10 April 2021: Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?

David McCaig

10 April 2021: Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. Should Robbie Neilson be the Hearts Manager in the Premiership next season?

3 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

While I think he should be replaced, I don't for a second believe that. He'd almost certainly get us a top 6 position imo,it would just be awful to watch.

No chance he’d get us top 6 imo. Agree the first defeat he’d instruct the players to do more and more defending and deeper. We’d end up in the same sort of rut we were in under Levein with the same end result. 

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• Pasquale for King

• kingantti1874

• Cruyff

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

Why is Rob considered an insult, what have I missed?

A poster claimed to know him and kept referring to him as Rob, then added, sometimes he calls him Robbie and sometimes  ‘even Bob’.

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

No chance he’d get us top 6 imo. Agree the first defeat he’d instruct the players to do more and more defending and deeper. We’d end up in the same sort of rut we were in under Levein with the same end result. 

With this team, no.  We'll sign better players in the summer though, and his record in the Scottish league is clearly good in terms of overall results.

Just now, Diego10 said:

With this team, no.  We'll sign better players in the summer though, and his record in the Scottish league is clearly good in terms of overall results.

Better players or not, the first bad defeat and his defensive head will be on. The players will just try to avoid getting the blame and play safe, boring, ineffective, slow football. That’s how he is. 

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

😂 quality of opposition not a factor then.

all of them better managersthan Robbie Neilson 

to suggest otherwise is lunacy

Is that the best you could come back with? 

:lol:

Maybe they are but they are probably better managers than Alex Neil :vrface:

12 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Have you ever admitted to yourself that is was in fact Leveins fault or does it hurt that much, your hero destroyed our club?. 

Do you realise how stupid you look your blaming a guy when he only had 4 months, he didn't make us worse in fact if you look at the form table we were going up, upward trajectory 😉as you and Sniff Neilson Nuts would say. 

Despite getting half a team back from injury, your full of so many contradictions it's incredible, you said that having Haring back made a difference for Robbie? So Maybe In that wee head of yours? Brain/ would it not of made a difference to Stendel to be able to pick Haring, whoops i forgot your hero risked playing him to save his job and to make himself look good for the cup final, because make no mistake about it when he went of everything fell apart, doesn't it make you wonder why so many players were injured during Leveins spell.

Neglect the same way Robbie neglects youth, and other players Roberts being an example, don't come away with he's got Henderson playing that's bollocks, because Stendel gave both Moore and Henderson a chance when both weren't rated under Robbie and Levein. 

Look at his treatment with Irving young man, was devastated about scoring the own goal, instead of protecting him and putting an arm round him, he gives him the stare and walks straight past him. 

As if he never done anything wrong in his career.

Get this loser out of our club. 

Stendel HAS to take his share the blame.....how many times does that need to be pointed out to you ?

As for your form table......garbage. 

CL’s last 8 League matches we took 7 points compared to Stendels 6 points in the same amount of matches.......CL picked up 8 points from 11 matches in total whilst Stendel picked up 11 from 15.

Their points per game average was almost identical.....but Stendel lost more goals in his last 11 matches compared to CL.

CL was unbeaten in 3 matches against the 3 teams directly above us whereas Stendel lost 2 of his 4.

That is why we were bottom Bongo.

Edited by DH1986

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

So was Leveins before he came back. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Stendel HAS to take his share the blame.....how many times does that need to be pointed out to you ?

As for your form table......garbage. 

CL’s last 8 League matches we took 7 points compared to Stendels 6 points in the same amount of matches.......CL picked up 8 points from 11 matches in total whilst Stendel picked up 11 from 15.

Their points per game average was almost identical.....but Stendel lost more goals in his last 11 matches compared

CL was unbeaten against in 3 matches against the 3 teams directly above us whereas Stendel lost 2 of his 4.

That is why we were bottom Bongo.

We were 8th in the form table when the League stopped, that’s a fact. 
Stendel had three months with someone else’s aging unfit team. 
Levein is the biggest reason we are where we are, Budge is the next. The lapdogs on the board and the FoH after that. Stendel is way down the list of the reasons, although he played his part clearly. 

1 minute ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

400 out of the 432 voting are Hibs scum.

32 genuine hearts fans out of 432. That’s an undercover operation and a half that 

kingantti1874
49 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Is that the best you could come back with? 

:lol:

Maybe they are but they are probably better managers than Alex Neil :vrface:

It’s hard to come back to complete ****ing nonsense.

