Won the Championship by 12 Points (title updated)

wattie exploited

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Because he was largely shopping in Poundland. Add in that no decent up and coming player was going to move to a truncated second tier in Scottish football and it’s fair to say his recruitment options were severely limited. With Savage on board and club back in the top league there’s no excuse from this summer onwards. For me his return really starts in August. 

The fact that why recruitment in the championship may not produce a top 3/4 top flight  team over night needs explained is beyond me.

Folk that have followed football for a number of years cannot be this daft?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• jr ewing

Lookinng at next Championship fixtures Raith, Scumdee and Dunfermline all play each other so ALL could drop points. IMO two more wins is all we nerf.

49 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This is the kind of mentality that was used to trash Levein critics : keep dredging up a big result (in his case THAT Celtic game). But it won't wash this time, people are more than fed up with half arsed players and their half arsed attitude to games.

8 clean sheets in 28 (or whatever it is, league games). In the 2nd tier of Scottish football.

Yesterday was pitiful. 

Oh please give it a f**** rest..get real. It's about getting out this league that's the remit, that's the job and we're well on target to do that with games to spare.

It's about points (POINTS ok..got that) and getting back to the Premiership, what this now bull/s now the bores are moaning about... the number of clean sheets...Jesus.

We're on target for one the best points total for winning this league, are we playing fanciful, flowing football in a 'dog-eat-dog', 'win-the-second-ball'  type of league?..NO... does it matter a f**** jot  -  it's about getting back to the Premiership END OF.

You ca can moan about/demand the Pep Guardiola type football in August, in the meantime please stfu and try supporting the team/manager/club as they achieve the main (only) aim that matters this season that of winning promotion. 

Capisce...

Bad Religion
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Getting points is performing well imo. 

The two are connected, they have to be. 

Winning games, going unbeaten is performing well. 

You described the first half, last week as the worst performance of the season. Would you say we improved on that yesterday? If so, how?

17 hours ago, ADAM said:

Yeah we would have struggled in the top league.....just look at hammerings Hibs and Celtic gave us earlier this season at Hampden. You only have to look at how Hibs, the 3rd placed Premiership team, utterly destroyed Alloa 2-1 and Dundee 1-0 in the league cup. The premier teams are simple miles ahead of us just look at how St Johnstone destroyed the Pars in the league cup on penalties, after drawing 1-1 in extra time. 

Oh look.....a happy clapper! 😉

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Because he was largely shopping in Poundland. Add in that no decent up and coming player was going to move to a truncated second tier in Scottish football and it’s fair to say his recruitment options were severely limited. With Savage on board and club back in the top league there’s no excuse from this summer onwards. For me his return really starts in August. 

we still have one the biggest budgets in Scottish football, higher than the vast majority of the premier league 

Hectormasson

I'm sure there's a few players on our radar, just get things up and running in due course , savage will have people that will want to come to hearts, let's hope we deal wisely ....and then let's see if Robbie can take us up the spl top 4 .....

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

Difficult to move on. 

Lots put of contract. 

22 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

we still have one the biggest budgets in Scottish football, higher than the vast majority of the premier league 

Think you will find our wage bill this season is much lower than last season. Only 9 months until we can verify that comment though. 
much smaller budget usually means much inferior quality of player. 

20 minutes ago, Hectormasson said:

I'm sure there's a few players on our radar, just get things up and running in due course , savage will have people that will want to come to hearts, let's hope we deal wisely ....and then let's see if Robbie can take us up the spl top 4 .....

No idea re Savage connections down south but out of contract players up here we should be looking at include Gallagher, Campbell, Polwarth, Irvine. 

49 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

Oh look.....a happy clapper! 😉

Oh christ another moaning bore following the herd. What's the whine today, too slow, to many passes, not enough crosses, etc etc etc....

The remit this season is to get promotion and get out this league asap..END OF. We're on target to achieve that with games to spare. Is the football great to watch..NO, but it's about points to get the job done.

