Kittens, Avon ladies and Insurance men

Captain Slog

Captain Slog

It's only about two months till the future Mrs Captain Jambo ( @Dorothy) arrives here from Kansas so we can start our new life together.  So I was looking about for a new member of the family we both want to greet her.  But blow me, kittens are three hundred quid each on gumtree now, even the not posh ones.

Now i recall a time, not so long ago, when every newsagent had a board with adverts, usually with a kittens free to good homes one on it, s it got me to thinking, what else isn't there anymore from the seventies and eighties when I was at school.

Ill start with

Avon Ladies

Insurance men

Bon Accord Lorry

Rag n bone man

Maybe my social circle is so small they still exist, but what else am i forgetting service wise from those days?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ¼½¾

• Auldbenches

• JudyJudyJudy

• Tazio

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Captain Slog
Just now, Captain Slog said:

It's only about two months till the future Mrs Captain Jambo ( @Dorothy) arrives here from Kansas so we can start our new life together.  So I was looking about for a new member of the family we both want to greet her.  But blow me, kittens are three hundred quid each on gumtree now, even the not posh ones.

Now i recall a time, not so long ago, when every newsagent had a board with adverts, usually with a kittens free to good homes one on it, s it got me to thinking, what else isn't there anymore from the seventies and eighties when I was at school.

Ill start with

Avon Ladies

Insurance men

Bon Accord Lorry

Rag n bone man

Maybe my social circle is so small they still exist, but what else am i forgetting service wise from those days?

And tupperware ladies.

Carl Weathers

A man going round houses selling the pools coupons. Do they still exist?

Edited by Carl Weathers

Avon ladies certainly still exist - they just ply their wares on Facebook along with Scentsy, candles and all sorts of other unnecessary shite.

And £300 for a kitten? A ****ing moggy? Outrageous - ours cost **** all but for some cat food for the mammy cat.

Captain Slog
Just now, Captain Slog said:

Whats Scentsy?

Oh christ i looked, please no, don't tell Mrs Captain Slog

2 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

You have permission to call me an idiot if I ever look twice at any of those mlm schemes.

2 minutes ago, Captain Slog said:

I don't even know - other than it keeps popping up on folks' FB feeds. I presume something smelly...?

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, Dorothy said:

You have permission to call me an idiot if I ever look twice at any of those mlm schemes.

Are you going to pay 300 for a cat..? 

Captain Slog
3 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

Well, the idea is to not have to.

We are not buying a dog, at least cats keep down rodent and help people on other threads,  Dogs just dribble, and smell, and cost more

9 minutes ago, Dorothy said:

There's that many missing cat posts on FB there must be a lot of folk who share that sentiment.

4 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

There's that many missing cat posts on FB there must be a lot of folk who share that sentiment.

Yeah, not that type of person. Not going to steal from someone just because I want something. Just think 300 is a bit steep.

Edited by Dorothy

Getting a Provy cheque (80s)

Party lines on the phone (70s)

2 pints of milk a day and 4 on a Saturday delivered to your doorstep.

Answering your phone by the number....Hello, Livingston...34259

The Gorgie Aggro

J.T.F.Robertson
2 hours ago, Dorothy said:

2 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

We are not buying a dog, at least cats keep down rodent and help people on other threads,  Dogs just dribble, and smell, and cost more

I've had cats all my life. Get yourselves down to a local RSPCA joint, there are thousands of puss pusses need a home.

(I might be missing something here, wouldn't be the first time)

manaliveits105

Back green singers 

People used to throw money out their windows (even to get rid)

Delivery buskers!

:gocompare:

Women with head scarfs on.

Groups of old men standing at street corners on a Saturday afternoon.

Kids playing with toy guns.

Салатные палочки

The coal man. The one that came up our street used to make me shit myself. Big beard and donkey jacket and big black face, always appeared out of nowhere through the close to dump the coal in the bunker. 

I remember one summer there was an algae break out in the local dams. A van came round for a few weeks to give us water from the back of it. Had to go out with a bucket for washing water and a bottle for drinking water. 

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Do fathers of the brides still do scatters for the young kids?

poor oots surely 

Byyy The Light
37 minutes ago, CostaJambo said:

The fish van.

Still see fish vans kicking about all over Edinburgh

Wee perforated stamps on Brooke Bond tea boxes.

Fag coupons.

Spot the ball.

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Think your right on the naming, 

Do they still get done , I haven’t seen one since I was about 5.

I haven't seen a wedding for years.  If they still do them, I'd imagine they'd be pretty grim as less folk carry cash and fewer small change.

Space hoppers.

Flared trousers.

Swingball.

H̶e̶a̶r̶t̶s̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶2̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶i̶e̶r̶.̶

Only glass bottles.

Cans with ring pulls you pulled off.

Plasters in a metal box.

Салатные палочки
18 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Only glass bottles.

Cans with ring pulls you pulled off.

Plasters in a metal box.

Friday and Saturday nights my old man always had a wee bundle on the table next to his seat.  

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, Jambo314 said:

Ahhh the days😊

Tennent's 1980s models bid for retro can comeback they reckon would be  'absolute seller' with Scots punters

Buying peanuts in a pub and every packet taken down revealed a another bit of a sexy woman.  

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Think your right on the naming, 

Do they still get done , I haven’t seen one since I was about 5.

A guy I went to primary school with got knocked down and nearly killed one Saturday afternoon when he ran out on the street to be part of a scramble. He's still got a dent in his head to this day. 

Imagine that happening on your wedding day. Must have put a dampener on the reception.  

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Mister T said:

Onion Johnny's. Not to be confused with their rubber cousins. 

I used to think they had cycled here from France.

SectionDJambo
9 hours ago, FWJ said:

2 postal deliveries a day.  And the first one was early - like at about 7am.

Various collection times, the latest being around 5 or 6pm. Our only collection from the post box round the corner is 9am.

Hugh Phamism
3 hours ago, CostaJambo said:

The fish van.

There's one outside my house right now. Pittenweem to Bo'ness every Wednesday and Friday. 

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

Buying peanuts in a pub and every packet taken down revealed a another bit of a sexy woman.  

I vaguely remember these.  Great marketing! :D

Ainsley Harriott

When ice cream vans sold single fags. The kids are all vaping these days

Edited by Ainsley Harriott

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

Ill start with

Avon Ladies

Insurance men

Bon Accord Lorry

Rag n bone man

Go to a SSPA rescue centre, you’ll get plenty of kitten choice there and only pay for their vaccination/admin costs......I got 2 kittens there 17 years ago and I still have them....they were both found abandoned, we never did find out their past before we had them.  
One is female and tabby looking like a wild Scottish cat, the other mail is a big Norwegian forest cat.

highlandjambo3
5 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Go to a SSPA rescue centre, you’ll get plenty of kitten choice there and only pay for their vaccination/admin costs......I got 2 kittens there 17 years ago and I still have them....they were both found abandoned, we never did find out their past before we had them.  
One is female and tabby looking like a wild Scottish cat, the other mail is a big Norwegian forest cat.

Male that should read.