Prince Philip

Sooperstar

Das Viertel Hearts
22 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The thing is, the Royal family aren't exclusively English no matter what the Nats think.

Princess Anne, the patron of Scottish rugby, sings flower of Scotland with passion.

BritNats?    

Looks like your taking it extremely hard and have had a tough couple of days indeed. 

Dck.jfif

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• JudyJudyJudy

• Nucky Thompson

• Shanks said no

Governor Tarkin
6 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

An embarrassment to the entire country. If they don't like living here they should p**s off elsewhere 

These ****s don't live in any sense that we'd understand it, Enzo, they merely exist.

I'd ship them out to a sandbar in the English Channel at low tide and wait for the springs to roll in.

It’s quite clear that any tears shed for a bigoted, privileged and somewhat questionable old man belonging to a centuries old (and disgusting) family, are from the wannabe Sevco fans who have no place in our club.

There are decent people on this board (some of whom have genuinely helped me out, and are genuinely great people) but it’s somewhat infested with Sevco wannabes. Anyone from a working class background supporting a monarchy, doesn’t know history frankly.

Edited by Tynieman

McGlynn The Money
7 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Mhanks let off fireworks outside Parkhead to disrupt the minutes silence :vrface:

Only in backward Scotland

Not as backward as having to crawl to and hero worship that family of parasites.

Cairneyhill Jambo
8 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Mhanks let off fireworks outside Parkhead to disrupt the minutes silence :vrface:

Only in backward Scotland

So a dozen fans set of fireworks and suddenly Scotland is a backward country? What a sensitive wee soul. Does your mum still breastfeed you? 

Edited by Cairneyhill Jambo

21 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Anyway, I just think back to how I felt when my Da died and my wee Maw. (And it still hurts) 

I'm no monarchist, Fozzy, but Phillip was someone's Dad, Grandad and so on, and it matters not a jot what they are, it's shite for them, the same way as it's shite for the rest of us. 

Well said,and you're spot on.

When all is said and done, someone has died and his family is grieving.  We, and I include myself, should put our feelings about the man to one side, at least for a few days.

I am the first to totally agree that British Royalty is a thing of the past. Massive homes, expensive trappings, archaic practises of bowing and scraping. Privilege, personal wealth, which was earned but only done in a pampered society, and travel in luxury. That said democracy has taken a bit of a shit kicking over the years, it seems whomever is in charge whether by birth, election or revolution, it seems that the one common factor is that the average member of the public pays, suffers inadequacies, and make their own life and success.  

We have invaded space, created the atom bomb, done organ transplants, things that required absolute genius have been created and solved, yet we cannot with all that intelligence come up universally with a fair equitable and just system of rule So get rid of the Royals thats fine, but don't hold your breath waiting for change.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

So a dozen fans set of fireworks and suddenly Scotland is a backward country?

There's nothing sudden about it. It's been backward for years.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

There's nothing sudden about it. It's been backward for years.

Just like the rest of the world. I hoped a crisis like covid may have helped fix it but it will probably make it worse. 

I assume the people getting upset about the noise during the silence for a non footballing man were also raging at the noise during the silence we had for the pope in the SC semi a few years back. 

doctor jambo
7 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Not as backward as having to crawl to and hero worship that family of parasites.

You don’t have to respect them, however the minimum standard is that you don’t do to great lengths to disrespect them.

After one of them died.

An old man died and some people are upset.

So other “human beings “ decide to rub their faces in it.

Riddley Walker

Anyone who intentionally aligns their politics with their football team is an idiot who is not worth listening to. 

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, Tynieman said:

It’s quite clear that any tears shed for a bigoted, privileged and somewhat questionable old man belonging to a centuries old (and disgusting) family, are from the wannabe Sevco fans who have no place in our club.

There are decent people on this board (some of whom have genuinely helped me out, and are genuinely great people) but it’s somewhat infested with Sevco wannabes. Anyone from a working class background supporting a monarchy, doesn’t know history frankly.

Fair comment.

Nucky Thompson
7 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

So a dozen fans set of fireworks and suddenly Scotland is a backward country? What a sensitive wee soul. Does your mum still breastfeed you? 

:lol:

Have a look west and tell me Scotland isn't a backward country.

McGlynn The Money
44 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

You don’t have to respect them, however the minimum standard is that you don’t do to great lengths to disrespect them.

After one of them died.

An old man died and some people are upset.

So other “human beings “ decide to rub their faces in it.

I think they're having their faces rubbed in it even more by the 24 hour news coverage over the last few days. Instead of just getting to grieve peacefully there are constant reminders everywhere. Even electronic billboards up and down the land are full of images of Prince Philip.

I have no time for the Royals but bore the man himself no ill will, however, the outpouring of false grief and bullshit since the news broke has been nauseating. No wonder people feel the need to react against it.

