*** Offishul match thread : Hearts v Morton ***

Bunny Munro

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Offishul match thread : Hearts v Morton ***
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• sadj

• davemclaren

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Would like to see us try a different formation. 3-0 hearts though. Back at home so that’ll help. 

Yup.  Well, kinda depends what we mean by formation.  The sort of 4231/4213 we're doing is fine if done properly - it's change of mentality within it perhaps the difference, if you know what I mean???

Would like to see Gnando get a run if he's fit - good to see the lad not in a hurricane!!  My team

Gordon

Smudge Pops Halks King

Walker McEneff Irving GMS

Gnando Boyce

*Naisy for Nandos, if hes not back

Thing with this though is I want Smith playing high and Walker coming inside.  I want GMS hugging the touchline on the other side.  Boyce can drop, take the ball and turn, but when he does so, he needs Nando running behind and McEneff and Walker getting in the pockets behind their midfield, with GMS always the outball wide left to then get it in the box for all 4 of those players to be in and around.  Irving sit, pick up scraps and the ball off the CHs and make all that happen.  So its 442, but its sometimes 352, or 424, or 235!  Just get up the pitch!

Easy this management lark.

I'd like to see us play 4-3-3 with 3 forwards. 

Probably go,

Gordon

Smith Popescu Halkett Kingsley 

McEneff Haring Halliday  

Kastaneer Boyce Naismith 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

I'd like to see us play 4-3-3 with 3 forwards. 

Probably go,

Gordon

Smith Popescu Halkett Kingsley 

McEneff Haring Halliday  

Kastaneer Boyce Naismith 

Looks as though the narrative has gone full circle re width

I would like to see Haring get a shot. I'm a bit unhappy Irving hasn't sorted his future yet and with the league all but won, I'd rather think about next season with regards to squad line up. Haring will definitely be here, so should be given the opportunity to try and get himself back to where he was before the summer. It means, if he's unable to we can factor that into our Summer plans. Likewise, if Irving isn't signing no point continuing to expose him to first team games for us. 

Gordon

Smith Halkett Popescu Kingsley

Haring

McEneff Halliday

GMS Boyce Walker

12 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yup.  Well, kinda depends what we mean by formation.  The sort of 4231/4213 we're doing is fine if done properly - it's change of mentality within it perhaps the difference, if you know what I mean???

Would like to see Gnando get a run if he's fit - good to see the lad not in a hurricane!!  My team

Gordon

Smudge Pops Halks King

Gnando Boyce

Thing with this though is I want Smith playing high and Walker coming inside.  I want GMS hugging the touchline on the other side.  Boyce can drop, take the ball and turn, but when he does so, he needs Nando running behind and McEneff and Walker getting in the pockets behind their midfield, with GMS always the outball wide left to then get it in the box for all 4 of those players to be in and around.  Irving sit, pick up scraps and the ball off the CHs and make all that happen.  So its 442, but its sometimes 352, or 424, or 235!  Just get up the pitch!

swap walker and irving for kastaneer and haring and i would go for that. it gives players a bit of a warning that poor performances will lead you to being dropped and if it does not work bring irving on at half time

We aint playing great but i would imagine we will get the win here...just.

Predict a 2-1 win.

Really want to see maceneff start and two strikers on the park from the start, this would send the right message to morton before kick off.

I think we should all predict turgid 1-0 wins or exasperating 1-1 draws in the hope the players decided to annoy us by trouncing Morton 8-0

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

swap walker and irving for kastaneer and haring and i would go for that. it gives players a bit of a warning that poor performances will lead you to being dropped and if it does not work bring irving on at half time

When were Walker and Irving's poor performances is the big question there!  Jamie has been on good form.  Irving too until Ayr where he actually did a good defensive job in a scrap of a game and then QOTS where he didn't have his best night but had zero targets when he had the ball. The only reason not to play him is if you want to have someone to sit and break up rather than someone to get on the ball and play.  Haring can do both, tbf.

20 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Gordon

Smudge Pops Halks King

Gnando Boyce

Yeah that set up makes sense.  I’m pretty much up for anything that sees someone playing close to Boyce. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I think we should all predict turgid 1-0 wins or exasperating 1-1 draws in the hope the players decided to annoy us by trouncing Morton 8-0

8-0 you say? That’ll do 👍

Just now, TheBigO said:

When were Walker and Irving's poor performances is the big question there!  Jamie has been on good form.  Irving too until Ayr where he actually did a good defensive job in a scrap of a game and then QOTS where he didn't have his best night but had zero targets when he had the ball. The only reason not to play him is if you want to have someone to sit and break up rather than someone to get on the ball and play.  Haring can do both, tbf.

walker seems to be on a 1 or 2 good games in 10 and irving has been poor the last few games and yes others have as well that is why i would not start halliday. irvings contract situation could be part of the reason he has been poor. also i think even against morton a centre midfield of mceneff and irving would be reminisent of lee and irving in the dundee game (opening game of the season?) where some of their goals were down to the lack of protection lee and irving gave the defense. i.e. letting them waltz through them with ease

24 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Gordon

Smudge Pops Halks King

Gnando Boyce

Same except Haring for Irving 

1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

walker seems to be on a 1 or 2 good games in 10 and irving has been poor the last few games and yes others have as well that is why i would not start halliday. irvings contract situation could be part of the reason he has been poor. also i think even against morton a centre midfield of mceneff and irving would be reminisent of lee and irving in the dundee game (opening game of the season?) where some of their goals were down to the lack of protection lee and irving gave the defense. i.e. letting them waltz through them with ease

Not arguing here mate, but Walker has played very well the last probably 4 games he's played.  Irving has not been poor the last few games.   As I said, last 2 games were hard, but in Ayr he did the job as well as could be expected.  So really he's had one poor game after a run previous to those where he was basically our best player over a couple of games.