You can whine all you want in August about whatever the herd are moaning about then, and you know they'll be moaning about something, but until then how about just supporting the team in their quest to get points/promotion however boringly or otherwise they achieve it.

Edited by ADAM

6 minutes ago, ADAM said:

Oh christ another moaning bore following the herd. What's the whine today, too slow, to many passes, not enough crosses, etc etc etc....

The remit this season is to get promotion and get out this league asap..END OF. We're on target to achieve that with games to spare. Is the football great to watch..NO, but it's about points to get the job done.

You can whine all you want in August about whatever the herd are moaning about then, and you know they'll be moaning about something, but until then how about just supporting the team in their quest to get points/promotion however boringly or otherwise they achieve it.

So folk aren't allowed an opinion?

Ignorance is strength, right?

16 minutes ago, ADAM said:

😊👏😊👏😊👏😊👏

10 minutes ago, Boris said:

So folk aren't allowed an opinion?

Ignorance is strength, right?

Yes of course they are. You're also allowed to challenge that opinion and when it's repeated over and over and over endlessly it's legitimate to throw out an accusation of 'boring'.

Edited by ADAM

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

This is the kind of mentality that was used to trash Levein critics : keep dredging up a big result (in his case THAT Celtic game). But it won't wash this time, people are more than fed up with half arsed players and their half arsed attitude to games.

8 clean sheets in 28 (or whatever it is, league games). In the 2nd tier of Scottish football.

Yesterday was pitiful. 

Well said Nano 👍

30 minutes ago, ADAM said:

Yes of course they are. You're also allowed to challenge that opinion and when it's repeated over and over and over endlessly it's legitimate to throw out an accusation of 'boring'.

Tbf, you went further than just "boring".

Following the herd is an interesting phrase you used though.

Suggests a majority, or at least a large minority, view?

6 minutes ago, Boris said:

Nailed him Boris! 👍

kingantti1874

Think you will find our wage bill this season is much lower than last season. Only 9 months until we can verify that comment though. 
much smaller budget usually means much inferior quality of player. 

it will be lower than last season due to the relegation clauses.  But we signed Gordon, GMS.. both out with the reach of any teams outside the current top 4.  We also signed Mceneff for 200k.  Outside the reach of all but the current top 2. Kingsley and Gnando are also beyond the reach of the vast majority.

there are no excuses. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

it will be lower than last season due to the relegation clauses.  But we signed Gordon, GMS.. both out with the reach of any teams outside the current top 4.  We also signed Mceneff for 200k.  Outside the reach of all but the current top 2. Kingsley and Gnando are also beyond the reach of the vast majority.

there are no excuses. 

No excuses for what? 

Being 16 points clear and on for promotion?

What's being excused? 

19 minutes ago, Boris said:

Certainly wasn't meant to indicate a majority or a large minority, quite the reverse actually, it's in reference to the small, but noisy, group who are endlessly negative towards Hearts/Neilson/Budge etc. The same group/names that turn up in almost every thread, you probably knew that though.

You're being a bit forensic it's just a post, he accused me of being a "happy clapper"  I returned the compliment by using the term a "moaning bore".

kingantti1874
8 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

No excuses for what? 

Being 16 points clear and on for promotion?

What's being excused? 

people are defending abject performances becuase we’ve been shopping in the bargain bin - not true. 

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

people are defending abject performances becuase we’ve been shopping in the bargain bin - not true. 

Our pulling power is less than or would have been on the top flight. 

Abject performances - we are 16 points clear at the top and on for promotion? 

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Our pulling power is less than or would have been on the top flight. 

Abject performances - we are 16 points clear at the top and on for promotion? 

Our pulling power is high enough to be signing players who could only be afforded by the current top 4.

yes abject performances. Boring. Slow, lethargic, uninspired. 

Bazzas right boot
35 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Our pulling power is high enough to be signing players who could only be afforded by the current top 4.

yes abject performances. Boring. Slow, lethargic, uninspired. 

