"Delighted to ram it down their throats."

tartofmidlothian

Bad Religion
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Money spent on a new stand, other infrastructure and buying the club has zero relevance to how we do in one cup game. Obviously we've underperformed the last 5 years but finally we have a manager who has at least done what he was hired to do, which was get us promoted and now we want rid of him. Mad. Give hi the pre-season FFS. He did very well with us in the Premiership last time. 

He cannot be allowed to waste another penny. 

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thomaso

• graygo

• kingantti1874

• A_A wehatethehibs

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Bad Religion said:

He cannot be allowed to waste another penny. 

Who would you hire to waste our money next?

Bad Religion
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I’d like Savage to be heavily involved in our next managerial appointment. Alex Neil if realistic and obtainable. 

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

I’d like Savage to be heavily involved in our next managerial appointment. Alex Neil if realistic and obtainable. 

Neil will be as good to boo as anyone.

Bad Religion
Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Neil will be as good to boo as anyone.

Are you a Neilson supporter or a Hearts supporter?

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Bad Religion said:

Are you a Neilson supporter or a Hearts supporter?

I'd prefer to judge Neilson over the whole season. His main targets were beat Hibs in the semi and win the league asap and he's done both. HIs secondary targets were LC and SC cup runs and he failed dismally. Needs to improve there.

Mostly thought I'm just not a fan of chopping and changing manager every 6 months, unless they do what Stendel did in terms of his suicidal mistake in keeping that goalie in the team and cutting us adrift at the bottom of the table. Even then if the pandemic hadn't hit and he'd kept us up (which I thought he would), I'd have backed him for the next season. Neilson's getting it in the neck because he's Neilson. Another manager - Alex Neil for example or Stendel - who won the league easily and beat Hibs would probably have been given more benefit of the doubt when it comes to the cup result.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'd prefer to judge Neilson over the whole season. His main targets were beat Hibs in the semi and win the league asap and he's done both. HIs secondary targets were LC and SC cup runs and he failed dismally. Needs to improve there.

Mostly thought I'm just not a fan of chopping and changing manager every 6 months, unless they do what Stendel did in terms of his suicidal mistake in keeping that goalie in the team and cutting us adrift at the bottom of the table. Even then if the pandemic hadn't hit and he'd kept us up (which I thought he would), I'd have backed him for the next season. Neilson's getting it in the neck because he's Neilson. Another manager - Alex Neil for example or Stendel - who won the league easily and beat Hibs would probably have been given more benefit of the doubt when it comes to the cup result.

Stendel didn’t have to cope with the might of Brora Rangers and Queen of the South tbf. Not an ideal comparison. 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Stendel didn’t have to cope with the might of Brora Rangers and Queen of the South tbf. Not an ideal comparison. 

That game against St Mirren under Stendel was a far worse result than Brora. Everyone knew the league was going to be called. Potentially the whole future of the club depended on it. He set us up all wrong and yet some people continue to defend Stendel over Neilson. Contrast that to our high pressure game against Dundee at the start of this season. We HAD to win to shut everyone up and put down a marker and we did it in stye. We basically won the league that day. We did indeed "ram it down their throats"

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

That game against St Mirren under Stendel was a far worse result than Brora. Everyone knew the league was going to be called. Potentially the whole future of the club depended on it. He set us up all wrong and yet some people continue to defend Stendel over Neilson. Contrast that to our high pressure game against Dundee at the start of this season. We HAD to win to shut everyone up and put down a marker and we did it in stye. We basically won the league that day.

Oooaft!!

That game against St Mirren under Stendel was a far worse result than Brora. Everyone knew the league was going to be called. Potentially the whole future of the club depended on it. He set us up all wrong and yet some people continue to defend Stendel over Neilson. Contrast that to our high pressure game against Dundee at the start of this season. We HAD to win to shut everyone up and put down a marker and we did it in stye. We basically won the league that day. We did indeed "ram it down their throats"

So compare two games of your choosing to prove your point. Seems fair. I’ll stick with Brora but pick beating Rangers in the league. What’s next?

Guest ToqueJambo
15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

So compare two games of your choosing to prove your point. Seems fair. I’ll stick with Brora but pick beating Rangers in the league. What’s next?

That's not what I'm doing. I'm saying the defeat to St Mirren was far more damaging than the Brora defeat in the grand scheme of things. It was a high pressure game against St Mirren. If you want to compare, I'd compare that to our first game against Dundee this season which was also pitched as a must-win game.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

So there isn’t a manager who will do a better job. ? 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That's not what I'm doing. I'm saying the defeat to St Mirren was far more damaging than the Brora defeat in the grand scheme of things. It was a high pressure game against St Mirren. If you want to compare, I'd compare that to our first game against Dundee this season which was also pitched as a must-win game.

