Hearts U18s

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

A word of thanks to ex HYDC Chairman Calum Robertson who has decided to limit his use of the @FutureIsMaroon twitter handle.  His match updates will be missed by many on here, including myself.

.... and a message for the Hearts media team to pick up the baton. It's something that they have ignored for far too long.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Hesh

• Lfhearts

• jamboinglasgow

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Portable Badger
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

A word of thanks to ex HYDC Chairman Calum Robertson who has decided to limit his use of the @FutureIsMaroon twitter handle.  His match updates will be missed by many on here, including myself.

.... and a message for the Hearts media team to pick up the baton. It's something that they have ignored for far too long.

Many thanks Calum - your updates have been invaluable.

To echo those sentiments - the media team MUST dedicate more time & resource updating the co-owners on our investment in the academy

jamboinglasgow
6 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Completely agree with his tweet.

The club have been bad at promoting the academy. Its not just about live tweeting games or putting match reports up (they usually do the later for U18s.) But on the website there is only one page for the academy and its not changed for years and simply gives the basic information of what the academy is and how to apply for a trial. Other clubs have detailed sections on their website about the academy, or normally have a different twitter account which deals with the academy. Its sad that Calum is stepping back from most of it as the TFIM account is very informative (and the website you did a few years back was one of the best sources on the academy.) 

For all the talk the club is about the academy being so important to the future of the club and the future strategy, you wouldn't know it from how the club promotes it. 

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The club have been bad at promoting the academy. Its not just about live tweeting games or putting match reports up (they usually do the later for U18s.) But on the website there is only one page for the academy and its not changed for years and simply gives the basic information of what the academy is and how to apply for a trial. Other clubs have detailed sections on their website about the academy, or normally have a different twitter account which deals with the academy. Its sad that Calum is stepping back from most of it as the TFIM account is very informative (and the website you did a few years back was one of the best sources on the academy.) 

For all the talk the club is about the academy being so important to the future of the club and the future strategy, you wouldn't know it from how the club promotes it. 

My big disappointment in the Budge era.  With her background I thought our website would have become great.

Far from it.

kingantti1874
5 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

My big disappointment in the Budge era.  With her background I thought our website would have become great.

Far from it.

I think this is quite high on the list of next priorities 

• 1 month later...
Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

I notice that Hearts U18 game against Man Utd on Saturday has been removed from the U18s fixture list. I assume that it is also being deemed "closed door".

It will be Man Utd/Arsenal who will be renting the facilities so it will be up to them how they use/access them.

10 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I notice that Hearts U18 game against Man Utd on Saturday has been removed from the U18s fixture list. I assume that it is also being deemed "closed door".

It will be Man Utd/Arsenal who will be renting the facilities so it will be up to them how they use/access them.

Has to be ‘the hill’

Footballfirst

Hearts had a couple of trialists (2005s - U18s) come on as subs in today's game against Man Utd. One was previously with Rangers and the other appears to be attached to a setup called "Pro Chance Academy", although he has previously been at Spurs and Colchester academies. The ex Rangers lad looked to have decent ability, while the other lad didn't see much of the ball.

On 15/05/2022 at 00:51, jamboinglasgow said:

Seem to be more Liberal in their thinking and going all guns blazing to get the Women's Team sorted as a priority.

Can't see too many of those players making the club millions but if we do the U18's correctly we have seen what rewards can be achieved.

But then you have to be seen to be PC these days.

6 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Seem to be more Liberal in their thinking and going all guns blazing to get the Women's Team sorted as a priority.

Can't see too many of those players making the club millions but if we do the U18's correctly we have seen what rewards can be achieved.

I don't think the women's football will have any impact on the U18s.

Some of the best players to ever play the game have come from nothing. Kicking a can up and down the street as a kid. Kicking a ball off a wall as a teenager. No expensive training facilities as a youth. Just a hunger and determination to make it no matter what.

Our U18s have everything they need to become great players. All they need is the drive and determination within themselves to make it happen and they'll give themselves a great chance.

6 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Its not 'either or' though is it? If you think Hearts are supporting their women's team to be PC rather than because half the population are women and the game is making huge leaps at the moment then I think you are wrong.

Hearts are taking steps to sort out the male academy programmes AND working on the girls and womens structure at the same time.

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, mrcrisps said:

Its not 'either or' though is it? If you think Hearts are supporting their women's team to be PC rather than because half the population are women and the game is making huge leaps at the moment then I think you are wrong.