Yet top of the league, 16 points clear gd +28 and matched 2 out of the top 3 over 90 and 120.

Strange. 

This is My Story Podcast

Dunfermline 

Dundee

Raith 

Queens 

Caley

Morton

Alloa

Arbroath 

All of the above have beaten or taken points off Hearts this season. Every side in the league bar Ayr United. Alloa had never beaten Hearts in their history, Morton hadnt taken points off Hearts since the 80’s, Raith hadn’t beaten Hearts at tynie since 93, Arbroath hadn’t taken points off Hearts since 1975. We’ve been beat and drawn with the two part time teams in this league and people are arguing that, that doesn’t matter cause we are winning the league regardless 🙃. Add into the mix that last season, we only beat St Mirren, Rangers and Hibs in the top flight. So in 2 season of football watching Hearts, Ayr United are the only side in both divisions that failed to beat us. That’s majorly concerning. 

The number one aim and target this season was to get back to the top flight. We’ve done that and are doing that with room to spare. Is that enough to ignore the worrying traits we’ve seen in our game, the same traits we’ve seen over the course for the past few seasons? Do we just ignore the pointless possession based football with no penetration, the same possession based football that got us nowhere in the top flight? Are we getting results with that dull football due to the fact that the league is so poor? People seem to be holding onto the performances at home to Dundee as some sort of life raft that next season will be different cause we played well against them and they came to tynie and opened up. Ignoring the fact that Raith and Dunfermline also came to tynie and played their own games. Raith won and Dunfermline missed out on the points due to a wonder save from Gordon. Also ignore the games at east end park and Dens that ended in defeats. I think fans have every right to be worried. 

Where I stand. Before everyone jumps on this and slags me as another “get Robbie out” member. I don’t want Robbie sacked. He’s done the job expected of him this season and for that he deserves the summer and next season. Robbie also has a very good record at achieving his goals at hearts. Promotion, Europe, sitting 2nd etx etx. He’s under performed in the cup and derbies. He’s played one derby since coming back and won it, he’s also pen two kicks away from a cup win so it could be argued he’s achieved those targets as well. Tuesday night and the next round against Stranraer should see us into the latter stages of the cup and a favourable draw could see us progress far. My own stand point is that I think it’s unhealthy to ignore performances like Saturday and many others this year. We’ve been in a nasty habit of that for seasons now. It’s not unfair for hearts fans to expect better. This season has been meh and ultimately we’ve done what we needed so Robbie gets pass marks. 

TyphoonJambo
6 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Dunfermline 

Dundee

Raith 

Queens 

Caley

Morton

Alloa

Arbroath 

All of the above have beaten or taken points off Hearts this season. Every side in the league bar Ayr United. Alloa had never beaten Hearts in their history, Morton hadnt taken points off Hearts since the 80’s, Raith hadn’t beaten Hearts at tynie since 93, Arbroath hadn’t taken points off Hearts since 1975. We’ve been beat and drawn with the two part time teams in this league and people are arguing that, that doesn’t matter cause we are winning the league regardless 🙃. Add into the mix that last season, we only beat St Mirren, Rangers and Hibs in the top flight. So in 2 season of football watching Hearts, Ayr United are the only side in both divisions that failed to beat us. That’s majorly concerning. 

The number one aim and target this season was to get back to the top flight. We’ve done that and are doing that with room to spare. Is that enough to ignore the worrying traits we’ve seen in our game, the same traits we’ve seen over the course for the past few seasons? Do we just ignore the pointless possession based football with no penetration, the same possession based football that got us nowhere in the top flight? Are we getting results with that dull football due to the fact that the league is so poor? People seem to be holding onto the performances at home to Dundee as some sort of life raft that next season will be different cause we played well against them and they came to tynie and opened up. Ignoring the fact that Raith and Dunfermline also came to tynie and played their own games. Raith won and Dunfermline missed out on the points due to a wonder save from Gordon. Also ignore the games at east end park and Dens that ended in defeats. I think fans have every right to be worried. 

