• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• JudyJudyJudy

• Nucky Thompson

• Shanks said no

2 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Dont watch it then. If it upsets you.

I have never seen a royal funeral before, apart from Diana, watching out of curiosity, a slap in the face to those who have passed in the last year and their families

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 minutes ago, lou said:

I have never seen a royal funeral before, apart from Diana, watching out of curiosity, a slap in the face to those who have passed in the last year and their families

Is it? It isn't a Covid funeral and it is a lot more respectful of rules than the bloody Bobby Storey funeral was.

10 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Is it? It isn't a Covid funeral and it is a lot more respectful of rules than the bloody Bobby Storey funeral was.

Why would it be different if it was a Covid funeral? My point is this would not be allowed for Joe public at the moment, It should be a private family funeral 

McGlynn The Money
16 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

:cornette_dog:

What the **** has the Bobby Storey funeral got to do with anything?

Geoff Kilpatrick
5 minutes ago, lou said:

Why would it be different if it was a Covid funeral? My point is this would not be allowed for Joe public at the moment, It should be a private family funeral 

It's very different. My aunt died of Covid at Christmas. For her funeral, the coffin was sealed, no one was allowed to touch it other than the funeral directors and it was placed in the grave and not lowered. My Dad said you would treat a dog better.

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, McGlynn The Money said:

:cornette_dog:

What the **** has the Bobby Storey funeral got to do with anything?

Because a comparison was being drawn to funerals during the pandemic. The point being that I think the royals, irrespective of what you think of them, have stuck to the funeral rules pretty well, despite all the demands of pomp and circumstance.

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

It's very different. My aunt died of Covid at Christmas. For her funeral, the coffin was sealed, no one was allowed to touch it other than the funeral directors and it was placed in the grave and not lowered. My Dad said you would treat a dog better.

No mother in law died, not of Covid and it was exactly the same, nobody has the send off they deserved, I today felt very sorry for the queen as I would any woman who had lost her partner of so many years and the fact she had to sit on her own as my father in law had to, it's awful, but I do think this whole spectacle has been over the top in the current circumstances, especially as it was claimed to be low key

Geoff Kilpatrick
Just now, lou said:

No mother in law died, not of Covid and it was exactly the same, nobody has the send off they deserved, I today felt very sorry for the queen as I would any woman who had lost her partner of so many years and the fact she had to sit on her own as my father in law had to, it's awful, but I do think this whole spectacle has been over the top in the current circumstances, especially as it was claimed to be low key

Neither my aunt or your mother-in-law had a world media circus watching every move though. 

McGlynn The Money
1 minute ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Because a comparison was being drawn to funerals during the pandemic. The point being that I think the royals, irrespective of what you think of them, have stuck to the funeral rules pretty well, despite all the demands of pomp and circumstance.

I'm sure there have been a lot of funerals that haven't met the rules. Just seems odd to bring up one of an ex IRA/Sinn Fein man who a lot of folk on here won't even have heard of and died nearly a year ago.

We're constantly told how wonderful the Royals are and what a great example they set. Only a select few bampots would think Bobby Storey set a great example on anything.

2 minutes ago, McGlynn The Money said:

I'm sure there have been a lot of funerals that haven't met the rules. Just seems odd to bring up one of an ex IRA/Sinn Fein man who a lot of folk on here won't even have heard of and died nearly a year ago.

We're constantly told how wonderful the Royals are and what a great example they set. Only a select few bampots would think Bobby Storey set a great example on anything.

I had never heard of him, had to google him

Geoff Kilpatrick
1 minute ago, McGlynn The Money said:

The reason I brought it up is that it is pretty raw. As I mentioned above, my Dad had to bury my aunt under those horrendous Covid rules and Irish funerals, Protestant or Catholic, are a very big deal in traditions and culture. To see the Shinners take the piss with that and get away with it sticks in the craw.

44 minutes ago, Cade said:

Not seeing many masks there.

I look forward to the fines being handed out.

They are all 2 metres apart and outside

5 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Neither my aunt or your mother-in-law had a world media circus watching every move though. 

And there was no requirement for that on this occasion, he wanted a simple funeral, it could have been completely private without the pompousness

The Hogfather
Just now, lou said:

And there was no requirement for that on this occasion, he wanted a simple funeral, it could have been completely private without the pompousness

While absolutely none of us have any insight into what the Duke of Edinburgh wanted, I believe he didn't want a state funeral, which would be a completely different matter.

3 minutes ago, lou said:

That today was his idea of a simple funeral. 

47 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Going rather well., brilliant organisation.

45 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

The British do these things rather well 

The military precision was excellent.  The lads made it look easy, and it isn't.

18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

That today was his idea of a simple funeral. 

My mates in tears cause a royal has died and its a tradition dating back 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of years 😑 shes in a paddy with me now because I dont agree with the royals. Never even got to tackle the length of time the monarchy has been in place 😞

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, sadj said:

My mates in tears cause a royal has died and its a tradition dating back 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of years 😑 shes in a paddy with me now because I dont agree with the royals. Never even got to tackle the length of time the monarchy has been in place 😞

:rofl:

Seymour M Hersh

That was a beautiful ceremony for a man who did so much to inspire young people and who was clearly besotted and in love with his Queen.  

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

The British do these things rather well 

In the words of the song, "Nobody does it better". A great send off to someone who was respected the world over, transcending all creeds, nationalities and faiths. 

Enzo Chiefo
5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

That was a beautiful ceremony for a man who did so much to inspire young people and who was clearly besotted and in love with his Queen.  

Well said.

J.T.F.Robertson
4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Not so sure about the rest, but do agree with your first few words.

