10 April 2021: Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?

David McCaig

10 April 2021: Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Pasquale for King

• kingantti1874

• Cruyff

6 minutes ago, alanjambo said:

No. I would prefer Alex Neil. I just think putting a poll up the very minute we win the league is pathetic.  But, he should go at the end of the season.

People are always complaining that the "Robbie out" polls are created after bad events like getting beaten by Brora Rangers, and so are unfair in that everyone's in a bad mood and are just reacting to events. So, to counter that, this one has been created when we've just won the league. Seems reasonable to me.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Actually goes against my instincts to say no.

Could use continuity but fairly sure we need someone with better connections and gravitas. 

His 2 previous premier seasons suggest the panic is just that, but can we do better, no is my honest answer. Sorry Bob.

Edited by Sir Gio

I'm a maybe today, only because of last night's performance, another 3 similar performance like that and I would give him the chance of next season. If we switch off again he can GTF.

I still don't know if it's the players deciding when to turn up or the management.

You have to laugh at some of the ignorant and uncouth rubbish spouted here.

Well done Hearts and Robbie N.

Edited by Sidelight

Gordon Ramsay

No. 

He's a younger version of Levein. Same shite excuses, same arrogance. 

Leave at end of season. 

At the moment it is a No for many reasons.

It's not just the Alloa and Brora Cup games. Those were one off unacceptable performances and results which happened because the standard wasn't good enough throughout. It's the turgid performances all season in the league too that haven't been to a good standard and there's been little consistency. 

We've got 3 games left and last night he played probably his 6th different formation and probably his 23rd different starting XI. 

He's been here one short season and he's also filled the squad with crap bar one or two. 

Right now how can we have any faith that Robbie can, A. Build a decent squad and B. Find consistency and performances out of that squad at a much higher level. Everything suggests he cannot.

I think the best decision for the board at the minute is to find someone with a good track record and experience, who would be more likely to achieve our goals next season. I don't think it's worth taking the risk of keeping him on and wasting another season.

56 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Jump in front of me in the reach around queue. I can tell you’re just jealous. 

I'm not welcome  😢

coatbridgejambo
1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Thanks for getting us back up.

I don’t like to kick him as he is a Hearts supporter and done what was asked but I’m hoping we do part ways but not expecting it. If he’s here then he will get my backing for a new season as would any hearts manager.

I’d love a change though . A dignified parting of the ways would be my wish

Pretty much the train I'm on

Too much money being wasted, he’s barely survived the championship and lost us the Scottish cup with his dogshit tactics in the first half.

out. 

Dagger Is Back

If RN goes now he can content himself in the knowledge that he will be one of very few Managers who've won the Championship 3 times.

Guest ToqueJambo

Yes. Immediately addressing our long-standing problem positions - goalie, wide (he got unlucky with Ginnelly's injury) and LB - and getting off to such a good start against Dundee, plus the Hibs semi and cup final performance earned him the chance to build his own team this summer.

However, I'd like to see more youngsters given opportunities next season and for us to take ALL the cup competitions seriously no matter who we're playing or what round it is.

Edited by ToqueJambo

39 minutes ago, alanjambo said:

There's absolutely no glory in it. But that still doesn't mean a poll should instantly go up. I just find it a bit classless. Leave it for tomorrow.

Ach, never mind. It's Saturday night. Ill just stay away from my phone and have a beer.

Get pissed and post more. That makes it more fun...till tomorrow 😂

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yes. Immediately addressing our long-standing problem positions - goalie, wide (he got unlucky with Ginnelly's injury) and LB - and getting off to such a good start against Dundee, plus the Hibs semi and cup final performance earned him the chance to build his own team this summer.

😂😂😂

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

However, I'd like to see more youngsters given opportunities next season and for us to take ALL the cup competitions seriously no matter who we're playing or what round it is.

How come you give him credit for the semi etc, but don't hold him responsible for the League Cup or Scottish Cup?. 

Batistuta87

No. But because he's achieved his target of winning the league this season, he'll probably be given a chance. 

Now would be the absolute perfect time to cut the chord though. Get Alex Neil in before someone else takes him, then he's got the last few games to assess the team and work out what he needs to do over the summer. 

