*** Offishul match thread : Hearts v Morton ***

Bunny Munro

Maybe over simplifying things but when we were all young and played footie ie takeons in the park we all had a job to do and did it, footballers once they make the grade need told how to play, does anyone ever ask why?

Or is this the silliest post ever :)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• davemclaren

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Did we deliver at Dunfermline, Dundee and QoS......🤔

I didn't expect us to win every game. 

We will get beat from time to time, I acknowledge that and know the overall league is what is important. 

However, Alloa and Raith at home were shocks somewhat, defeat at Dundee and Dunfermine  although not good was hardly a surprise. 

I also thought these games could have went either way but a bit luck and poor finishing cost us. 

A 1-1 draw at QoS is not something I got worked up over either, a draw away from home on the way to the title. Next. 

Raith going3-0 up at Tynecastle is a shocker, beat of Alloa is just another lc howler to add to the list,  these things shouldn't be happening. That is why I mentioned them. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Turkishcap said:

Maybe over simplifying things but when we were all young and played footie ie takeons in the park we all had a job to do and did it, footballers once they make the grade need told how to play, does anyone ever ask why?

Or is this the silliest post ever :)

Not even close to the silliest Post ever on here. 

23 minutes ago, norrie1952 said:

That's the one.where have all the years gone.

I know - the seventies - the decade of the great decline.  I would hate to go through that again - from 75 on we got worse and worse. 

We seem to be obsessed by playing a No.10 and that the entire set up revolves round that. John Robertson said in an interview last week that he plays 2 strikers and 1 of those can drop back into the No.10 role if and when required. We can do that with Boyce and Nando , with Boyce dropping back as he does at present. 

HillmanHearts

Gordon.

Smith, Popescu, Halkett, Kingsley.

Irving.

Kastaneer, McEneff, GMS.

Naisey.

Boyce.

8 minutes ago, HillmanHearts said:

Gordon.

Irving.

Kastaneer, McEneff, GMS.

Naisey.

Boyce.

I think  I'll most probably be in the minority here but I would swop Irving for Halliday in that formation. As a sitting midfielder I think Halliday does the grunt work to break things down better.  

Edited by Firefox

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They are going down using the same system. 

Don't really use it anymore, but they don't have nearly so much possession. 

If teams sit in you need to be imaginative,  nobody sits in against them 

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Well against QoS for the 10 mins Naismith was on, the 2 of them stayed close to each other in and around the box and it ended up causing mayhem / panic that led to the penalty. After threatening a couple of times. And that wasn’t exactly a quality delivery.

Its not actually necessarily essential you get “quality delivery” every time. Just any ball will do, get the ball into areas where defenders are uncomfortable and compete, look to get the stramash going. Use the wingers to stretch the defence, then move it back to full back or midfield and inject it - at pace. Be direct. We don’t see enough stramashes these days. Naismith is the type of quick thinker to thrive if there’s a bit of pinball going on. But it’s creating that type of situation that’s tricky. We need to add some unpredictability to what we’re doing as one things fans would universally agree on is, just too much predictable passive percentage game being played. 

Its also difficult to cause a "stramash (respect to Arthur Montford) when its all defenders.

We need to commit more than just Boyce into the box, then when the ball breaks we actually have some players in there to take advantage. 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I didn't expect us to win every game. 

We will get beat from time to time, I acknowledge that and know the overall league is what is important. 

However, Alloa and Raith at home were shocks somewhat, defeat at Dundee and Dunfermine  although not good was hardly a surprise. 

I also thought these games could have went either way but a bit luck and poor finishing cost us. 

A 1-1 draw at QoS is not something I got worked up over either, a draw away from home on the way to the title. Next. 

Raith going3-0 up at Tynecastle is a shocker, beat of Alloa is just another lc howler to add to the list,  these things shouldn't be happening. That is why I mentioned them. 

No matter how you spin it we certainly did not “deliver” at Dundee, Dunfermline or QoS.

1 hour ago, merrymac said:

Its also difficult to cause a "stramash (respect to Arthur Montford) when its all defenders.

We need to commit more than just Boyce into the box, then when the ball breaks we actually have some players in there to take advantage. 

Maybe we need to brainwash the players - and Robbie - that we are 2 down when they run onto the park! 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

No matter how you spin it we certainly did not “deliver” at Dundee, Dunfermline or QoS.