You are comparing win record of a guy with the smallest budget in the English premier league and the 4th smallest budget in the English championship to a guy operating in the Scottish championship with 20 times the budget of some of the teams he’s managed to lose to. 😂

it’s a ****ing nonsense comparison , you may as well have added pep or Jose’s win record. 

Alex Neil > Robbie Neilson. The end 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

It’s hard to come back to complete ****ing nonsense.

You are comparing win record of a guy with the smallest budget in the English premier league and the 4th smallest budget in the English championship to a guy operating in the Scottish championship with 20 times the budget of some of the teams he’s managed to lose to. 😂

it’s a ****ing nonsense comparison , you may as well have added pep or Jose’s win record. 

Alex Neil > Robbie Neilson. The end 

Nonsense? 

I've backed it up with facts. 

You're basing your hard on for Alex Neil based on absolutely nothing. 

The guys done literally **** all as a Manager. 

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nonsense? 

I've backed it up with facts. 

You're basing your hard on for Alex Neil based on absolutely nothing. 

The guys done literally **** all as a Manager. 

facts 😂 quite probably the most pointless comparison I’ve ever ever seen. 

He did enough to secure a job with a good team, then managed that team to promotion from a great league. Then did well with a group of players well beyond the standard we enjoy.  All the while playing good foootball.

robbie neilson has done **** all - we won the league in spite of him and his moronic simpleton slugball tactics.  Sadly, we weren’t as lucky in the cups. Neilson who has now led us to three of the worst results in the history of the club, and one of them the worst result in the history of Scottish football

35 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We were 8th in the form table when the League stopped, that’s a fact. 
Stendel had three months with someone else’s aging unfit team. 
Levein is the biggest reason we are where we are, Budge is the next. The lapdogs on the board and the FoH after that. Stendel is way down the list of the reasons, although he played his part clearly. 

in the last 5 matches prior to the season ending.....

Hearts 4 points

Ross County 4 points

St Mirren 7 points

Hamilton 7 points

No other teams else mattered.

CL takes a huge chunk of the blame.....but Stendel had more than enough league games to turn it around and didn’t. Continuing with JP in goals because he was better with the ball at his feet says it all for me.

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

facts 😂 quite probably the most pointless comparison I’ve ever ever seen. 

He did enough to secure a job with a good team, then managed that team to promotion from a great league. Then did well with a group of players well beyond the standard we enjoy.  All the while playing good foootball.

robbie neilson has done **** all - we won the league in spite of him and his moronic simpleton slugball tactics.  Sadly, we weren’t as lucky in the cups. Neilson who has now led us to three of the worst results in the history of the club, and one of them the worst result in the history of Scottish football

Fact is, Neilson has a higher win ratio, more points per game, a better goals ratio both for and against. He's also won three league titles. Regardless of level you can only beat who you are up against. 

Yet you want to replace that guy with Alex Neil who has lost as many games as Preston Manager as he won. A manager who Preston fans say, 

_20210411_120416.thumb.JPG.3406870253b7ae226bf4ffdde58bfee4.JPG

Screenshot_20210411-120305.thumb.png.e684c088ef70b44c35217f91ba1ea1ad.png

Sound familiar? 

:gok:

Bad Religion
11 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

78% want him out. 

Just loving the Feel Good Factor of promotion. 😂😂😂

What times the parade?

Pasquale for King
Just now, DH1986 said:

in the last 5 matches prior to the season ending.....

Hearts 4 points

Ross County 4 points

St Mirren 7 points

Hamilton 7 points

No other teams else mattered.

CL takes a huge chunk of the blame.....but Stendel had more than enough league games to turn it around and didn’t. Continuing with JP in goals because he was better with the ball at his feet says it all for me.

It does because you’re not just playing those teams. 
He was on the right road, he had tightened the defence. 
Who knows if we wouldve stayed up. 
Levein signed JP, probably his worst of the list of disasters that cost us millions. He and Macphee played JP too, nobody criticised them at the time or after it seems?
He had to wheel and deal in January due to the wastefulness of Levein and the paucity of the unfit squad, whilst trying to get them fit. He seemed happy with JP and thought he was better with the ball than the other two clowns, his biggest mistake. 

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Fact is, Neilson has a higher win ratio, more points per game, a better goals ratio both for and against. He's also won three league titles. Regardless of level you can only beat who you are up against. 

