Celtic shame

jamboozy

Forever Hearts
21 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Don't agree with separate schooling but that is just not true

You still need to be vetted by a Catholic priest in order to teach in a Catholic school.  

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• McGlynn The Money

• Governor Tarkin

• Forever Hearts

• The Real Maroonblood

41 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

You still need to be vetted by a Catholic priest in order to teach in a Catholic school.  

Not what you said .

McGlynn The Money
5 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Not what you said .

Exactly.

Also, nobody can explain why there was a need to bring Catholic schools into this thread. We all know why but they haven't got the guts to come out and say it.

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Not what you said .

How many non-Catholics do you think a Catholic priest would put forward to work in a Catholic school? 

McGlynn The Money
3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

How many non-Catholics do you think a Catholic priest would put forward to work in a Catholic school? 

What do Catholic schools have to do with the fireworks for Phil?

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

"The Royal Family is indeed rooted in sectarianism. A Catholic cannot ascend to the throne and until recently a member of that family couldn't even marry a Catholic."

What did this have to do with it? 

McGlynn The Money
5 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

"The Royal Family is indeed rooted in sectarianism. A Catholic cannot ascend to the throne and until recently a member of that family couldn't even marry a Catholic."

What did this have to do with it? 

Can you not read the thread yourself? There was a suggestion that there was a sectarian element to the fireworks for Phil. I was just agreeing that the Royal Family is sectarian. Phil was a member of that family was he not?

Can you now say what Catholic schools have to do with Phil's fireworks? Why the reluctance to answer?

Forever Hearts
13 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Can you not read the thread yourself? There was a suggestion that there was a sectarian element to the fireworks for Phil. I was just agreeing that the Royal Family is sectarian. Phil was a member of that family was he not?

Can you now say what Catholic schools have to do with Phil's fireworks? Why the reluctance to answer?

Just agreeing that the Royal Family was sectarian? 😂

McGlynn The Money
6 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Just agreeing that the Royal Family was sectarian? 😂

You're still not saying what Catholic schools have to do with the fireworks for Phil. Interesting...

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, McGlynn The Money said:

You're still not saying what Catholic schools have to do with the fireworks for Phil. Interesting...

The same as your rant about the Royal Family being sectarian. Not a lot. Interesting...

john thomas
56 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

No idea the total number but I , personally , know of two .

Cba checking but did you not say non catholics weren't allowed to work in catholic schools ?

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

lol😄

I sang the rest to the Mrs.

She tried hard not to smile. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, McGlynn The Money said:

The same as Hearts fans booing the pope? 

McGlynn The Money
8 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

The same as your rant about the Royal Family being sectarian. Not a lot. Interesting...

Wasn't a rant my friend. The thread is about the fireworks for Phil. Someone else suggested there was a sectarian element to it, I replied to that point about sectarianism in the Royal Family. Phil was a member of that family. All on topic from what I can see.

At least you're finally admitting that Catholic schools have nothing to do with it. Well done.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, McGlynn The Money said:

Wasn't a rant my friend. The thread is about the fireworks for Phil. Someone else suggested there was a sectarian element to it, I replied to that point about sectarianism in the Royal Family. Phil was a member of that family. All on topic from what I can see.

At least you're finally admitting that Catholic schools have nothing to do with it. Well done.

To be fair, you do seem keen to insinuate that he's a bigot. No need to **** about really. Just say it. 

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

To be fair, you do seem keen to insinuate that he's a bigot. No need to **** about really. Just say it. 

I'd rather be..........

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I'd rather be..........

....in Kabul than Zagreb. 

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Aye, that was foremost in the minds of the young Celtic fans setting off fireworks "a Catholic can't become King or Queen, let's ruin a 99 year old man's minute silence with some fireworks" 😂

Forever Hearts
19 minutes ago, john thomas said:

No idea the total number but I , personally , know of two .

Cba checking but did you not say non catholics weren't allowed to work in catholic schools ?

Yes,  I should've said head teachers and deputy heads. The fact there is still any kind of religious discrimination in our state schools is appalling.  

McGlynn The Money
15 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The same as Hearts fans booing the pope? 