Brora was a must win game. Dundee was a league game. 

kingantti1874
33 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

He’s getting it in the neck becuase he’s done a shit job, he wouldn’t need to get it in the neck if budge would set aside her personal preferences and make decisions based on logic rather than emotion 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

He’s getting it in the neck becuase he’s done a shit job, he wouldn’t need to get it in the neck if budge would set aside her personal preferences and make decisions based on logic rather than emotion 

But, unlike our previous 3 managers he has actually done his job (as he did last time he was in charge). HIs main job anyhow. Or his main two, because a lot of people seem to have forgotten the Hibs cup win. That and winning the league was all we cared about back in October last year, and he delivered. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

But, unlike our previous 3 managers he has actually done his job (as he did last time he was in charge). HIs main job anyhow.

He has. The warning signs are clear to see imo.  We will ignore them though and next season will be shite, imo of course. He’s not the right man to manage Hearts. 

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

So there isn’t a manager who will do a better job. ? 

To be specific, there isn't a manager we could afford that is guaranteed to do a better job.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He has. The warning signs are clear to see imo.  We will ignore them though and next season will be shite, imo of course. He’s not the right man to manage Hearts. 

That's fine. I disagree though. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I sincerely hope you are right.  

I've had my fill of manager changes. He did enough earlier this season to earn the right to properly rebuild in summer IMO.

I've had my fill of manager changes. He did enough earlier this season to earn the right to properly rebuild in summer IMO.

He has the right. No doubt about that. He’s not the best man for the job though and that is where we differ in option. 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

But, unlike our previous 3 managers he has actually done his job (as he did last time he was in charge). HIs main job anyhow. Or his main two, because a lot of people seem to have forgotten the Hibs cup win. That and winning the league was all we cared about back in October last year, and he delivered. 

no he hasn’t. We won the league in-spite of him. And we have been embarrassed on more than the 2 cup occasions 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, tynewater said:

To be specific, there isn't a manager we could afford that is guaranteed to do a better job.

Exactly, you would have thought people would have learned something since they were hounding Neilson out the last time. Since then we've had a complete rookie who seems to be a very good coach but can't manage. A very experienced manager who seemed not to be able to coach anymore, and latterly couldn't manage either. And an up and coming quite experienced foreign coach who could beat Rangers but not the teams we had to beat, like St Mirren and Hamilton. The bets out of the three, results wise, was also the most hated. It's a total lottery. I would have thought people would just want bit of stability for a year or so, but no, let's play manager roulette again.

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, tynewater said:

disagree. There are 2 managers who are get able who are on an entirely different level 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

no he hasn’t. We won the league in-spite of him. And we have been embarrassed on more than the 2 cup occasions 

So anything good we did is not down to Neilson but anything bad is? Got you.

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

disagree. There are 2 managers who are get able who are on an entirely different level 

That's the thing, we won't know that until they're here. Do you not remember Tommy McLean? Joe Jordan? Both very highly rated for different reasons.

Bad Religion
33 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

But haven’t we been told all season his sole remit was to get the club promoted? Where have these other primary and secondary targets suddenly appeared from? Were there any other targets with regards to the academy? Professional development of the current squad? Getting an ounce of effort out of our highly paid ‘stars’ that have contributed **** all for another season?

Stendels been done to death but there is absolutely no chance Robbie will receive the same shabby treatment from Budge, that he did. 

Neilsons getting it in the neck because he’s useless and an arrogant to boot. This seasons been dismal, not that I’m expecting you to agree. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Bad Religion said:

But haven’t we been told all season his sole remit was to get the club promoted? Where have these other primary and secondary targets suddenly appeared from? Were there any other targets with regards to the academy? Professional development of the current squad? Getting an ounce of effort out of our highly paid ‘stars’ that have contributed **** all for another season?

Stendels been done to death but there is absolutely no chance Robbie will receive the same shabby treatment from Budge, that he did. 

Neilsons getting it in the neck because he’s useless and an arrogant to boot. This seasons been dismal, not that I’m expecting you to agree. 

I don't set the targets. But all everyone was talking about last October was beating Dundee in the first game, beating Hibs in the semi and winning the league. 

kingantti1874

So anything good we did is not down to Neilson but anything bad is? Got you.

what did we do good until yesterday? When he made the changes supporters have been calling for months. Played players like Haring who should have been getting a game for months. 

When he leaves hearts he will manage at an appropriate level for a man of his abilities 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That's the thing, we won't know that until they're here. Do you not remember Tommy McLean? Joe Jordan? Both very highly rated for different reasons.

Joe Jordan who had us challenging at the top of the league until we stopped paying the players .

this aside, it is a gamble - but worth it becuase neilson will fail

Edited by kingantti1874

merseyjambo
18 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Eh, who managed to get us to that semi final.