Correct. 

There can be no excuse for these performances and a few others where we have scraped through this season. 

24 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Correct. 

There can be no excuse for these performances and a few others where we have scraped through this season. 

Yes, it was like watching Leveins teams all over again. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Thomaso said:

I don't take "delievering" as winning every game. 

Impossible ask imo. 

Delievering is wining the league over the season and we at doing that - comfortably. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Correct. 

No excuse for scraping wins..... 

:notsure:

3 hours ago, Thomaso said:

Maybe we need to brainwash the players - and Robbie - that we are 2 down when they run onto the park! 🤷‍♂️

and its half time 😂

Lord Beni of Gorgie

See its started 2 days early. 

How do people get through life so dissatisfied and angry?

6 0 Hearts and if it finished 1 0 meh, but job done. 

Won't be many teams across the UK winning +2 let alone +3 4 5 6

37 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Nope ! You're right SG.I just have a feeling we're going to run riot by at least +5 on Saturday.

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Thomaso said:

We should pretend every team is hibs. 

We'd be champions every other season. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Folk have entrenched themselves on the Robbie oot camp so by default get no joy from us winning as it means their stance is Weakened. 

I'm summary they're either angry at us for losing or angry that they are being proven wrong when we do well.

Always angry no matter what!

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I don't take "delievering" as winning every game. 

Impossible ask imo. 

Delievering is wining the league over the season and we at doing that - comfortably. 

You should go into politics Tosh - more spin than wee nippy! 😉

7 hours ago, HillmanHearts said:

Gordon.

Irving.

Kastaneer, McEneff, GMS.

Naisey.

Boyce.

Irving is poor. He does nothing thst Halliday provides and cannot tackle imo.

Kidd’s Boots

Time to ring the changes, Haring and McEneff for Irving and Halliday. Boyce and Naismith for 45, then Gnanduilett for Boyce at half time. 

11 minutes ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Time to ring the changes, Haring and McEneff for Irving and Halliday. Boyce and Naismith for 45, then Gnanduilett for Boyce at half time. 

I was thinking along these lines. Haring and McEneff could work well together.

Kidd’s Boots
13 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I was thinking along these lines. Haring and McEneff could work well together.

Perfect game to try these things imo

Does anyone know what Halliday is/does, I see some saying he’s a holding midfielder but he claims to like getting forward, the only game he’s played well for us he played further forward...

I certainly don’t think he’s a holding midfielder or playmaker, he seems to me to be the problem of trying to fit him in! Maybe a solid left midfielder in a 4?

I am going for a tough 3-1.    At least one debut goal for either of mceneff, Gary, kasteneer or popescu.   Hopefully popescu 🖖

Weather report at the moment still saying fairly high wind, some rain but warmer than usual.   

Just keep the ball down and keep it simple.    That would rule out irving for me.    Unless he can be used as a boxtobox player.    I think he's a good offensive player and is wasted hanging around our defenders. 

My team: Gordon, Smith, Kingsley, Popescu, Halkett, Haring, Mceneff, Naisy, Boyce, GMS, Walker. 

SUBS: Stewart, berra, white, irving, haliday, Henderson, kasteneer. 

Referee:David Dickinson

AR1

Frank Connor

AR2

Craig Ferguson

Some late late flags I imagine... 

c0ba21675eebaf40bae22f11eadd9938--red-dwarf.jpg

Edited by HMFC01

11 hours ago, Jambomb said:

Does anyone know what Halliday is/does, I see some saying he’s a holding midfielder but he claims to like getting forward, the only game he’s played well for us he played further forward...

I certainly don’t think he’s a holding midfielder or playmaker, he seems to me to be the problem of trying to fit him in! Maybe a solid left midfielder in a 4?

He does the same as Irving....very little.

Looking forward to this match.  Got an email saying the prematch build up is from 2.15pm for ST holders etc.

last week’s performance is history so let’s get into them at Tynecastle.

im hoping we can win by a couple of goals.  Had a crap week like most of us do now so looking forward to the football

🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻 

Too many underperformers against Ayr, almost anyone could be dropped. We had basically 5 across the middle and wide, Kast, Walker, Halliday, Irving, McKay/Stevens. All supposedly above this level and could not control and create from this area. Smith and Kingsley are caught out of position because they are having to the midfields job and we were open to counterattack as a result, our defence would be otherwise pretty solid IMO. Opposing managers have spotted this and just need to contain us and chances will come. This does not mean Smith and Kingsley should not join in, but the rest need to up their game. Would drop Halliday and Irving, we need more energy and drive in this area. Would expect a good reaction and performance tomorrow, last week is gone,  back on the rails.