Possibly, but two similar incidents so you can understand comparisons being drawn. Two divisive figures in the eyes of some, and they didn't want to be forced into a minute's silence. I don't think either should have had a minute's silence but also think people should be able to remain quiet for one minute. However, if people want to "protest" though then that is their right.

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It is you who say it. Personally I don't see how anyone could read his posts and think he's a bigot...

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Yes,  I should've said head teachers and deputy heads. The fact there is still any kind of religious discrimination in our state schools is appalling.  

If the SNP promised to abolish faith based schools I'd probably vote for them. 

Ron Burgundy
4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

If the SNP promised to abolish faith based schools I'd probably vote for them. 

Well they did promise to abolish the unfair council tax so I wouldn't hold your breath. Their "to do" list is growing.

Governor Tarkin

Possibly, but two similar incidents so you can understand comparisons being drawn. Two divisive figures in the eyes of some, and they didn't want to be forced into a minute's silence. I don't think either should have had a minute's silence but also think people should be able to remain quiet for one minute. However, if people want to "protest" though then that is their right.

I broadly agree with all of this, with the caveat that Hearts were absolutely stitched up with the minutes silence for the late JP. 

5 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

It is you who say it. Personally I don't see how anyone could read his posts and think he's a bigot... 

It's generally good form to call a spade a spade, mate. 👍

Forever Hearts
11 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Can you point to any post of mine that is remotely bigoted? 

I'll leave it with you. 👍

McGlynn The Money
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I broadly agree with all of this, with the caveat that Hearts were absolutely stitched up with the minutes silence for the late JP. 

It's generally good form to call a spade a spade, mate. 👍

Not sure we were stitched up. For me it was asking for trouble and a bad idea to have the minute's silence, but nobody forced folk to disrupt it. Saying we were stitched up comes across as Celtic paranoia.

Also would generally be good form to explain his posts, such as what Catholic schools have to do with this thread. If people did think he was a bigot he could easily clear up any confusion.

Forever Hearts
16 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Not sure we were stitched up. For me it was asking for trouble and a bad idea to have the minute's silence, but nobody forced folk to disrupt it. Saying we were stitched up comes across as Celtic paranoia.

Also would generally be good form to explain his posts, such as what Catholic schools have to do with this thread. If people did think he was a bigot he could easily clear up any confusion.

There's thousands of posts all over this forum that don't necessarily have anything to do with the thread. Do you chase all of them up? 

Now, can you point out to me any posts of mine that were remotely bigoted? 

McGlynn The Money

There's thousands of posts all over this forum that don't necessarily have anything to do with the thread. Do you chase all of them up? 

Now, can you point out to me any posts of mine that were remotely bigoted? 

Not really, they usually have some connection to the topic of the thread. All I'm asking you is to explain what Catholic schools have to do with this subject. Surely that shouldn't be difficult.

What's also concerning is that it Catholic schools is a subject that you clearly care about but another poster proved that you were talking absolute mince about them.

Where have I called you a bigot? If anything I think I was saying you were the opposite. I tend to find people who have an unhealthy obsession with Catholic schools to be some of the most open minded and tolerant members of society. Especially the ones who talk about them without even knowing the basic facts.

Forever Hearts
3 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Not really, they usually have some connection to the topic of the thread. All I'm asking you is to explain what Catholic schools have to do with this subject. Surely that shouldn't be difficult.

What's also concerning is that it Catholic schools is a subject that you clearly care about but another poster proved that you were talking absolute mince about them.

Where have I called you a bigot? If anything I think I was saying you were the opposite. I tend to find people who have an unhealthy obsession with Catholic schools to be some of the most open minded and tolerant members of society. Especially the ones who talk about them without even knowing the basic facts.

I corrected myself and said all Catholic school applicants must be vetted by a Catholic priest and that no non-Catholic can become HT or DHT in a Catholic school. 

As for all threads sticking to the subject, it's now you that's talking mince. They go off-track all the time and fine well you know it. 

Me being a bigot? You've insinuated it so much that another poster even picked up on it so I'll ask you again, where have I posted anything remotely bigoted? Don't insinuate something and then backtrack, it makes you look weak and cowardly.  

