*** Offishul match thread : Hearts v Morton ***

Bunny Munro

34 minutes ago, Barack said:

Hearts just had 1 point, on Pointless.

We'll take 3 here.

Shock!  Rangers ST holder names the Pope as question answer.   Will not go down well in his lodge.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• davemclaren

Bazzas right boot
39 minutes ago, Barack said:

We'll take 3 here.

Boo

Robbie oot, we should be taking all 3 at this level. 

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, Barack said:

English or Scottish teams with an L in their name.

Bonus points for Pointless using our full name. 

32 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Halliday and Irving to sit on their arse for a while 

Should be, but would surprised to see the two of them dropped from the starting eleven tbh. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Haring and McEneff or a three with one holding or...

I think we have got too hung up on width in truth having been so narrow for so long.

Big Leeds follower, they use their wings differently. Far more movement and use decent full backs,  something that is missing and shouldn't be. 

Kingsley and Smith are very good players for the level above let alone this one, they should be bombing on creating overlaps on inside and out,  your sitter then protects effectively a back 3 depending on which side you are attacking from 

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

So your numerous changes are, in fact, two changes...if I’m remembering Friday’s starting line up correctly?

2 unforced changes though Dave.  We just can't sail a steady ship.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
5 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Should be, but would surprised to see the two of them dropped from the starting eleven tbh. 

Gordon 

Popescu        Halkett 

Smith                                   Kingsley                         Haring 

Mcen         eff

GMS                    Naismith 

Boyce Gnandos 

Wish I could stick in a few arrows. Bar Gnandos should be a lot more movement. 

Its not the side to side or lack of pace, its a lack of movement 

17 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I think we have got too hung up on width in truth having been so narrow for so long.

Big Leeds follower, they use their wings differently. Far more movement and use decent full backs,  something that is missing and shouldn't be. 

Kingsley and Smith are very good players for the level above let alone this one, they should be bombing on creating overlaps on inside and out,  your sitter then protects effectively a back 3 depending on which side you are attacking from 

Interesting. Certainly sounds better than what’s been happening the last few games. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Interesting. Certainly sounds better than what’s been happening the last few games. 

Sheffield United got promoted going a step further, overlapping centre backs. 

Kind of thing we should be trying just a bit of imagination rather than straight forward wingers trying to hit the line 

4 hours ago, Jim Panzee said:

I think we should all predict turgid 1-0 wins or exasperating 1-1 draws in the hope the players decided to annoy us by trouncing Morton 8-0

We can but hope

If we put in a good performance we will win it by 3 or 4 easy but if we don’t it could be anther frustrating 90 mins for us, here’s hoping it’s not the latter. 

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Another turd fixture. **** this league 

That’s the way. Keep the optimism up. 😄 i agree though that the sooner we are put this league the better. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

That’s the way. Keep the optimism up. 😄 i agree though that the sooner we are put this league the better. 

Cmon David, even you cannae be getting a rager over a clash with Morton

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Cmon David, even you cannae be getting a rager over a clash with Morton

I remember many an exciting clash with Morton in days of yore. 😄

Aa long as we pick up 3 points I’ll be happy. 

7 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I remember many an exciting clash with Morton in days of yore. 😄

Aa long as we pick up 3 points I’ll be happy. 

Sandy Clark’s debut springs to mind

3 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Sandy Clark’s debut springs to mind

I fondly remember a 3-0 league cup home win under the floodlights in 1977. 

3 hours ago, Barack said:

We'll take 3 here.

Jeez ex pres , sir , you watch that schit ?  Same time as Funtime chase, I can’t even watch pointless during the ads🤮

Diadora Van Basten

Need to play 4-1-4-1 to counter the problem of teams playing 4-5-1 against us.

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley 

Irving

Henderson Walker Naismith Mackay-Stevens

Boyce

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Hard fought 1-1 draw.

What reason have they given us to expect anything better?

We beat them last time 2-0 and have more than double thier points tally, plenty reason to think Morton are gonna get messed. 