Depends how you want to quantify form I guess.

5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Not arguing here mate, but Walker has played very well the last probably 4 games he's played.  Irving has not been poor the last few games.   As I said, last 2 games were hard, but in Ayr he did the job as well as could be expected.  So really he's had one poor game after a run previous to those where he was basically our best player over a couple of games.

it is good to have a debate with reasons for peoples views rather than just stating them. i feel our issues just now are in centre mid and we need to change that. also remember with irving he is young and at times you need to take younger players out even if they are playing well. i have felt watching some of the recent games irving has slowed us down when going forward, some (potentially a lot of that) could be lack of movement ahead of him but what we are doing just now is not quite working.

8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

I agree. He’s mostly had a good season as well. The thing is, if he had a poor game on Friday because of the contract negotiations I could understand if he didn’t start. 

35 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Gordon

Smudge Pops Halks King

Gnando Boyce

That's the team I would start with, but noticed on the training video on the Souttar thread there was no sign of Gnando,so guessing he might, at best be on the bench.

Would quite like to see Naismith start right up top with Boyce if that is the case and see how that works.

5 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

That's the team I would start with, but noticed on the training video on the Souttar thread there was no sign of Gnando,so guessing he might, at best be on the bench.

Would quite like to see Naismith start right up top with Boyce if that is the case and see how that works.

Me too. We all know that if Naismith plays, he won't be up top though. Which is a mistake imo.

Wouldn't mind seeing McGill back on the bench for a few minutes here and there as we get towards the end of the season. If Irving doesn't sign up, then I'd rather give the minutes to McGill tbh. 

Laddie seemed very composed on the ball for his age, and considering we're in dead rubber territory league wise, I think it would be invaluable as we look to next season. 

Just now, TheBigO said:

Me too. We all know that if Naismith plays, he won't be up top though. Which is a mistake imo.

Actually think that is the only position he can play now.

He hasn't got the legs for anything else imo.

Your right though, don't think we will see him and Boyce as a partnership up front.

Might just work though because they are both intelligent footballers.

A_A wehatethehibs
6 minutes ago, David Black said:

If both Nando and Boyce are both fit, they must be played together. 

I’d be keen to see this with Walker dropped. 

I'd like to see White get a start ahead of Halliday. White hasn't been playing so freshening things up a bit could make all the difference. I'd like a standard 4-4-2 and be going with

............................Gordon 

Smith, Popescu, Halkett, Kingsley 

..Kastaneer, Walker, Irving, White,

...........Gnandulliet/ Boyce.

............ (Naismith)

If we need to change during the game Mackay-Steven can come on fresh, Halliday, Naismith/Gnandulliet among the subs.

2 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I'd like to see White get a start ahead of Halliday. White hasn't been playing so freshening things up a bit could make all the difference. I'd like a standard 4-4-2 and be going with

............................Gordon 

Smith, Popescu, Halkett, Kingsley 

..Kastaneer, Walker, Irving, White,

...........Gnandulliet/ Boyce.

............ (Naismith)

If we need to change during the game Mackay-Steven can come on fresh, Halliday, Naismith/Gnandulliet among the subs.

Halliday appears to be undroppable no matter how crap he plays.

9 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Actually think that is the only position he can play now.

He hasn't got the legs for anything else imo.

Your right though, don't think we will see him and Boyce as a partnership up front.

Might just work though because they are both intelligent footballers.

It would definitely work imo. The problem is one of them, like Boyce the time he played with Gnando will always drop deep looking for the ball, leaving the other isolated, because there isn’t enough service. The wingers need to find some form, full backs allowed to get past the halfway line and one of the two central midfielders pushing up during most attacks. 

Edited by GinRummy

44 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

In this case you should be making about 9 changes from last week.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

It would definitely work imo. The problem is one of them, like Boyce the time he played Gnando will always drop deep looking for the ball because there isn’t enough service. The wingers need to find some form, full backs allowed to get past the halfway lone and one of the two central midfielders pushing up during most attacks. 

Yip, it would definitely depend on far better service from the wingers and midfield to stop one of them constantly dropping deep looking for the ball.

Early impressions say McEneff could do Halliday’s job and more.  He does get up and down the pitch and it’s something we’ve missed for ages. 

However, I’m not saying necessarily drop Halliday. I’m not sure playing just two natural centre mids has made us more creative or purposeful as Neilson hopes playing two wingers provides immediate threat. 