Where I stand. Before everyone jumps on this and slags me as another “get Robbie out” member. I don’t want Robbie sacked. He’s done the job expected of him this season and for that he deserves the summer and next season. Robbie also has a very good record at achieving his goals at hearts. Promotion, Europe, sitting 2nd etx etx. He’s under performed in the cup and derbies. He’s played one derby since coming back and won it, he’s also pen two kicks away from a cup win so it could be argued he’s achieved those targets as well. Tuesday night and the next round against Stranraer should see us into the latter stages of the cup and a favourable draw could see us progress far. My own stand point is that I think it’s unhealthy to ignore performances like Saturday and many others this year. We’ve been in a nasty habit of that for seasons now. It’s not unfair for hearts fans to expect better. This season has been meh and ultimately we’ve done what we needed so Robbie gets pass marks. 

A lot of good and indisputable points there. Good post.

15 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t know. As I said earlier, I think he could get us top six next season. He’s overly cautious and slow to change tactics that aren’t working. He inherited an absolute mess and I think people are underestimating that. 

Third biggest club in Scotland, therefore anything less than third should be deemed unacceptable every season.

Making top six should not be an ambition imo and this is where the problem lies for me it’s as if we have dropped our level of expectation collectively.

There’s a malaise hanging about us, or it feels like there is, and until there’s a change in attitude & ambition we’ll keep getting what we’re getting. Mediocrity.

1 minute ago, sac said:

Third biggest club in Scotland, therefore anything less than third should be deemed unacceptable every season.

Making top six should not be an ambition imo and this is where the problem lies for me it’s as if we have dropped our level of expectation collectively.

There’s a malaise hanging about us, or it feels like there is, and until there’s a change in attitude & ambition we’ll keep getting what we’re getting. Mediocrity.

I think top 3 or 4 is where we should be but I just don't see it. 

At the start of the season I thought we'd storm this league and build from there. Returning to the top flight motivated and raring to go. We've done well in the league this season but I just can't see us kicking on like last time.

Hopefully lots of work going on in the background but I'd accept top 6 right now. 

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, sac said:

What does ‘unacceptable’ mean though? If we sacked every manager that finished below third we would be generally getting a new manager every one or two seasons. Hibs and Aberdeen are of similar size to us and any difference in financial terms is relatively marginal, compared to that between us and the old firm. There has to be other parameters taken into account than just finishing third, imo. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

What does ‘unacceptable’ mean though? If we sacked every manager that finished below third we would be generally getting a new manager every one or two seasons. Hibs and Aberdeen are of similar size to us and any difference in financial terms is relatively marginal, compared to that between us and the old firm. There has to be other parameters taken into account than just finishing third, imo. 

If it takes a couple of seasons to build up to third or fourth regularly then I can handle that. Third or fourth is the standard that needs to be achieved every season though. It's accepting 6th place finishes two years in a row that got us into this state. It's just not good enough for the fans who support the club. We deserve better.

15 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t know. As I said earlier, I think he could get us top six next season. He’s overly cautious and slow to change tactics that aren’t working. He inherited an absolute mess and I think people are underestimating that. 

To get us into the top six next season he needs to get rid of the like of Damour and Naismith who undoubtedly take up the wages of four players.

He also also needs to get rid of Halkett and Popescu and strenghten a leaky central defence.

You are right about him inheriting an absolute mess and that is still with us and will take time to fix properly.

We have a new SD who people seemed happy about but so far his signings have hardly been inspiring ( I know Robbie will have approved them)

but in many ways we still seem to be going along the Levein route where on paper we sign decent players who turn out to be mediocre at best.

Hopefully if Robbie can continue to revamp his squad he can start getting in the sort of players that are at the club because they want to play for Hearts and not just here to pick up a big pay cheque every month for little or no contribution.

One thing is clear for me in that if the current squad of players remains then we are destined for a quick return to the Championship.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

To get us into the top six next season he needs to get rid of the like of Damour and Naismith who undoubtedly take up the wages of four players.

