10 April 2021: Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?

David McCaig

10 April 2021: Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Pasquale for King

• kingantti1874

• Cruyff

I have not voted mainly because the fact is there are so many non Hearts supporters on this site I actually wonder if the poll is indicative of the Hearts supporters. I have my doubts as to whether RN is the man for the job though.

Auldbenches
31 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

For me, now the title is wrapped up he has until the end of the season to produce more performances like last night. If that can be maintained then I'd be ok with him having a crack next season under the proviso that if things go downhill again he's gone. If last night proves to be a one off then replace him in the summer. 

You'd let him spend money in the transfer window because he done well in another 4 meaningless games?  

He has produced some of the worst results and performances in our history so needs to go.

He hasn't any credit left with the fans 

1 minute ago, jock _turd said:

I have not voted mainly because the fact is there are so many non Hearts supporters on this site I actually wonder if the poll is indicative of the Hearts supporters. I have my doubts as to whether RN is the man for the job though.

I know what you mean. It’s actually quite tricky to comprehend any hearts fan thinking Robbie Neilson gives us the best opportunity of a good season in the spl. 

David McCaig
4 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Thats the reasoning behind making the poll public.  It would be interesting to know why people think Neilson should be our Manager next season.

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

you realise 100% of the non hearts fans are voting for him to stay right. Not a single one would want him out the door.

I think he will still be here 100%. I'm not sure what it'll take for me to be convinced he should stay. Last night was a start, but there's a way to go yet.

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

You'd let him spend money in the transfer window because he done well in another 4 meaningless games?  

He has produced some of the worst results and performances in our history so needs to go.

He hasn't any credit left with the fans 

Would he even be the one spending the money? Surely the whole point of having Savage and this Recruitment Analyst we're advertising for is for them to identify the players based on what the head coach says is needed. 

Regardless, he wouldn't be the first manager in the history of football to have an absolute nightmare and then turn things around. I get it, we've been absolute pish and the performances and attitudes have been shameful and that ultimately falls on him. Before last night I was all for him going in the summer but the performance yesterday, with all the caveats that go with it only being Alloa etc, was so much better and if he can keep that going through the remaining games and into the Betfred groups (assuming they go ahead) in the summer then I think that's just about enough to let him get a chance to prove himself in the top flight. 

1 minute ago, Jamboross said:

Would he even be the one spending the money? Surely the whole point of having Savage and this Recruitment Analyst we're advertising for is for them to identify the players based on what the head coach says is needed. 

Regardless, he wouldn't be the first manager in the history of football to have an absolute nightmare and then turn things around. I get it, we've been absolute pish and the performances and attitudes have been shameful and that ultimately falls on him. Before last night I was all for him going in the summer but the performance yesterday, with all the caveats that go with it only being Alloa etc, was so much better and if he can keep that going through the remaining games and into the Betfred groups (assuming they go ahead) in the summer then I think that's just about enough to let him get a chance to prove himself in the top flight. 

For me, it’s not about just about being enough. The question is ‘is he the best man available for the job?’  Or ‘could we do better?’  Personally, I think the answer to those questions is very obvious. 

25 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

So, some folk have changed their minds because we beat Alloa 😂. No ****ing standards or level too low for some fans. 

It's frightening.

Borders Jambo
58 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

For me, now the title is wrapped up he has until the end of the season to produce more performances like last night. If that can be maintained then I'd be ok with him having a crack next season under the proviso that if things go downhill again he's gone. If last night proves to be a one off then replace him in the summer. 

This is where I am at.  I can't help but feel it may only be delaying the inevitable but if he can produce similar performances like last night.  It is a big "if". 

1 minute ago, Borders Jambo said:

This is where I am at.  I can't help but feel it may only be delaying the inevitable but if he can produce similar performances like last night.  It is a big "if". 

Only if we play Alloa at home. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

For me, it’s not about just about being enough. The question is ‘is he the best man available for the job?’  Or ‘could we do better?’  Personally, I think the answer to those questions is very obvious. 

Yeah, up to a point I agree. I haven't voted in the poll because really I'm on the fence. I'm ok with him staying if the improvment continues but even in that scenario I'm absolutely fine with him going if an outstanding candidate was available and indicated some interest in the job. 

59 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Should leave and not embarrass himself next year.