Guest ToqueJambo
32 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Get jim Jeffries down stairs and get they players up gullane sand dunes pre season

Levein tried that and all the injuries were blamed on that.

Rick Sanchez

Can't see me warming to him again tbh. I think he'll be kept on and I think we'll struggle.

It follows an all too familiar route under this stewardship. Delay, delay, delay. Whilst our club and the supporters suffer, suffer, suffer.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

How come you give him credit for the semi etc, but don't hold him responsible for the League Cup or Scottish Cup?. 

I do. I thought that was implied in the "ALL the cup competitions" bit? Neilson is a poor cup manager for me, so I'd like him to improve there. The Hibs and Celtic games were a big surprise as in general he's done poorly in all the cups as Hearts manager, although he did get unlucky drawing Celtic all the time in his last spell.

Firstly i would like to say thank you to RN and his coaching team for getting us back up, i would now like the club to replace him with a better manager, he is clearly not the man to take us forward and make progress as has been proven throughout this season, the brora result really has tipped the scales imo, no matter what he does, the fans will never forget/forgive that.

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, alanjambo said:

I think one of the things that has really annoyed me is not playing any youngsters. That's been really poor.

I'd also like some explanation for that. Did he want old heads for a quick return to the Premiership? Was it the pandemic not letting him assess youngsters properly in advance of the season plus no reserve/youth football happening so he thought loans was the way to go? Would be good to understand the thinking as it seemed the ideal time to blood a couple of kids least. Hopefully we'll see a few over the next few weeks.

Scottie Wanshot.

Considering all the things that Robbie has done for Hearts. 2 penalty kicks from winning the Scottish Cup, ok getting knocked out of the cup this year. but coming back and winning the league. He will get the team ready for next season, and we will hold our own.

3 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Firstly i would like to say thank you to RN and his coaching team for getting us back up, i would now like the club to replace him with a better manager, he is clearly not the man to take us forward and make progress as has been proven throughout this season, the brora result really has tipped the scales imo, no matter what he does, the fans will never forget/forgive that.

This! Busted flush and would be foolish to let him oversee the signings in the summer and start next season. 

Guest ToqueJambo

Bring back Stendel so we can say the word gegenpresse again! Apart from making the team worse despite getting half a team back from injury, putting us 4 pts adrift at the bottom when the league was called, persisting with our worst ever goalie for too long, playing Boyce too deep, and signing two of the worst players to be seen at Tynecastle in many a year in Avdijaj and Langer, all while getting paid a lot more than any Hearts manager since Romanov, he didn't do too badly. 

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

163627745_3703004129818599_4567164647140964821_n.jpg.4966c33fcb5c0f9b1ac0374d1e19854d.jpg

8FA9398B-D51D-484F-82E6-AB8D5F8B7FB0.thumb.jpeg.774c279e5b30451afc4ccc03043e6eed.jpeg

It's silly, but i can't argue, this is what we will have in store next season if RN remains in charge.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Bring back Stendel so we can say the word gegenpresse again! Apart from making the team worse despite getting half a team back from injury, putting us 4 pts adrift at the bottom when the league was called, persisting with our worst ever goalie for too long, playing Boyce too deep, and signing two of the worst players to be seen at Tynecastle in many a year in Avdijaj and Langer, all while getting paid a lot more than any Hearts manager since Romanov, he didn't do too badly. 

Who is suggesting we bring back stendel?

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Who is suggesting we bring back stendel?

Me. It's no more daft than sacking a manager for doing what he was hired to do this season.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Me. It's no more daft than sacking a manager for doing what he was hired to do this season.

It's not daft though, unless you want and accept that we will likely be bottom six and or struggling to stay up next season under RN, another season gone and more money wasted, whereas if we change now and get somebody decent in, who could progress the club and coach/improve the players better, we could then look to finish top 4 next season, all imo of course.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

What is the ****ing point of a forum to shout down those who say stay?