McGlynn The Money
2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

I corrected myself and said all Catholic school applicants must be vetted by a Catholic priest and that no non-Catholic can become HT or DHT in a Catholic school. 

As for all threads sticking to the subject, it's now you that's talking mince. They go off-track all the time and fine well you know it. 

Me being a bigot? You've insinuated it so much that another poster even picked up on it so I'll ask you again, where have I posted anything remotely bigoted? Don't insinuate something and then backtrack, it makes you look weak and cowardly.  

Corrected yourself once it was pointed out that you were talking complete mince. Maybe if you educated yourself on Catholic schools your feelings for them might change a bit. I always find that it helps to know something about a subject before forming an opinion on it.

What's weak and cowardly is not explaining what Catholic schools have to do with Phil's fireworks.

As I keep saying, I'm not calling you a bigot. If anything, the more you post the more enlightened and open minded you seem.

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Corrected yourself once it was pointed out that you were talking complete mince. Maybe if you educated yourself on Catholic schools your feelings for them might change a bit. I always find that it helps to know something about a subject before forming an opinion on it.

What's weak and cowardly is not explaining what Catholic schools have to do with Phil's fireworks.

As I keep saying, I'm not calling you a bigot. If anything, the more you post the more enlightened and open minded you seem.

You're not calling me it now because you've been called out on it and have absolutely nothing to back it up. 

The rest of your post is just recycled garbage that we've been over before. 

McGlynn The Money

You're not calling me it now because you've been called out on it and have absolutely nothing to back it up. 

The rest of your post is just recycled garbage that we've been over before. 

So you're still not saying what Catholic schools have to do with the fireworks for Phil? 

If you are being called a bigot (it was another poster that suggested it, not me) you could easily clear up the confusion. As I keep saying, I'm sure you are not a bigot but unless you explain the link you've made between the Phil fireworks and Catholic schools, that lingering doubt will remain.

All the best and nice chatting.

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

So you're still not saying what Catholic schools have to do with the fireworks for Phil? 

If you are being called a bigot (it was another poster that suggested it, not me) you could easily clear up the confusion. As I keep saying, I'm sure you are not a bigot but unless you explain the link you've made between the Phil fireworks and Catholic schools, that lingering doubt will remain.

All the best and nice chatting.

That'll be a no then. Cheers.👍

McGlynn The Money
Just now, Forever Hearts said:

That'll be a no then. Cheers.👍

No need to repeat yourself my man. You've made it perfectly clear that you can't or won't explain what Catholic schools have to do with Phil's fireworks. I was hoping for your sake you'd clear this up but all the best anyway, take it easy.

Forever Hearts
11 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

No need to repeat yourself my man. You've made it perfectly clear that you can't or won't explain what Catholic schools have to do with Phil's fireworks. I was hoping for your sake you'd clear this up but all the best anyway, take it easy.

No evidence at all from you. Let's leave it there.👍

john thomas
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

The fact there is any kind of religion in our state schools is appalling . Don't think catholic schools come under the heading of 'stateschools' do they ?

Discrimination or influence in any school by any religion is a disgrace

Governor Tarkin

It was mkre than just asking for trouble, it was actively spoiling for it. If they really needed to have a wee ceremony for the Pope they could've had it at a more convenient time with less chance of it being disrupted. 

Whether Hearts fans should've conducted themselves with greater decorum is moot. 

You don't pish on an electric fence without expecting a tickly boaby. 

It looks like he was going for a spot of misplaced and unecessary whataboutery to me. There's a lot of that about. 

McGlynn The Money
7 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

No evidence at all from you. Let's leave it there.👍

As much evidence as you've provided about the relevance of Catholic schools to this thread.

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It was mkre than just asking for trouble, it was actively spoiling for it. If they really needed to have a wee ceremony for the Pope they could've had it at a more convenient time with less chance of it being disrupted. 

Whether Hearts fans should've conducted themselves with greater decorum is moot. 

You don't pish on an electric fence without expecting a tickly boaby. 

It looks like he was going for a spot of misplaced and unecessary whataboutery to me. There's a lot of that about. 