Would rather McEneff ahead of Irving and Halliday working in that area and running beyond opposition from midfield.  Either full back bombing forward when he sees fit with one winger.   Two upfront as Boyce tends to drop off. 

Numerous changes required yet again due to some dreadful performances last time out.

Gordon

Smith

Halckett

Popescu

Kingsley

Walker

Haring

Halliday

GMS

Naismith

Boyce

Irving is pants imo

Kastaneer looks awful

We have to play our best player, which I believe to be Naismith, but up front. When he's on the pitch there is an urgency and proper communication.

We also have to drop GMS (I was delighted when we signed him, but have we bought a dud?)

Haring needs to come in, we are a better team with him in it.

White offers more of a wide attacking threat than Frear, Henderson, Kastaneer (early days I accept).

Mcenuff deserves a start in the centre

So....

Gordon 

Smith Halkett Popescu, Kingsley

Walker, McEnuff, Haring, White

Boyce, Naismith

Subs:

Kastaneer, Irving, Halliday, Gnandulliet, GMS, Henderson

Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

Halliday appears to be undroppable no matter how crap he plays.

I don't actually mind Halliday too much. However he did say when he joined that he'd barely trained in six months. He started off okay but after a lot of games in a short space of time, i think it's starting to take it's toll. Not just on him but Smith too seeing he's been away with N. Ireland as well. Point is there is a squad to choose from so no reason to keep going with the same players week in, week out (although to be fair there's not a lot we can do about Smith with Brandon out injured again). White is a more aggressive, attacking midfielder than Halliday so he'd be useful in tackling as well as getting forward around the Mackay-Steven area of the pitch. The team just needs freshened up a wee bit. It might just give us the spark we're sorely missing at the moment. And if need-be there's a few things you could change with the subs available. Halliday for Irving, GMS for White, Haring on for Kastaneer pushing Walker wide right late in the game to tighten midfield or even McEneff on for Walker/Kastaneer, plenty options. The whole idea of having a squad should be to utilize them. Frustrates me when players are sitting on the bench getting a wage while one or two on the pitch are playing poorly.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Gordon

Smudge Pops Halks King

Gnando Boyce

This is where I am formation wise. I always go back to the brilliant 05/06 squad, back four and front two pick themselves (for Robbie/Pressley/Webster/Takis read Smith/Pop/Halket/Kingsley) and (for Edgar & Bednar read Boyce & Nando) OK midfield 4, holding/enforcer, (Brellier) =Haring, box to box (Hartley)=McEnuff, winger (Miko)=GMS, inside forward (Rudi)=Walker. OK I know it's a bit of a stretch of imagination but I feel far more offensive than the 2 DM and more solid than the two ineffectual wingers! And no I haven't been smoking anything!

24 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Numerous changes required yet again due to some dreadful performances last time out.

Gordon

Smith

Halckett

Popescu

Kingsley

Walker

Haring

Halliday

GMS

Naismith

Boyce

Irving is pants imo

Kastaneer looks awful

So your numerous changes are, in fact, two changes...if I’m remembering Friday’s starting line up correctly?

We started well last Friday. After a few minutes Billy Dodds predicted a long night ahead for QotS. 

The early goal didn't come, unfortunately, and Queen's settled, then worked their way into the game. We need the same start v. Morton but with the early goal.

I'd start with the same team and batter them into submission. Early goal and Hearts could go on to score a few.

Even if a goal doesnt come early we should still manage to win the game.

Hearts 3-0.

portobellojambo1

We all see games differently to an extent but for me last Friday showed that we need someone else up front to get the best out of Boyce and our wingers. I thought we looked a bit better late on Friday once Naismith came on and was around the penalty area with Boyce. And while I understand why people are a bit disappointed by the lack of input from out wide we aren't going to get that input if we don't create situations where they can run to the bye line and then deliver. I suspect Morton will be another side who will sit in and try and frustrate us, but it us up to us to look to force them to change how they want to play rather than them forcing us to change. Keep playing on the front foot and look to get a few goals to boost the confidence going into the last 10 league games.

Would give GMS one more run out before being dropped in the hope he produces a performance. Think the team will be - 

Gordon

Smith

Popescu

Halkett

Kingsley

Haring

Halliday

Walker

Naismith

GMS

Boyce

https://bit.ly/3jY9MRU?fbclid=IwAR1hYTfMMLACuKgEUsVikLAiXFWED0Gn8yfe7h-DwuT6XxYSg4I1mcU5YK8

Colin Cameron making sense over our midfield. Basically saying he doesn’t understand why we’re playing with 2 holding midfielders, should be Irving and McEneff. 
Hopefully McEneff gets a start on Saturday! 🤞

14 minutes ago, Barack said:

Hearts just had 1 point, on Pointless.

We'll take 3 here.

It’s either a repeat or that’s twice that has happened. 

Just now, Barack said:

English or Scottish teams with an L in their name.

Can’t remember what it was last time. No much use really 😂. Just remember we got 1 point before. 

30 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Is Gnandulliet available to play?

Watched the training video on the Souttar thread and no sign of him. 

Maybe training later this week, but possibly the bench would be the best bet for him.