decision the next time? I'd argue appointing Neilson is the only one they've got right since the last time they appointed Neilson.

Let's cut to the chase here. The person most people have a problem with is Budge, that's why we keep hearing all this "last 5 years chat". The last 5 years were nothing to do with Neilson. He took over when we needed a manager willing and able to get us promoted with all the uncertainty (if you read Stendel and his agent's comments in June last year he was not willing to commit to that without some guarantees we couldn't make). He's done a 6/10 job for me up to Jan and a 2/10 job after Jan. so not great but still better than our last 3 managers.

So why not focus all your attention on Budge instead of her managers if your real end goal is getting rid of her?

Alex Neil, Derek McInness, for different reasons  wouldn't make me more confident of next season than retaining Neilson. If we appointed Duncan Ferguson I'd be excited but nervous as anything could happen. Finding a manager isn't as easy as folk make out. When a team with Celtic's stature and millions can't persuade an out of work manager not even being seriously linked to anyone to take over, how can we persuade decent managers, especially when budgets are uncertain? And Aberdeen went with an American B team manager.

The best candidates we've been connected with for me since Neilson have been Dougie Freedman and Aidy Boothroyd, looking at their records, experience and ability to work with young players. That was a very encouraging sign for me and it's a shame we couldn't get one of them, but they're both still young. 

Aside from that, every season is a good season for Robbo to step in. And even better, the boo boys etc would only have to change a couple of letters in their Robbie Out posters a couple of months into next season.

It doesn’t matter who is in charge at the club the biggest percentage of the support want you out Robbie. 

1 hour ago, eyesandears said:

Yep. It's the statement about details for the open top bus parade and championship celebration dinner :whistling:

1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Chic dungs cats budgies heard on the grapevine that blah blah blah.

Pinch of salt.

1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

And the lego bus announcement mind.

😄

complete control
50 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

Our squad on paper isn't good in Premier terms.  We have a glaringly weak central defence and central midfield. We also lack pace (or at least pace with ability)

Tbh if he'd signed one good ch and got more mobility in CM we'd probably have won every game in the league this season.  Signing 5 ineffectual wingers was a poor use of resource

Bang on 

ford donald
46 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Must have pressed the wrong button.....!

Really gets me annoyed,rather than get a decent manager in,they vote for him to stay,ffs.

16 minutes ago, ford donald said:

Really gets me annoyed,rather than get a decent manager in,they vote for him to stay,ffs.

I'd like to see Stendel get the job with a pre season and his own players in. Won't happen of course, but I hope we steer away from ex players for the next manager.

4 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

I just want someone who can get me excited about watching Hearts again. Neil or McInnes. No thanks.

There are a lot of good young coaches out there cutting their teeth in lower leagues in England. Teams who have struggled in recent years like Blackpool, Cambridge and Cheltenham to name a couple have turned it around massively with coaches who are on the up. Same with Flynn at Newport. Good coach, playing football. These are the type of guys we should be looking at before bigger clubs come in and poach them. The SPL would be a good stepping stone for them. We’ve missed out guys like the Cowleys, Grant McCann, Jimmy F-H because we’ve not looked. The only time we did was with DS but bringing a manager in mid season who wants to play gegenpressen football with an unfit squad was not going to work.

Making the appointment when we hold the cards with a clean slate and a transfer budget is when we should do it, not when we’re towards bottom end of table.

Great post, totally agree. 

My slight concern is we tried this with Stendel, but it was too big a change in style and approach from where we were when he arrived. I still think Stendel would have got his ideas across successfully with time and patience, but it's two things he ultimately didn't have. He tried to do too much too quickly.

Our first task on promotion is simply to re-establish ourselves as a top 6 side and challenge for Europe. Robbie has lost the support, and possibly also the dressing room. I'd recruit McIness on a two year deal to achieve that. His style is similar to Neilson, but the difference is McIness generally got results home and away at bottom six sides and Hibs. It's also overlooked that McIness's Aberdeen teams when he had Adam Rooney and Goodwillie at his disposal were more exciting - could Boyce allow him to replicate that with us?

Regardless, once we're re-established, that's the time to be adventurous and get a young ambitious coach like those you suggest. 

I don't want us to gamble trying to make that one big leap now. 

Edited by blairdin

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Section Q said:

I'd like to see Stendel get the job with a pre season and his own players in. Won't happen of course, but I hope we steer away from ex players for the next manager.