He also also needs to get rid of Halkett and Popescu and strenghten a leaky central defence.

You are right about him inheriting an absolute mess and that is still with us and will take time to fix properly.

We have a new SD who people seemed happy about but so far his signings have hardly been inspiring ( I know Robbie will have approved them)

but in many ways we still seem to be going along the Levein route where on paper we sign decent players who turn out to be mediocre at best.

Hopefully if Robbie can continue to revamp his squad he can start getting in the sort of players that are at the club because they want to play for Hearts and not just here to pick up a big pay cheque every month for little or no contribution.

One thing is clear for me in that if the current squad of players remains then we are destined for a quick return to the Championship.

Agree, although with the current players I think we could stay up but definitely bottom half. Yet another critical window ahead. Here's hoping we get it right.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Agree, although with the current players I think we could stay up but definitely bottom half. Yet another critical window ahead. Here's hoping we get it right.

I will reserve judgement on where we will finish until I see who else Robbie brings in and also who he gets rid off.

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yet top of the league, 16 points clear gd +28 and matched 2 out of the top 3 over 90 and 120.

Strange. 

it isn’t strange at all. The performances are garbage, the results acceptable. It’s not that hard a concept

Football is supposed to be fun. Hearts aren’t fun. The product is poor

The Modern Leper
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

it isn’t strange at all. The performances are garbage, the results acceptable. It’s not that hard a concept

Again. Do Aberdeen fans find their football ‘fun’? Hibs fans? Dundee Utd fans?

Who in Scotland has found football ‘fun’ this season? Rangers fans. That’s it.

The standard in Scotland is appalling. We’re in the Championship playing against appalling teams who want to park the bus. It’s not conducive to good football.

Winning is what matters. You’re very unlikely to find entertainment whilst watching any team in Scotland.

Perhaps next season teams will have more of a go leaving us more space to play? It won’t be ‘fun’ though I can guarantee that.

People need a reality check, other than the years we chucked millions at it we’ve been by and large awful. Same goes for every other club in Scotland.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Football isn't meant to be fun. 

It's a competitive sport. 

For fun go to a swimming pool  or the zoo. 

Football is meant to be fun, how does that even work?

There are two teams, are they both meant to give the fans fun! 

May one-six
6 minutes ago, The Modern Leper said:

Again. Do Aberdeen fans find their football ‘fun’? Hibs fans? Dundee Utd fans?

Who in Scotland has found football ‘fun’ this season? Rangers fans. That’s it.

The standard in Scotland is appalling. We’re in the Championship playing against appalling teams who want to park the bus. It’s not conducive to good football.

Winning is what matters. You’re very unlikely to find entertainment whilst watching any team in Scotland.

Perhaps next season teams will have more of a go leaving us more space to play? It won’t be ‘fun’ though I can guarantee that.

People need a reality check, other than the years we chucked millions at it we’ve been by and large awful. Same goes for every other club in Scotland.

You're right, but I don't think we're in for much fun next season either. The likes of Hamilton, Ross County, Kilmarnock etc will do exactly the same as they did last season, and the same as almost every team is doing this season - turn up at Tynie and play defensively, looking to frustrate us and hit on the break. It won't be pretty and, unless Robbie finds a way to counteract it, we will be in for many weeks of boredom and frustration.

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, sac said:

A candidate for stupidest post of the week, particularly the first sentence. In fact it’s that mentality that has created mediocrity as we get into an endless cycle of an overblown sense of entitlement and a complete absence of any concept of building a team over time.

1 minute ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

A candidate for stupidest post of the week, particularly the first sentence. In fact it’s that mentality that has created mediocrity as we get into an endless cycle of an overblown sense of entitlement and a complete absence of any concept of building a team over time.

