*** Offishul match thread : Hearts v Morton ***

Bunny Munro

17 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

The team we saw yesterday will be very different to the team that starts next season 

Don't count on it! A lot have long enough contracts to be here next season. You'll find the majority of these players will be starting in Premier games next season with maybe two new signings added. No doubt another defensive midfielder will be brought in. A defender.....only maybe.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• davemclaren

Just now, davemclaren said:

If the contracts are the constraints won’t we see the players under any new manager as well. 

Probably but a different manager and formation might just get the best out of them. Either way, most will be here next season.

Just now, jambonian said:

Don't count on it! A lot have long enough contracts to be here next season. You'll find the majority of these players will be starting in Premier games next season with maybe two new signings added. No doubt another defensive midfielder will be brought in. A defender.....only maybe.

We’ll sign more than two new players in the summer imo. 

The Treasurer
13 minutes ago, Gambo said:

We should have been rebuilding this season ready to start next season running imo.

He has brought in about a dozen this season already.

How many players do you think would sign for us while in the championship. The players we have brought in are good enough to do the job. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

We’ll sign more than two new players in the summer imo. 

Ok, maybe three. Chances are they will be similar types of players to what we have to choose from already so i won't be getting excited about 2021/22 just yet.

The Treasurer
3 minutes ago, jambonian said:

We will sign more than two players and quite a few will be allowed to go 

Just now, jambonian said:

Ok, maybe three. Chances are they will be similar types of players to what we have to choose from already so i won't be getting excited about 2021/22 just yet.

Probs about 5 I reckon but I can see you’re not going to take that as a potential positive. 😄

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Thing for me with Mackay_Steven...he is a pacey attack-minded player who's done well everywhere he's went. I still think he'll be an astute signing with bags of experience for the premier. For me the system Neilson plays does not suit his game. Mackay-Steven always had midfield support up with him to cut the ball to, in this system the midfield are static and don't get forward enough. This leads him to try and beat two players doubling up on him so the only option is to get the ball into the box as quick as possible and just hope someone's there on the end of it. More often than not, opposition defenders pick it up and boot it away while our midfielders watch on playing like extra defenders in and around the centre-circle. Then Boyce/Naismith has to drop deeper leaving no-one in the box. I'll say now though that (i know he's under contract for a couple of years) Mackay-Steven could walk away from Hearts now and sign for another club and be a major influence in that team. As with most players that come to Hearts, they get the life sucked out of them with negative football and coaching styles. Hey, maybe Frear and Roberts aren't as bad as they've seemed either!

Said it on several posts, it's not the players it's the system that they're obliged to play.

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Probs about 5 I reckon but I can see you’re not going to take that as a potential positive. 😄

3,4,5......it doesn't matter. I'm saying that even if they get rid of half a dozen, the players they bring in to replace them will be of a similar standard. If we want to be taken seriously as a club again we're going to have to do more than just sign a few duds from lower English league football. If not, we will be fighting (i use the term loosely) in a scrap next season. In other-words, we're actually going to have to spend a bit more cash on transfers or wages to get players here that's worth the money and some pride in the strip. Savage signing one or two players from the likes of...i don't know, a Blackpool or a Luton or whoever won't cut it. We need to be looking at the best players available in Scotland and potentially abroad like we did with Cameron, McCann, Hamilton, Adam, Flogel...etc. That to me is a positive, a Luton etc is a negative.

4 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Said it on several posts, it's not the players it's the system that they're obliged to play.

I've been saying that for the last five years! Ok, you can sign a dud or two, fair enough but when you add up the vast amount of players we've signed (not including money poured down the drain) there is no way that so many of them can be poor players. A lot have been proven at a similar level or higher in some cases yet after a few months they all end up regressing to mediocrity. Folk are now saying the same about Kingsley. Must be the magical 3/4 month stage that the majority go through.