Yet you want to replace that guy with Alex Neil who has lost as many games as Preston Manager as he won. A manager who Preston fans say, 

_20210411_120416.thumb.JPG.3406870253b7ae226bf4ffdde58bfee4.JPG

Screenshot_20210411-120305.thumb.png.e684c088ef70b44c35217f91ba1ea1ad.png

Sound familiar? 

:gok:

Robbie Neilson also had a higher win % age in the Championship than Bielsa has in the EPL 😂😂😂 must be a better manager !! 😆

ps 80% of this board say the same about Robbie Neilson. 😆 your happy to ignore those views ? Yet Happy to troll other boards. Look hard enough and you will find people criticising JJ on here.

When the inevitable happens and Neilson is fired.  He will be managing at a club more at his level . Brechin, Brora or Peterhead 

Edited by kingantti1874

Bad Religion
51 minutes ago, Scottie Wanshot. said:

100 out of the 124  voting for him to stay are Hibs scum.

That’s more accurate. 

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Robbie Neilson also had a higher win % age in the Championship than Bielsa has in the EPL 😂😂😂 must be a better manager !! 😆

ps 80% of this board say the same about Robbie Neilson. 😆 your happy to ignore those views ? Yet Happy to troll other boards. Look hard enough and you will find people criticising JJ on here.

When the inevitable happens and Neilson is fired.  He will be managing at a club more at his level . Brechin, Brora or Peterhead 

Exactly! I'm not going to argue with PNE fans who watch their team everyweek and saying that Neil is a turgid manager, who plays shit, boring football. 

Point is, you want Neilson replaced with a manager that hasn't proven he is any better. 

What would be the point in that?

Funny how Aberdeen nor Celtic even considered Neil. 

The guys reputation is a myth and he's obviously fooled some people on here who are calling for him to replace Neilson. 

Jeffros Furios
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Exactly! I'm not going to argue with PNE fans who watch their team everyweek and saying that Neil is a turgid manager, who plays shit, boring football. 

Point is, you want Neilson replaced with a manager that hasn't proven he is any better. 

The guys reputation is a myth and he's obviously fooled some people on here who are calling for him to replace Neilson. 

The championship is PNE level . . Not sure why thier supporters are moaning as they've  never been in the top flight for decades and in no danger of being relegated .

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Took Hamilton to third, took Norwich to EPL 👍🏻 Played great stuff whilst doing it. Is clever and articulate and has a good record bringing through young players. 

he’s as proven as a club at our level will ever feb able to attract. 

Whereas - we all know Neilson is crap. 

the fact that he was even linked with the Celtic job on more than one occasion says it all

3 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

The championship is PNE level . . Not sure why thier supporters are moaning as they've  never been in the top flight for decades and in no danger of being relegated .

Maybe for the same reasons we're moaning about Neilson. Shite performances. 

Jeffros Furios
3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Maybe for the same reasons we're moaning about Neilson. Shite performances. 

😀 aye probably,  I suppose with Burnley being in the  Premiership for a few seasons and Blackburn winning the league they're probably on the receiving end of some abuse ,  the English Hibs .

Took Hamilton to third, took Norwich to EPL 👍🏻 Played great stuff whilst doing it. Is clever and articulate and has a good record bringing through young players. 

he’s as proven as a club at our level will ever feb able to attract. 

Whereas - we all know Neilson is crap. 

the fact that he was even linked with the Celtic job on more than one occasion says it all

Neilson did that first time around at Hearts. So what. 

As pointed out many Scottish managers have been promoted with the likes of Norwich, they have a massive budget.

He was punted the year after because he was outside the play offs. 

Punted at Preston because they could score or win a game and the football was utter garbage. 

His cup record is pish. 

Pumped out the FA Cup by Wycombe Wanderers in 2020/21.

Pumped out the FA Cup at home to lower league Doncaster Rovers in 2018/19.

Pumped out the League Cup by Accrington Stanley in 2017/18.

He's really not proven anywhere.

Billy Davies had Preston in the play offs every year yet no one on here would touch him with a totem poll. 

If we're replacing Neilson it should be with someone who is better. Not a manager who's been launched out of two of his three jobs because he wasn't doing the business. 

I voted no,I just do not think he is the man to take us forward  FWIW I said this at the time of his appointment and I see nothing to change my mind.

merseyjambo
15 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Owen Coyle got Burnley promoted.