Most managers prefer taking over in the summer to work on fitness, tactics and formations, we had the longest pre season ever and after signing 13 players our manager has no clue whatsoever what his best team or formation or tactics and they look unfit  🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈

ford donald
1 hour ago, JamboBoy said:

Ok he has achieved one objective winning promotion. However his performance cannot just be judged on that alone. He needs to be measured on at least two additional metrics.

1. Performance  in transfer market. FAILED. Too many signings that are nowhere near good enough for the Championship never mind the Premier League. Only Craig Gordon has been a success. McEneff showed good signs on Friday night of there being a player there. Nevertheless the rest have been appalling in the main.

2. improving performance of team individually/collectively. FAILED.  No single player has shown any reasonable level of improvement throughout the season. Once again Friday night showed that in Henderson we may have one player who could show a level of improvement but one game is not enough. Otherwise the performance until Friday night collectively has been very poor and no player, particularly younger ones such as Irving, has shown any marked improvement in their performance.

These two metrics have to be used to measure the overall performance of Neilson and his coaching staff as a whole and they have failed. Do we really think poor performance in these areas will all of a sudden improve sufficiently to make us a force in the Premier League? My own view is definitely no. Having said all that it is pretty clear he will be in charge for the start of next season as I do not see our Board having the guts to make that sort of hard decision based on the correct performance metrics and not just one being promotion.

It was his job to motivate players when their form drops or the hunger goes, he has failed miserably in that,the performances have been brutal at times,tactics very poor,plenty excuses from him,referees,bad pitches,teams sitting in,goalies playing well,really? The man is not fit to manage Hearts,if we have any ambition.

13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Most managers prefer taking over in the summer to work on fitness, tactics and formations, we had the longest pre season ever and after signing 13 players our manager has no clue whatsoever what his best team or formation or tactics and they look unfit  🤷🏾‍♂️🤔🙈

Two lousey seasons and we're back with a clean slate if we can empty Neilson/Damour/Popescu and bring on some of our youngsters. It's not rocket science, but we're a soft touch these days....

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Diego10 said:

The good news is we have 5 months to fix those areas. Neilson obviously knows these are the problem areas. He brought Souttar in as soon as he could and targeted Findlay for next season. A new CH coming in is a given. McEneff provides a lot more mobility in midfield - give the guy a chance. I like the look of him.

Can't disagree about the wingers, but unlike Levein and Stendel Neilson at least tried to address our lack of width. And I'd argue Ginnelly was effective and a good signing. You're right though, 1 out of 5 wingers being good isn't great. Who knows what's wrong with GMS mind you - surely we were all expecting more from him?

Guest ToqueJambo
25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Are you just willfully ignoring the pandemic? We only played about 4 or 5 warm up games. How much training could we do in terms of typical pre-season training? When we were actually allowed to train again? And don't forget being ordered to stop training which is when Soapy got injured. NOW we will have the longest pre-season ever so let's hope we make the most of that and don't start complaining when we use our dead duck league games to try a few things.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

Just like Neilson lost Souttar and Ginnelly to injury? It amazes me how quick people are to make excuses for Stendel but not Neilson. Lucky some of us are willing to stand up for Neilson to balance things up a bit! I do agree we would have stayed up under Stendel if we'd been able to play on, and I would have loved to see what kind of team he could have built. Ultimately though he failed at his very important short-term job. Everyone knew the league was going to be stopped when it was.

Regardless of what people think on here, I can't see any change in management happening between now and the first quarter of next season at the earliest.

The board are going to say the objective was to get promotion and he achieved that so job done.  They probably don't care about cups this season as without fans the cup runs are probably loss making.

Italian Lambretta
11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Regardless of what people think on here, I can't see any change in management happening between now and the first quarter of next season at the earliest.

The board are going to say the objective was to get promotion and he achieved that so job done.  They probably don't care about cups this season as without fans the cup runs are probably loss making.

The fatal mistake she's made twice already.

Ahhh what the hell lets go for the triple whammy................

10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I suspect you are right on all fronts. This approach will get us back into the same mess we have been before with the same dithering before taking the appropriate action too late. We should be a stick on with our resources for a Top 6 place but I would not bet much on that happening. I will, of course, be more than happy to have my words rammed down my throat 6 months from now if I have got it wrong though. I just wish I had confidence in a Board who could find themselves acting similarly. They always seem to think they are right no matter what which is a major continuing concern as to the culture that seems to pervade the corridors of power at Tynecastle. That was why Levein fitted in so well and survived so long. We never seem to learn!

merseyjambo
20 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Just like Neilson lost Souttar and Ginnelly to injury? It amazes me how quick people are to make excuses for Stendel but not Neilson. Lucky some of us are willing to stand up for Neilson to balance things up a bit! I do agree we would have stayed up under Stendel if we'd been able to play on, and I would have loved to see what kind of team he could have built. Ultimately though he failed at his very important short-term job. Everyone knew the league was going to be stopped when it was.