2 hours ago, One five said:

If we put in a good performance we will win it by 3 or 4 easy but if we don’t it could be anther frustrating 90 mins for us, here’s hoping it’s not the latter. 

Who knows.  That's the issue.

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

We beat them last time 2-0 and have more than double thier points tally, plenty reason to think Morton are gonna get messed. 

You would think so but we just seem to disappoint so often.

Make no mistake, I want us to come out firing on all cylinders and thrash them.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
6 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Hard fought 1-1 draw.

What reason have they given us to expect anything better?

The fact that we are 13 points clear at the top of the league?  The fact that are our home form is almost perfect?

I'm sure there's plenty more reasons to expect more than a 1-1 draw at home to Greenock Morton.

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

You would think so but we just seem to disappoint so often.

Make no mistake, I want us to come out firing on all cylinders and thrash them.

Fair doos, I think we've delivered more often than not this season, Alloa being the exception. Raith at home being the other notable defeat. 

Samuel Camazzola
10 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Need to play 4-1-4-1 to counter the problem of teams playing 4-5-1 against us.

Gordon

Smith Halkett Berra Kingsley 

Irving

Henderson Walker Naismith Mackay-Stevens

Boyce

giphy.gif&ehk=84rBNWp2N3UM53nkVsdHx9vxYp

Diadora Van Basten
Just now, Samuel Camazzola said:

giphy.gif&ehk=84rBNWp2N3UM53nkVsdHx9vxYp

We have no competent right midfielders so playing Henderson out of position is our only option.

Malinga the Swinga
13 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Sheffield United got promoted going a step further, overlapping centre backs. 

Kind of thing we should be trying just a bit of imagination rather than straight forward wingers trying to hit the line 

They are going down using the same system. 

10 hours ago, norrie1952 said:

2 3 win at cappielaw 73 .must be a few of us still about. 

That the one where Donald Ford scored a hat trick of penalties.

17 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

That's the team I would start with, but noticed on the training video on the Souttar thread there was no sign of Gnando,so guessing he might, at best be on the bench.

Would quite like to see Naismith start right up top with Boyce if that is the case and see how that works.

Just waiting for the “Gnando needs an op” bombshell.....🙈

17 minutes ago, Deevers said:

That the one where Donald Ford scored a hat trick of penalties.

I was there! 👍

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Fair doos, I think we've delivered more often than not this season, Alloa being the exception. Raith at home being the other notable defeat. 

Did we deliver at Dunfermline, Dundee and QoS......🤔

I'm actually not bothered too much who plays or what formation but FFS cut out the backwards sideways tippy tappy rubbish. Would like to be able to drink more and shout less at the telly🤣

18 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I'd like to see us play 4-3-3 with 3 forwards. 

Probably go,

Gordon

Smith Popescu Halkett Kingsley 

McEneff Haring Halliday  

Kastaneer Boyce Naismith 

Aye looks good, 2-0 hearts..

A_A wehatethehibs
9 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Harsh on walker and I aint his biggest fan!!

Kastaneer RM, GMS at LM with McEneff-Halliday at CM and Gnando-Boyce up front. Play all the January signings, 4-4-2. Couldn’t give a toss if it’s “harsh” on Walker he was ineffectual in the last game and since he apparently no longer has the legs to play at LM, there is no place for him in a 4-4-2. Fed up watching him vanish in this 4-2-3-1 setup. 

And if Gnanduillet is not fit, play Naismith there up front as an out and out striker. If he can’t fulfil that role, what use is he? What, play him at Center mid? Naismith needs to learn to just sit in the box and finish. Could have some of the best years of his career ahead of him if he just stopped the headless chicken pish and just sat on the penalty spot for 90 mins as he is deadly taking quick touch -> bang, in the box.

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

I think the defence picks itself, stick with a back 4. Then have Halliday holding, he's been better then Irving the last few weeks and I think he Irving needs a break. Keep playing GMS he needs game time and confidence, Walker on the other wing with McEneff in the middle of a diamond and Naisy just in front supporting Boyce. This means Smith and Kingsley can get forward more as I don't think they've been getting forward as much. 

