Hearts U18s

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

The U21 game earlier saw Hearts field a strong B Team including Henderson, Smith, Logan, Denholm Darge and their MOTM Finlay Pollock.

It looked ominous at 2-0 down, but Hearts fought their way back into the game with a well worked goal. Pollock carried the ball at pace down the right flank and his low cross along the 6 yard line was met by Murray Thomas who had a simple side foot finish. 

Thomas should have equalised in the first minute of the second half when he shot straight at the keeper when it seemed just as easy to score.  

Again I was disappointed in Arsenal. They looked half decent for the first 20 minutes but once Hearts started to match them physically, there was little between the teams.  They wanted to pass the ball around but Hearts press seemed to upset them.  There were a couple of spells with both sides passing the ball around at walking pace (it was hot 🌞). It also got a little niggly for a while but at least it showed that it was contest.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Footballfirst

• Hesh

• Lfhearts

• jamboinglasgow

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TyphoonJambo

JiG and Mr Findlay, both bang on I suppose.

Footballfirst

Hibs U18s beat Arsenal 1-0 this morning, although Arsenal had three players sent off.

A young Hearts U18 side is scheduled to play Ayr United, indoors at the Oriam this evening (7.30pm).  I'm assuming that the older ones will be part of the B Team squad for tomorrow's LL game. 

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Hibs U18s beat Arsenal 1-0 this morning, although Arsenal had three players sent off.

A young Hearts U18 side is scheduled to play Ayr United, indoors at the Oriam this evening (7.30pm).  I'm assuming that the older ones will be part of the B Team squad for tomorrow's LL game. 

When you say young, some are 15 aren't they?

iain ferguson
13 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

When you say young, some are 15 aren't they?

I think about 6 of the under 16s are in the squad and there may be a couple of them still 14.

Footballfirst

Finished 2-1 to Ayr. I don't know how old the Ayr side was but Hearts ended up with mostly an U15/U16 side. 

Taylor Hogarth opened the scoring for Hearts, only for Ayr to equalise before half time following a mistake by Hearts defence.  Ayr's winner came from a long ball over the top with Hearts defence AWOL. Paris could only parry the ball to an Ayr forward for a tap in.

Gus Stevenson was listed on the teamsheet but didn't start.

There were seven or eight U18s watching on from the stand.  I assume that they will be in the squad for the B Team game tomorrow against Berwick and on Tuesday v Spartans.

The LL got off to a good start tonight with Civil Service Strollers beating Rangers B 2-1 at Marine Drive.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, iain ferguson said:

I think about 6 of the under 16s are in the squad and there may be a couple of them still 14.

There were 6 x 14 year olds, 4 x U15s and 2 x U16s (will be 15 later this year) in the squad. 

Portable Badger
11 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Finished 2-1 to Ayr. I don't know how old the Ayr side was but Hearts ended up with mostly an U15/U16 side. 

Taylor Hogarth opened the scoring for Hearts, only for Ayr to equalise before half time following a mistake by Hearts defence.  Ayr's winner came from a long ball over the top with Hearts defence AWOL. Paris could only parry the ball to an Ayr forward for a tap in.

Gus Stevenson was listed on the teamsheet but didn't start.

There were seven or eight U18s watching on from the stand.  I assume that they will be in the squad for the B Team game tomorrow against Berwick and on Tuesday v Spartans.

The LL got off to a good start tonight with Civil Service Strollers beating Rangers B 2-1 at Marine Drive.

Many thanks for the update.   Shame we didn’t win but hopefully they’ve  learned something and develop.

14 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

There were 6 x 14 year olds, 4 x U15s and 2 x U16s (will be 15 later this year) in the squad. 

FF do you know why we seem to field such young players in older age groups?

Is this a deliberate ploy or is it just because we don't have enough players for the various age groups?

Footballfirst
13 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

FF do you know why we seem to field such young players in older age groups?

Is this a deliberate ploy or is it just because we don't have enough players for the various age groups?

I think that last night was an exceptional case, due to the B Team game today.  I'd expect 2/3 U18s to start with another 5/6 on the bench. It was also a friendly and Ayr isn't one of the elite teams.

I don't think that Hearts is totally at ease with the consequences of operating a B team. If you exclude the "first team squad", plus those who are better that LL standard (have been on loan at Champ/L1/L2 clubs), then we don't have the numbers to fill a B team squad without compromising the U18s.

The scheduling of games is also an issue, as the U18s normally play on Fridays with the B Team on Saturdays.  That means if you are needed for the bench  on a Saturday you can't play on the Friday. You also risk only getting less than 30 minutes game time per week. However, If the U18s played on a Monday night, then anyone who didn't get any or much game time on a Saturday, could play the full 90 minutes with the U18s. 

The next month's B team games will hopefully show a direction of travel.  Will those who are better the LL standard continue to develop, or do they need to go out on loan again?  Hearts has a fairly challenging start to the Lowland League so it will be interesting how the players react.