So Stendal didn’t lose Souttar, Washington etc. Every manager has injuries and I was replying to poster as to why Berra didn’t play in Stendals system. He wasn’t fit enough as in he didn’t have the legs to play gegenpressen. No excuse, you just seem to forget he wasn’t binned due to injury.

Everyone knew the league was going to be stopped, but how many people expected it to be called and the teams at bottom to be relegated. I suspect those that knew what transpired after league was stopped should be playing the lottery because with that sort of foresight they’ll be multi millionaires. 

Guest ToqueJambo
11 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

So Stendal didn’t lose Souttar, Washington etc. Every manager has injuries and I was replying to poster as to why Berra didn’t play in Stendals system. He wasn’t fit enough as in he didn’t have the legs to play gegenpressen. No excuse, you just seem to forget he wasn’t binned due to injury.

Everyone knew the league was going to be stopped, but how many people expected it to be called and the teams at bottom to be relegated. I suspect those that knew what transpired after league was stopped should be playing the lottery because with that sort of foresight they’ll be multi millionaires. 

Stendel actually got Souttar and Washington back, plus Naismith and a couple of others! I'm probably in the minority on here (in fact I'm definitely in a minority of probably just me) but if Levein had got those players back he'd probably have kept us up even if the league had ended early.

Who in our squad had the legs to play gegenpresse anyhow? Clare, Washington, Moore... And who did Stendel sign who had the legs for it? certainly not Adjavi and Langer. Conor Washington was tailor-made for that and that's why Levein originally signed him. Stendel did what Cathro did and put his system and style ahead of getting results.

The best proof of that is persisting with popadom hands in goal because he was a "sweeper keeper"

Edited by ToqueJambo

Pasquale for King
56 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Two lousey seasons and we're back with a clean slate if we can empty Neilson/Damour/Popescu and bring on some of our youngsters. It's not rocket science, but we're a soft touch these days....

Definitely.
It won’t be easy to get these guys off the books though, they’re not likely to just go and clubs are cutting back. You have to tell they’re free to go and then they or Savage can try to get them new clubs. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Italian Lambretta said:

The fatal mistake she's made twice already.

Ahhh what the hell lets go for the triple whammy................

Yup,not learning from her mistakes is what has cost her the admiration of many a fan.

Rocky jamboa

Crazy that anyone has changed their opinion on whether he should stay or go based on one win via part time, bottom of the table alloa! 

Good to see that the vast majority know he needs to go. As does budge. 

siegementality
5 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Are you just willfully ignoring the pandemic? We only played about 4 or 5 warm up games. How much training could we do in terms of typical pre-season training? When we were actually allowed to train again? And don't forget being ordered to stop training which is when Soapy got injured. NOW we will have the longest pre-season ever so let's hope we make the most of that and don't start complaining when we use our dead duck league games to try a few things.

Remind me how long after we started training did the rest of the Championship teams commence their training?

5 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The good news is we have 5 months to fix those areas. Neilson obviously knows these are the problem areas. He brought Souttar in as soon as he could and targeted Findlay for next season. A new CH coming in is a given. McEneff provides a lot more mobility in midfield - give the guy a chance. I like the look of him.

Can't disagree about the wingers, but unlike Levein and Stendel Neilson at least tried to address our lack of width. And I'd argue Ginnelly was effective and a good signing. You're right though, 1 out of 5 wingers being good isn't great. Who knows what's wrong with GMS mind you - surely we were all expecting more from him?

Ginelly was unlucky with injury, he certainly looked an upgrade.  But bringing in Frear and Kastaneer who weren't even as good as Morrison and Moore was daft.   

I think McEneff looks like he could be an excellent signing.  Saturday was about the first time he's been used correctly though and it's that kind of nonsense that's got 90% of the support against him

Ron Burgundy
9 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

Crazy that anyone has changed their opinion on whether he should stay or go based on one win via part time, bottom of the table alloa! 

It's incredible. 