That just sounds like Celtic fan level paranoia to be honest. If it was a trap they could have had the good sense not to walk right into it. They could have had their wee "protest" against the Pope in their own time and not at a Hearts match where it brought the club no end of negative publicity right across the world.

Misplaced and irrelevant whataboutery I would say. There are Catholics who are Hearts fans, there are Hearts fans who went to Catholic schools and there are Hearts players who went to Catholic schools, Christophe Berra for example. I just fail to see the link between Catholic schools and the fireworks for Phil.

Forever Hearts
25 minutes ago, john thomas said:

The fact there is any kind of religion in our state schools is appalling . Don't think catholic schools come under the heading of 'stateschools' do they ?

Discrimination or influence in any school by any religion is a disgrace

If you don't pay a fee it's a state school. 

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

That just sounds like Celtic fan level paranoia to be honest. If it was a trap they could have had the good sense not to walk right into it. They could have had their wee "protest" against the Pope in their own time and not at a Hearts match where it brought the club no end of negative publicity right across the world.

It's not Celtic fan level paranoia in the slightest. As soon as the silence was announced pretty much everyone to a man knew what was likely to happen. It could've been avoided, and had the shoe been on another foot, surely would've been. 

And as for negative publicity right across the world, who gives a shiney shite. We're not The Greatest Fans in the World. That self-anointed accolade belongs to someone else. 

Governor Tarkin

Misplaced and irrelevant whataboutery I would say. There are Catholics who are Hearts fans, there are Hearts fans who went to Catholic schools and there are Hearts players who went to Catholic schools, Christophe Berra for example. I just fail to see the link between Catholic schools and the fireworks for Phil.

Another prime example of the same. 

Whilst I agree with you, who gives a ****. 

This is a Celtic bashing thread. 

McGlynn The Money
29 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's not Celtic fan level paranoia in the slightest. As soon as the silence was announced pretty much everyone to a man knew what was likely to happen. It could've been avoided, and had the shoe been on another foot, surely would've been. 

And as for negative publicity right across the world, who gives a shiney shite. We're not The Greatest Fans in the World. That self-anointed accolade belongs to someone else. 

It is Celtic fan level paranoia. It's also absolving them of responsibility for their own actions, another thing Celtic fans are world champions at. 

There's a difference between being the self proclaimed GFITW as Celtic fans like to be, and just not wanting a section of the Hearts support dragging the club's reputation through the mud unnecessarily.

For someone who wants to bash Celtic you seem to have the same chip on the shoulder mentality as their fans.

25 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Another prime example of the same. 

Whilst I agree with you, who gives a ****. 

This is a Celtic bashing thread. 

I thought the thread was about fireworks Phil and the tribute/protest during the minute's silence for him. A suggestion was made there was a sectarian element to it, I replied to that suggestion.

Nobody can explain what Catholic schools have to do with it.

Edited by McGlynn The Money

Governor Tarkin
27 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

It is Celtic fan level paranoia. It's also absolving them of responsibility for their own actions, another thing Celtic fans are world champions at. 

There's a difference between being the self proclaimed GFITW as Celtic fans like to be, and just not wanting a section of the Hearts support dragging the club's reputation through the mud unnecessarily.

For someone who wants to bash Celtic you seem to have the same chip on the shoulder mentality as their fans.

No chips on these shoulders, champ. I'm not absolving anybody of anything. If Hearts fants get their thrills booing the dead Pope, or Celtic fans need to justify their shallow existence by setting of fireworks to celebrate the death of a Royal, then they can bash on. The game's governing bodies - you know, the ones that are trying their hardest to eradicate sectarianism at football matches - shouldn't be tacitly enabling it. 

I also don't understand why folk get so precious about the 'club's reputation being dragged through the mud' either. What reputation is that? A middling club with little notable success, in a backwater league, in a country who's big two are renowned for their tribalism (read sectarian and political hatred).

Meh.

I don't think you don't have to worry. While you're strutting about the Costas later this year with your Hearts top on nobody is going to be pointing at your back and whispering to their friends "there's one of those supporters of that once illustrious club whose reputation was irreversibly tarnished when their fans disrespected a dead pontif. He must be a repugnant fellow." 

