Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )

best in the land

Just now, kila said:

And what facts are those? That Hearts form was turning, we were most likely to stay up and shite like Ross County were in free fall.

But league gets called early and no post split fixtures. But all Stendel's fault!

I’m not denying we were robbed of the opportunity to get ourselves out of bottom spot. He put us there though and his record was terrible. It’s if, buts and maybes what he would have done after the st Mirren game. 

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Bongo 1874

• GinRummy

Just now, Dazo said:

I’m not denying we were robbed of the opportunity to get ourselves out of bottom spot. He put us there though and his record was terrible. It’s if, buts and maybes what he would have done after the st Mirren game. 

The St Mirren game was a howler no doubt about that, especially when the pandemic crisis was becoming clearer. But regardless, Stendel didn't get enough time to fail and I honestly thought he was building something.

He should've been kept on and he was keen, but Budge fancied Robbie instead. So here we are... but with **** all else to do during lockdown it's fun to ponder what if's ;)

Levein was sacked because he was going to get us relegated. Stendel had a ridiculously hard task to turn 2 years of relegation form around and struggled to do so due to the shit show he inherited including unfit billy big baws players who couldn’t be arsed. Why people are so determined to put the boot into Stendel is beyond me. Managers need time to get things the way they’d like. Folk on RN’s case would do well to remember that too. All imo of course. 

6 minutes ago, kila said:

The St Mirren game was a howler no doubt about that, especially when the pandemic crisis was becoming clearer. But regardless, Stendel didn't get enough time to fail and I honestly thought he was building something.

He should've been kept on and he was keen, but Budge fancied Robbie instead. So here we are... but with **** all else to do during lockdown it's fun to ponder what if's ;)

I agree he probably didn’t get enough time to properly judge but he certainly do enough in the time he did have to get another crack at it imo. 

Edited by Dazo

Berra than you
2 minutes ago, kila said:

This still baffles me about how the Neilson appointment came about completely out of the blue. Personally, I think given where we are Neilson is a better bet than Stendel would have been. Think Stendel would have struggled to get in the players he needed for his style at this level, and I think we struggled more under Stendel agaisnt teams that sit in than we do now. Had we stayed in the top flight I would have liked to have seen him get a crack at it. The fact he was binned when we didn't know where we were going to be odd for me. 

His results weren't good enough but you could see we were improving and it was harsh the way we let him go. I'd like to see him back one day, but I doubt that will ever happen.

17 minutes ago, kila said:

Beat Rangers and Hibs in the league, and it was 14 league games not 15. He had 10 pts from 27 since the turn of the year which I recall being around mid table. Ross County were going to finish last with the way things were going. Of course the post split fixtures are where that really takes shape and we never got that.

Hearts 0-1 St Johnstone
Hearts 0-2 Celtic
Hamilton 2-1 Hearts
Hearts 0-2 Hibs
Hearts 1-1 Aberdeen
Ross County 0-0 Hearts
Hearts 2-1 Rangers
St Johnstone 3-3 Hearts
Hearts 2-3 Kilmarnock
Celtic 5-0 Hearts
Hearts 2-2 Hamilton
Hibs 1-3 Hearts
Hearts 1-1 Motherwell
St Mirren 1-0 Hearts

A lot of damage had been done before Stendel arrived. Folk just look at those results,  say its shite but when other clubs with less resources  are coached better over a period of time, playing to their strengths,  and have identified players with the right character without needing to announce it, its a corrosive effect On the club that hasnt that needs a lot of treatment

Edited by Riccarton3

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Levein was sacked because he was going to get us relegated. Stendel had a ridiculously hard task to turn 2 years of relegation form around and struggled to do so due to the shit show he inherited including unfit billy big baws players who couldn’t be arsed. Why people are so determined to put the boot into Stendel is beyond me. Managers need time to get things the way they’d like. Folk on RN’s case would do well to remember that too. All imo of course. 

I think people are putting the boot into the people wanting him as manager rather than him. His record was terrible, saying so isn’t putting the boot in it’s in black and white for all to see. I just don’t understand the clamour to have him back especially while sitting comfortably top of the league. 

2 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

This still baffles me about how the Neilson appointment came about completely out of the blue. Personally, I think given where we are Neilson is a better bet than Stendel would have been. Think Stendel would have struggled to get in the players he needed for his style at this level, and I think we struggled more under Stendel agaisnt teams that sit in than we do now. Had we stayed in the top flight I would have liked to have seen him get a crack at it. The fact he was binned when we didn't know where we were going to be odd for me. 

His results weren't good enough but you could see we were improving and it was harsh the way we let him go. I'd like to see him back one day, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Craig Levein (even the name causes problems with predictive txt) was not surprised at Neilson's appointment. You can make of that what you will.

5 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

But neither manager and including Levein ever  got to grips with why we could/can put in decent performances against "big teams" but are so shit against supposedly inferior teams.   

Just now, Dazo said:

I think people are putting the boot into the people wanting him as manager rather than him. His record was terrible, saying so isn’t putting the boot in it’s in black and white for all to see. I just don’t understand the clamour to have him back especially while sitting comfortably top of the league. 

It’s not black and white to me. He inherited a team that was in relegation form for the best part of two years. You could see the players weren’t fit. To switch it around, I have no doubt that Robbie would have overseen a similar run of pish results had he taken over at the same time as DS. 

As for wanting him back. It’s silly to dwell on it. The decision was made and Robbie is the manager. He deserves the chance and support from the club that Stendel did not get. 

4 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

But neither manager and including Levein ever  got to grips with why we could/can put in decent performances against "big teams" but are so shit against supposedly inferior teams.   

One of them had an awful lot more time to fix that. One created the mess and one didn’t. 

9 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Maybe it's simply that we never approached these games with the same mindset. Expecting things is to happen. Also I think.there's a general rubbish ing of these supposed inferior teams by fans  when in fact we were the inferior team

Edited by Riccarton3

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It’s not black and white to me. He inherited a team that was in relegation form for the best part of two years. You could see the players weren’t fit. To switch it around, I have no doubt that Robbie would have overseen a similar run of pish results had he taken over at the same time as DS. 

As for wanting him back. It’s silly to dwell on it. The decision was made and Robbie is the manager. He deserves the chance and support from the club that Stendel did not get. 

I disagree but it’s all irrelevant now really. Seen nothing to suggest he should be here. 

Just now, Dazo said:

I disagree but it’s all irrelevant now really. Seen nothing to suggest he should be here. 

It is irrelevant. I agree, It’s all old ground we are going over.

7 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Because 'big teams' try to attack and leave us space to play through (i include hibs in that, although clearly not a 'big time'). Every other team is happy to soak up the pressure and hit us on the break.

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Because 'big teams' try to attack and leave us space to play through (i include hibs in that, although clearly not a 'big time'). Every other team is happy to soak up the pressure and hit us on the break.

I think having a bigger league where there is less relegation pressure might encourage teams to open up a bit and mean that there would be far less teams happy to sit in. It makes the spectacle utter shite that essentially half the league is going to sit in.

Beyond that, I think its on us to find a way of playing that breaks these teams down. Playing for set pieces might be one way, not pretty but in Kingsley and Walker we do have two decent free kick takers. Signing CBs dominant in the air is another, corners would become much more dangerous. 

Its one of the worst aspects of Scottish football though, a small competitive league sounds great, until managers of nothing clubs figure out they can avoid relegation by refusing to try and win games. 

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We continue to allow that to happen by not drawing teams out, we pass side to side so teams don't need to do much. Our movement is non existent at times and we seem afraid to shoot from distance, if you get shots in and even just win corners it builds pressure, or their keeper has the ball and has to do something with it. We need to be braver and encourage teams on to us a bit more then hit them on the break. This is not exclusive to Neilson we've been doing it for years.

Berra than you
27 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Craig Levein (even the name causes problems with predictive txt) was not surprised at Neilson's appointment. You can make of that what you will.

I remember hearing this shortly after he came back. Did Levein not say something along the lines of speaking to him at a game and he said he would consider? I'm sure other posters have suggested that it's no coincidence that he came back the minute Levein was gone. I guess we will never really know. 

Edited by Berra than you

24 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

The hibs are a wee team but being our city rivals have to try and act like a big team lol,

27 minutes ago, OTT said:

I think having a bigger league where there is less relegation pressure might encourage teams to open up a bit and mean that there would be far less teams happy to sit in. It makes the spectacle utter shite that essentially half the league is going to sit in.

Beyond that, I think its on us to find a way of playing that breaks these teams down. Playing for set pieces might be one way, not pretty but in Kingsley and Walker we do have two decent free kick takers. Signing CBs dominant in the air is another, corners would become much more dangerous. 

Its one of the worst aspects of Scottish football though, a small competitive league sounds great, until managers of nothing clubs figure out they can avoid relegation by refusing to try and win games. 

This is essential and a few games this season have shown us that Robbie's not cracked this yet. We can't go into next season without having a way of breaking down the likes of Hamilton, Ross County, Kilmarnock etc who simply come to Tynie to sit in and hit us on the break.

44 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

That’s probably because they tried to get Robbie back in Nov 19 and he said wait until the end of the season. Think it was lined up 6/7 months before it happened. 

24 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

I remember hearing this shortly after he came back. Did Levein not say something along the lines of speaking to him at a game and he said he would consider? I'm sure other posters have suggested that it's no coincidence that he came back the minute Levein was gone. I guess we will never really know. 

Ha ha - no he said nothing of the sort.  But I suppose you "make of it what you will"

22 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

That’s probably because they tried to get Robbie back in Nov 19 and he said wait until the end of the season. Think it was lined up 6/7 months before it happened. 

So what was Stendel, an interim choice?

Berra than you
36 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Ha ha - no he said nothing of the sort.  But I suppose you "make of it what you will"

Article in the courier from last summer;

Asked if the news of Neilson’s exit from United came as a surprise to him, Levein responded: “No. I had a long conversation with Robbie in November.

“At that point he intimated that he would he like to come back to Hearts at some point. 

So apart from the speaking to him at a game, what I've said is right? Thought so.

On 15/02/2021 at 13:31, Gambo said:

I was clearly talking about the Scottish Cup as a whole, a Cup we failed to win. So Scottish Cup for 2019/20(finished in 2021) was a failure. I acknowledged the win v Hibs.

You set the bar fairly high considering we are one tenth the size of Celtic and one fifth the size of Rangers but failing to win the Cup with them in the completion is a failure? 
On that basis, with the same teams involved, failing to win the League was a failure last year. 

5 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Article in the courier from last summer;

Asked if the news of Neilson’s exit from United came as a surprise to him, Levein responded: “No. I had a long conversation with Robbie in November.

“At that point he intimated that he would he like to come back to Hearts at some point. 

So apart from the speaking to him at a game, what I've said is right? Thought so.

Aye, I wasn't doubting he'd spoke to him.  He doesn't suggest there that he offered anything, or Robbie said he'd "consider" anything.

3 minutes ago, Sid said:

You set the bar fairly high considering we are one tenth the size of Celtic and one fifth the size of Rangers but failing to win the Cup with them in the completion is a failure? 
On that basis, with the same teams involved, failing to win the League was a failure last year. 

Is it a success now not to win the cup?

Last year's league was a failure I think we will all agree, though we beat Hibs a couple of times in the league so some will see last season as a success.😁

Berra than you
7 minutes ago, WageThief said:

Aye, I wasn't doubting he'd spoke to him.  He doesn't suggest there that he offered anything, or Robbie said he'd "consider" anything.

For clarity, I wasnt trying to suggest that he had been offered the job. Just that he said that we would consider coming back, if he were offered. Had thought was clear in my post, apologies

Dusk_Till_Dawn
7 minutes ago, WageThief said:

It really isn’t difficult to put the pieces together. Shan Budge probably sought Levein’s advice again before hiring Neilson. Seems incapable of making a cup of tea without getting Craig to pour the milk

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, kila said:

Beat Rangers and Hibs in the league, and it was 14 league games not 15. He had 10 pts from 27 since the turn of the year which I recall being around mid table. Ross County were going to finish last with the way things were going. Of course the post split fixtures are where that really takes shape and we never got that.