John Findlay

That was a simple funeral for a senior royal.

HMQ, will be 96 on Wednesday April 21st her actual birthday. The second Saturday in June being her official birthday( when trooping the colour normally takes place), which could coincide with the Duke of Edinburgh's actual birthday which was June the 10th.

They will be praying, hoping and having everything crossed that the Queen does not die this year, as she will be having a state funeral. The last state funeral was in very late August 1979, for Lord Louis Mountbatten who was murdered by the IRA. The last state funeral before that was for Sir Winston Churchill in January 1965. The gun carriage which is used for state funerals is kept at Hms Excellent, Whale Island Portsmouth, and is pulled by the Royal Navy, a tradition that started at the funeral of Queen Victoria, when the horses bolted from her funeral carriage at Windsor station and a young naval officer got the Naval ratings there to pull her funeral carriage instead of the horses. It takes 120 naval ratings to pull the gun carriage. 75 at the front and 45 at the rear.

There useful/useless information for you all.

Peakybunnet

I am not a royalist but watched the funeral inbetween horse races. 

No other country in the world can do pageantry with the colour and discipline of the British forces.

I loved the sound of the piper fading away as he walked out of the Chapel. 

The military never forget. When my dad died his old regiment association (RSDG) came along with a piper outside the crematorium. 

J.T.F.Robertson
8 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

In the words of the song, "Nobody does it better". A great send off to someone who was respected the world over, transcending all creeds, nationalities and faiths. 

Great minds, or maybe the other one. :(

Seymour M Hersh
7 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Will there be participation medals handed out for attending the funeral as well?

I'm sure there is a forum somewhere that will appreciate your garbage. You should go to it.

My wife and I both agreed, cremation and no funeral service, our son has been mandated to take our remains back to Edinburgh and like I did with my father take our remains to the Park and deposit us under the Crags so we can look at the place where we started our long journey of success and happiness. No services and no tears, just dump us and run.

13 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I'm sure there is a forum somewhere that will appreciate your garbage. You should go to it.

Its right here your Highness.

:gok:

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Der Kaiser said:

Its right here your Highness.

:gok:

One day you might be looking for respect from those younger than you. I hope you'll think back to this moment when you don't receive any. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

One day you might be looking for respect from those younger than you. I hope you'll think back to this moment when you don't receive any. 

Pretty sure I won't.

No wait...I'm very sure.

JudyJudyJudy
18 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

My wife and I both agreed, cremation and no funeral service, our son has been mandated to take our remains back to Edinburgh and like I did with my father take our remains to the Park and deposit us under the Crags so we can look at the place where we started our long journey of success and happiness. No services and no tears, just dump us and run.

That sounds like a good plan. Plain and simple. 

3 hours ago, Tazio said:

I just switched over to the coverage out of a sense of curiosity. 
So much for a simple funeral. I thought they were just driving him to the church in the Land Rover and dropping him off for a hymn or two. Bloody loads of pageantry and shiny hats in attendance. 

Is it now safe to turn the telly on ? 

2 hours ago, lou said:

If this is low key, can you imagine when the queen dies? and surely that 30 must include the singers and military, makes a mockery of the people who have had lockdown funerals

Ill be leaving the country for  a few weeks when that happens. The overkill from the media will be in full throttle. 

2 hours ago, lou said:

It was definitely a diet Royal funeral...but still a lot of people milling about dressed in all manner of odd costumes etc.  I believe its called pageantry ?  Did Edward have his medals on his jacket or indeed Andrew?  He must he loving the possible redemption from this. An absolute ^^^^ of a man. 

Auldbenches
14 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Are you actually looking to getting respect from the young?  Why?  

The Hogfather
57 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Will there be participation medals handed out for attending the funeral as well?

Pure edgy mate.

Never watched it but caught a bit on the news just now. I quite like the way the Brits do pageantry, it's been the ridiculous overkill by the media that has got my goat. And I suppose this was best highlighted by itv news finishing the highlights of one old guys funeral by saying "and in other news, 3 million have now died from Covid 19"

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

Are you actually looking to getting respect from the young?  Why?  

A moment of weakness from me. 

An established journalist here wrote a very disparaging article about him.  Gallant sailor in a horrific war didn't seem to count much for her let alone anything else he did.  I hope she will reflect on such a stark lack of charity for someone who has passed away.

Rest in peace Sir.

The Hogfather
5 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Anyone been watching?

How was the first half? Any shots on target?

32 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

It was a genuine question...........

Lol, edgy banter.

Auldbenches
33 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Never watched it but caught a bit on the news just now. I quite like the way the Brits do pageantry, it's been the ridiculous overkill by the media that has got my goat. And I suppose this was best highlighted by itv news finishing the highlights of one old guys funeral by saying "and in other news, 3 million have now died from Covid 19"

Don't usually go for the Scottish Kringe but BBC radio Scotland at the end of their report shoe horned that the flowers if the forest was played in the chapel by a lone piper...

Got to get the Scottish angle in there. 

Just now, Auldbenches said:

Don't usually go for the Scottish Kringe but BBC radio Scotland at the end of their report shoe horned that the flowers if the forest was played in the chapel by a lone piper...

Got to get the Scottish angle in there. 

He also had the flag of Edinburgh as part of the larger flag round his coffin...it's was part of his personal flag

John Findlay
4 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

He also had the flag of Edinburgh as part of the larger flag round his coffin...it's was part of his personal flag

It was his Royal standard as Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh.

Charles has one as well as the Prince of Wales.

Of course there is the Royal Standard for the Reigning monarch.

Auldbenches
17 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

It was the last thing in the report and did just sound like getting the Scottish angle in there.