Also conveniently being forgotten that we were probably a crossbar width away from losing that game. They missed their dodgy penalty, we scored our dodgy penalty.

Bad Religion
7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don't set the targets. But all everyone was talking about last October was beating Dundee in the first game, beating Hibs in the semi and winning the league. 

I know and hope you don’t set the targets. If winning the league wasn’t the sole remit, why is it acceptable for everything else with regards to managing a football club be neglected?

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

But the key word in my response was "guaranteed". All managers are a risk. I'll accept that Pep G wouldn't be much of a risk, but most others? Can you guarantee that Alex Neil, for example, would be a success? No, because nobody can. 

Like most Hearts supporters, I've been underwhelmed by most of our performances this season. But we have won the league convincingly, and imo it would be ridiculous to sack Robbie now. We win the league by 13 points and then sack the manager? Really? Even in the mad world of Vladimir Romanov that would make no sense.

I'm sure Robbie is well aware that we need to improve, and he'll also be confident that he can do what's required. He deserves the opportunity to have a go, and personally I hope he succeeds.

Guest ToqueJambo
22 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

I've asked this a few times. Did Stendel want to manage us in the Championship?

He wanted guarantees of where Hearts would be playing and when the league would start. We couldn't provide those for obvious reasons so we had to move on. This is what he and his agent said at the time:

"We are still waiting for more information or some sort of proposal from Ann (Budge). If we knew: 'OK it's in the Championship', fine. If we had a starting date for the Championship, and if the club had a clear vision of how to proceed, fine. If we knew when to start and what kind of football they wanted to play, what is their three-year plan and what are the aims and goals of the directors, it would help. If there was more clarity, then Daniel would say: "Okay, that sounds like a good project, let's go for it."

How could anyone provide any clarity back then? Sounds like he wanted guarantees we couldn't possibly provide for obvious reasons, which suggests to me he wasn't up for the Championship and that was the last thing we needed in a manager. We moved fast to get a manager that was as close to guaranteeing promotion as we could, and it worked.

This was 13 June. Neilson was appointed June 21st. I think there's more to the Stendel thing than we know. We needed someone willing to manage without knowing what league we'd be in or when it would start or what our budget might be, and Stendel obviously wasn't up for that.

Edited by ToqueJambo

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, tynewater said:

But the key word in my response was "guaranteed". All managers are a risk. I'll accept that Pep G wouldn't be much of a risk, but most others? Can you guarantee that Alex Neil, for example, would be a success? No, because nobody can. 

Like most Hearts supporters, I've been underwhelmed by most of our performances this season. But we have won the league convincingly, and imo it would be ridiculous to sack Robbie now. We win the league by 13 points and then sack the manager? Really? Even in the mad world of Vladimir Romanov that would make no sense.

I'm sure Robbie is well aware that we need to improve, and he'll also be confident that he can do what's required. He deserves the opportunity to have a go, and personally I hope he succeeds.

the only guarantee is it won’t work with Robbie Neilson, persisting with him will cost the club a lot of money in season tickets, FOH contributions and prize money after another failed season. He’s not up to it, and the vast majority of our fans have lost trust. 

we need to be united going into the new season, not allowing a failed manager to continue when the vast majority of the support want him gone. 

I’m as sure as I can be that Alex Neil would succeed, or that he will have a better chance of succeeding. Very simply Becuase he’s a better manager than Robbie neilson. 

Edited by kingantti1874

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

the only guarantee is it won’t work with Robbie Neilson, persisting with him will cost the club a lot of money in season tickets, FOH contributions and prize money after another failed season. He’s not up to it, and the vast majority of our fans have lost trust. 

we need to be united going into the new season, not allowing a failed manager to continue when the vast majority of the support want him gone. 

Hearts fans united? haha, good one. It'll take another admin event for that to happen. We've got maybe 2/3 a support of long-term Hearts fans who have seen it all and have a bit more perspective, and a bunch who came up during the Romanov years and have the patience of a hyperactive toddler and the expectations of someone who thinks 05/06 was a normal season for us.

kingantti1874

Hearts fans united? haha, good one. It'll take another admin event for that to happen. We've got maybe 2/3 a support of long-term Hearts fans who have seen it all and have a bit more perspective, and a bunch who came up during the Romanov years and have the patience of a hyperactive toddler and the expectations of someone who thinks 05/06 was a normal season for us.

The last 5 years have been as much of an outlier as the 05/06. Only in the opposite way.  I have been a hearts fans for over 35 years. I’ve seen the good and the bad. The last 5 years have been the worst in my lifetime - all achieved at a point in our history where we have never been wealthier. 

utter failure.

Bad Religion
24 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I've asked this a few times. Did Stendel want to manage us in the Championship?

