Big dunc

LeftBack

9 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

Good spot.   Lots of rumours doing the rounds but one thing AB will be doing is holding her cards close to her chest and respecting RNs confidentiality.   I take it all simply as speculation.  

Quite agree. 

I like Big Dunc as a guy and as a player. Pure heart on the sleeve character. 

I don't think he'd be the right man. He's just too risky. The last thing we would need is oor manager headbutting a ref or strangling one pitch side if we've had bad decisions against us. 

I don't know if he could keep a lid on it, he's absolutely mental. 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LeftBack

• GinRummy

• pointon

• A_A wehatethehibs

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Quite agree. 

I like Big Dunc as a guy and as a player. Pure heart on the sleeve character. 

I don't think he'd be the right man. He's just too risky. The last thing we would need is oor manager headbutting a ref or strangling one pitch side if we've had bad decisions against us. 

I don't know if he could keep a lid on it, he's absolutely mental. 

I kind of like the idea of him beelining towards a panicked Willie Collum following (yet another) dubious penalty award. 

He’d take no nonsense from some of our under achieving players. Said it for a while this club  needs a shake up from top to bottom. A manager with high standards and who is unwilling to accept mediocrity would be an excellent start.

Glamorgan Jambo

He’ll be on a pretty huge wage at Everton. The owners would be under severe pressure from the fans if they let him go.

Seymour M Hersh
11 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Who? Shearer or Ferguson?

The Ancelotti reference should have cleared that up FB.

20 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

He had those Everton players running themselves into the ground for him. That's all I really remember.

Yep they'd been underperforming and all of a sudden were running through walls for Dunc.

He held himself very well for those few games. I get the impression he'd be the type to set up a team pretty simply but just have them out work and out run the opposition. That's all we need.

We'll have better players than probably 80% of our opposition, if we work harder than them too, it's pretty simple maths! I also think he'd have no fear of OF.

Like others, don't see it, but unlike others, wouldn't see it as a risk at all.

The talk of him chinning refs etc. Daft. Doesn't come in to it. From what I've heard and read of him, he commands respect through character and passion, not intimidation. Aye he was a nutter when young, but a club like Everton don't keep you if you've got players up against walls and threatening refs etc. Hibs, Celtic and the likes condone that from Lennon but no chance you climb the ladder at Everton if you've no filter for pure violence as a coach!!!

Edited by TheBigO

john thomas
48 minutes ago, franco2209 said:

Your wording was in relation to being ' a good manager'   👍

To be fair I thought the point was well made .

Wouldn't pretend to know how things work in training [spare us the usual keech] but did think the combination of Neilson and McCulloch was , on paper , ideal .

Noticed McCulloch doing arm round the shoulder stuff at times , don't get the impression there is much arse kicking going on ?

LarrysRightFoot

Bannockburn boy I think, so may still have ties/family up here. 

First thoughts are, I can’t imagine players getting away with not giving 100% - which is exactly what we need - and he would be very marketable, entertaining. 

10 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

Anyone who confronts burglars in the scud with a grin on his face as he comes down the stairs to batter them would thankfully put the fear into our squad. 

It’s a yes from me. 

Is this actually true have heard it being told but thought it was just a story. 

Wouldn't have a problem with big Dunc. 

I think it would merely be a stepping stone though for whenever the Everton job comes along.

Unfortunately, it would appear that Robbie has superglued himself to the post and has no intentions of freeing up any time soon!

It was his fourth conviction. In 1991 he was convicted of head-butting a policeman in Stirling and fined #125.

The following year, he was fined #200 after he punched and kicked a postman who was on crutches.

the third assault, at Anstruther, Fife, in 1992, an argument took place in a pub and a fisherman was knocked to the ground.

11 hours ago, LeftBack said:

I've said it before. Friends with the big man and he was approached before Stendel but wanted to stay with Ancelloti. Very interested in hearts job and has 100% been asked if interested. 

Did well in his very short term as stand in manager at Everton. Certainly endeared himself to the players and fans with his enthusiasm. Was he talk of the EPL in that short term. Would take no s""t from anyone.  

Italian Lambretta
1 hour ago, Gmcjambo said:

Good spot.   Lots of rumours doing the rounds but one thing AB will be doing is holding her cards close to her chest and respecting RNs confidentiality.   I take it all simply as speculation.  

Or she's more likely doing **** all

A_A wehatethehibs

For me, big dunc is yet another unknown quantity / rookie as a manager. The only advantage is he could get us a few Everton youths on loan. Are they going to be any good? Judging by the dross that’s come to us from man United, West Ham and Liverpool in recent years probably not. But he has been coaching for a number of years now so, maybe  

The right move for us at this moment in time for me is an experienced SPL manager that knows how to build a back 4 and central midfield who will be disciplined, physically dominant and do their jobs. We are all set at goalkeeper and look quite decent front 4-5. Maybe 1 more winger and a young striker for Naismith to mentor. 