Niemi’s gloves
43 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I think that last night was an exceptional case, due to the B Team game today.  I'd expect 2/3 U18s to start with another 5/6 on the bench. It was also a friendly and Ayr isn't one of the elite teams.

I don't think that Hearts is totally at ease with the consequences of operating a B team. If you exclude the "first team squad", plus those who are better that LL standard (have been on loan at Champ/L1/L2 clubs), then we don't have the numbers to fill a B team squad without compromising the U18s.

The scheduling of games is also an issue, as the U18s normally play on Fridays with the B Team on Saturdays.  That means if you are needed for the bench  on a Saturday you can't play on the Friday. You also risk only getting less than 30 minutes game time per week. However, If the U18s played on a Monday night, then anyone who didn't get any or much game time on a Saturday, could play the full 90 minutes with the U18s. 

The next month's B team games will hopefully show a direction of travel.  Will those who are better the LL standard continue to develop, or do they need to go out on loan again?  Hearts has a fairly challenging start to the Lowland League so it will be interesting how the players react.

All good points. On scheduling there is the added complication that some of the B team home games will presumably have to be moved to Friday or Sunday if Whitehill Welfare games are due to play at home on the Saturday. Or does does our deal with WW give us first call on their ground?

Edited by Niemi’s gloves

39 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Thanks for the uopdate FF.

It sounds a bit like we have maybe not been all that well prepared with the B Team getting into the LL.

The points you make re when games are played etc must surely have been known by the club so it doesn't sound all that well thought out.

Early days yet of course and we may well make more signings.

I am not entirely convinced that it is a good thing to play so many younger aged players as it can knock them back confidence wise and often be a bit tough physically.

Footballfirst
4 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Thanks for the uopdate FF.

It sounds a bit like we have maybe not been all that well prepared with the B Team getting into the LL.

The points you make re when games are played etc must surely have been known by the club so it doesn't sound all that well thought out.

Early days yet of course and we may well make more signings.

I am not entirely convinced that it is a good thing to play so many younger aged players as it can knock them back confidence wise and often be a bit tough physically.

The B Team squad photo is basically the four age groups of those born between 2003-06 and includes the entire U18 squad (2005-06).

Edited by Footballfirst

11 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The B Team squad photo is basically the four age groups of those born between 2003-06 and includes the entire U18 squad (2005-06).

👍

Footballfirst

The U18s lost their opening game of the new season 1-2 to Celtic.

James Wilson opened the scoring for Hearts, while both Celtic's goals came from the penalty spot (plus ça change).

Celtic finished bottom of the table last season, but now have a more experienced side with most players in their second season as U18 (starting line up 7 x 2005s and 4 x 2006s).  Hearts on the other hand now have a very young side due to several players either playing for or on the B Team bench (3 x 2005s, 5 x 2006s and 3 x 2007s). Callum Sandilands only played 45 minutes as he will be on the bench for the B team tomorrow.  Hearts also had 2 x 2008s (U15s) on the bench, one of whom Taylor Hogarth came on as a sub.

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Looks like Scotland has lost another potential youth internationalist to Northern Ireland.

Top prospect James Wilson had previously been called up to Scotland U16 training camps, but has been named in Northern Ireland's U17 squad for a mini tournament that started today in Norway.

http://www.irishfa.com/news/2022/august/u17s-boss-lyttle-names-22-strong-squad-for-nordic-cup

jamboinglasgow
20 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Looks like Scotland has lost another potential youth internationalist to Northern Ireland.

Top prospect James Wilson had previously been called up to Scotland U16 training camps, but has been named in Northern Ireland's U17 squad for a mini tournament that started today in Norway.

http://www.irishfa.com/news/2022/august/u17s-boss-lyttle-names-22-strong-squad-for-nordic-cup

Saw in the list another striker for Northern Ireland called Kirk. Imagine no relation to Andy and Mackenzie.

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Saw in the list another striker for Northern Ireland called Kirk. Imagine no relation to Andy and Mackenzie.

I saw that too, but I have no idea if there is a connection.

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst
19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The line-up shows that Hearts is short of players at at U18 level the moment, partly due to injury and partly the needs of the B Team.

Two U16s (Pilch and Wilson) starting.  Only 3 subs, two of whom were U16s plus a trialist goalkeeper.

Edited by Footballfirst

• 1 month later...

Youth Cup 2nd round draw gives Hearts an away tie against Haddington Athletic. I assume that it will be played at Millfield.  Games due to be played on Friday 21 October.

Under the floodlight
20 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Today's result. (nothing from Hearts media team).

In all fairness United are on all out pursuit mode, a lot of teams to catch. 😁😁

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst

Two academy players in the latest Scotland U17 squad.  Bobby McLuckie has been called up before, but it will be Rocco Friel's first inclusion in a Scotland squad.

Rocco hasn't played for the B team as yet, but will be able to do so in 10 days time, once he turns 16.

Ex Hearts youngster Ewan Simpson is also in the squad.