2 hours ago, Sarah O said:

I assume the people getting upset about the noise during the silence for a non footballing man were also raging at the noise during the silence we had for the pope in the SC semi a few years back. 

The Pope has nothing to do with the UK in fairness

Nucky Thompson
9 hours ago, Tynieman said:

What a load of political guff.

Anyone showing a bit of compassion for a 99 year old who has died is a Rangers fan :vrface:

I bet you think it was a Rangers fan who designed the Union flag and it exclusively belongs to them.

I'm surprised anybody has helped you out with an attitude like that.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Edward will be the new Duke.

Isn't he supposed to be moving into Holyrood anyway?

2 hours ago, Sarah O said:

While I'd agree both are idiotic, at least Hearts fans at the SC were there to watch a game of football, and anything which transpired incidental. Those yesterday travelled to the football ground knowing they wouldn't be getting in, taking fireworks with them, with the sole intention of disrupting the silence. That to me is a whole different level of bammery.

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

While I'd agree both are idiotic, at least Hearts fans at the SC were there to watch a game of football, and anything which transpired incidental. Those yesterday travelled to the football ground knowing they wouldn't be getting in, taking fireworks with them, with the sole intention of disrupting the silence. That to me is a whole different level of bammery.

The booing was about having a minutes silence 2 weeks after the pope's death, so one group of bigoted fans could show their respects.

37 minutes ago, inspector said:

So is a new Duke of Edinburgh appointed? Can anybody apply?

Prince Charles automatically became the Duke of Edinburgh upon the death of Prince Philip.

Edited by Sooperstar

2 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Prince Charles automatically became the Duke of Edinburgh upon the death of Prince Philip.

Nope.  Edward.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Nope.  Edward.

Nope, Charles. When Charles becomes King the title merges with the crown and a new Duke of Edinburgh is created, which will be Edward. We are currently on the 3rd creation of the Duke of Edinburgh, with Charles being the 2nd recipient of said creation.

30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

The booing was about having a minutes silence 2 weeks after the pope's death, so one group of bigoted fans could show their respects.

So if the games are postponed next week, you'd be fine with Celtic fans booing the minute's silence since it'd be 2 weeks after his death?

FWIW I couldn't care about either minute silences.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, kila said:

So if the games are postponed next week, you'd be fine with Celtic fans booing the minute's silence since it'd be 2 weeks after his death?

FWIW I couldn't care about either minute silences.

Absolutely. If we were playing Rangers and they decided to have a minutes silence after he was buried just to appease the Rangers support, I would boo the decision myself

12 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Nope, Charles. When Charles becomes King the title merges with the crown and a new Duke of Edinburgh is created, which will be Edward. We are currently on the 3rd creation of the Duke of Edinburgh, with Charles being the 2nd recipient of said creation.

Apologies.  I had seen the bit about Edward being the duke but had not realised it was after Charles succeeded to monarch.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Apologies.  I had seen the bit about Edward being the duke but had not realised it was after Charles succeeded to monarch.

I saw someone mention it on Twitter the other day so I read about it. All a bit confusing and pointless really.

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

That's my birthday overshadowed next Saturday 🤣

Thoughts and prayers.

1 hour ago, inspector said:

So is a new Duke of Edinburgh appointed? Can anybody apply?

As the current Duke of Penicuik I will respectfully abstain from the selection process.

(Albeit my title is self proclaimed and worth incredibly little)

7 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

As the current Duke of Penicuik I will respectfully abstain from the selection process.

(Albeit my title is self proclaimed and worth incredibly little)

The Baronet of Penicuik isn't too happy and wants a square go. Meet him at the skate park at dawn.

JudyJudyJudy
20 hours ago, Costanza said:

I'm anti monarchy because I think it's elitist, exclusive and completely out of place in a modern democracy.

It's got hee haw to do with Irish politics and a subset of Hibs and Celtic fans don't have exclusivity on  anti monarchy views.

I didn't say you should support Rangers if you are anti independent. I just find it contradictory that you can say being anti monarchy is Celtic or Hibs behaviour.

What's also depressing is how any political views are aligned to one of the OF. We should leave them to that nonsense. 

11 hours ago, Tynieman said:

10 hours ago, Cairneyhill Jambo said:

LOL anything to slate Celtic really.  Big deal. We knew that some people may respond like this we also knew there would be some toffs standing outside Buck Palace crying. Yes grown men crying for a man they didnt even know. Talk about deferment 

4 hours ago, Sarah O said:

Yes that was disgusting. Usual bunch of suspects though. 

38 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Surely your friends and family would ensure it isnt overshadowed.  Why would it be ? I dont understand . 

John Findlay
16 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Surely your friends and family would ensure it isnt overshadowed.  Why would it be ? I dont understand . 

James it was a joke.

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

James it was a joke.

a " joke" ? whats that? 