2 good center halves, 2 good Center mids, and 3 or 4 younger players in to compete for a place, that’s all we need to be a force next season IMO. I Would want to go with a manager who would have the experience to identify that and implement that fix. We don’t actually need that massive a turnover of players but it’s the positions that are so important because it’s the spine of the team. So for that reason I wouldn’t want it to be someone coming into their first managers job.

But there’s other factors as well i suppose. Big dunc would certainly bring a spotlight to the club especially for the games against Rangers and Celtic

Borders Jambo
48 minutes ago, gavvy said:

Naismith as player coach/assistant?

No idea why Naismith keeps getting mentioned.  Has he done much coaching?

For me if we got big Dunc, there should only be one Assistant, Pasquale Bruno.  Imagine season ticket sales. 

I see this as quite positive, but as mentioned we would have to give him a bit of time. Gerrard never nailed it initially which highlights this.  Whilst I hear the misbehaviour in his early days, I think he clearly has grown up or he would not be in the position he is now.

The experienced manager bit does not to do it for me, look around England......Allardyce, Pulis, Lambert and loads of others just constantly moving round clubs getting rich and getting sacked. To me they are more of a risk. Continually pish!

I for one would happily take this option rather the same old folk doing the rounds.

therefsajambo
31 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It was his fourth conviction. In 1991 he was convicted of head-butting a policeman in Stirling and fined #125.

The following year, he was fined #200 after he punched and kicked a postman who was on crutches.

the third assault, at Anstruther, Fife, in 1992, an argument took place in a pub and a fisherman was knocked to the ground.

The postman was a Jambo Tae. 

His parents still stay in st ninians. It was carse thistle who he played for when he was young. Couldnae get a game for St Ninians. 

9 minutes ago, Mabawsa said:

I see this as quite positive, but as mentioned we would have to give him a bit of time. Gerrard never nailed it initially which highlights this.  Whilst I hear the misbehaviour in his early days, I think he clearly has grown up or he would not be in the position he is now.

The experienced manager bit does not to do it for me, look around England......Allardyce, Pulis, Lambert and loads of others just constantly moving round clubs getting rich and getting sacked. To me they are more of a risk. Continually pish!

I for one would happily take this option rather the same old folk doing the rounds.

I'd be willing to give him a chance definitely.

The reason people don't want Neilson here (including me) is he's the safe option, a nice guy who won't rock the boat and will carry on with boring, dull, uninspired and outdated football.

I'd have kept Stendel despite the poor run of form because he was an actual football manager, not some diddy just doing what Budge says.

Would love this appointment, we might actually end up playing football again.

Edited by Sertse

Would be an exciting appointment imo, but cannot see it happening.

An exciting appointment is what we need right now, someone who will have all the fragments of the club pulling in one direction. (Not saying that has to be DF)

McInnes/Neil/Robinson/McCann etc would be 'safe' appointments and would be seen as a bit 'meh'.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Yep they'd been underperforming and all of a sudden were running through walls for Dunc.

He held himself very well for those few games. I get the impression he'd be the type to set up a team pretty simply but just have them out work and out run the opposition. That's all we need.

We'll have better players than probably 80% of our opposition, if we work harder than them too, it's pretty simple maths! I also think he'd have no fear of OF.

Like others, don't see it, but unlike others, wouldn't see it as a risk at all.

The talk of him chinning refs etc. Daft. Doesn't come in to it. From what I've heard and read of him, he commands respect through character and passion, not intimidation. Aye he was a nutter when young, but a club like Everton don't keep you if you've got players up against walls and threatening refs etc. Hibs, Celtic and the likes condone that from Lennon but no chance you climb the ladder at Everton if you've no filter for pure violence as a coach!!!

Agree with all this. Has served a very good apprenticeship at a well run club under a managerial great and was impressive as caretaker manager. Sadly no chance this will happen but would be an exciting appointment. 

10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

As a manager He’s just a hard ian Cathro at this stage. 

Perhaps that was precisely what Cathro needed?

3 hours ago, DH1986 said:

There is a definite slight change of tone here.

Really not. Im not that strange! Anyway Mon the hearts today. 

1 hour ago, Borders Jambo said:

For me if we got big Dunc, there should only be one Assistant, Pasquale Bruno.  Imagine season ticket sales. 

Another fantasy story🙄 but interviewed Bruno and rousett as part of my dissertation for uni-the foreign influence in Scottish football. When I was speaking to Bruno Robbo came in and said stay off the Moscow mules you mental italian. Gilles had a massive stutter and kept banging desk which was a bit awkward for editing 

Would be a risky appointment given his inexperience of being number 1.

Gave a good account of himself in the short spell he was Everton caretaker but could relax a little and be himself as he knew he wasn't getting it full time. 

Wouldn't be against him getting a chance though! 