He wanted guarantees of where Hearts would be playing and when the league would start. We couldn't provide those for obvious reasons so we had to move on. This is what he and his agent said at the time:

"We are still waiting for more information or some sort of proposal from Ann (Budge). If we knew: 'OK it's in the Championship', fine. If we had a starting date for the Championship, and if the club had a clear vision of how to proceed, fine. If we knew when to start and what kind of football they wanted to play, what is their three-year plan and what are the aims and goals of the directors, it would help. If there was more clarity, then Daniel would say: "Okay, that sounds like a good project, let's go for it."

How could anyone provide any clarity back then? Sounds like he wanted guarantees we couldn't possibly provide for obvious reasons, which suggests to me he wasn't up for the Championship and that was the last thing we needed in a manager. We moved fast to get a manager that was as close to guaranteeing promotion as we could, and it worked.

This was 13 June. Neilson was appointed June 21st. I think there's more to the Stendel thing than we know. We needed someone willing to manage without knowing what league we'd be in or when it would start or what our budget might be, and Stendel obviously wasn't up for that.

You’re deflecting on to Stendel. 

I’d rather you answered my other question with regards to Bobs remit. 

Guest ToqueJambo
22 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

You’re deflecting on to Stendel. 

I’d rather you answered my other question with regards to Bobs remit. 

His remit was to get promoted no? I'm talking about what we were talking about as fans in terms of what we wanted to happen this season. We all wanted to cuff Dundee, beat Hibs and win the league at a canter, which also meant being clear at the top after 75% of games just in case the SFA started their shenanigans again. We achieved all 4 of those "targets" but obviously failed dismally the two other competitions. 

Guest ToqueJambo
39 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The last 5 years have been as much of an outlier as the 05/06. Only in the opposite way.  I have been a hearts fans for over 35 years. I’ve seen the good and the bad. The last 5 years have been the worst in my lifetime - all achieved at a point in our history where we have never been wealthier. 

utter failure.

Not if you were around in the 80s. But anyhow, no-one disagrees with that view of the last few years. And yet Neilson is supposed to put 5 years of failure right in 6 months during a pandemic? Surely he deserves at least a year or two, especially if he does what he was hired to do in the first season (which hasn't really been a proper season anyhow)

Edited by ToqueJambo

There's seems to be a concerted effort to rewrite history that would be a but too much even for Orwell in 1984.

This place didn't go into meltdown after Alloa knocked us out the league cup, because everyone knew it wasn't a target for the season.

It was agreed by everyone that despite having the opportunity to win last season's cup by beating a struggling Celtic didn't matter, the season wasn't about that. 

And of course getting dumped out of the 2nd round of the cup by non league Brora barely registered with the fans because everyone had agreed ages ago that the cup wasn't a priority this season.

Everyone knows we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

There's seems to be a concerted effort to rewrite history that would be a but too much even for Orwell in 1984.

This place didn't go into meltdown after Alloa knocked us out the league cup, because everyone knew it wasn't a target for the season.

It was agreed by everyone that despite having the opportunity to win last season's cup by beating a struggling Celtic didn't matter, the season wasn't about that. 

And of course getting dumped out of the 2nd round of the cup by non league Brora barely registered with the fans because everyone had agreed ages ago that the cup wasn't a priority this season.

Everyone knows we have always been at war with Eastasia.

Promotion, beating Hibs and payback for the clubs that screwed us was all everyone was talking about, not "ooo, I wonder what style we'll play this season" or "if we don't beat everyone by 4 goals I'm cancelling my FoH payments"). The general consensus as I remember it was this year's cup competitions shouldn't even go ahead, but if they have to beating Hibs is all that matters expectation-wise, and many expected us not even to do that. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

The general consensus as I remember it was this year's cup competitions shouldn't even go ahead, but if they have to beating Hibs is all that matters expectation-wise, and many expected us not even to do that. 

Absolute escapism here in an effort to deliberately miss the point.

Not if you were around in the 80s. But anyhow, no-one disagrees with that view of the last few years. And yet Neilson is supposed to put 5 years of failure right in 6 months during a pandemic? Surely he deserves at least a year or two, especially if he does what he was hired to do in the first season (which hasn't really been a proper season anyhow)

Nope. No one ever said that or expected that. You know the criticisms that have been levelled at Neilson and this isn't on the list. 

Promotion, beating Hibs and payback for the clubs that screwed us was all everyone was talking about, not "ooo, I wonder what style we'll play this season" or "if we don't beat everyone by 4 goals I'm cancelling my FoH payments"). The general consensus as I remember it was this year's cup competitions shouldn't even go ahead, but if they have to beating Hibs is all that matters expectation-wise, and many expected us not even to do that. 

You. Are. Right.

War is peace.

kingantti1874

he supposed to not embarrass the club. 

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The Brora result will be remembered long after the St Mirren result is forgotten. It was the worst and most embarrassing defeat in our history.