FFS its a free choice, mr vanilla for me, hes not great hes not shite but he's got an excellent win percentage and a shite cup record 

LarrysRightFoot

Some fans will never forgive Robbie for the Hibs game during his first spell

Some will never forgive home for the Birkirkara result 

Some will never forgive him for the Alloa cup result 

None will forgive him for the Brora result 

Guest ToqueJambo
9 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

It's not daft though, unless you want and accept that we will likely be bottom six and or struggling to stay up next season under RN, another season gone and more money wasted, whereas if we change now and get somebody decent in, who could progress the club and coach/improve the players better, we could then look to finish top 4 next season, all imo of course.

Neilson has never had us out of the top 3 in every season he's managed Hearts at any stage of the season in the Championship and Premiership. There's every reason he can rebuild next season and be in the mix for top 4. He knows where we need to strengthen. Findlay was a good signing target he missed out on. He's played winger roulette a bit much for my liking, but his first choice Ginnelly looked very good. Gordon and Kingsley were good signings, Logan, McEneff and Gnando too IMO. Halliday I wasn't so keen on and I always looked at Roberts and Frear as squad fillers. GMS was the big disappointment.

If he can build the team around Gordon, Souttar, Haring and Boyce we'll be in good shape. That's a very decent Premiership spine.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Neilson has never had us out of the top 3 in every season he's managed Hearts at any stage of the season in the Championship and Premiership. There's every reason he can rebuild next season and be in the mix for top 4. He knows where we need to strengthen. Findlay was a good signing target he missed out on. He's played winger roulette a bit much for my likening, but his first choice Ginnelly looked very good. Gordon and Kingsley were good signings, Logan, McEneff and Gnando too IMO. Halliday I wasn't so keen on and I always looked at Roberts and Frear as squad fillers. GMS was the big disappointment.

Robert’s and Frear were recruited as starters...don’t talk 💩

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Robert’s and Frear were recruited as starters...don’t talk 💩

Initially yes and they did half decent jobs in our good start to the season. They were stop gaps though. Guys who played in positions we needed strengthening in, who knew the league, had experience and were available. Maybe JJ had a say in those signings as acting Sporting Director? The January signings was much more more what Neilson is looking for long-term IMO.

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Neilson has never had us out of the top 3 in every season he's managed Hearts at any stage of the season in the Championship and Premiership. There's every reason he can rebuild next season and be in the mix for top 4. He knows where we need to strengthen. Findlay was a good signing target he missed out on. He's played winger roulette a bit much for my liking, but his first choice Ginnelly looked very good. Gordon and Kingsley were good signings, Logan, McEneff and Gnando too IMO. Halliday I wasn't so keen on and I always looked at Roberts and Frear as squad fillers. GMS was the big disappointment.

If he can build the team around Gordon, Souttar, Haring and Boyce we'll be in good shape.

Its a fair point he has never finished outside the top 3 however you have to take into consideration, that there was no rangers and no hibs in the 2015/16 season. I just don't see us getting in the top 4 under robbie this time, going by how we are playing this season and also the fact that i havent seen 1 player improve under his coaching, he has not introduced any youngsters to the first team and he has just brought in mostly a bunch of journeyman that don't care about the club and are only here to pick up a wage imo. Obviously CG was a great signing but he already wanted to come back to the club last season. 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Its a fair point he has never finished outside the top 3 however you have to take into consideration, that there was no rangers and no hibs in the 2015/16 season. I just don't see us getting in the top 4 under robbie this time, going by how we are playing this season and also the fact that i havent seen 1 player improve under his coaching, he has not introduced any youngsters to the first team and he has just brought in mostly a bunch of journeyman that don't care about the club and are only here to pick up a wage imo. Obviously CG was a great signing but he already wanted to come back to the club last season. 

Yes and in 14/15 he finished above better financed Hibs and Rangers. The point is Neilson has had us finishing where we all want and expect to be in the league in every season he's been Hearts manager. It's not his fault it was a weaker league some of those years. By contrast, Cathro, Levein and Stendel (all he had to do was beat a poor St Mirren, or Hamilton, Motherwell, Killie, Ross County and St J for that matter) all failed to do that. So did for that matter Sergio. The last manager to have us finishing where we should in the league was JJ in 2010/11. The cups are a different story for Neilson. I thought he'd turned a corner there with the Hibs and Celtic games this season but Alloa and Brora were big letdowns. Agree with others that players share the blame there, especially Brora.

Edited by ToqueJambo