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

So a policeman , fisherman and postman walk into Duncan Ferguson...whats the punchline

TyphoonJambo
15 hours ago, pointon said:

I would give him a piggy up here if that is true

You and me both mate. Exactly what we need. I bet he'd "get the message across". I just want him into batter some folk.

Geddyalexneil
3 hours ago, Borders Jambo said:

Can you imagine the 2 of them on the touchline? Christ the officials would be terrified to give a decision against us😂.

That would be good!

Just now, sadj said:

So a policeman , fisherman and postman walk into Duncan Ferguson...whats the punchline

The candlestick maker, fearing the worst,  moved out of the area

Just now, GinRummy said:

The candlestick maker, fearing the worst,  moved out of the area

Touché my friend

Just now, sadj said:

Touché my friend

The bit about the postie being on crutches took me aback a wee bit. Can you imagine that big lump coming at you when you’re hobbling about on crutches 🥺

Borders Jambo
2 hours ago, LeftBack said:

Another fantasy story🙄 but interviewed Bruno and rousett as part of my dissertation for uni-the foreign influence in Scottish football. When I was speaking to Bruno Robbo came in and said stay off the Moscow mules you mental italian. Gilles had a massive stutter and kept banging desk which was a bit awkward for editing 

Brilliant story and what a great dissertation to do

My wife met Gilles when he was here.  She was involved with a charity at the time and in charge of a hospice.  Gilles turned up to create a bit of publicity for the charity and was an absolute gentleman.

How I would love if we could find players like Gilles, Bruno, Salvatori and Adam again.

18 minutes ago, Borders Jambo said:

Brilliant story and what a great dissertation to do

My wife met Gilles when he was here.  She was involved with a charity at the time and in charge of a hospice.  Gilles turned up to create a bit of publicity for the charity and was an absolute gentleman.

How I would love if we could find players like Gilles, Bruno, Salvatori and Adam again.

I know people will think he was big... But **** me... Meeting him in person he was huge. Hands like shovels. Unfortunately I also interviewed hans eskilsson. To be honest jj said it was toss up between me and him to start against Motherwell 

1 minute ago, LeftBack said:

I know people will think he was big... But **** me... Meeting him in person he was huge. Hands like shovels. Unfortunately I also interviewed hans eskilsson. To be honest jj said it was toss up between me and him to start against Motherwell 

I also interviewed jj the day mcann signed for rangers. He came up to boss and said that's me away gaffer. The fan in me just said.. So how much did we get for him £2m? I swear the look jj gave me will haunt me till day I die... "its got xxxx all to do with you son" 

55 minutes ago, sadj said:

Sound like the Brora team. 

Unknown user
4 hours ago, a11ank said:

Wouldn't have a problem with big Dunc. 

I think it would merely be a stepping stone though for whenever the Everton job comes along.

Unfortunately, it would appear that Robbie has superglued himself to the post and has no intentions of freeing up any time soon!

I'm a fan of big Dunc, the boy's a force of nature. He's also highly respected in terms of coaching, in the same way Gerrard was at Liverpool. I'd love to see him at Hearts.

Ibrahim Tall
4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

As a manager He’s just a hard ian Cathro at this stage. 

Given Cathro biggest ‘problems’ seemed to be perception that he was a ‘mumbling little geek with a laptop’ without a playing career rather than anything else, I don’t think that’s necessarily a problem..

A_A wehatethehibs
10 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

Given Cathro biggest ‘problems’ seemed to be perception that he was a ‘mumbling little geek with a laptop’ without a playing career rather than anything else, I don’t think that’s necessarily a problem..

Aye but I’m talking about his credentials for the Hearts job. The 3rd biggest job in Scottish football. His credentials are about level with what Cathros were when he joined. A rookie with no relevant experience of this league or of management. Erego he’s just a hard Ian Cathro at this stage. 

56 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Aye but I’m talking about his credentials for the Hearts job. The 3rd biggest job in Scottish football. His credentials are about level with what Cathros were when he joined. A rookie with no relevant experience of this league or of management. Erego he’s just a hard Ian Cathro at this stage. 

Spoke to my old mate big Duncan... He says he is daft but not stupid 

9 minutes ago, LeftBack said:

So is he still interested?

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, LeftBack said:

I don’t necessarily think he would be a bad shout tbf but the point is about the fact that management is an entirely different animal to coaching. And especially this particular management job at this particular moment in time. The pressure cooker here is as intense as it’s been in years, the fans are absolutely fuming about how the club has been run into the ground and has he seen the absolute state of our squad? Whoever comes in as manager is not going to be doing much coaching, they are going to have to be making signing after signing starting with Center halves and Center mids, and fill basically 10 jerseys, only Gordon is up to standard I’d say. Maybe Kingsley. It is a colossal job and that’s before the coaching even starts. But I suppose there’s risk and reward, every chance he could come in and put himself right in the management mix. For me, I would favour someone who is up to speed with the division and has that track record of making good signings of players who have succeeded in the SPL someone who knows that formula.