13 hours ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

Perfect game to try these things imo

It is, but doubt whether he will drop Irving and Halliday at the same time. 

Plus the fact that no matter how shite our midfield are Haring just sits on that bench for ninety minutes. 

Really get the feeling that Neilson is actually worried about putting him on which if that is the case what is the point of him taking up a subs position. 

Gordon

Smith.  Halkett. Pop. Kingsley. 

Kasteneer. Haring. Irving.  GMS

McEneff

Boyce. 

More a centre mid emphasis. Get Haring as the sitter, get Irving in the mindset to get 10 yards further up the park with McEneff working the length of the pitch, but more so supporting Boyce  

We need more craft, cunning from the centre.  

We need a late runner, more surprise.  We are too obvious just now by trying to get the wide men in early. Teams just sit deep to counter it.  

Edited by Debut 4

Sub4TiddlerMurray
22 hours ago, Firefox said:

I think  I'll most probably be in the minority here but I would swop Irving for Halliday in that formation. As a sitting midfielder I think Halliday does the grunt work to break things down better.  

Halliday was very poor in the last match and one of the main reasons the ball was going backwards and sideways. Irving wasn't much better but he is a better player and needs a winner alongside him who can cover a lot of ground and play forward through the middle. I know most people see McEneff as a number 10 type but he is the ideal person to help Irving shine. For that reason I'd also go with:

Gordon,

Irving, McEneff

Kastaneer, Naismith, GMS,    

Boyce.

I'd prefer Walker because her was our most effective player in 3 of our last 4 games but I suspect he'll be benched to make way for Naismith because we are back playing on grass.

Edited by Sub4TiddlerMurray

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Does anyone know if Gnanduillet is still injured? Robbie makes no mention of his only mentions Souttar. 

Sure someone will be along to answer that soon. Have you noticed we don’t seem to get injury updates as often as we used to though? Not complaining btw, just an observation. 

49 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Too many underperformers against Ayr, almost anyone could be dropped. We had basically 5 across the middle and wide, Kast, Walker, Halliday, Irving, McKay/Stevens. All supposedly above this level and could not control and create from this area. Smith and Kingsley are caught out of position because they are having to the midfields job and we were open to counterattack as a result, our defence would be otherwise pretty solid IMO. Opposing managers have spotted this and just need to contain us and chances will come. This does not mean Smith and Kingsley should not join in, but the rest need to up their game. Would drop Halliday and Irving, we need more energy and drive in this area. Would expect a good reaction and performance tomorrow, last week is gone,  back on the rails.

I'd drop Halliday for White. At least he is aggressive and likes to get forward. A straight 4-4-2 for me in this one. 

Malinga the Swinga
15 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Folk have entrenched themselves on the Robbie oot camp so by default get no joy from us winning as it means their stance is Weakened. 

I'm summary they're either angry at us for losing or angry that they are being proven wrong when we do well.

Always angry no matter what!

They have already started with predictions of draw/defeat, poor performance whilst slating opposition. That way, they can either claim they knew result would happen or opposition crap and we should have scored more. 

Either way, leaves them free to complain about borefest or whatever other bandwagon is going. 

Of course they won't actually watch game, just jump in and feed off other negative posts and posters. 

14 hours ago, Kidd’s Boots said:

I would definitely try Haring and McEneff together... provided they're fit of course. If Haring isn't up to it, I would change Halliday for McEneff.

Up front hopefully Nando is back, I'm desperate to see if he and Boyce can get some sort of partnership going.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Skacelsid said:

Ayr? 

Inflicted their first defeat at home on them for ages, good away win imo. 

QoS, if we score first we batter them, we didn't. It happens. Draw was OK. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Ayr? 

Inflicted their first defeat at home on them fir ages, good away win imo. 

He said underperformers. You can still have multiple underperformers in a side that beat Ayr 1-0. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ayr? 

Inflicted their first defeat at home on them for ages, good away win imo. 

:cornette: