Let it Snow

Greedy Jambo

48 minutes ago, tian447 said:

What the **** were they thinking approaching a steep hill at that speed, in the snow? :vrface: 

Brakes locked on, futile attempt turning against the direction of the slide (with the indicator going on - lol), and they've only cleared the front window of their vehicle (back window wiper has done some of the work).

Their insurance company will be rubbing their hands together seeing that footage going on Twitter.

The video doesn’t do the hill justice with how steep it actually is 

The car that crashed first was a Tesla and they don’t come cheap. Got that video on my phone but don’t know how to post it 

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Harry Potter

• The Real Maroonblood

• Tazio

1 hour ago, tian447 said:

What the **** were they thinking approaching a steep hill at that speed, in the snow? :vrface: 

Brakes locked on, futile attempt turning against the direction of the slide (with the indicator going on - lol), and they've only cleared the front window of their vehicle (back window wiper has done some of the work).

Their insurance company will be rubbing their hands together seeing that footage going on Twitter.

Dear oh dear.  What was he thinking?  Going too fast for the conditions, then locking his brakes on a snow-covered hill.

1 hour ago, Homme said:

Still bloody snowing. 

I love it! 

looking like this morning is the last of it I’m afraid but there has been loads dumped the last two days 

Why do folk clear their paths and the pavement near their house? Genuine question. 

If anything that lovely deep snow is safe to walk in. That cleared path they've made is just a toboggan run now.

Malinga the Swinga
12 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Why do folk clear their paths and the pavement near their house? Genuine question. 

If anything that lovely deep snow is safe to walk in. That cleared path they've made is just a toboggan run now.

I clear mine as I live near Pentlands, and if you don't clear same day, it freezes overnight and the lovely snow becomes solid ice. Same goes for road as cars slide everywhere. 

Clear snow then put salt/grit down. It's minus 8 tonight and ice harder to clear than snow. 

Moving back after 10 years in Boston area, found it unbelievable how many folks don't clear the pavement in front of their house.  In our town (Brookline) you had 24 hours after a snowstorm ended to clear pavement in front of your house or you got a ticket/fined.  Worked great and within 24 hours clear paths for everyone to get around.

Here, apparently i have to learn to walk like a penguin!  Neighbours also think i'm daft when i'm out with my snow shovel and grit.

52 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Someone could perhaps clear this up as I think somebody told me that if you cleared the pavement and somebody slipped on the ice that formed as a result then you could be liable?

It could be total bollocks of course.

Edited by frankblack

1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

I did mine yesterday and again this morning. If you dont and you continue to walk on it, it compresses the snow which sometimes can end up like blocks of ice when the melt starts. What I mean is that the last part to go is the footprints where you walked and if theres a freeze overnight that footstep is welded to the path for days. 

Plus it keeps your feet dry when you need to go to the recycling bins or the shed or whatever.

Also, it is one of those things that feels and looks quite rewarding once its all cleared and neat.

I don't do the path outside the boundary though.

Edited by Pans Jambo

11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Someone could perhaps clear this up as I think somebody told me that if you cleared the pavement and somebody slipped on the ice that formed as a result then you could be liable?

Not a chance, unless you did something like pouring water on it and turning it into an ice rink.

Horatio Caine
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not a chance, unless you did something like pouring water on it and turning it into an ice rink.

Watching too much Home Alone!

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

You can never watch too much Home Alone, apart from the later ones, they're pish.

if you really think about it kevin mccallister is a psychopath and potentially his family are gangsters

At least another 3 to 4 inches of snow here in Innerleithen overnight.

Mrs JJ, said that her journey down to work at 6 this morning was interesting to say the least, couldn't see the road as there was inches of snow lying on top of it. 

Took her an hour to drive the 15 miles to the hospital, it was only once she got near Galashiels that the roads had been partially cleared.

Currently cut off here, well from the Peebles side, tractor overturned near Glentress around about 7 this morning and has shut the A72 between Peebles & Innerleithen and the police have closed the back road (Traquair) because of the snow and people getting stuck etc etc.

Sake, after clearing pavement outside house, it's started again in Priestfield.