29 minutes ago, jambonian said:

3,4,5......it doesn't matter. I'm saying that even if they get rid of half a dozen, the players they bring in to replace them will be of a similar standard. If we want to be taken seriously as a club again we're going to have to do more than just sign a few duds from lower English league football. If not, we will be fighting (i use the term loosely) in a scrap next season. In other-words, we're actually going to have to spend a bit more cash on transfers or wages to get players here that's worth the money and some pride in the strip. Savage signing one or two players from the likes of...i don't know, a Blackpool or a Luton or whoever won't cut it. We need to be looking at the best players available in Scotland and potentially abroad like we did with Cameron, McCann, Hamilton, Adam, Flogel...etc. That to me is a positive, a Luton etc is a negative.

I was thinking along similar lines yesterday as the game fizzled out - we'll need to spend big to be anywhere near the top end of the table next season because this current squad and its collective attitude isn't going to cut it.   Of course, the club doesn't have the money and I can't see the benefactor doling out more hard earned cash to squander on  more lifeless duds - but you never know. 

Francis Albert
46 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

We will sign more than two players and quite a few will be allowed to go 

Current players or the ones we sign?

On our signing record in the last few windows we would end up wishing we hadn't sign half of them.

But I agree our playing "style" is a big part of the problem

2 hours ago, Section Q said:

Are you off your f.ck.ng head.....?

Certainly not but I am beginning to think you might be.

You really don't see my point so not point trying to convince you otherwise.

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I was thinking along similar lines yesterday as the game fizzled out - we'll need to spend big to be anywhere near the top end of the table next season because this current squad and its collective attitude isn't going to cut it.   Of course, the club doesn't have the money and I can't see the benefactor doling out more hard earned cash to squander on  more lifeless duds - but you never know. 

The choice is simple...carry on as we are, signing similar players to who we get rid of and bloating the squad or spend some cash and buy fewer of better quality. 

If there's not money around to spend then Budge needs to look at selling to a consortium/business man who will be willing to work alongside FoH and invest in player recruitment. Every season we have to strip the squad back and start again. One failed defensive midfielder goes to be replaced by another defensive midfielder, and another, and another through the now famous revolving door at Tynie. 

9 minutes ago, jambonian said:

The choice is simple...carry on as we are, signing similar players to who we get rid of and bloating the squad or spend some cash and buy fewer of better quality. 

If there's not money around to spend then Budge needs to look at selling to a consortium/business man who will be willing to work alongside FoH and invest in player recruitment. Every season we have to strip the squad back and start again. One failed defensive midfielder goes to be replaced by another defensive midfielder, and another, and another through the now famous revolving door at Tynie. 

It's a heresy but I'm fine with that idea. I no longer have any faith that AB and the current board will deliver anything on the football pitch. Finding that cash in the current climate will be like looking for unicorns though. 

1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

Watched the highlights back. That miss from popescu was a shocker!

A poster yesterday mentioned 5 great chances , all missed. 

All of them fell to defenders.

Tells its own story.

36 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Watched the highlights back. That miss from popescu was a shocker!

It was easier to score, beyond me how he missed from about 6 yards.😧.

defender or not should have bust the net.

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

The team we saw yesterday will be very different to the team that starts next season 

In terms of there will be more new faces and some departures or just that their performances will be better?

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Certainly not but I am beginning to think you might be.

You really don't see my point so not point trying to convince you otherwise.

computers-offline-trolls-online_troll-online_trolling-comments_sections-nfkn2242_low.jpg

7 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

You've mentioned  that few times on here.

Are we going to better or worse?

If better, who the **** going to sign them?

Our signing success rate has not been that great for last 5 seasons.

Edited by Tommy Brown

The White Cockade

Another disappointing performance and result yesterday 

Strange thing is we started pretty well and I’m sure if we had scored first half we would have gone on to win comfortably

Had two dozen chances and finishing was rank

Then we faded badly until the substitutes came on

On the plus side Mcaneff looked really good particularly first half and although I’m not a fan Halliday had his best game for us Jamie was good again as an impact substitute as was the big man up front Unfortunately it was the type of game that needed an on form Irving to pick the passes to break them down and it looks like he’s out the picture now 

On a good day Naisy and Boyce would have filled their pockets but for whatever reason their finishing was terrible

Still for those of us old enough to have  watched us in the 60’s 70’s and early 80’s it’s not a new story It’s always been pretty tough most of the time supporting the Jambos 

I think the younger fans have to go through the same thing as we did to see what football and supporting the JT’s is all about 

Still think we will win the league by 10 points plus and look forward to next season 

Jambof3tornado
6 hours ago, Harry Potter said:

It was easier to score, beyond me how he missed from about 6 yards.😧.

defender or not should have bust the net.