There will be fans who live on results week by week and they’ll actually think because we beat Alloa Athletic 6-0 everything is rosey in the garden, well there’s always that few isn’t there. And remember there could be quite a few that haven’t seen many games but I can guarantee that if they knew about football and witness the amount of games that Hearts were a shambles they’d be voted that Neilson should be emptied ASAP. Just wait till the gates open and we’ll see how long it takes before Ann Budge has to get rid of Neilson and giving him the job of leading us into the new season will be a massive mistake.

And you must remember there will always be people who will vote to keep the current manager even if we play poor every week, get beat every week, and believe the promises that things will get better. Loyalty can only stretch so far because when the team is mismanaged everyone suffers.

23 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

........................ whilst currently being 13 points in front of the team in second place, with a goal difference of 32 to their 12.

Neilson is as clueless as that.

2 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

........................ whilst currently being 13 points in front of the team in second place, with a goal difference of 32 to their 12.

Some achievement winning the championship. Our budget multiple times higher than anyone else and with players that the other teams could only dream of. Whoop! 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Some achievement winning the championship. Our budget multiple times higher than anyone else and with players that the other teams could only dream of. Whoop! 

It's amazing Rangers and Celtic fans celebrate their guaranteed title every season. They should be embarrassed frankly.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

It's amazing Rangers and Celtic fans celebrate their guaranteed title every season. They should be embarrassed frankly.

I haven’t once said the players shouldn’t celebrate or that individual fans shouldn’t. 

kingantti1874

Asking Neilson to fix out problems is like asking Connor Sammon to fix Spurs goal scoring problems.

he can’t - because he doesn’t have the talent. It’s that simple

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

Hate to explain what context means, does he know what his best team or formation is having played over 30 games this season? 
You do realise that he has a £9m budget and has signed more players than other team in the tinpot league? We have the oldest squad in the country and have been awful in the majority of matches whether we’ve won them or not. 

Pasquale for King
46 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

And you must remember there will always be people who will vote to keep the current manager even if we play poor every week, get beat every week, and believe the promises that things will get better. Loyalty can only stretch so far because when the team is mismanaged everyone suffers.

Having experienced what we have with Levein it’s way beyond loyalty, it’s borderline insanity. 

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Asking Neilson to fix out problems is like asking Connor Sammon to fix Spurs goal scoring problems.

Exactly. 

Pasquale for King
18 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

I wouldn’t put money on her knowing he has to go, if she had any concept of knowing what the fans want she would be away with him. 

Rocky jamboa
26 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I wouldn’t put money on her knowing he has to go, if she had any concept of knowing what the fans want she would be away with him. 

Sorry. I meant Budge should go as well, as opposed to her knowing neilson should go. It wasn't worded the best!! 

From the way Robbie's been talking recently, it sounds like he'll be here for the start of next season unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Neilson

First season, won promotion by huge margin.

Second season, up to third.

Third season, we were second when he left

This season, won promotion with games to spare and massive goal difference advantage.

Shameful record. We demand better than this.

If people are unhappy there's one way to show the club, don't buy season tickets cancel everything associated with Hearts, they will soon get the message they need us more. 

It's that simple. 

No Idle Talk

I am not voting in the poll as I am in neither the Yes or No camp at this point. I can see the arguments for keeping him but I also understand the nervousness about keeping him from the people who want him to go.

My main concern at this point is we keep him and then two months into next season he has to be sacked or resigns. That would leave us in a really bad situation. It's a definite possibility that could happen because Robbie would be starting next season with a not insignificant number of Hearts supporters not wanting him as manager. That's a difficult situation to be in. If Robbie goes out and buys 6-8 players in the summer then he is gone two months into the season, that's a disaster for Hearts. You're then looking at finding another manager and potentially ANOTHER squad overhaul. Nobody wants that. 

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Sorry. I meant Budge should go as well, as opposed to her knowing neilson should go. It wasn't worded the best!! 

From the way Robbie's been talking recently, it sounds like he'll be here for the start of next season unfortunately. 

Sorry I maybe read it wrong.
Yeah I’m getting the dreaded feeling he’s not going anywhere too 🙈

35 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If people are unhappy there's one way to show the club, don't buy season tickets cancel everything associated with Hearts, they will soon get the message they need us more. 

It's that simple. 

I get the feeling you are very happy. 

You are either Hibs or have a personal agenda against the club. 

Actively encouraging people to harm the club is out of order. 

14 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I get the feeling you are very happy. 

You are either Hibs or have a persional agenda against the club. 

Actively encouraging people to harm the club is out of order. 

Yeah I'm hibs 🤔so what do you suggest, because it's quite obvious the fans aren't being listened too?. 

Hearts till i die 👍