Actually no bother really cos leaving it to last drop of snow is just harder to do as it compacts and leaves icy bits that folk can slip on.

Edited by DETTY29

Pair of teenagers outside my local Tesco moaning about the cold and how they were miserable. Well that will be the standard grey cotton troosers with canvas shoes and no socks you twats. And nobody asked you to spend the afternoon standing around the street corners. How the **** do people not own at least one pair of sensible shoes or boots? I’m sure there are families who have the excuse of lack of money but these were in branded expensive shit head to foot, and there isn’t exactly a lot of crushing poverty around Cramond Road South. 

When you folks refer to pavement is that what we call a sidewalk over here, our sidewalks are mostly cement, the pavement is on the road, surely you are not responsible for road clearing?

The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, gator said:

When you folks refer to pavement is that what we call a sidewalk over here, our sidewalks are mostly cement, the pavement is on the road, surely you are not responsible for road clearing?

That's correct about pavement. 

50 minutes ago, gator said:

Based on some of the pictures I've seen in the last couple of days, it looks like nobody is responsible for road clearing. :wink:

4 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Based on some of the pictures I've seen in the last couple of days, it looks like nobody is responsible for road clearing. :wink:

Agree, it looks like chaos in some of these pics and videos posted, although  Edinburgh is in a higher latitude than us they get a lot less snow and probably don't have the snow clearing capability, also they are not all driving Jeeps and pick-ups like many of us! 

3 minutes ago, gator said:

Agree, it looks like chaos in some of these pics and videos posted, although  Edinburgh is in a higher latitude than us they get a lot less snow and probably don't have the snow clearing capability, also they are not all driving Jeeps and pick-ups like many of us! 

Never mind 4x4s most people don’t even seem to own decent footwear. I was in New York with work a couple of years ago and there was a massive unexpected snowfall overnight that lasted for 24 hours of constant heavy snow. Almost instantly every person seemed to have sensible clothing and footwear. I suppose it helps when you know it’s guaranteed almost every year. 

I hope you had the proper gear living in New York, they get some good storms on the Eastern Seaboard, as you say every year it is going to happen, just noticed your reference to my favourite BH Surfers album! 👍

You can't clear the pavements/sidewalks that quickly and many of them are the responsibility of householders

It's also pointless if it continues to snow and looking outside it's coming down heavily

The main roads are being gritted as and when they can but if you live in Edinburgh you can hardly be surprised that the side roads will take another 48 hours or so to be dealt with

Once every few years we get weather like this but not every year and we just have to put up with it

The worst thing is the freezing of the ground once it has partly thawed on pavements and side roads especially those on a hill

Look out the hill walking boots, hope the ground does not thaw then freeze and use the local shops.....I doubt the police will be chasing people asking why they are out and about

Oh and then cry a little when the next energy bill arrives !!!

Edited by CJGJ

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

Nah, that was one of those bullshit rumours that done the rounds during the Beast from the East storms. The kind of thing that they then discussed on Matthew Wright and This Morning.

Partial snow melt which has left the roads wet.............and now it's freezing........oh fecking fun.

I'd hope the main roads are being gritted..........the B roads and residential streets however, are going to be like a sheet of ice soon.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

The overnight  temps forecast are horrendous. -12 here in Uphall forecast.

Good luck with that.

9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

😭

The wife will want the heating on.

Tell her to put another coat on.

I mean on top of the one she's already got on.

Maroon Sailor
2 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Tell her to put another coat on.

I mean on top of the one she's already got on.

20210125_133533.jpg

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

The overnight  temps forecast are horrendous. -12 here in Uphall forecast.

I’m a bit further west and it’s looking like -16 at 0200. 

Almost 20cm of fresh snow here this morning with somewhere around the same amount forecast for tomorrow, that makes this cross country skier happy!😀🕸️

On 10/02/2021 at 21:44, Cade said:

Major Pandemic on and the soap dodgers are having open air raves in the street

:vrface:

Just take a look at that and its no wonder the West Coast can't get its infection rates down.

Edit: Just seen the other posts saying its Amsterdam.

Edited by frankblack