Im sure Alloa, Arbroath or Morton or a similar sized team would be delighted to have him. A club more suited to his abilities

Just like Levein should have left after the cup final! 😏 Like his mentor Neilson will hang around like a bad smell.

Borders Jambo
Just now, jr ewing said:

Only if we play Alloa at home. 

You may be right and I acknowledge that prior to last night I wanted him out.

This probably sounds ridiculous but I always remember Alex Ferguson and Man Utd and how he was on the verge of being sacked.  I am not for a moment suggesting RN is AF but I wonder if giving him the final few games of this season is his chance.

I am swayed and I openly admit this to the fact that RN is a Jambo.

I await the abuse. 

2 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

Yeah, up to a point I agree. I haven't voted in the poll because really I'm on the fence. I'm ok with him staying if the improvment continues but even in that scenario I'm absolutely fine with him going if an outstanding candidate was available and indicated some interest in the job. 

Each to their own bud. I’m no fan of unemployed mcinnes but would take him in a heartbeat over RN. I think it’s fair to Neilson that he gets a shot at the top league but I’m not really interested in what’s fair. It’s a time to be ruthless and move the club forward. Imo, of course. 

kingantti1874
Just now, Borders Jambo said:

You may be right and I acknowledge that prior to last night I wanted him out.

This probably sounds ridiculous but I always remember Alex Ferguson and Man Utd and how he was on the verge of being sacked.  I am not for a moment suggesting RN is AF but I wonder if giving him the final few games of this season is his chance.

I am swayed and I openly admit this to the fact that RN is a Jambo.

I await the abuse. 

😂 neilson will end up managing a part time club and pushing trolleys in Asda to make up his pay.

1 minute ago, Jamboross said:

My worry is that Robbie was a sensible choice and he's still struggled to get a tune out of the players often enough, to pull them out of the malaise that's affected us for years.  

6 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

Get him out and let the new man take us forward please. 

Which new man - and are you convinced that they can cut through the malaise that has afflicted us through several coaches? 

5 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

He's earned the right by getting us out of this league, the vote is pretty much moot on that basis. We've seen decent performances (Dundee, Raith away, Hibs, Celtic), some turgid and some utterly awful performances but the job is done.   

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Imagine winking a title and nearly 80% of fans wanting you gone. Its special kind of failure 

*80% of basement dwelling KBers

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Each to their own bud. I’m no fan of unemployed mcinnes but would take him in a heartbeat over RN. I think it’s fair to Neilson that he gets a shot at the top league but I’m not really interested in what’s fair. It’s a time to be ruthless and move the club forward. Imo, of course. 

Ruthless would be to bin anyone connected to this on-going malaise. Switching coaches might not achieve that if the issues are systemic - that's my worry.

The reach around gang have created another thread so they can continue the reach around  😃😃

Just now, Bull's-eye said:

The reach around gang have created another thread so they can continue the reach around  😃😃

Jump in front of me in the reach around queue. I can tell you’re just jealous. 

Wasn’t happy when he was brought back, the performances this season confirmed the reasons why. 

We will not progress under Neilson and I really don’t want to go through all the same shit performance - except we’ll be getting by beat - next season.

BRING_BACK_MO_BERTHA

He almost certainly should go but I think it’s pointless to sack him whilst Anne is still in charge. Whilst she has always wanted the best for Hearts and helped save the club (and gave the managers loads of backing) ultimately she has proven very poor at getting the right manager and players together for all bar first season. She isn’t the only one to blame for sure but I’ve lost faith in her getting the football decisions correct.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

People who have standards and expect the club to adhere to them. 

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The more discerning hearts supporter is smart enough to realise RN isn’t the best man for the job. Only an absolute fool would disagree. 

10 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Thanks for promotion Robbie but he has to go. If he stays prepare for zero cup runs. 

its not just the zero cup runs ,its the relegation fight that will come with him in charge

Ted Hastings

Aye **** it why no eh? Well and truly on the shandy booze and and feeling naively positive again against all reason. Plus he’s no going anywhere for now. 

Hopefully we build on the performance last night. Can’t wait for this to blow up in my stupid face. 

The one positive of him still being here is I’ll probably get to to go to the games with the reduced season ticket sales and likely capacity restrictions.

Edited by Ted Hastings

Not for me.

Now promotion is secured, I suspect we'll see a return to recent form and results in the remaining games.