Hearts 0-1 St Johnstone
Hearts 0-2 Celtic
Hamilton 2-1 Hearts
Hearts 0-2 Hibs
Hearts 1-1 Aberdeen
Ross County 0-0 Hearts
Hearts 2-1 Rangers
St Johnstone 3-3 Hearts
Hearts 2-3 Kilmarnock
Celtic 5-0 Hearts
Hearts 2-2 Hamilton
Hibs 1-3 Hearts
Hearts 1-1 Motherwell
St Mirren 1-0 Hearts

Yes, Stendel beat Rangers and Hibs in the league. Levein beat Celtic and Hibs in the league. Robbie beat Rangers and Hibs in the league. Even Cathro beat Rangers in the league - humped them in fact.

However, we need a manager who can beat the top 6 AND the bottom 6 sides consistently enough to put us comfortably in the top 3. Neilson is the only manager since JJ in 2010/11 who has proven himself capable of that in both the Championship and Premiership.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
5 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Is it a success now not to win the cup?

Last year's league was a failure I think we will all agree, though we beat Hibs a couple of times in the league so some will see last season as a success.😁

Mind how delighted folk were when Levein got a bye to the final and lost to Celtic?

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Mind how delighted folk were when Levein got a bye to the final and lost to Celtic?

Is that right aye? That was a harder route to the final than JJ had in 98. JJ had all home ties against lower league teams . Probably the easiest run to the final in our history. Did that matter when we got there?

At least in 18/19 we also faced another Premiership team on the way to the final as well as one away game. Some luck in the draw is sometimes what you need to win the cup. Bizarre to use it to put down the achievement of reaching a cup final. We've had many "easy" draws in cup rounds over the years and haven't progressed.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, kila said:

Hearts 0-1 St Johnstone
Hearts 0-2 Celtic
Hamilton 2-1 Hearts
Hearts 0-2 Hibs
Hearts 1-1 Aberdeen
Ross County 0-0 Hearts
Hearts 2-1 Rangers
St Johnstone 3-3 Hearts
Hearts 2-3 Kilmarnock
Celtic 5-0 Hearts
Hearts 2-2 Hamilton
Hibs 1-3 Hearts
Hearts 1-1 Motherwell
St Mirren 1-0 Hearts

All fair and it's a shame, I also think Ross County or St Mirren would have be caught. 

However, even if you think Stendel was/ would have been good - why hate Robbie, why are folk wanting him sacked since November? - ridiculous. 

The Real Maroonblood
23 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

It really isn’t difficult to put the pieces together. Shan Budge probably sought Levein’s advice again before hiring Neilson. Seems incapable of making a cup of tea without getting Craig to pour the milk

:greatpost:

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

All fair and it's a shame, I also think Ross County or St Mirren would have be caught. 

However, even if you think Stendel was/ would have been good - why hate Robbie, why are folk wanting him sacked since November? - ridiculous. 

I'm not wanting him sacked. But he's less of a character than Stendel for sure, and the lines Neilson is spurting in the media are testing the fans patience (blaming the pitch, referees, Friday night fixtures etc).

Onwards and upwards as we head towards spring though. Football in winter is shite.

Edited by kila

1 minute ago, kila said:

I'm not wanting him sacked. But he's less of a character than Stendel for sure, and the lines Neilson is spurting in the media are testing the fans patience (blaming the pitch, referees, Friday night fixtures etc).

Onwards and upwards as we head towards spring though. Football in winter is shite.

Why leagues under the top flight haven’t revamped their season to take advantage of better weather is an absolute mystery to me. If they can do it in other countries they could do it here. 

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

The funny thing about this is that Ann would never make her own tea!! 

Queens have staff for such menial tasks. 

👍

Edited by Smith's right boot

William H. Bonney
Just now, Smith's right boot said:

The funny thing about this is that Ann would never make her own tea!! 

Queens have staff for such menial tasks. 

👍

My guess is Robbie probably makes her tea. 

Guest ToqueJambo
8 minutes ago, kila said:

Onwards and upwards as he head towards spring though. Football in winter is shite.

Anyone who's watched some of our games knows what Neilson is referring to.

The comparisons with Stendel are just a joke. Who knows how he could've done but what he did was completely ineffective.