Yup, no excuses of being a defender, still a professional footballer!!! Miss is a howler!!

The Old Tolbooth
On 20/02/2021 at 10:49, Jamdub said:

Well done John, I dont use Paddy Power anymore after they stopped giving you double the odds for 1 winner in a Lucky 15 bet.

So when Popescu rises to a corner kick and bullets a header past the goalkeeper, we will both be happy, but then when he goes on a Dave McPherson mazy run and fires one into the roof of the net, that 300/1 will teach them.

I was raging when he missed that sitter mate, I thought we were counting the cash!! 

The Treasurer
14 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Like everyone else, I can't answer that.

All I know is that the current team/squad has been put together with one aim in mind, to get promoted.

If/when that is achieved then we will need to change squad as the objectives of us as a club will be very different.

Jambo in Bathgate

Popescu missing that sitter. Also Halkett hasn’t scored in the league this season. Centre half’s not chipping in with goals is not helping.

2 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Popescu missing that sitter. Also Halkett hasn’t scored in the league this season. Centre half’s not chipping in with goals is not helping.

Agreed

Last season, he was the only one that I could see scoring.

Been thinking the same for a while. Given the number of corners we get, it beggars belief that our centre halves haven't scored a goal yet. Hopefully they're saving them for the run-in, we could certainly do with a few from them.

Some of Popescu's misses have to be seen to be believed. It's good he gets into positions BUT he really needs to score with some of the chances. Our problems arise when we don't get an early goal and we can't just hope Boyce gets the chances - teams often stick two players on him. Maybe Armand will help once he gets match fit.

On 22/02/2021 at 09:12, The Old Tolbooth said:

I was raging when he missed that sitter mate, I thought we were counting the cash!! 

Well this week with Sky Bet, I have a split a tenner:

Score Anytime

M. Popescu 20/1 - £4 win

2 Goals or more

M Popescu 500/1 - £2 win

C Halkett 150/1     - £2 win

A McEneff 33/1     - £2 win

Edited by Jamdub
Missed

5 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

Well this week, I have a split a tenner:

Score Anytime

M. Popescu 20/1 - £4 win

2 Goals or more

M Popescu 500/1 - £2 win

C Halkett 150/1     - £2 win

A McEneff 33/1     - £2 win

Holy feck!... 500/1 for 2 or more goals?... are you sure you've not take 3 or more goals? BET365 only has 2 or more goals for Pop at £100/1!

some prices if correct!👍

4 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Holy feck!... 500/1 for 2 or more goals?... are you sure you've not take 3 or more goals? BET365 only has 2 or more goals for Pop at £100/1!

some prices if correct!👍

The prices are correct, Popescu was 300/1 for 2 last week. The best bet is the 20/1 for him to score anytime to make up for that sitter last week. Go to Sky Bet those odds are still available, just noticed he is 50/1 to score the 1st goal, so stuck a couple of quid on that as well.

24 minutes ago, Jamdub said:

The prices are correct, Popescu was 300/1 for 2 last week. The best bet is the 20/1 for him to score anytime to make up for that sitter last week. Go to Sky Bet those odds are still available, just noticed he is 50/1 to score the 1st goal, so stuck a couple of quid on that as well.

Wow! 👍🤞💷💷💷

Bazzas right boot
On 21/02/2021 at 15:06, davemclaren said:

If the contracts are the constraints won’t we see the players under any new manager as well?

👍

Bazzas right boot
On 22/02/2021 at 13:38, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Fair point, but if this league is full of 1 thing, it is big centre halfs that can header the ball away. 

We've also missed a fair few from corners. 

Bazzas right boot
On 21/02/2021 at 22:19, Tommy Brown said:

Ironically it's not been good enough since Robbie left first time round. 

• 2 weeks later...
Kalamazoo Jambo
On 20/02/2021 at 11:31, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

We’ve got Gnananananananananduillet on the wing, on the wing...

Just sayin’