JudyJudyJudy

and this scum bag has the brass neck to use his dads death to curry favour with the British public. He should be in the USA talking sorry getting interrogated about his creepy criminal activities. arrrrrrhhhghhh 

https://news.sky.com/story/queen-described-loss-of-husband-philip-as-a-huge-void-says-prince-andrew-12272410?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

and this scum bag has the brass neck to use his dads death to curry favour with the British public. He should be in the USA talking sorry getting interrogated about his creepy criminal activities. arrrrrrhhhghhh 

https://news.sky.com/story/queen-described-loss-of-husband-philip-as-a-huge-void-says-prince-andrew-12272410?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

He’s an asrehole.

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Agreed. He should be locked up in the Tower of London. 

He shouldn't be allowed to talk publicly, even about his own father

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Agreed. He should be locked up in the Tower of London. 

He shouldn't be allowed to talk publicly, even about his own father

I know it’s just a cynical move from his PR machine . He will milk his dads death for all it’s worth . Utter scum 

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Don't you believe it, John.  Nothing will overshadow that.  :cheers:

jack D and coke
21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I know it’s just a cynical move from his PR machine . He will milk his dads death for all it’s worth . Utter scum 

Who thought it was a good move to let Andrew talk? Hilarious PR :lol:

3 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

You definitely know more about this than me, but are you sure on that point?

In my vague thinking, the title of Duke of Edinburgh is appointed, not hereditary, so when Philip died the title is then vacant, and will remain vacant until the monarch appoints someone else.

Similarly, when if/when Charles becomes King, the title of Prince of Wales becomes vacant until the new Monarch appoints William.

I don't pay much attention to this medieval stuff, but that is how I thought it worked.

Whilst I personally think the Royal family is horrifically outdated and there's no place for them anymore, whilst they are still the monarchy in this country it's inevitable and correct for there to be a silence this weekend at games in respect to Prince Philip.

The pope had nothing to do with the UK or football and isn't comparable in the slightest.

13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The pope had nothing to do with the UK or football and isn't comparable in the slightest.

The Pope has everything to do with catholics in the uk but we didn’t need a minutes silence.

I wonder if we would have had one if just say the semi was against Dunfermline.🤔

Shanks said no
36 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

In my vague thinking, the title of Duke of Edinburgh is appointed, not hereditary, so when Philip died the title is then vacant, and will remain vacant until the monarch appoints someone else.

Similarly, when if/when Charles becomes King, the title of Prince of Wales becomes vacant until the new Monarch appoints William.

I don't pay much attention to this medieval stuff, but that is how I thought it worked.

According to the Daily Telegraph

The title of the Duke of Edinburgh will eventually be inherited by Prince Philip’s youngest son, Prince Edward.

Under plans first announced in 1999, Edward will succeed his father in the Dukedom with the blessing of Prince Philip and the Queen.

Why will Prince Edward inherit the title?

When Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones married in 1999, they were given the titles the Earl and Countess of Wessex, but Buckingham Palace also announced that Edward would eventually one day succeed his father as the Duke of Edinburgh.

In keeping with the Letters Patent issued - when George VI gave Philip the title in 1947 - the Prince of Wales, as the duke's eldest son, inherits the title the Duke of Edinburgh, but on Charles's eventual accession to the throne, the title will merge with the crown and can be regranted anew to Edward.  

George VI also gave Philip the titles of Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich in the Peerage of the United Kingdom shortly before his marriage to Princess Elizabeth on November 20 1947.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns
Charles is already the Duke of Rothesay

57 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Ive heard it will be Prince Edward. Can’t remember where I heard or read it off the top of my head. 

Edited by Boy Daniel
Just read the post above mine😁

27 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

According to the Daily Telegraph

The title of the Duke of Edinburgh will eventually be inherited by Prince Philip’s youngest son, Prince Edward.

Under plans first announced in 1999, Edward will succeed his father in the Dukedom with the blessing of Prince Philip and the Queen.

Why will Prince Edward inherit the title?

When Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones married in 1999, they were given the titles the Earl and Countess of Wessex, but Buckingham Palace also announced that Edward would eventually one day succeed his father as the Duke of Edinburgh.

In keeping with the Letters Patent issued - when George VI gave Philip the title in 1947 - the Prince of Wales, as the duke's eldest son, inherits the title the Duke of Edinburgh, but on Charles's eventual accession to the throne, the title will merge with the crown and can be regranted anew to Edward.  

George VI also gave Philip the titles of Earl of Merioneth and Baron Greenwich in the Peerage of the United Kingdom shortly before his marriage to Princess Elizabeth on November 20 1947.

Thanks for the clarification.

It all seems very archaic.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Whilst I personally think the Royal family is horrifically outdated and there's no place for them anymore, whilst they are still the monarchy in this country it's inevitable and correct for there to be a silence this weekend at games in respect to Prince Philip.

The Pope is the supreme pontiff so he represents all Catholics so that includes all of them in the U.K.