No it’s not. It’s poor signings and poor coaches who have caused the problem. 3rd or 4th is just getting what we’ve paid for. I’m not going to expect it next season but the season after I do and I expect us to stay at that level or be looking for a new manager. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

No it’s not. It’s poor signings and poor coaches who have caused the problem. 3rd or 4th is just getting what we’ve paid for. I’m not going to expect it next season but the season after I do and I expect us to stay at that level or be looking for a new manager. 

All fair. 

Hagar the Horrible

For me our treatment deserved a response, we should have pounded all those team that did us wrong for 90 mins, Hearts have had a MEH attitude, we are over it, the Championship is just one large pre-season kick about.  The last time perhaps because of having Rangers and Hibs in the league and fans that really got behind the club, we won it the correct way…then came the but.  After we won the league the Falkirk game at home was a seismic shift in tactical design, we went full defensive mode,  get a goal and desperately hold onto it with gritted teeth, but when we went behind we had no way back into the game, that is how we have played since then, Stendel had a different approach but CL and RN coached any positivity out of them.  We could get the best 10 out field players from Man City and still it would be eye bleeding as the mantra is keep the ball, don’t get it wide with your wingers and cross the ball to your 2 huge strikers as we could lose the ball, instead when the ball is wide we must bring it back and switch sides and work the ball to the other side to get the ball where we can deliver a cross, but guess what?  We have to work it backwords. Keeping the ball is the directive NOT putting the ball into the net.  We have lost goals as we endlessly play and pass around the box, it drags our backline into the attack, and when we lose the ball we are hit on the break.  Get the ball wide and cross it in early, late, who cares, just cross the bleeding ball and if we lose it we win it back.

We have strikers with no service and wingers not allowed to take players on and cross the ball. Robbie has to change, change fast, as we won’t celebrate winning this league, that would be embarrassing.  We are hopeless on the road and it’s no longer Fortress Tynie.  He has lost the fans belief that all we can expect is avoid relegation, that’s our aim.  We have won this joke league, we need to use the remaining games to promote a style and improve performance

26 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You were on a thread last month going on about how exciting the Hearts games were. 

:lol: 

26 minutes ago, May one-six said:

You're right, but I don't think we're in for much fun next season either. The likes of Hamilton, Ross County, Kilmarnock etc will do exactly the same as they did last season, and the same as almost every team is doing this season - turn up at Tynie and play defensively, looking to frustrate us and hit on the break. It won't be pretty and, unless Robbie finds a way to counteract it, we will be in for many weeks of boredom and frustration.

And many losses as we are currently clueless!

16 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Need a wee bit clarification, how many years/ transfer windows/ players does your concept include?

Bad Religion
1 minute ago, Jambo61 said:

Need a wee bit clarification, how many years/ transfer windows/ players does your concept include?

We build two new teams every season.

kingantti1874
57 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

so you aren’t meant to enjoy watching football? That’s a new one. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
15 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's what I never understood with all the excitement over Stendel's tactic. Counter-pressing is all very well is your opposition are likely to commit at least three or four players forward. Our opposition, especially at Tynie, are likely to hoof it directly it to their lone striker and hope for a break to a running midfielder. But you're right, coaches need to look at how break these teams down effectively. We haven't really done it consistently or well since Neilson Mk1. 

If you press well then even in those circumstances you can strangle the opposition because the chances of them getting quality possession is slim. I don’t know if Stendel would have been a success with his own team but I’d have liked to have seen him try.

The pressing under Neilson is so feeble that I’m not convinced we even practice it, or not properly. The world of tactics seems to have left Robbie behind completely 

41 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

After we won the league the Falkirk game at home was a seismic shift in tactical design, we went full defensive mode,  get a goal and desperately hold onto it with gritted teeth, but when we went behind we had no way back into the game, that is how we have played since then

We hadn't won the league by the Falkirk game at home.  And following that defeat we won 4-1, 3-2, 1-0, 2-1, 10-0, 4-0, and so on.  So basically the complete opposite of what you wrote.

• davemclaren changed the title to Won the Championship by 12 Points (title updated)