I thought the thread was about fireworks Phil and the tribute/protest during the minute's silence for him. A suggestion was made there was a sectarian element to it, I replied to that suggestion.

The thread title is 'Celtic shame'. Any proper Hearts man should read that as a cue for a pile on. 

Nobody can explain what Catholic schools have to do with it.

We already did explain it. It was unecessary and misplaced whatabouttery. Why don't you stop ****ing about and just say that you think the poster in question brought it up as in his bigoted mind he can't differentiate between Celtic fans and Catholics/Catholicism in general. 

Edited by Governor Tarkin

john thomas
20 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

No chips on these shoulders, champ. I'm not absolving anybody of anything. If Hearts fants get their thrills booing the dead Pope, or Celtic fans need to justify their shallow existence by setting of fireworks to celebrate the death of a Royal, then they can bash on. The game's governing bodies - you know, the ones that are trying their hardest to eradicate sectarianism at football matches - shouldn't be tacitly enabling it. 

I also don't understand why folk get so precious about the 'club's reputation being dragged through the mud' either. What reputation is that? A middling club with little notable success, in a backwater league, in a country who's big two are renowned for their tribalism (read sectarian and political hatred).

Meh.

I don't think you don't have to worry. While you're strutting about the Costas later this year with your Hearts top on nobody is going to be pointing at your back and whispering to their friends "there's one of those supporters of that once illustrious club whose reputation was irreversibly tarnished when their fans disrespected a dead pontif. He must be a repugnant fellow." 

Would love it if somebody did

McGlynn The Money
23 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Meh.

The thread title is 'Celtic shame'. Any proper Hearts man should read that as a cue for a pile on. 

We already did explain it. It was unecessary and misplaced whatabouttery. Why don't you stop ****ing about and just say that you think the poster in question brought it up as in his bigoted mind he can't differentiate between Celtic fans and Catholics/Catholicism in general. 

It does come across as paranoid mate, sorry. All this stuff about it being a set up and a trap etc, you honestly do sound like a Celtic fan. Bet you'll be cheering them on on Sunday. ;)

I wouldn't be seen dead on the costas, so wash your mouth out. The club's reputation does matter though. In terms or attracting more fans, players and sponsorship etc. If that sort of stuff doesn't matter to you then fair enough.

I think you're trying too hard to show that you're anti-Celtic. Talking to you is like talking to one of the most blinkered followers of the green and grey.

You could be on to something re the guy posting about Catholic schools. I'm not a mind reader though so thought it best to ask him why he felt it was so relevant but he hasn't done that.

Governor Tarkin

It does come across as paranoid mate, sorry. All this stuff about it being a set up and a trap etc, you honestly do sound like a Celtic fan. Bet you'll be cheering them on on Sunday. ;)

Hehe, aye, I suppose it does, but take it as more of an observation than an accusation, and it doesn't seem quite so paranoid. My point is that it needn't have happened, and those that know better could've put a stop to it before it was even a thing. I reserve the right to use hylerbole on a football forum, but I said it was a stitch up, not a trap. It's a subtle difference but an important one. 👍

I had to google who Celtic are palying on Sunday. Now that Lennon's away I don't care who wins. 🤷‍♂️

10 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

I wouldn't be seen dead on the costas, so wash your mouth out. The club's reputation does matter though. In terms or attracting more fans, players and sponsorship etc. If that sort of stuff doesn't matter to you then fair enough.

I had you pegged as the more discerning gent tbh. The rest of your point is fair enough too, but I don't think we've suffered from it. It's a pretty insignificant incident in the grand scheme of things - just like the fireworks last weekend. 

14 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

I think you're trying too hard to show that you're anti-Celtic. Talking to you is like talking to one of the most blinkered followers of the green and grey.

There's no such thing as too anti-Celtic. :seething:

(Seriously though, it's the internet.) 

You could be on to something re the guy posting about Catholic schools. I'm not a mind reader though so thought it best to ask him why he felt it was so relevant but he hasn't done that.

🤷‍♂️  I've no idea either tbh. 👍