Hearts are taking steps to sort out the male academy programmes AND working on the girls and womens structure at the same time.

The club has heavily promoted the women's side recently through the website and other social media platforms. That is understandable given the way that the women's game is progressing/growing in importance nationally.

My issue is that the club has never promoted activities at the Academy to any great extent. It is after all the future of the men's, and increasingly the women's, game at first team level.

Virtually all the boys aged 16 or over in the academy are full timers, i.e. professional footballers, yet they receive minimal coverage from the club's media team.  If it wasn't for a few individuals on JKB and twitter, then we would know next to nothing about either the players or the games they are playing.  

I'd like to see the club promoting the various age groups much more and actually encourage fans to go along on a Friday evening, Saturday or Sunday mornings and watch the youngsters play.

4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The club has heavily promoted the women's side recently through the website and other social media platforms. That is understandable given the way that the women's game is progressing/growing in importance nationally.

My issue is that the club has never promoted activities at the Academy to any great extent. It is after all the future of the men's, and increasingly the women's, game at first team level.

Virtually all the boys aged 16 or over in the academy are full timers, i.e. professional footballers, yet they receive minimal coverage from the club's media team.  If it wasn't for a few individuals on JKB and twitter, then we would know next to nothing about either the players or the games they are playing.  

I'd like to see the club promoting the various age groups much more and actually encourage fans to go along on a Friday evening, Saturday or Sunday mornings and watch the youngsters play.

Given a family member spent 6 years in the Academy I would have first hand experience that allows me to agree 100% with you.

11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I’m not sure clubs want to do that 

Footballfirst
21 minutes ago, Hesh said:

I’m not sure clubs want to do that 

I'm aware that some clubs actively discourage people attending their academies, particularly those with closed door access like the OF.  Their argument is that they don't want players, coaches or referees being put under pressure by fans. They also want to control access for scouts from other clubs.

From my own experience of attending academy games, that isn't an issue. Virtually all parents, friends and others are mindful of what its all about and are respectful to everyone involved.

What I don't believe is too much to ask is for pen pictures of all the "professional" players, and team photographs/squad lists for all the age groups.  Additionally, there is nothing to stop the club highlighting tournaments that academy teams participate in, and any players who are part of national squads at all age groups.

Edited by Footballfirst

jamboinglasgow
31 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Completely agree with you. I would say that trying to turn it into a womens game v Youth ignores that the club has always been poor with covering the youth side of the game. As another poster says, its not an either/or situation for promoting the women and the youth.

I still think the fact that the Hearts website has a single page about the academy, which has the bare minimum on it sums up how the club treat coverage of it. As you say the fact over the years it has relied on volunteers to do their own work to get some information out sums it up. The club did the odd good video or bit of coverage over the years but it is always isolated, like they did a best goal of each age group for either the month or the year (cant remember which) but only did it once. They did a video at the end of 17/18 talking about all the youngsters who made their debut, going into detail about a few. They only did it once. 

I do think the club needs to look at how it promotes the academy and something FoH should raise with the club. The academy is a sizeable part of the club and a key pillar of the future growth for the club, but to have radio silence from the club is disappointing.

Jambo 4 Ever
On 09/07/2022 at 19:53, Footballfirst said:

Hearts had a couple of trialists (2005s - U18s) come on as subs in today's game against Man Utd. One was previously with Rangers and the other appears to be attached to a setup called "Pro Chance Academy", although he has previously been at Spurs and Colchester academies. The ex Rangers lad looked to have decent ability, while the other lad didn't see much of the ball.

What was our starting line up?

Footballfirst

Paris

Forrester Smutek Nair

Friel Crookston Chisholm Stevenson McLuckie

Sandilands Hambrook 

Subs Plesiewicz, Gillies, Cane (T), Queen (T)

22 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Paris

Forrester Smutek Nair

Friel Crookston Chisholm Stevenson McLuckie

Sandilands Hambrook 

Subs Plesiewicz, Gillies, Cane (T), Queen (T)

Hambrook up front?

Footballfirst
9 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Hambrook up front?

False number 9 :whistling:

Mackenzie Ross and James Wilson both away on holiday, I believe.

Westfield Hearts
45 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

False number 9 :whistling:

Mackenzie Ross and James Wilson both away on holiday, I believe.