Edited by Footballfirst

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst

U18's at home tonight against Hamilton. 7.30 k.o.

Scotland U16 squad for the Victory Shield also announced, with three Hearts youngsters involved, James Wilson, Gus Stevenson and a first call up for Gregor Burn.

FfCcKYrXkAAAsBu?format=jpg&name=900x900

Footballfirst
5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

U18's at home tonight against Hamilton. 7.30 k.o.

Hearts drew 2-2 with Hamilton tonight. 

1-0 up at half time from a Ryan Duncan strike from 25 yards and Hamilton down to 10 men after a lunge from distance.  Hearts failed to make use of their extra man during the second half and went 1-2 behind to two headers from their centre back, the second with just a minute left, before Callum Sandilands equalised with a backheel flick in stoppage time. 

Edited by Footballfirst

Ford Prentice
13 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Hearts drew 2-2 with Hamilton tonight. 

1-0 up at half time from a Ryan Duncan strike from 25 yards and Hamilton down to 10 men after a lunge from distance.  Hearts failed to make use of their extra man during the second half and went 1-2 behind to two headers from their centre back, the second with just a minute left, before Callum Sandilands equalised with a backheel flick in stoppage time. 

Get him signed.

Footballfirst

Scotland U17s started their UEFA U17 Championship campaign with a 6-0 win over Malta this morning.

Bobby McLuckie started and contributed a goal and an assist.

Rocco Friel was an unused sub.

Footballfirst

Youth cup tie tomorrow evening

Hearts visit Millfield in Scottish Youth Cup

by hadd1ngt0n | Oct 19, 2022 | 1st Team News

An attractive cup tie takes place at Millfield this coming Friday, 21st October, when Haddington Athletic Under 20s entertain Hearts in the second round of the Scottish Youth Cup, a competition restricted to players under 18 years of age. The young Hi Hi’s earned their place in this round when they beat Tynecastle 4 -1 in Edinburgh last month and they will relish the chance to face their more fancied opponents. Manager Scott Martin will be without influential midfielder Wilson Ngome who has a serious knee injury and will be without several of Wilson’s older teammates.

Entry is by a suggested donation of at least £2 and Haddington are hoping for a good attendance.

Footballfirst

Not the strongest Hearts line up with 5 x U16s starting, but ultimately a comfortable win all the same.

Wilkie

Gillies, Smutek, Walker, Drysdale

Crookston, Chisholm, Stevenson, Duncan

Wilson, Plesiewicz

Subs Anderson, Beveridge, Ross, Muirhead, Pilch, Allan, Silwinski

Just now, Footballfirst said:

Not the strongest Hearts line up with 5 x U16s starting, but ultimately a comfortable win all the same.

Wilkie

Gillies, Smutek, Walker, Drysdale

Crookston, Chisholm, Stevenson, Duncan

Wilson, Plesiewicz

Subs Anderson, Beveridge, Ross, Muirhead, Pilch, Allan, Silwinski

Did you go down and watch mate.

Footballfirst

Hearts started slowly, with Wilson missing a good chance in the first minute. Wilkie had a couple of good saves and Haddington hit the bar before Hearts scored their opener just after the half hour mark. Plesiwicz's shot was saved but Wilson was left with an easy finish for the goal.

The same pair combined for the second this time with Wilson scoring from close range from a pass across the face of the goal.  Hearts then dominated the rest of the game.

Matty Gillies put in a great cross for the third for Crookston to volley home from six yards.

Szymon Plesiewicz's scored after following up his own shot the that keeper saved and managed to bundle the ball over the line.

Gus Stevenson scored the fifth after linking up with Wilson on the right before making his way into the box and lifted the ball over the advancing keeper for a nice finish.

Ryan Duncan got the sixth direct from a corner.

Haddington's consolation was a terrific strike by their left back from 20 yards into the top left hand corner of the goal.

Ethan Drysdale was Hearts best player in the first half when driving forward on the left (I don't think he's a full back anyway).  In the second half both Wilson and Stevenson did well.

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Other 2nd Round results (that I can find)

Ross County 1-5 Aberdeen

Kilmarnock 0-1 Dundee Utd

Stirling Albion 0-3 Rangers

Dunfermline Ath. 5-1 (aet) Morton

East Fife 0-4 Hamilton Accies

Footballfirst

Scotland U17s won 3-0 their second group game against Northern Ireland today.  Bobby McLuckie started and Rocco Friel came on as a substitute in the second half.

29 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Lost 5-1 against the Czechs today. Performance schools working well 🙈

Through to the second stage which would be the aim

We_are_the_Hearts
49 minutes ago, inspector said:

Through to the second stage which would be the aim

Fair enough but Czech Republic should be the standard they are aiming for surely?

Footballfirst
38 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Celtic v Deveronvale

Dunfermline v Alloa

Motherwell v Hearts

Rangers v Hibs

Clachnacuddin v Dundee Utd

St Johnstone v Falkirk

Aberdeen v Queens Park

Ayr v Hamilton