Billy Davies got Derby promoted. 

Paul Lambert got Norwich promoted back to back. 

English fitbaw isn't all that. 

Neil got relegated at Norwich, punted after being outside the playoffs the following season. Managed to finish near the play offs once at Preston then punted after a few years. Simon Grayson did a better job. :lol:

Here's their managerial records side by side. 

Alex Neil

_20210410_213021.thumb.JPG.dbb022a5f0c6c1ce825809da69d235fd.JPG

Robbie Neilson

_20210410_212940.thumb.JPG.3e4776b1634ad664df295ffbbc1176ea.JPG

Replacing Neilson with Neil really much better? 

Nae proof to suggest that. 

Remind me which mighty football team it was that Neilson got punted from in England and seeing you’re so fond of stats, where are those ones

Oh and FYI, I don’t want Neil either

I’d rather we went for someone like Michael Flynn from Newport

Edited by merseyjambo

KyleLafferty

Going by what a certain hearts player thinks of Alex Neil I don’t think he will be at hearts if this player signs on.

1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

Going by what a certain hearts player thinks of Alex Neil I don’t think he will be at hearts if this player signs on.

Which hearts player?

2 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Remind me which mighty football team it was that Neilson got punted from in England and seeing you’re so fond of stats, where are those ones

And your point is caller? 

Italian Lambretta
20 hours ago, David McCaig said:

Robbie fighting back in the polls!!!

He will do with his no1 cheerleader deliberately skewing the Poll

merseyjambo
Just now, Cruyff said:And your point is caller? 

You’re the one spouting Alex Neil’s stats in England and saying they’re pish.

In the interests of fairness, surely you should also look at Neilsons stats at the mighty footballing institution that is MK Dons

You talk about people being selective yet you’re doing the same

Just now, merseyjambo said:

You’re the one spouting Alex Neil’s stats in England and saying they’re pish.

In the interests of fairness, surely you should also look at Neilsons stats at the mighty footballing institution that is MK Dons

You talk about people being selective yet you’re doing the same

Neilsons stats are there. I've not hid them. 👍

merseyjambo
4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Neilsons stats are there. I've not hid them. 👍

Actually you have, you’ve chosen to cut off the team names and highlighted Pep Neilsons latest foray in the Championship. I’d suggest you look at those 66 games with MK Dons and compare them to a man who took a side from the Championship into the premiership as opposed to a manager who struggled in the third their of English football.

And those little clippings from PNE fans. I’d also suggest you look at DUFC and MK Dons forums and gauge what they thought of Neilson. I’m fairly sure you’ll find similar posts there.

Don’t slant things to fit your agenda especially when there are still over 75% of Hearts fans wanting a trophy wining manager punted. That tells you everything 

Berra than you
3 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Actually you have, you’ve chosen to cut off the team names and highlighted Pep Neilsons latest foray in the Championship. I’d suggest you look at those 66 games with MK Dons and compare them to a man who took a side from the Championship into the premiership as opposed to a manager who struggled in the third their of English football.

And those little clippings from PNE fans. I’d also suggest you look at DUFC and MK Dons forums and gauge what they thought of Neilson. I’m fairly sure you’ll find similar posts there.

Don’t slant things to fit your agenda especially when there are still over 75% of Hearts fans wanting a trophy wining manager punted. That tells you everything 

I think he still wants neilson gone... Just has question marks over Alex Neil. I actually think you have made his point that he feels Neil is no different to Neilson.

David McCaig
26 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

He will do with his no1 cheerleader deliberately skewing the Poll

??

merseyjambo
5 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

I think he still wants neilson gone... Just has question marks over Alex Neil. I actually think you have made his point that he feels Neil is no different to Neilson.

I just want someone who can get me excited about watching Hearts again. Neil or McInnes. No thanks.

There are a lot of good young coaches out there cutting their teeth in lower leagues in England. Teams who have struggled in recent years like Blackpool, Cambridge and Cheltenham to name a couple have turned it around massively with coaches who are on the up. Same with Flynn at Newport. Good coach, playing football. These are the type of guys we should be looking at before bigger clubs come in and poach them. The SPL would be a good stepping stone for them. We’ve missed out guys like the Cowleys, Grant McCann, Jimmy F-H because we’ve not looked. The only time we did was with DS but bringing a manager in mid season who wants to play gegenpressen football with an unfit squad was not going to work.