Chasing shadows a lot of the game.

16 hours ago, mrcrisps said:

Has that not always been the case? It is just that this topic is more in the limelight now thatn ever before.

I am not saying this is a bad thing just that for years the Academy has not been promoted to the same extent.

From the  clubs perspective it would look even worse if they did not put some extra effort into the Academy to match what is going into the Womens game.

FF is someone who knows what goes on at this elevel and I trust what he says and I think he calls it properly.

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Looks like some imporvement for the club on coverage of non-first team

Not before time ........... or have they been reading JKB?

19 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Not before time ........... or have they been reading JKB?

They do read it.  We know that from comments made to one of the girls who played for Hearts who's Dad posted on here.

10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

How is Flatman coming along? Bit of noise about him a year or so back but heard little since. Club still have high hopes for the boy? Are the likes of Darge and Rathie considered ahead of him now? Dont think he made any 1st team squads last season for example (cld be wrong here)

Footballfirst
4 hours ago, TheBigO said:

How is Flatman coming along? Bit of noise about him a year or so back but heard little since. Club still have high hopes for the boy? Are the likes of Darge and Rathie considered ahead of him now? Dont think he made any 1st team squads last season for example (cld be wrong here)

He's struggled with illness and injury.  He's not played in pre-season. I seem to recall someone telling me that he was due to get an operation (hernia?).  I don't know if that is the reason he is currently out of the side.

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

He's struggled with illness and injury.  He's not played in pre-season. I seem to recall someone telling me that he was due to get an operation (hernia?).  I don't know if that is the reason he is currently out of the side.

Ah ok thanks for that FF, shame though, hope he comes thru it

Footballfirst
51 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Who are our top under 18s to look out for this season?

There is no one who stands out as having a good chance of breaking into the first team squad anytime soon.  Macauley Tait is probably closest, although both he and everyone else will have to prove themselves in the B team first.

I think we will have a fallow couple of years before we start to see a more productive crop from the academy.

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, Footballfirst said:

There is no one who stands out as having a good chance of breaking into the first team squad anytime soon.  Macauley Tait is probably closest, although both he and everyone else will have to prove themselves in the B team first.

I think we will have a fallow couple of years before we start to see a more productive crop from the academy.

Fair enough 

how far is Kirk?

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Fair enough 

how far is Kirk?

Kirk is too old for the U18s, so it will be B Team for him first as well. He went off injured after 5 minutes of the game against Man Utd and wasn't in yesterday's squad. I don't know how long he will be out.

Jambo 4 Ever
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Kirk is too old for the U18s, so it will be B Team for him first as well. He went off injured after 5 minutes of the game against Man Utd and wasn't in yesterday's squad. I don't know how long he will be out.

Ah fair enough 

hopefully he can kick on this season and be a rare youth striker success story for us!!

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Westfield Hearts said:

Arsenal today games at 1600 and 1800 I believe though cannot confirm.

That's the times I heard too. They were meant to be at 11am and 1pm but Arsenal's flight arrived late last night so they asked for the kick offs to be delayed.  I think it's the B team game first.

Footballfirst

The U18s won 4-3.  

Went 1-0 down from the penalty spot after just 5 mins.  Equalised through a Callum Sandilands goal just before the half hour mark, but conceded a second goal a couple of minutes later.

The second half saw Hearts equalise through Adam Forrester, then go 3-2 up with a goal from Mackenzie Ross. Three minutes into stoppage time Arsenal thought they had salvaged a draw with a late equaliser, only for Hearts to hit back immediately when Adam Forrester came in at the back post to meet a corner from Callum Sandilands.

The first half wasn't great from either side but it picked up a bit in the second. I wasn't very impressed by Arsenal who seemed content to pass the ball around, but with no end product. Best for Hearts were Forrester, Drysdale and Stevenson.  

Edited by Footballfirst

TyphoonJambo

How many times have we heard that the Scottish lads are smaller than English teams? Are our genetics messed up or what?

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

How many times have we heard that the Scottish lads are smaller than English teams? Are our genetics messed up or what?

No not really, they just have a far greater pool of players to pick from.

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

I suspect mass of numbers plays a part. Arsenal will be recruit from millions, which mean they can recruit not just technically gifted players, but also players who have a bigger physique. With a population a tenth the size of England, it makes it harder for Scottish football to have youngsters who have both technique and physique (so often is one or the other.)