Gordon

Smith  Pooescu   Halkett   Kingsley

Halliday 

GMS.    McEneff.    Walker

Naismith 

Boyce

Subs: Stewart, Berra, White, Haring, Irving, Kastaneer, Gnando

27 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Kastaneer RM, GMS at LM with McEneff-Halliday at CM and Gnando-Boyce up front. Play all the January signings, 4-4-2. Couldn’t give a toss if it’s “harsh” on Walker he was ineffectual in the last game and since he apparently no longer has the legs to play at LM, there is no place for him in a 4-4-2. Fed up watching him vanish in this 4-2-3-1 setup. 

And if Gnanduillet is not fit, play Naismith there up front as an out and out striker. If he can’t fulfil that role, what use is he? What, play him at Center mid? Naismith needs to learn to just sit in the box and finish. Could have some of the best years of his career ahead of him if he just stopped the headless chicken pish and just sat on the penalty spot for 90 mins as he is deadly taking quick touch -> bang, in the box.

We don't get the ball in the box often enough/with sufficient quality , that's the problem. I've been thinking of a reverse of the Robbo/Jimmy Bone partnership , with SN getting on the end of layoffs/knockdowns from Boyce. But Boyce isn't a Jimmy Bone (and if he gets pissed off, which he seems to do , with some justification) and he drops short , negating that plan. 

It's a bit frustrating that we don't seem to be able to play Naismith, Walker and Boyce in the same line-up, especially if we also want to play a target man like Gnando as well. On the other hand it could be looked on as a nice problem to have, maybe the answer is to think of Naismith ahead of Boyce as the second striker alongside Gnando, with Walker playing behind them,

A_A wehatethehibs
3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

We don't get the ball in the box often enough/with sufficient quality , that's the problem. I've been thinking of a reverse of the Robbo/Jimmy Bone partnership , with SN getting on the end of layoffs/knockdowns from Boyce. But Boyce isn't a Jimmy Bone (and if he gets pissed off, which he seems to do , with some justification) and he drops short , negating that plan. 

Well against QoS for the 10 mins Naismith was on, the 2 of them stayed close to each other in and around the box and it ended up causing mayhem / panic that led to the penalty. After threatening a couple of times. And that wasn’t exactly a quality delivery.

Its not actually necessarily essential you get “quality delivery” every time. Just any ball will do, get the ball into areas where defenders are uncomfortable and compete, look to get the stramash going. Use the wingers to stretch the defence, then move it back to full back or midfield and inject it - at pace. Be direct. We don’t see enough stramashes these days. Naismith is the type of quick thinker to thrive if there’s a bit of pinball going on. But it’s creating that type of situation that’s tricky. We need to add some unpredictability to what we’re doing as one things fans would universally agree on is, just too much predictable passive percentage game being played. 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Well against QoS for the 10 mins Naismith was on, the 2 of them stayed close to each other in and around the box and it ended up causing mayhem / panic that led to the penalty. After threatening a couple of times. And that wasn’t exactly a quality delivery.

Its not actually necessarily essential you get “quality delivery” every time. Just any ball will do, get the ball into areas where defenders are uncomfortable and compete, look to get the stramash going. Use the wingers to stretch the defence, then move it back to full back or midfield and inject it - at pace. Be direct. We don’t see enough stramashes these days. Naismith is the type of quick thinker to thrive if there’s a bit of pinball going on. But it’s creating that type of situation that’s tricky. We need to add some unpredictability to what we’re doing as one things fans would universally agree on is, just too much predictable passive percentage game being played. 

Hearts created zilch during the majority of that game - the last 20 minutes or so might have looked good but it wasn't a 90 minute performance of attacking threat.

Its not actually necessarily essential you get “quality delivery” every time.... I never said it was. But Hearts are nowhere near good enough at getting the ball in from wide areas , quality or not. 

I agree we need some "unpredictablity" , in fact, we 're crying out for it on here.