Making the appointment when we hold the cards with a clean slate and a transfer budget is when we should do it, not when we’re towards bottom end of table.

siegementality
3 hours ago, Diego10 said:

While I think he should be replaced, I don't for a second believe that. He'd almost certainly get us a top 6 position imo,it would just be awful to watch.

So pray tell what gives you the confidence that we’d be top six? Neilson’s great signings? His tinker man tactics? His pedestrian style of play? We’ve made hard work of a lot of teams this year and were put out the cups by Alloa and Brora Rangers and you think he’ll have us top six!! You are having a laugh 😂  The current top six in the Premiership are all better than far better than us. Neilson’s a Championship manager, he likes it there.

10 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

I think you've misunderstood the whole premise of the point being made here. 

It's not a defence of Neilson.

The point is that if we're wanting Neilson replaced then it has to be with someone who will do a better job and someone with a proven track record.

It has clearly been shown that Alex Neil is neither of the above. 

Berra than you
3 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

I just want someone who can get me excited about watching Hearts again. Neil or McInnes. No thanks.

There are a lot of good young coaches out there cutting their teeth in lower leagues in England. Teams who have struggled in recent years like Blackpool, Cambridge and Cheltenham to name a couple have turned it around massively with coaches who are on the up. Same with Flynn at Newport. Good coach, playing football. These are the type of guys we should be looking at before bigger clubs come in and poach them. The SPL would be a good stepping stone for them. We’ve missed out guys like the Cowleys, Grant McCann, Jimmy F-H because we’ve not looked. The only time we did was with DS but bringing a manager in mid season who wants to play gegenpressen football with an unfit squad was not going to work.

Making the appointment when we hold the cards with a clean slate and a transfer budget is when we should do it, not when we’re towards bottom end of table.

This for me is key. In all honesty I don't know who I want to kick us on, thankfully it's not my job. We have time now to recruit the right man, and let the correct people make the decision. Joe savage has to be involved. Unfortunately, I have no faith in the board to make the decision on Neilson, and can see the decision being made if we struggle next season.

Hes a total loser of a manager.  Never seen a hearts team embarrassed so much in cup games than under neilson.  

Yes he has a good record in the championship with a budget that dwarfs every single other club.  We would’ve romped this league with no manager so he gets zero credit for winning it. 

Just wish another mug club like MK Dons would come and take him off our hands again, sadly I think we are stuck with him (and budge) :sad:

portobellojambo1

Personally I don't know if Alex Neil would be the best choice as the next manager, in all honesty I don't really know who I'd like as the next manager, I don't even know which managers will be available. I do hope that this time round some serious thought is given to the appointment. But I've seen nothing this season to suggest the correct person is in position at this stage, Neilson himself, and the club, made it clear he was put in place to get us back into the top division, that has been achieved, now we have to look for someone to take us forward.

24 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think you've misunderstood the whole premise of the point being made here. 

It's not a defence of Neilson.

The point is that if we're wanting Neilson replaced then it has to be with someone who will do a better job and someone with a proven track record.

It has clearly been shown that Alex Neil is neither of the above. 

I think we can agree that a very large portion of the support want Neilson gone!

However, no matter how eloquent an argument on Jbk for him to be removed, or in his defence. The final decision rests with Ann Budge. The question is - What does she think Neilson will bring to the party long term? Does she see the club building a dynasty around him?
If she cannot see that then he has to go!

I have no idea who the next manager should be. However, I would prefer someone with no previous connection to the club either as a ex player, or ex coach.
Neil seems popular amongst the support, but I suppose that in part is due to his working relationship with Savage.

Given a choice I would prefer a foreign manager, Why?....Better coaching techniques generally. Developing young players. Promoting better life styles and fitness coupled with diet.
All that said and done. Joe Savage has to be the person ultimately responsible for the hiring process. Let's get it right next time, and let's get it done quickly.

I'm desperately wanting some positive news ahead of the start of the new Premiership season 

Neilson Out

Edited by Hashimoto

It was rumoured on here, different thread I think, that there was a meeting between RN, JS and senior players early last week.

If true, and resulted in that performance, what do we take from it? Players told RN to stop fecking about and play on front foot?

I suppose what I'm trying to get at is does this mean everyone now pulling in same direction? If so where does this leave RNs authority? Enhanced, as open to criticism, or weakened? If the former then I don't expect him to leave/relieved of duties. Only plus from that I can see is a renewed sense of team spirit/unity.