I've never seen a Hearts team that made so many mistakes in so many games in such a short period - from defenders selling the jersey, to goalie howlers, to strikers missing sitter after sitter. Worse even than Levein's latter period and under Cathro - simply because of the sheer volume of completely avoidable mistakes, a lot of them brought on by him focusing on the way we played when we should have focused on winning games. I mean in some games in the late stages forwards were bumping into each other there were so many of them on the park. 

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Anyone who's watched some of our games knows what Neilson is referring to.

The comparisons with Stendel are just a joke. Who knows how he could've done but what he did was completely ineffective.

I've never seen a Hearts team that made so many mistakes in so many games in such a short period - from defenders selling the jersey, to goalie howlers, to strikers missing sitter after sitter. 

It wasn’t completely ineffective. If you look at his results and performances before and after the break, there was clear progress. He also inherited practically all the players who made the mistakes and imo was not supported or directed adequately during the one winter window he had.  He also was allowed to arrive on his own, without assistants. If assistants of their own choosing don’t help managers then they wouldn’t pick their own at every club. 

Bazzas right boot

Maybe Stendel could be assistant manager. 

Dream team

Robbie and stendel. 

:yas:

No more arguments. 

Be Robbie and stendel oot after a 1-1 draw! 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It wasn’t completely ineffective. If you look at his results and performances before and after the break, there was clear progress. He also inherited practically all the players who made the mistakes and imo was not supported or directed adequately during the one winter window he had.  He also was allowed to arrive on his own, without assistants. If assistants of their own choosing don’t help managers then they wouldn’t pick their own at every club. 

How did results improve? He got 2 wins and 5 draws in 15 league games. In the previous 15 we got 2 wins and 6 draws. He literally made us worse, despite having Souttar, Washington, Walker and others back from injury plus the addition of Boyce up front.

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

How did results improve? He got 2 wins and 5 draws in 15 league games. In the previous 15 we got 2 wins and 6 draws. He literally made us worse.

I said results improved after the break. His side produced a couple of the best performances I have seen from hearts in years. Say what you want but there was clear progress after the break in comparison to before the break. 

I have to say, the intolerance and writing off Stendel after such a short period of time and given he was denied the opportunity to play out the season is really surprising to me. Things take time to work. Radical changes to playing style more so. 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I said results improved after the break. His side produced a couple of the best performances I have seen from hearts in years. Say what you want but there was clear progress after the break in comparison to before the break. 

I have to say, the intolerance and writing off Stendel after such a short period of time and given he was denied the opportunity to play out the season is really surprising to me. Things take time to work. Radical changes to playing style more so. 

Exactly, so why this thread that started in November? Doesn't Neilson get the same time? And is a relegation battle really the time to focus on "playing style"? You just have to graft and win points not play exciting football.

We can only judge Stendel on what he did not what he might have done given more time. He only won 3 more points in the 9 games after the break than Levein won in his last 9 games before getting sacked, and as said the was with many more options to choose from especially up front and in defence.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Exactly, so why this thread that started in November? Doesn't Neilson get the same time? And is a relegation battle really the time to focus on "playing style"? You just have to graft and win points not play exciting football.

We can only judge Stendel on what he did not what he might have done given more time. He only won 3 more points in the 9 games after the break than Levein won in his last 9 games before getting sacked, and as said the was with many more options to choose from especially up front and in defence.

Neilson will get more time. It was an idiotic thread in October and still is. I see no need to compare neilson to DS. I wanted DS to stay but I now fully support neilson and hope he gets the time to put the side together that he wants. As for playing style, the board new what they were getting with DS, their naivety is not Stendel’s fault. 

That’s my whole point, we can’t judge Stendel at all because he didn’t have the time or resources to judge him. 

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Did the club not know what he was all about when they sought his services? What did they talk about? Wrong man at the wrong time. Dissing Stendel is a red herring.

The club ****ed up, not appreciating the seriousness of the situation until it was too late. Operating in a vacuum whilst other teams created squads robust enough to survive on a pittance. That is it. 

Psychedelicropcircle
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

This ⬆️ And in stendels defence he inherited a team who’d spent two years being told take no risks. He tried to implement his style which was the opposite. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Official Neilson Out Thread ( merged )