The players lifted themselves last night to get us over the line but I doubt they will again. They've failed so often to be "up for it" when there's been Cup progression and important points at stake. Little chance of them showing any appetite for what are now 3 meaningless games.

A welcome performance and result last night but it doesn't make a successful 2021-22 any more likely than it was last week.

A malaise is a malaise, regardless of one big win.

SectionDJambo
40 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

you realise 100% of the non hearts fans are voting for him to stay right. Not a single one would want him out the door.

This is probably the most relevant measure of how good a job Robbie Neilson is doing, and is expected to do ongoing. Dundee United fans weren't rushing along to the Tay bridge to jump off it when they heard he was coming to us. Rival fans won't be losing any sleep over worrying about the impact they expect Hearts to make under him next season.

Hearts fans will have to give him the chance to show that he can bring us a team to be proud of. Significant progress will need to be seen to be done immediately, due to the years of decline that have been seen to be accepted by those running our club. That isn't all Robbie Neilson's fault, but it's what he signed up to. He's done himself few favours with the way his team have played this season, or his constant excuses along the way.

Like it or not, that Brora debacle will follow him around unless he manages to conjure up a trophy or European qualification very soon. Bobby Seith didn't recover from 01/01/73, despite having a great start to the following season. Football fans, all of us, are very unforgiving of embarrassing results. That will never change.

6 minutes ago, Ted Hastings said:

Aye **** it why no eh? Well and truly on the shandy booze and and feeling naively positive again against all reason. Plus he’s no going anywhere for now. 

Hopefully we build on the performance last night. Can’t wait for this to blow up in my stupid face. 

The one positive of him still being here is I’ll probably get to to go to the games with the reduced season ticket sales and likely capacity restrictions.

I agree. The fact he got the players motivated for one game in the last 6 should give him a run at the spl. What could go wrong?

I voted for him to stay because putting a poll up at the same time as we've won a league, no matter how weak it is, and no matter how much we shouldn't have ever been in it, is tragic and it's annoyed me.

If Neilson ever gets us playing forward football, I'll back him. If he persists in pish poor tippy tappy nonsense, I'll want him gone.  I don't have faith in him improving players so I probably do want him to go but the absolute rage that people feel, and how personal they are about it it, is sad.

Just now, alanjambo said:

I voted for him to stay because putting a poll up at the same time as we've won a league, no matter how weak it is, and no matter how much we shouldn't have ever been in it, is tragic and it's annoyed me.

If Neilson ever gets us playing forward football, I'll back him. If he persists in pish poor tippy tappy nonsense, I'll want him gone.  I don't have faith in him improving players so I probably do want him to go but the absolute rage that people feel, and how personal they are about it it, is sad.

Do you think he’s the best manager we could realistically get for next season. 

David McCaig
1 minute ago, alanjambo said:

Now that promotion has been confirmed, it is exactly the time when fans should he indicating whether or not they feel he is the right man to take us on the next stage of the journey.

People voting him to stay out of pity and  because they misunderstand the concept of the poll and its whether you think he will be there. Glowing endorsement. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Do you think he’s the best manager we could realistically get for next season. 

No. I would prefer Alex Neil. I just think putting a poll up the very minute we win the league is pathetic.  But, he should go at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, David McCaig said:

Now that promotion has been confirmed, it is exactly the time when fans should he indicating whether or not they feel he is the right man to take us on the next stage of the journey.

Absolutely. 

Just now, alanjambo said:

No. I would prefer Alex Neil. I just think putting a poll up the very minute we win the league is pathetic.  But, he should go at the end of the season.

That’s the point though mate. Even though we’ve won the league it’s glaringly obvious he’s not the best man for the job. It’s not ruining his moment of glory. There is no glory in this league win. 

I’ve always liked Robbie, he’s a decent sort. But his limited abilities as a manager and coach are glaring. We need a new approach and new manager to take us forward. But who knows what will happen with Budge at the helm. Her track record is not good. 

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

That’s the point though mate. Even though we’ve won the league it’s glaringly obvious he’s not the best man for the job. It’s not ruining his moment of glory. There is no glory in this league win. 

There's absolutely no glory in it. But that still doesn't mean a poll should instantly go up. I just find it a bit classless. Leave it for tomorrow.

Ach, never mind. It's Saturday night. Ill just stay away from my phone and have a beer.